Liverpool's GK's since Grobbelaar

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Reina was always a bit of a clown even when he was decent. Then he went full time clown mode in his last couple of seasons so they got rid.
He kept a million clean sheets in 05/06 and 06/07 if you look back at those seasons.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Dudek was a mix bag, great games and some terrible ones. I think that competing with Kirkland ( who was the golden boy of English press at that time) hindered Dudek's chances to establish himself as top keeper.

also I don't recall Brad Firedel playing for Pool. I always considered him a very good keeper.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
While Reina was the best of that lot he was still pretty much the Spanish Barthez, capable of astonishing world class saves but then also really terrible mistakes (the one away to Everton will always live long in the memories of great goalkeeping mistakes)

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
His Dad won a massive bet from that.
From Wiki

International career
Kirkland won eight caps with the England national under-21 team and was regularly selected for the senior squad from 2003 onwards,[6] but did not make an appearance until he came on as a substitute for the second half of a friendly against Greece in August 2006.[55]When Kirkland was eleven years old, his father and some family friends had placed bets of £100 each at 100/1 odds that he would play for England before the age of 30; Kirkland's appearance netted the group £10,000 each

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
While Reina was the best of that lot he was still pretty much the Spanish Barthez, capable of astonishing world class saves but then also really terrible mistakes (the one away to Everton will always live long in the memories of great goalkeeping mistakes)
True - Good with his feet though - cant help thinking he would actually be rated a bit higher now days with the increased emphasis on keepers being able to pass the ball well

Akshay

Staff
Reina was top class in his prime - turned shit at the end. The rest have been poor.

Mignolet is an absolute soft dope and should have been gone years ago.
I remember Reina not being at his best near the end - but surely he was still better than the likes of Mignolet or Karius? Would have been better to keep him given the replacements.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
True - Good with his feet though - cant help thinking he would actually be rated a bit higher now days with the increased emphasis on keepers being able to pass the ball well
I did wonder if Pep may have gone for him last summer considering he had him for a season at Bayern Munich.

Benitez wants him but why would you swop Napoli for Newcastle?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Friedel was poor for us. He later stated that failing at Liverpool was the wakeup call he needed to really start his career.

Dudek was very good for one season, then pish.

Of the lot, only reina was good enough for where we wanted to be

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Money?... I think his wages were lowered by Napoli
http://ghanasoccernet.com/napoli-offer-pepe-reina-new-contract-but-salary-reduced
If it is now less than €2m a year whats that €38k a week or around £35k a week... I guess Newcastle could offer a fair bit higher?
Maybe but he is playing for a team with the profile of Liverpool. Napoli are regularly in CL and could win Seria A this season.

Goes to Newcastle and best they can do is stay up. He'll probably be long retired by the time they get good again.

PaulRich

Mike Hooper is missing from the list

Not that would help improve it any

Skills

Snitch
He kept a million clean sheets in 05/06 and 06/07 if you look back at those seasons.
That was basically because he never used to miss games. In all 3 of his golden globe seasons he played all 38 games. VDS and Cech were often more likely to get a CS but missed a few matches or were rested so didn't win.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Maybe but he is playing for a team with the profile of Liverpool. Napoli are regularly in CL and could win Seria A this season.

Goes to Newcastle and best they can do is stay up. He'll probably be long retired by the time they get good again.
True - I guess it comes down to the fact that perhaps he has one contract left in him to financially secure his and his family's future as best he can.
I'm sure he would love to win a title
I'm sure he is already by most peoples standards exceptionally wealthy
I'm also sure having an extra Million or two to hand onto his kids is something that he would love to do.
Its up to him to weigh it up but honestly could see the arguments for either decision... if it was me Id be wanting my agent to use the supposed interest and get me some extra cash and have the best of both worlds

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
That was basically because he never used to miss games. In all 3 of his golden globe seasons he played all 38 games. VDS and Cech were often more likely to get a CS but missed a few matches or were rested so didn't win.
Maybe but let's remember he was behind a defence of Finnan-Carragher-Finnan-Riise in that period so not comparable to the back 4s Man. United and Chelsea had back then.

I said on the other page he was the first real sweeper keeper in the premier league. Watch Liverpool in that period and that back 4 was parked on the halfway line as any ball over the top he'd come out of his box to clear.

Occasioningly it would cost them a goal but it's the same principal with Neuer at Munich.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
True - I guess it comes down to the fact that perhaps he has one contract left in him to financially secure his and his family's future as best he can.
I'm sure he would love to win a title
I'm sure he is already by most peoples standards exceptionally wealthy
I'm also sure having an extra Million or two to hand onto his kids is something that he would love to do.
Its up to him to weigh it up but honestly could see the arguments for either decision... if it was me Id be wanting my agent to use the supposed interest and get me some extra cash and have the best of both worlds
Napoli players must be getting huge bonuses if they win Seria A.

Imagine being the first group of players since Maradona era to win Seria A and also deny Juventus a title.

Hamsik isn't doing his captain's job properly if he hasn't negotiated a couple of million for everyone if that happens.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
05/06 and 06/ 07 were the seasons mentioned

Anyway
Reina played
05/06 32 league games
06/07 35 league games
not as you claim 38 in all three seasons (he did play 38 the following season where he also won the golden glove)

Chech played
05/06 34 Games (more than Reina)
06/07 20 Games
Chech suffered that horrible injury on 14 October 06

Van Der Sar Played
05/06 38 games (more than Reina)
06/07 32 Games

So yeah I think Chech and VDS are better keepers but your just plain wring with what you say ref the seasons mentioned

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepe_Reina
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petr_Čech
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_van_der_Sar

Skills

Snitch
Maybe but let's remember he was behind a defence of Finnan-Carragher-Finnan-Riise in that period so not comparable to the back 4s Man. United and Chelsea had back then.

I said on the other page he was the first real sweeper keeper in the premier league. Watch Liverpool in that period and that back 4 was parked on the halfway line as any ball over the top he'd come out of his box to clear.

Occasioningly it would cost them a goal but it's the same principal with Neuer at Munich.
That's hardly a bad defense and it was coached by benitez who did a good job of protecting them.

05/06 and 06/ 07 were the seasons mentioned

Anyway
Reina played
05/06 32 league games
06/07 35 league games
not as you claim 38 in all three seasons (he did play 38 the following season where he also won the golden glove)

Chech played
05/06 34 Games (more than Reina)
06/07 20 Games
Chech suffered that horrible injury on 14 October 06

Van Der Sar Played
05/06 38 games (more than Reina)
06/07 32 Games

So yeah I think Chech and VDS are better keepers but your just plain wring with what you say ref the seasons mentioned

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepe_Reina
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petr_Čech
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_van_der_Sar
Fair fecks. I fecked up.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
With nearly 300 apps & more than 100 goals, over 6 seasons....winning 3 EPLs, 1 CL and 1 WCC?

Suarez had 133 apps, 82 goals in 4 seasons. Mascherano had 2 goals in 139 apps over 5 seasons. Both winning fack all.

Fair to say that Ronaldo had an influence on his club and his club, an influence on him. Your club, nowadays, espouses mediocrity like it's going out of fashion.
This is honestly just stupid.

The mental gymnastics to try and discredit Liverpool on that post is just silly.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Since 1957 until 1994 we had three first choice keepers. Tommy Lawrence ( 1957 - 1971 ) , Ray Clemence ( 1971 - 1981 ) , Bruce Grobelaar ( 1981 - 1994 ). Mike Hooper stood in for Grobelaar a few times in the mid / late 80's if I remember correctly. A long serving keeper is essential to any successful team. United had Schmeichel. If a new defender comes into the team then he must feel more confident with a Clemence or Schmeichel who has been there for seasons. Like a few have said apart from Riena the rest have been good some games , average ability or shite . It's another area of our current that needs vastly improving.

surf

Since 1957 until 1994 we had three first choice keepers. Tommy Lawrence ( 1957 - 1971 ) , Ray Clemence ( 1971 - 1981 ) , Bruce Grobelaar ( 1981 - 1994 ). Mike Hooper stood in for Grobelaar a few times in the mid / late 80's if I remember correctly. A long serving keeper is essential to any successful team. United had Schmeichel. If a new defender comes into the team then he must feel more confident with a Clemence or Schmeichel who has been there for seasons. Like a few have said apart from Riena the rest have been good some games , average ability or shite . It's another area of our current that needs vastly improving.
The flying pig didn't play until their promotion season in 62/63. Clemence was the best of that trio, good enough to keep Shilton out of the England team for quite a few years.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
The flying pig didn't play until their promotion season in 62/63. Clemence was the best of that trio, good enough to keep Shilton out of the England team for quite a few years.

I had to google him being honest as wasn't born until 71. I knew he played throughout the sixties and was first choice. Clemence was good. I seen him as a kid a few times but lets be honest at that age you are just in awe of it all and buzzing to be at the match. I can comment on Grobelaar though. I think it was against Everton. He just started to dive to his right and the ball took a deflection. Somehow he changed his flight and caught the feckin thing.

Cloud7

Do you lot reckon Allison could break this duck? To be honest I think he is decent but is benefiting from a good Liverpool back line for once.
He certainly is better than what they’ve had this century probably, but still seems prone to the odd clanger. Shades of Lloris about him IMO. Quality, but you would worry about a moment of madness.

TheScriptwriter

Supports
Juventus
Allison is for sure better than the last few goalkeepers Liverpool had. And even when he makes a mistake it doesn't look like it affects his confidence while Mignolet and Karius were the total opposite.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Reina ended up leaving the club because he told Rodgers that if an offer came in from Barca, he was off. That left Rodgers with a dilemma on whether to bring in a new number 1 in anticipation of Reina leaving or a new sub keeper in case he stayed. Rodgers did what I think was the best thing and tried (albeit unsuccessfully) to get in a new number 1. We couldn't have gone into the season with our Doni and Jones as our keepers. He brought in Mignolet who had done really well at Sunderland but it obviously hasn't worked out.
Alisson is the type of goalkeeper signing that we've been craving for years. He's quick off his line, makes the routine saves look easy, makes the tough saves when needed, is good in one on one situations, has great distribution and is a massive calming influence on our back line.
I'd like to see him stop messing around with the ball at the back. Since that goal that Leicester scored against us, he's taken fewer risks but my heart is still in my mouth sometimes although that may be down to years of Mignolet/James experiences

Spark

Alisson is fantastic and it’s really irritating.

Very good signing. Bound to happen at some point, considering the utter dross goalkeepers Liverpool have had for the last 25 years. Reina was ok, but declined really quickly (if i remember correctly). The whole Mignolet/Karius situation was hilarious and it’s a shame that farce ended.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Karius’ performance in the CL final is the only time I’ve ever felt second-hand embarrassment for someone.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Dropped the ball against us.

Dropped the ball in the next match too but got away with it.

Alisson has a clanger in him hopefully that'll ruin their title bid.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Dropped the ball against us.

Dropped the ball in the next match too but got away with it.

Alisson has a clanger in him hopefully that'll ruin their title bid.
The one against Wolves is harsh. The ball deflected off of Lovren which meant he had to adjust.

Leicester and United are his two big clangers so far.

ROFLUTION

Didnt Alison have a dangerous dribbling in the beginning of the season too, where he lost the ball leading to a dangerous chance?

He looks like a good keeper, but not totally stable (yet)

St Red

KRAP
We're not out of the woods yet.
Our current keeper has made individual mistakes accounting for almost 30% of the goals we've conceded in the league so far. :rolleyes:

Kharhaz

Supports
Liverpool
Mike Hooper? Understudy to Grobbelaar, he was just plain rubbish. OK, he hardly ever got a game but when he did, you could see why he was an understudy!