Liverpool

Sally Cinnamon

Who are they likely to get rid of/bring in this Summer? Carragher retired and Kolo Toure in so far. Coutinho is a quality signing but who else will they sign in this window. Another centre half, surely? Centre forward? Who are they being linked with, Tello? Is that likely?

Will be an important transfer window for Rodgers, interested to see what he does. Hopefully he'll feck it up, obviously.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Who are they likely to get rid of/bring in this Summer? Carragher retired and Kolo Toure in so far. Coutinho is a quality signing but who else will they sign in this window. Another centre half, surely? Centre forward? Who are they being linked with, Tello? Is that likely?

Will be an important transfer window for Rodgers, interested to see what he does. Hopefully he'll feck it up, obviously.
Looking at their end of season form they're only a couple of quality players away from challenging for a top 4 spot.

Keeping Suarez is paramount of course but a decent centre half and another forward; Sterling is a kid who'll burn out if played too much.They're beginning to gel but squad depth will find them out

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
They seem likely to sign Begovic, which would be a very good signing for them (much more reliable than Reina). Was probably one of the top 3 keepers last season.
Not sure who else but unless they spend very wisely, I can't see them getting a top 4 spot again, best they can hope for is a 5th place finish at a stretch really. Suarez staying should be their main priority.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Any news on how much they will be paying Toure. If it's not a lot or a pay as you play then it's great business, but if he's on big money then it's not.

I can see them continuing with the policy of getting young technical players on the semi-cheap from around Europe and supplementing with a loanee or two from some of the big European clubs.

With Moyes gone I suspect they will leapfrog Everton but that's where it gets difficult. There's none of the top 5 vunerable enough to being reeled in by Liverpool just yet. United, City and Chelsea are on a different level entirely while Spurs and Arsenal will both look to strengthen. If Spurs lose Bale they will surely spend big in the summer reenforcing what they have. They really are the only other team I could see Liverpool have any chance of going past next season.

6th will be a small improvement for them.
5th will be a surprise and a major achievement.
Top four will be near impossible.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
Definitely a centre-half, maybe two. Toure's an unexciting transfer, but probably a necessary one in light of Carragher retiring. Ashley Williams might be a possibility too if Skrtel hits the road. Their defence in general needs an upgrade as they're nowhere near good enough to challenge the top sides.

Their midfield is a bit wishy-washy. Lucas is a good defensive midfielder, Gerrard's got a bit left in the tank & Coutinho looks good but the rest are average, especially out wide.

A lot of what they do will be dictated by whether Suarez sticks around or not. If an offer between £35-40m came in I think they might take it. Maybe Mr. Football will be able to do something useful with that money.

They're a mile off challenging United, Chelsea, City or Arsenal anyway. I haven't been worried about them since 2009 & that was when they had Gerrard at the peak of his powers with Xabi Alonso in midfield & Fernando Torres who was arguably the best striker in the world at the time. They were a formidable side back then and they still couldn't beat us to the title, so you can be sure as night follows day that if they couldn't beat us with that lot then they sure as feck won't come anywhere near us with the shower of shite they have now.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Looking at their end of season form they're only a couple of quality players away from challenging for a top 4 spot.

Keeping Suarez is paramount of course but a decent centre half and another forward; Sterling is a kid who'll burn out if played too much.They're beginning to gel but squad depth will find them out
I agree with this, but it's interesting that we're basing it on their end of season form.. an end of season without Suarez.

Problem is, getting a few 'top quality' players isn't exactly easy any more. There's added competition in both this league and other leagues this season, with every team seemingly in the market for players.

They have no European football to offer, not even the Europa league - and when players look at it, will they think 'they're only a couple of top players off CL spots' or will they think 'they're 12 points and there are a couple of teams between them and CL spots'.

Their recent transfer dealings are killer for me. I see no more huge money risks being made on young unproved yet promising players. Their owners seem to have their head screwed on contrary to popular belief on here, I think they have learnt their lesson and will take a more hands-on and cautious approach with future signings rather than delegate the power and put their trust in others - we saw an example of this with the departure of Carroll and no replacement - they didn't want to rush or be forced into a signing.

I don't expect them to make the signings necessary for a top 4 place next season, I wouldn't be surprised by a cup run which sees them gain entry into Europa League the season after.

As for signings? Begovic would be a good buy. Reina isn't so solid anymore, he's still good but I think Begovic would offer more. His distribution doesn't seem to be as great, but it's hard to tell with him playing for Stoke.
They need a quality central defender to start with Agger, a no-nonsense physical brute who can head the ball and clear the lines. Agger is a good defender, but looks far better playing alongside somebody who can clear the area, win headers, and has a presence. I don't think Toure was bought with this intention, I think he was bought as a squad player.
It'll be interesting to see Coutinho next season.. He was able to play in his best position due to the Suarez ban. Will they make sure they play him in this position next season? It'll be interesting. I expect him to lose some of his momentum, generally expect players to either have a great start to the PL with a more average second season or the opposite.

Liverpool fans have the problem England fans do. They expect and want too much, put far too much pressure on the team. I predict a 6th place finish and runners up in either the League or FA Cup. If Spurs lose Bale and don't strengthen, they've got a shout at 5th - but I expect Spurs to keep Bale and strengthen.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Christian Atsu, Begovic/Alex McCarthy and some mediocre player from Eriedevisie.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
We can with the right signings challenge Arsenal and Tottenham. Of course we have ground to catch up but I think it's a realistic aim to challenge them for 4th.

To do that we obviously need a good transfer window.

A dominant centre half who is good in the air is essential.

Can also see us looking at a left back, wide player and maybe another striker.
Might depend on who leaves also, loads of rumours about Skrtel, Coates, Reina and Carroll.
Guess we need to wait and see what happens.

Too many names to list about possible new players. I see a couple of new one's every day talked about.

Irwinwastheking

I agree johnny that fourth has to be your target, but I see it as being a target that will be well out of your reach next season.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I agree johnny that fourth has to be your target, but I see it as being a target that will be well out of your reach next season.
I honestly don't know where we will finish, I don't think Arsenal and Tottenham are significantly better to rule out overtaking them.
That said to get in front of both and the lot from over the side of the park will be far from easy.

Signings of Coutinho's stature will be needed and having a very good transfer window is a must, especially given you would expect the others to strengthen too.
If we can get the right players and make a good start to the season then we have a chance.

Time will tell.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Where is Coutinho going to play? He seems to be being switched around but most times I have seen him for Pool he's out on the left, which I don't think is his best position

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Where is Coutinho going to play? He seems to be being switched around but most times I have seen him for Pool he's out on the left, which I don't think is his best position
Depends on whether Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho all play in the same team regularly.
I think just behind a front man makes the best use of his excellent vision and passing.

I suppose with them 3 there is some flexibility.

Irwinwastheking

You could potentially play a similar system to what we could play with Coutinho, Sturridge and Suarez taking the place of Kagawa, Rooney and RvP.

That all depends on whether either or both of us hold onto our forwards. Maybe a swap deal??

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Looks like he should play infront of the midfield between the lines.
Depends on whether Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho all play in the same team regularly.
I think just behind a front man makes the best use of his excellent vision and passing.

I suppose with them 3 there is some flexibility.
Yeah exactly, this was my opinion on his best role too.

Might not be able to play there though it depends on so many decisions by Rodgers, there really is a lot of options. If he decided to play Sturridge on the left then you could go with Coutinho behind Suarez and maybe Sterling on the right?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Finishing less than 6th will be a failure. Tottenham keeping Bale will mean that they won't crack the top 5 just yet. When he leaves they will have a better chance.

Irwinwastheking

Finishing less than 6th will be a failure. Tottenham keeping Bale will mean that they won't crack the top 5 just yet. When he leaves they will have a better chance.
I think that's the key before we can really assess Liverpool's chances of fifth we need to know if Bale stays or goes.

Problem for Liverpool is that despite how important Bale was to the team, if he goes Spurs will have some 100m to spend this summer and they're not a team afraid of spending.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Thing is, Liverpool is still probably a bigger attraction to a player than Spurs, no?

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
I don't think we have seen enough of Coutinho for him to be getting the praise that he is. Talented player but I need to see more of him.

Irwinwastheking

Thing is, Liverpool is still probably a bigger attraction to a player than Spurs, no?
I think that's fair in football terms. Certainly more people from around Europe will be familiar with Liverpool than with Spurs, but most players will look into the full package. Spurs at the moment have an exciting team, a young successful manager, are able to pay very good wages, are in Europe, and importantly are in London and not Liverpool.

All things being equal for a young player coming to England for the first time promised equal opportunities in the team and the same money where would he go?

I don't think we have seen enough of Coutinho for him to be getting the praise that he is. Talented player but I need to see more of him.
No-one if saying he's a world beater yet but he has shown glimpses of being very very talented.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Agreed. This full season will be interesting. I think he and Sterling are just to lightweight and not powerful enough to sustain domination of the kind that Liverpool require to take them higher up in the league.

The gloss of his and Sturridge's signing will well and truly have worn off by the seasons start next year.

The volatility of Suarez also puts a huge question mark on their team and it's not just whether he will play enough games in a season. His goals and conversion ratio is unpredictable. He also misses a lot of chances and even with the amount of goals he scored they didn't effect Liverpool's overall position in the league. Which is something to think about for Rogers.

If he's going to persist with 4-3-3/4-5-1 then he's going to need a better all round ball player come ball winner than Lucas and a better and more comfortably suited deeper playmaker than Gerard who spends his time camped in his zone looking for hollywood passes. He needs to be moving the ball a lot more in this day and age of the Premier League.

Why? Both clubs would be pretty equal. It's hard to keep telling yourself when a club is going backwards/staying the same that they are historically amazing. I said when they first dropped out of the CL "A player will have to physically wan't to go to Liverpool. They will have to know about that history" and that the 'allure' is going to wear off pretty quickly.

Liverpool is a bit of a laughing stock to be honest.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
For me, Coutinho's gone massively under the radar since his move in January. He's been an absolute revelation and if our season didn't just meander out in the shit way it did (and we actually challenged for something meaningful) then he'd have got more recognition. If he can continue the same form into next season and show it for the whole year then he could be a player of the year candidate in 12 months. He's genuinely been that good.

More additions like him and Sturridge and we're certainly moving in the right direction. I think next year will be too soon for top 4 though.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
I think that's fair in football terms. Certainly more people from around Europe will be familiar with Liverpool than with Spurs, but most players will look into the full package. Spurs at the moment have an exciting team, a young successful manager, are able to pay very good wages, are in Europe, and importantly are in London and not Liverpool.

All things being equal for a young player coming to England for the first time promised equal opportunities in the team and the same money where would he go?

No-one if saying he's a world beater yet but he has shown glimpses of being very very talented.
I agree he is talented but all the talk of 'and Coutinho' he hasn't done enough to warrant that yet for me.

Devil may care

I keep seeing Liverpool linked with a Greek CB, if he's good and they are just using Kolo Toure as a squad player than that would be a solid start.

Given Rodgers likes to play 3 CM's I think an addition there is needed, maybe someone like Wanyama, of course Jay Spearing could be brought back...

With Suarez, Coutinho, Sturridge, Downing, Borini, Suso and Sterling all competing for the front 3 spots I'd imagine at least one would probably have to go to make room for another forward unless Sterling and/or Suso goes on loan.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
of course Jay Spearing could be brought back...
As limited a player as he is he looked quite capable at the back end of Kenny's first season. Only to get shafted and sent out on loan when Allen came in. Which was quite bizarre really.

Claymore

I haven't been worried about them since 2009 & that was when they had Gerrard at the peak of his powers with Xabi Alonso in midfield & Fernando Torres who was arguably the best striker in the world at the time. They were a formidable side back then and they still couldn't beat us to the title, so you can be sure as night follows day that if they couldn't beat us with that lot then they sure as feck won't come anywhere near us with the shower of shite they have now.

This ^. Carragher like Gerrard, was also younger and in prime. Mascherano as well and ugly Kuyt also worked hard out wide and stole a few goals. Now their team is much poorer. Coutinho and Suarez did well, Sturridge is over rated and like a new Defoe but gets goals. Lots of shooting, lots of speed. Gerrard has had his day.

Rodgers will go on about "the group" but the truth is they won a trophy last season under Kenny and came in the same place of the league just about, so they've gone backwards. Its United, Chelsea, City, no chance, then one other from the Spurs, Arsenal etc. Will be tough to get in that, (see Spurs).

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
I keep seeing Liverpool linked with a Greek CB, if he's good and they are just using Kolo Toure as a squad player than that would be a solid start.

Given Rodgers likes to play 3 CM's I think an addition there is needed, maybe someone like Wanyama, of course Jay Spearing could be brought back...

With Suarez, Coutinho, Sturridge, Downing, Borini, Suso and Sterling all competing for the front 3 spots I'd imagine at least one would probably have to go to make room for another forward unless Sterling and/or Suso goes on loan.
I think it's Kyriakos Papadopoulos. He was also linked with us after some very good performances in the Euros last year. There is a possibility that they can price him away from Schalke, after Santana's switch from Dortmund.

I am not sure how he has done for Schalke this season. May be one of the German posters can enlighten us.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Never seen a player impress so much with so little fanfare as Coutinho. He just keeps creating goals when he is not scoring them. I will never understood why Inter let him go at that price.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Shhh, lets all agree Coutinho is nothing to look at. Nothing to see, move along 'big clubs'.

Our whole backline is undergoing a major operation, gonna be hard sustaining a top four challenge with that kind of change. Though we could hit lucky like when we signed Hyppia, Henchoz and Dudek all in one go and had a very good season defensively.

The Man City scouts who arrived at Xmas and subsequently strongly urged Brendan to buy Sturridge and Coutinho, are doing all the good work in the background this summer. Thank God we're not being linked with Charlie Adam-esque mediocrity. Happy (or just relieved) with the names I'm seeing so far.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Who are the names so far? (especially in defence) Saw Kolo Touré is one, not impressed at all with that, but it might be a bit of interesting business depending on wages and if he's going to be used as backup. But it's not someone you want to rebuild your defence around.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
How many are realistic targets though, mate? Eriksen? No chance. That Papadopolous chap? He seems to be decent but he'll hardly relish leaving Champions League football for no European football whatsoever.

The fact remains, Liverpool are in a current predicament whereby they are hampered with who they can afford and who they can attract. Young, unproven players are their best bets, but they are also not guaranteed to succeed. Coutinho looks a player but for every Coutinho, Liverpool appear to buy three of the ilk of Danny Wilson, who arrived in a plethora of plaudits, never played and has been shipped back to Scotland already.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
So far its Papadopolous and Ilori from Porto. Alderweid too, despite him being close to signing for someone else. Thankfully the Ashley Williams rumours are dying down by the minute, possibly because FSG will simply not allow Brendan to go against the Man City scouts' reports.

Not saying we'll get any of the above, but its 'refreshing' ;) that we're not linked with as much mediocrity as we generally are.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Who are the names so far? (especially in defence) Saw Kolo Touré is one, not impressed at all with that, but it might be a bit of interesting business depending on wages and if he's going to be used as backup. But it's not someone you want to rebuild your defence around.
Begovic to replace Reina

Papadopolous & Ilori for centreback (toure already signed).

Lucas Digne for leftback.

Christian Eriksen for midfield.

seem to be the main targets. Spearing, Assaidi, Reina, Skretl, Coates and Shelvey seem the most likely exits. Downing could leave too, but I don't think it is terribly likely.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I doubt you'll get Lucas Digne, but if you do, then that'd be a good buy, he looks like the real deal. Papadopolous would also be a major improvement on what you have at the moment and would be a good signing for sure, sounds realistic. However, he'd probably be quite expensive as he still has three years on his contract. Don't know anything about Ilori though, and I really doubt Eriksen will sign for you (isn't he rumoured to go to Dortmund? Much more attractive for that type of player!).

But I understand what you mean.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Where has this 'Eriksen-to-Liverpool' rumour come from? More pertinently, why? Eriksen is not going to join Liverpool this transfer window, nor any transfer window for that matter. If he's leaving Ajax, it's to a top-end football club and Liverpool aren't in this bracket currently. Eriksen is more suited to Arsenal/Dortmund at the moment and that's the level he's targeting I'd imagine.