Lloris arrested for drink driving

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
True. The limit in UK is, imo, too high and potentially encourages drink-driving.
Yeah I don’t think to many people go out with the intention of actually drink driving. Thing is as everyone knows when you have a beer it’s hard not to have a second, or a third and before you know it in that position of will I or won’t I risk it.

Boycott

Don't get these footballers. They have so much money, and if they want to drink, why not hire a driver?
Maybe he will need a driver for a while.

These footballers are scum. One of the worst was Rio - he got done for speeding about 3-4 times and DUI when he was at West Ham. Some people will try and turn a blind eye on club allegiance but so many of these guys are absolute wrong'uns and deserve the same level of punishment as the average Joe.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
5.2%, but you get 440ml, 500ml and pint cans. Massive minefield and that's before you get to the morning dangers.
Okay so a pint of Stella is around 1.5 units of alcohol. Two pints of that would put a 75 kg man just under the legal limit in England 1 hour after consumption.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Maybe he will need a driver for a while.

These footballers are scum. One of the worst was Rio - he got done for speeding about 3-4 times and DUI when he was at West Ham. Some people will try and turn a blind eye on club allegiance but so many of these guys are absolute wrong'uns and deserve the same level of punishment as the average Joe.
It’s hard not to agree TBH, but we really have no idea what these guys feel or think. Hugo in my eyes was one of the good ones, model pro, club and natiaonal captain but really they live a lifestyle none of us could imagine, but to them it’s normality. They have no idea what it’s like for most of us. They will be prone to the same problems as most of us and while Hugo deserves all he gets I do have a tinge oF feeling for his predicament.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Okay so a pint of Stella is around 1.5 units of alcohol. Two pints of that would put a 75 kg man just under the legal limit in England 1 hour after consumption.
It doesn’t work like that, diet and personal metabolism comes into play. That’s why the UK “limit” needs to be revised, you have no idea if you have any alcohol what you blood level is like.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
It doesn’t work like that, diet and personal metabolism comes into play. That’s why the UK “limit” needs to be revised, you have no idea if you have any alcohol what you blood level is like.
It does work like that, but only as a very general guideline. Of course you can't rely on a guideline for whether it's safe to drive or not, but a BAC calculator does give some rough indication of where you're at. The limit in England is ridiculous, we can agree on that. Driving one hour after having 2 pints of 5% beer (or, say, 4 hours after 4 pints) is a very bad idea, that should be made very clear for everyone.

TheReligion

Abusive
Are people really trying to argue that drink drive limit needs changing because Hugo Lloris got done?

Everyone knows the law. Everyone can make choices. I personally don't drive when I've had a drink at all. Not sure why anyone would to be honest.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I'll never understand millionaire footballers not just getting a taxi if they've had something to drink. It's not like they can't afford it and have someone pick the car up for them the next day if they can't be arsed.
I can't understand average blokes not getting a taxi, uber or just walking let alone the millionaires. They should face a harsher penalty in my view not an easier penalty ffs

Red_toad

No I was questioning where you got the £50K figure from, he is on £100K... which probably makes it worse.
I said £50k plus. I don’t know what he earns, but it’ll be in excess of £50k like I said. But footballers never seem to learn and their lawyers keep them from doing time, so it’ll continue...

Josep Dowling

Why would he have been bollocked drunk? Could’ve been to a restaurant with his wife and drunk two glasses of wine for example. And no, of course that’s not an excuse but it paints a whole other picture than “Lloris caught behind the wheel completely off his face”.
If he knows he going to have a drink why did he drive? People know the law and I think the majority of people these days accept if you want a drink you get a taxi.

He’s rich and has absolutely no excuse. Even if he’s had one glass, which I doubt.

Trizy

Why would he have been bollocked drunk? Could’ve been to a restaurant with his wife and drunk two glasses of wine for example. And no, of course that’s not an excuse but it paints a whole other picture than “Lloris caught behind the wheel completely off his face”.
Who stays out til 2.30am for dinner? He also wasn't with his wife. Check the below instagram. He looks well on it.

Giggsyking

Our match is on Monday so he should be there unless Pochettino decides to leave him out.

Drove into a wall over the speeding limit while drunk, killing a passenger. Original sentence was 21 months but he got it reduced to a fine and a driving ban which he had already served.
being rich can get you out even from killing people.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
"He was fined £50,000..." - that'll show him :nono:

"When sentencing, the magistrate said the fine represented the seriousness of the offence as well as the goalkeeper's financial means." - what, ~half a week's salary? :lol:

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Interesting, I wonder what the ban and fine would be for a regular person, obviously 50k is about 50% of his weeks wage.
Around the same length of time and about £300-400. I know a few that have been done for it.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Punishment doesn't seem severe enough for me. Barely a slap on the wrist. The fine is absolutely nothing to him; pocket change. Pissed out of his head, put every other fecker on the road at danger, and he'll be back to making clangers on the weekend.

Awesome.

izec

I can understand it if he's 19 or in his early 20s, but at 31 he really should know better. Perhaps he just has bad friends. Either way, it's hard to make excuses for him.
I think i read a few years ago that he is apparently a bit of a genius, also has a high IQ and would have studied Mathematics if not being a pro. he is still a human after all.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Around the same length of time and about £300-400. I know a few that have been done for it.
Seems about right then, maybe 50k was a little lenient, problem is for a normal person to lose their license for 20 months could ruin them, whereas Hugo could hire a chauffeur.

arthurka

Yeah I could do this many times a week if I would only have to pay my Monday and Tuesday wages for this.
He probably spent more on his night out with his friends.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
The law is not arbitrary and rightfully so - there are minimum and maximum fines for a reason, and a judge can't be blamed if he adheres to those rules.

If you want a harsher punishment for such cases of filthy rich footballers getting a relatively low fine, it's up to the Premier League or FA to implement those fines like it's the case in the NBA or NFL for example.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
I imagine Spurs will fine him as well, they should also strip him of the captaincy as his actions are disgusting and he shouldn't be seen as a role model.

I hope the players also have lost respect for him, as I know I would if any of my work colleagues had done the same.

arthurka

The law is not arbitrary and rightfully so - there are minimum and maximum fines for a reason, and a judge can't be blamed if he adheres to those rules.

If you want a harsher punishment for such cases of filthy rich footballers getting a relatively low fine, it's up to the Premier League or FA to implement those fines like it's the case in the NBA or NFL for example.
Is there?
The Fins have solved this, they fine people according to their income.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/06/in-finland-speeding-tickets-are-linked-to-your-income/

It´s fair and easy.

Boycott

I imagine Spurs will fine him as well, they should also strip him of the captaincy as his actions are disgusting and he shouldn't be seen as a role model.

I hope the players also have lost respect for him, as I know I would if any of my work colleagues had done the same.
They live in their own bubble. He's not the first and won't be the last. Morality in football is non existent - Joey Barton got pundit gigs and is a manager. Collymore hit his wife. Terry cheated on his team mate, was guilty of racism and is celebrated. Giggs is an absolute wrongun for what he did yet we talk about him being future manager - I don't respect him as an outsider but in football you brush it aside.

iHicksy

Is that fair? I'd say it's quite discriminatory that another person gets fined half of what I get for the same offence.
That's exactly why it's fair....:rolleyes:

A fine isn't a fine if it has no impact on you. Despite your humble brag of "Why should he get fined less than me, for I earn so much". That is the best and fairest solution. For a person earning minimum wage who perhaps can barely afford his £400 a month rent, a fine of £20,000 would bankrupt them. A footballer earning £150,000 a week, well £20,00 is absolute pittance and is no deterrent not to commit the crime again.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
That's exactly why it's fair....:rolleyes:

A fine isn't a fine if it has no impact on you. Despite your humble brag of "Why should he get fined less than me, for I earn so much". That is the best and fairest solution. For a person earning minimum wage who perhaps can barely afford his £400 a month rent, a fine of £20,000 would bankrupt them. A footballer earning £150,000 a week, well £20,00 is absolute pittance and is no deterrent not to commit the crime again.
Then broaden the scope of your minimum and maximum fine and trust the judge's ability to render an apt punishment.

You paint a pretty picture but what if I work a shitty job 50 hours a week to earn £3000 while the person earning half of what I earn is a lazy sod with an easy 9-5 office job? Fair solution my ass. You'd also be getting into territory of punishing someone based on their abilities.