Liverpool's inevitable q̶u̶a̶d̶r̶u̶p̶l̶e̶ tr̶i̶p̶l̶e̶ dibble/ The Hala Madrid Thread

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I think they will get a treble myself. FA Cup, Champions League, and League Cup.

City have an easier run in for the league and I could see them winning all their remaining games.

Being in this position is ridiculous, though. Not sure anyone has managed to get this close before.
In 2007 we were in with a shot right up until we lost the UCL semi.

MUW4Eva

They have already won the Women's Championship, so add that to the list of trophies, so it could be 5 trophies then for the club?

Which would be remarkable to be fair, not that I can see them winning all five.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
In 2007 we were in with a shot right up until we lost the UCL semi.
We (United) were super close in the 08/09 season too.

Won the league and the League cup.
Lost the final of the CL.
Lose the semi final of the FA Cup on penalties to Everton.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

Yeah that was bloody close. As if things weren't bad enough in those dark days.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

I wonder who would technically be closer.

I think timing wise it would be us but at the same time that would be offset by the fact you had control in the league in your respective season where we didn't.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Probably, but, I'd wait to see what happens when Klopp has to oversee a rebuild. It's the transitions from one excellent squad to another than makes a top ten manager. When Salah, Mane, VVD and co make way (and assuming Klopp is even there still), then the question of status can be established permanently.
Have you taken a look at the squad when Klopp took over in 15/16? Miglonet as our goalie. Clyne, Sakho, Lovren and Alberto Moreno-, yes Alberto Moreno in defense. We did have a Coutinho who wanted leave and Henderson in midfield. Forwards Firminio, Sturridge and Benteke. I think what he’s done qualifies as a rebuild no?

georgipep

Have you taken a look at the squad when Klopp took over in 15/16? Miglonet as our goalie. Clyne, Sakho, Lovren and Alberto Moreno-, yes Alberto Moreno in defense. We did have a Coutinho who wanted leave and Henderson in midfield. Forwards Firminio, Sturridge and Benteke. I think what he’s done qualifies as a rebuild no?
And you won nothing with the previous squad, right? That's what the other poster meant, to ensure success continuity while transitioning the squad

Hoof the ball

I would factor that as the initial build. When I refer to a rebuild, I'm specifically referring to the capacity to build a peak squad (Klopp current), and then transition into another subsequent period of success with another squad rebuild, both of which come from the same manager.

We already know how wildly successful this initial build has been for Klopp, but there are still questions to be asked as to whether he can do it again post Salah/Mane/VVD. The sentiment would be that, yes, if you do it once, you can do it again, but, history is replete with examples of world class manager's who couldn't transition to another elite winning side.

El Zoido

They’re going to do it, seems certain. They’re benefiting greatly by the fact that every other team in Europe is shite except for Man City and maybe, at a push, Real Madrid. But it is what it is.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
They’re going to do it, seems certain. They’re benefiting greatly by the fact that every other team in Europe is shite except for Man City and maybe, at a push, Real Madrid. But it is what it is.
In August Redcafe was putting us as 6th to 8th best squad in Europe behind the likes Chelsea, mighty Bayern and mighty PSG (not to mention Utd, chuckle; chuckle hard).

Now suddenly the whole of Europe is weak as feck and we're damn lucky (sorry "benefiting greatly"). This lack of simple understanding will be the reason Utd will also be waiting 30 years for their next league title. Take it from an old man who thought exactly the same on Redcafe 20 years ago. :angel:

El Zoido

In August Redcafe was putting us as 6th to 8th best squad in Europe behind the likes Chelsea, mighty Bayern and mighty PSG (not to mention Utd, chuckle; chuckle hard).

Now suddenly the whole of Europe is weak as feck and we're damn lucky (sorry "benefiting greatly"). This lack of simple understanding will be the reason Utd will also be waiting 30 years for their next league title. Take it from an old man who thought exactly the same on Redcafe 20 years ago. :angel:
Your strawman “Redcafe” means nothing. I had you for the title and for the CL. No other teams are any good. Every big team in Europe is in disarray, Spanish teams a disaster, Italy gone, Germany only has Bayern Munich and they aren’t what they were. PSG are a galactico mess. Never said you were lucky, but you and Man City are the only two proper good sides in the whole of Europe. Unless you want to pretend you’re facing a masterclass of European giants, have at it.

Steve Bruce

Given they’re guaranteed to be in the CL final has anyone been this close before? Chelsea in 07 went out at the CL semi final. Honestly think they will do this. Only thing stopping them is City in the league. Maybe Chelsea in the cup final?
City won the domestic treble 3 years ago, when did they get knocked out of CL?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The one they seem least likely to do is the league. I’m certain they have the CL in the bag and the FA Cup final would be won if the Quad was on the line. However, looking at City’s run in, the possibility of them just winning all their remaining games is very real.

Liverpool will probably win all theirs but that wouldn’t be enough.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
City won the domestic treble 3 years ago, when did they get knocked out of CL?
1/4 final. Chelsea 2007 are the only team where it was still possible in May.

United 2009 are the closest. 3 different results would have meant they won everything. I fancy that would have been 5 trophies that year as we also won the WCC.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
They'll win the quadruple. Weird thing is I don't even think they're in the top 5 teams in Premier league history, never mind before that. But luck, momentum and context are everything.
Nonsense if they win the Quadruple they are the best in Premier League history by a margin. They don’t do it though. It’s near enough impassible. I reckon they are more likely to lose out to City in the league and then lose one of the final cups.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Nonsense if they win the Quadruple they are the best in Premier League history by a margin. They don’t do it though. It’s near enough impassible. I reckon they are more likely to lose out to City in the league and then lose one of the final cups.
In many ways i fancy Villareal more than i do Bayern. Emery knows how to set up in Europe (all be it largely in the lesser one) while Nagelsmann is still a bit green despite his obvious quality and I feel Klopp would have picked him apart similar to how Tuchel did in the 2020 semi.

TrustInJanuzaj

In many ways i fancy Villareal more than i do Bayern. Emery knows how to set up in Europe (all be it largely in the lesser one) while Nagelsmann is still a bit green despite his obvious quality and I feel Klopp would have picked him apart similar to how Tuchel did in the 2020 semi.
Yeh you might be right. I do think they are being prematurely written off. Liverpool are rightly favs but you Ishtar get to a European semi through luck alone.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If Liverpool see off City in the league. Beat City or Real Madrid in the CL final and beat City and Chelsea on their way to winning the FA Cup having already beaten Chelsea in the League Cup final, I don't think there's any question they'll go down as the undisputed best team in PL history.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
And you won nothing with the previous squad, right? That's what the other poster meant, to ensure success continuity while transitioning the squad
Whether it’s successful or not, the rebuild started 18 months ago. The trick has been to do it without feeling like a transition is taking place.

Jota, Thiago, Diaz, Konate, Tsimikas, Elliott, Jones are all members of the first team squad who weren’t around in 19/20 (the last 2 being promoted from youth football).

Expect more players to be folded into first team action over the next 18 months.

TrustInJanuzaj

If Liverpool see off City in the league. Beat City or Real Madrid in the CL final and beat City and Chelsea on their way to winning the FA Cup having already beaten Chelsea in the League Cup final, I don't think there's any question they'll go down as the undisputed best team in PL history.
Begrudgingly agree. That would be an outrageous achievement. Would put Klopp on another level too, he’s already clear of Pep for me but that would truly cement it.

Pickle85

Yep, this is what I see happening too. They'll win a couple of cups but won't take the league and will flunk one of the three cups.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I'd agree with that.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Whether it’s successful or not, the rebuild started 18 months ago. The trick has been to do it without feeling like a transition is taking place.

Jota, Thiago, Diaz, Konate, Tsimikas, Elliott, Jones are all members of the first team squad who weren’t around in 19/20 (the last 2 being promoted from youth football).

Expect more players to be folded into first team action over the next 18 months.
This is one thing I think people are sleeping on. Klopp is setting the club up for when he leaves. His first team is ageing but he's buying quality to fill the roles. I think even if he leaves Liverpool will be in a good spot to continue.

georgipep

I think with Diaz, Jota, Konate and Tsimikas, you have a valid argument about the first transition. That is absolutely true, and we will see how successful they are when the trophy-winning first teamers are gone. If Klopp stays, that is.

dinostar77

Never wanted city to win the league so much. Will take any results that stop liverpool achieving this. Liverpool got some tough league fixtures so hopefully losing the league will see the house of cards collapse.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
I'd agree with that.
That's a scary thought. Please someone stop them.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That's a scary thought. Please someone stop them.
To think Mahrez had a good chance to sink them and increase the lead to 4 points.

BTW City have given up quite the lead haven't they? Had it sown up as per everyone some time back.

Eddy_JukeZ

The benefit of years of great recruitment is finally showing up. Liverpool have a superior squad to Manchester City and more "killers". It would be a fitting achievement for arguably the best team since Pep Guardiola's Barcelona.
You rate them really highly.

I think even after Pep's Barcelona, there's 2 teams you can argue strongly over this current Liverpool team. MSN Barca and Heynckes' Bayern

RopersReturn

Whats strange is that teams have known how strong this Liverpool side, (and to a lesser degree City & Chelsea), have been for the last few years, and yet time and again sit back in awe and allow them so much space and freedom. We already know that the majority of goals Liverpool score, come from accurate crosses by the exceptionally talented Trent and Robertson. Cut off that supply and at least you have a chance, yet most sides seem constantly too overwhelmed to react quickly by which point they’re 2-3 goals down.

Last edited:

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
It is sounding like Chelsea will need to be the savours of football again.

Loon

:lol:
Yet they mounted the worst defence of a premier league title in years. They’re yet to retain a title. This is the sort of knee-jerk hyperbole usually comes in from the Arsenal section. The invincible Arsenal section that also failed to retain a PL title. One lightning rod year in cup competitions does not make PL history.

ADDITIONAL: not to say if they did it it would not be an amazing achievement Of course.

Last edited:

Josh 76

The FA cup final is the one where I see the banana skin.
Chelsea only chance of a trophy, revenge the league cup final, and have chance to field a weaker team the game before the cup final, unlike Liverpool. (They have Villa away few days before).

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
The FA cup final is the one where I see the banana skin.
Chelsea only chance of a trophy, revenge the league cup final, and have chance to field a weaker team the game before the cup final, unlike Liverpool. (They have Villa away few days before).
No side has ever lost three FA Cup finals in a row as well. We could still end up with just the League Cup.