Liverpool's inevitable q̶u̶a̶d̶r̶u̶p̶l̶e̶ tr̶i̶p̶l̶e̶ dibble/ The Hala Madrid Thread

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I mean they have to beat a pretty poor Villa team at home. If they don’t win that it’s one of the biggest chokes in PL history.
They lost to Norwich last season. It can happen.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
In the event Liverpool fail to win the title:

Having been in charge for the better part of a decade and claiming only a single league title in that time, is it fair to call Klopp a massive failure after all the money he has spent building the squad?

I think yes, it's very fair.

Also, is it time to consider sacking him for multiple failures?
An absolute stretch. They're a dominant team who are in an era with another dominant team. There's probably about 4 points between them in the last 4 seasons or so, and that's potentially 2 champions leagues in that time too.

If that's sackable and a failure, lord help the person who takes over.

TOPREDIAMNOT

The thing is with Liverpool....i do not think their team is that good. Yes they are obviously a good team with some great players. But they're punching way above their weight. Have been for years. It's the Klopp factor. Just like Fergie. EVERY player out there will sweat blood for the team. Should they have dominated Chelsea for long periods yesterday player for player. no. BUT they won most of the 50/50's. You could see they wanted it more than Chelsea. Contrast that to our lot...:-)

Klopp really does remind me of Fergie.
City will thrash Villa last game. At least it goes onto the last game (if Liverpol win their game in hand) Who is that against? I have lost interest in football this season.

GMok

Supports
ATK Mohun Bagan FC
In the event Liverpool fail to win the title:

Having been in charge for the better part of a decade and claiming only a single league title in that time, is it fair to call Klopp a massive failure after all the money he has spent building the squad?

I think yes, it's very fair.

Also, is it time to consider sacking him for multiple failures?
No, he should be sacked for his smarmy grin and fake white teeth :drool:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
An absolute stretch. They're a dominant team who are in an era with another dominant team. There's probably about 4 points between them in the last 4 seasons or so, and that's potentially 2 champions leagues in that time too.

If that's sackable and a failure, lord help the person who takes over.
A sacking may be a little extreme given the circumstances. I'd settle for a 50% reduction to his yearly salary, in addition to a public flogging.

Edit: he should also have his teeth removed, like all of them.

Thanks @GMok

Relevant

In my head he's already sacked and United have just won the league......now.... where are my pills :nervous:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Just slapped another tenner at 10/1 on Liverpool to win the PL and CL from here. £1200 coming my way if they win the quad. I’m not suffering that without major compensation.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
If Liverpool beat Southampton and win the CL, but lose the league, will they be the team to have gotten closest to a quadruple?
Already the closest. United in 09 didn’t make the FA Cup final.

BaneIsPain

If this is inevitable, let this is the final peak and they will regress greatly.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
If Liverpool beat Southampton and win the CL, but lose the league, will they be the team to have gotten closest to a quadruple?
Yep, there’s a medal for that too.

‘Team that closest to quadruple’, congratulations mate.

BorisDeLeFora

All the talk of this being in the stars for Liverpool, if the CL is in the stars for anyone it's Real after that insanity of a run.

Cornish

The fact that all Man City have to play for this season now is the league could be a massive blessing! If they had the champions league final the week after I’d be seriously worried about them beating Villa with an eye on that. The fact that their whole season is down to that game gives me some hope!

fastwalker

Biggest achievement in the history of English football?

Who's going to start the fair play to Liverpool thread?
I would wait until the final whistle or penalty (assuming that it goes to a shoot out) on the night of the CL final before the plaudits are handed out. They have picked up two out of four are behind on the third and are favourites on paper for the fourth. Personally, I think they could well be more trophies in the bag. There are times when momentum seems to be with a team and it feels that way with Liverpool.

I will say this; Klopp has likely built the best Liverpool side that I can remember and I can remember all the way back to 1974. It is better than anything Shankly or Paisley built. Paisley's Liverpool were so good that on one occasion six Liverpool players were picked for an England game. The only side that can come near Klopp's current side is the Dalglish side of 1987/88. That was the one with John Barnes, John Aldridge and Ray Houghton et al. Even Brian Clough said it was the best Liverpool side he had ever seen and he was well placed to judge, since he had competed against some of the best Liverpool teams. Unfortunately, that side was never tested in Europe due to the Heysel tragedy and the resultant ban on English clubs. Therefore it is hard to say how good they really were. But in my opinion, Klopp's current crop are the best of the lot. Whilst he may never win as many league titles as Paisley, that should not take away from how truly outstanding his achievements have been.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
It's not a gamble. Kick hard to one corner perfectly your penalty can not be stopped by mortal goal keeper.

Takers that trains harder and mentally more prepared gets the score. It's hardly a gamble
You make it sound so easy...

Just kick hard in a precise corner and be mentally strong after 120 minutes of game in an FA Cup final? Got it :)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Phew. City losing would have been a disaster. With a draw they are fairly comfortable going into the last round. Anything can happen and Villa are capable of getting a draw but City should be confident of 3 points and winning the league.

sugar_kane

If Liverpool do the quad they should make sure Ed Woodward gets his medals too, he’s played a massive part in them getting to this level in the past 10 years by having us miss out on Klopp, let about three key members of their squad sign for them unchallenged and ground our club down to the point where we gifted them 6 points without even a fight this season.

Nero

Villa play Thursday night so hopefully that has some effect on them.

erikcred

Phew. City losing would have been a disaster. With a draw they are fairly comfortable going into the last round. Anything can happen and Villa are capable of getting a draw but City should be confident of 3 points and winning the league.
City losing as opposed to drawing would have changed very little. The only additional set of results that City can now get away with because of today's draw is them losing (but not too heavily) at home to Villa AND Liverpool drawing at home to wolves. And that's assuming Liverpool win handsomely at Southampton. Ignoring this somewhat unlikely set of results, City always needed to match or better Liverpool's result on the final day.

Shark

@NotShark
If they pull this off can't see anyone doing it again. Everything fell perfectly for them and it's during our worst period ever. This sport can be ruthlessly cruel.

always_hoping

This calendar year alone City have dropped points against

2 v Southampton (A)
3 v Spurs (H)
2 v Southampton (A)
2 v Liverpool (H)
2 v West ham (A)

A win in any of those games and the title would already be won by City as they wouldn't be caught on scoring difference.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You make it sound so easy...

Just kick hard in a precise corner and be mentally strong after 120 minutes of game in an FA Cup final? Got it :)
It's not easy for me, i'm not the 0.01% pro footballer earning hundreds of thousands of dollar weekly.

I get it mentality, fatigue, etc but you're paid to do wonders with football, getting shots on a target from a 12 yard should be a given. If you do funny funky runs, make sure you at least hit your target

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
It's not easy for me, i'm not the 0.01% pro footballer earning hundreds of thousands of dollar weekly.

I get it mentality, fatigue, etc but you're paid to do wonders with football, getting shots on a target from a 12 yard should be a given. If you do funny funky runs, make sure you at least hit your target
Can you name a pro footballer in that 0.01% bracket who always scores though? You can pick someone with a straight run-up, a pause, a placed kick or a powered kick. You can pick someone on any wage. The fact that you won’t be able to name anyone who always scores with whatever technique should surely teach you that it’s not as simple as you say. If you’ve got evidence that a certain technique is associated with a higher success ratio then fair play to you but I just don’t think you’ll be able to do it. Shearer was one of the highest earners of his era, and usually blasted them. Beckham was one of the best set piece takers of his era too. They both missed penalties. It’s pure hindsight to associate the run up with a failure.