Liverpool's inevitable q̶u̶a̶d̶r̶u̶p̶l̶e̶ tr̶i̶p̶l̶e̶ dibble/ The Hala Madrid Thread

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
when City got a big lead
most of the time they can just cruise to the title
when opponent is within reach behind them, they tend to crumble.
City got very weak mentality.
I don’t think that’s the case. Look at 18/19 and how they dealt with us then.

erikcred

when City got a big lead
City players have a weak mentality. Not pep. Definitely not in the league. He'll get it done. I just hope Real are ready to play their part.

Josh 76

Not sure why people are saying Liverpool have the momentum. City have been playing better than Liverpool last few weeks. They only need one win. They will have had a full 7 days rest and be focused. It seems the pressure is all on Villa with all this Gerrard talk.

Spark

Villa are 15/1 to win with the bookies and 7/1 to draw, and rightly so. They're going to get easily brushed aside. With KDB rested (he usually looks worse when he plays midweek and then weekends) they'll create loads.

The only hope they'd have is if Villa used the Tottenham framework of sitting back and hitting fast on the counter, West Ham used it too. But I don't think Gerrard has the tactical nous for it, he'll setup with Watkins and Ings and try and play as normal and get torn apart.
That’s worth £5 on each.

Ole'sgunnarwin

How anyone can dismiss Villa after all the inevitable luck Liverpool have had this season baffles me. Yes, City did their thing with Aguero but they were losing 1-2 to QPR on 90 minutes. Anything can happen on Sunday. I'd worry about City's defense, Danny Ings and John McGinn, when they're on form, they're excellent players.

Drizzle

How anyone can dismiss Villa after all the inevitable luck Liverpool have had this season baffles me. Yes, City did their thing with Aguero but they were losing 1-2 to QPR on 90 minutes. Anything can happen on Sunday. I'd worry about City's defense, Danny Ings and John McGinn, when they're on form, they're excellent players.
Agreed and people forget that Villa gave Liverpool a good game a couple of weeks back. They are more than capable of getting a goal or two against City's defence in its current state.

All it will take is for City just to have one of those games - a bit of nervousness, an unlucky break, the crowd gets tense - we've all seen these things happen in games like this. And City are mentally tired, you can see it. I don't think they'll react if things start going wrong on the day.

Just praying that they get an early goal to settle into the game.

KKidAA

Boys, 5.42/1 for scouse win and city not to win. I’ve just lumped £50 on it - I advise you follow suit if you want free money and compensation for this horrible reality.
Don't worry lads, I've got the massive jinx set up. £50 placed on Liverpool to win the league when it was 1-1 after 60mins last night, and £50 on the quadruple. I'm willing to make this sacrifice to stop it happening.

Drizzle

Don't worry lads, I've got the massive jinx set up. £50 placed on Liverpool to win the league when it was 1-1 after 60mins last night, and £50 on the quadruple. I'm willing to make this sacrifice to stop it happening.
I've been lumping on them for the quad since January (when everyone was dismissing it as impossible) and stand to make a grand if they do it.

Never wanted £1000 less. I'll probably just use the money to book a one-way flight to a remote island with no Internet access and live out the rest of my days as a hermit, living off scavenged berries and wild rabbits.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not sure why people are saying Liverpool have the momentum. City have been playing better than Liverpool last few weeks. They only need one win. They will have had a full 7 days rest and be focused. It seems the pressure is all on Villa with all this Gerrard talk.
City often play better but their lack of a goalscorer means they're usually less efficient than Liverpool. This year at least. In terms of performances the gap should be bigger. Liveprools goodwill with refs also doesn't help.

Corridor of Uncertainty

It's a gamble, but watching them lose the title in front of their own fans will be so much more enjoyable than losing it last night.

LordSpud

I think people shouldnt discount the fact that Villa also play tomorrow. Thats not a long time between matches and may also play to City's favour...

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
when City got a big lead
This is Bollocks. I’ve never seen a team hold off a challenger as well as City in 18/19. The other example is City in 13/14 where they had no problems winning their final matches. City in 11/12 looked like they could bottle it but even then they came through. Literally all the evidence points against what you’re saying. Complete nonsense.

soapythecat

They are the luckiest club on the planet. We rode our luck during our successful years, but the dippers take the piss.
Even the way it’s falling for Gerrard to win them the league, it’s an air of inevitability about it all.
I’ve put a bet on them to win the CL to gain some happiness from it all.
City won’t beat Villa because the pressure is all on them. Wolves are on the beach and will get massively pumped.

TheLiverBird

Liverpool have a more difficult final game than City.
Disagree

On paper perhaps, but factoring in pressure, city have too win to win

Liverpool have too win to hope to win

You can bet anything on Gerrard making sure his team are as focused and on point as they ever have been too….not that it means they won’t get hammered by City, but I’d be very surprised if it was a wash over

Offside

I think all this hysteria may build up to City being 2-0 up after half an hour.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
when City got a big lead
That’s just objectively not true!

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
It will be interesting to see what team Villa put out against Burnley. If they play the same XI on Thursday night and ask day afternoon I can’t see them holding out in a backs to the wall scenario.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Said from day one that City would retain the title... see no reason to change my mind now. Never though Liverpool stood a chance of the quadruple and still holding out the faint hope that Madrid pull off a miracle

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
It will be interesting to see what team Villa put out against Burnley. If they play the same XI on Thursday night and ask day afternoon I can’t see them holding out in a backs to the wall scenario.
I think they will rotate a few players but Gerrard has to at least try to make it seem like he's not too invested in Sunday's game imo. Would be a bit taking the piss if he gives his first XI the day off just to be rested against City.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I think they will rotate a few players but Gerrard has to at least try to make it seem like he's not too invested in Sunday's game imo. Would be a bit taking the piss if he gives his first XI the day off just to be rested against City.
Villa are a side that made us look good for at least 45 minutes... allow City a two-goal lead and they'll end up shipping four or five

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Villa are a side that made us look good for at least 45 minutes... allow City a two-goal lead and they'll end up shipping four or five
Agreed, City at home against midtable teams just feels like an inevitable early lead to me, don't think they'll be much influenced by "pressure" if anything at all. They held us off just fine a few seasons ago when we were both on a ridiculous winning streak.

Villa had a lot of chances against us a few weeks ago though, that gives me a glimmer of hope. But City hasn't dropped points in consecutive PL games since December 2020. They are the overwhelming favourite to take it home, probably something like 95/5 for me.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
He can’t replace everybody but I do think he has a legitimate excuse to rotate

Bestietom

City are as bad as us in backline now that they are missing Dias, Stones and Walker. I think they should be playing Ake instead of Fernandino.
Their midfield and forwards can make up for their loss in most games, but against a team that can counter attack with fast forwards they get caught out. Lets see what happens this weekend.

MUFC OK

They kind of have to be, otherwise the pressure will be immense. Even going in 1-0 up at HT will be nervy. If city fans can turn up for once they can play a key part.

Tango80

I'm not mega fussed if they do the quadruple or not, I think I'm more just bothered about us getting our own house in order tbh. I don't watch enough football outside of United to get properly invested in it.

I'd probably feel worse about it if it was us they were challenging, but as it isn't, meh.

I also don't think it lessens the memories of the Treble either - it'll go down as another chapter in history, then everyone will move on with their lives after a day or two.

Josh 76

City are as bad as us in backline now that they are missing Dias, Stones and Walker. I think they should be playing Ake instead of Fernandino.
Their midfield and forwards can make up for their loss in most games, but against a team that can counter attack with fast forwards they get caught out. Lets see what happens this weekend.
Ake will definitely play. Think he’s not been 100% fit recently. Even if he’s only 90% fit, he surely needs to replace Fernerdino. He was awful against Westham. There are even suggestions Diaz might be available.

Josh 76

Said from day one that City would retain the title... see no reason to change my mind now. Never though Liverpool stood a chance of the quadruple and still holding out the faint hope that Madrid pull off a miracle
It all comes down to 2 games. Klopp can make history and do the impossible, which will never be done again, or end the season with a couple of domestic trophies that no one gives a feck about.

If the latter is the case, my god, what a feck up that will be !

RuudTom83

Amazing to be 2 games from utter greatness. You literally "HATE to see it" especially when United can't even win back to back games.

Offside

Any truth that Villa will get more money from the Grealish deal if City win the league? That would be a nice way to throw things.