Lloris arrested for drink driving

iHicksy

Then broaden the scope of your minimum and maximum fine and trust the judge's ability to render an apt punishment.

You paint a pretty picture but what if I work a shitty job 50 hours a week to earn £3000 while the person earning half of what I earn is a lazy sod with an easy 9-5 office job? Fair solution my ass. You'd also be getting into territory of punishing someone based on their abilities.
The amount of perceived effort a job takes from a third party (which is exactly what you've just done) should never enter into it because that's subjective...hence why a baseline % is always going to be fairest. If someone chooses to work 50 hours a week (48 is the maximum by law unless you opt out) then their income is their income, it doesn't matter how many hours they work. They might love their job and not feel it's work, again it's all subjective. A percentage based off total income will always be fairest.

arthurka

Is that fair? I'd say it's quite discriminatory that another person gets fined half of what I get for the same offence.
Do you.. I don´t it has more impact on people who have normal wages than people who are rich. I think it has to have the same impact on people.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Do you.. I don´t it has more impact on people who have normal wages than people who are rich. I think it has to have the same impact on people.
I'm not saying we should be fined exactly the same amount, but that's not the case right now either - the system of minimum and maximum fines is in place exactly to take into account the different facts and circumstances in each seperate case.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's about time clubs punished there players for offences like this... Lloris at the very least should be stripped of the club captaincy.

Obviously it won't happen, because that would involve some sort of social responsibility.

Edit - and it's not just Spurs either to be fair... I doubt United or any club would do the same

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Quality control
It's about time clubs punished there players for offences like this... Lloris at the very least should be stripped of the club captaincy.

Obviously it won't happen, because that would involve some sort of social responsibility.
Mourinho has been convicted of £2.9m tax fraud. Should he be sacked as United's manager?

Obviously won't happen, because that would involve some sort of social responsibility.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Mourinho has been convicted of £2.9m tax fraud. Should he be sacked as United's manager?

Obviously won't happen, because that would involve some sort of social responsibility.
How's your NFL stadium coming along Glassy? :angel:

Neo_Mufc

Could have paid the Rickshaw lad a couple hunna and had a great trip on the way home.

Silly man.

forevrared

Not even close to the same thing. How many lives did Mourinho (or Messi, Ronaldo, and seemingly everyone who plays in Spain these days) endanger by hiring a dodgy accountant? I'd love an excuse to sack him, but you know very well they're very different things. Drink driving puts your life and that of every motorist and pedestrian you pass in danger.

Look at the NFL -- they've got an extremely strict personal conduct policy and a DUI will net you an automatic 4-game suspension. One mistake that serious and you're suspended without pay for 25% of the season. I recognize that the NFLPA and NFL's relationship isn't directly comparable to the Premier League and this will have a lot to do with it, but there's a standard set in a league where an average team is worth as much as United is. I'd be 100% fine with any United player being banned for drink driving. It's reprehensible and thousands and thousands die every year because of these ridiculously selfish decisions. I'm not sure what standard it sets for the rest of society when you can be arrested and play a match days later.

Annihilate Now!

Scout

Are you genuinely, honestly, comparing something that literally kills thousands of people to defrauding a government through allegedly not paying tax earned through image rights?

Jesus Christ

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship

You are without a doubt the most idiotic poster on this site. The differences between the two are huge, one kills whilst the other does not. Add in that the tax stuff occured in Spain whilst working for Real, Lloris decided to be an absolute cnut whilst playing for Spurs, hence why Spurs should punish him too. So why should United punish him for something that happened at another club?

Nick7

You're absolutely pathetic. This is low even for you.

TheReligion

Abusive

Very disappointed to see you make fun of drink driving like this.

Poor form.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout

Well done guy you sure won there. And you only had to flippantly dismiss the seriousness of drink driving to do so. Well done on your big fecking medal that says I won the internet today.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Are you genuinely, honestly, comparing something that literally kills thousands of people to defrauding a government through allegedly not paying tax earned through image rights?

Jesus Christ
First of all, it's not "allegedly" - it was proven in a Spanish court and he was convicted. And £2.9m is not a trivial sum.

Second, if you're going to lump all the drink-driving global deaths together, then you must do the same for tax fraud globally and consider how many people die through loss of countless billions in funding lost as a result to public services like hospitals, the police, the fire service and so on.

Don't be so hypocritical.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
First of all, it's not "allegedly" - it was proven in a Spanish court and he was convicted. And £2.9m is not a trivial sum.

Second, if you're going to lump all the drink-driving global deaths together, then you must do the same for tax fraud globally and consider how many people die through loss of countless billions in funding lost as a result to public services like hospitals, the police, the fire service and so on.

In reality it isn't the loss of tax revenue that effects those services but government policy, but fair point

GeorgieBoy

So what?
This is a thread about Lloris being charged for drink driving. Drink driving is up there with one of the most cnutish things a person can do; but rather than acknowledging what he did, or better yet, not bothering to post in the thread, you've gotten defensive about something which can't really be defended.

The Bloody-Nine

A Lloris thread about him being convicted of drink driving.

- "What about Mourinho's taxes?!?!!"

I can't believe so many of you still fall for this crap.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
So what?
This is a thread about Lloris being charged for drink driving. Drink driving is up there with one of the most cnutish things a person can do; but rather than acknowledging what he did, or better yet, not bothering to post in the thread, you've gotten defensive about something which can't really be defended.
The "so what" is that it's hypocritical to call for Lloris to be stripped of the captaincy, whilst I don't hear calls from United fans for the club to discipline Mourinho for committing £2.9m of tax fraud.

This is not about defending drink-driving, which obviously I don't. It's about hypocrisy.

Annihilate Now!

Scout

Don't be a weapon.

First of all, Mourinho settled with the Spanish government and paid a fine of 2m Euros... Hence the allegedly, because if he was bang to figure he'd have had to pay the full thing.

But anyway, drink driving is literally taking the lives of other people into your hands. Thousands of people die because of it every year. Can you get me results on how many lives tax evasion claims? No, because there are none, and it's frankly ridiculous and impossible to suggest how unpaid tax would be used to effect public services anyway... I could easily say that money would go into buying weapons and thus causing my deaths and it would be just as fanciful (well not just as, but you get the point)

Seriously do not even try to justify drink diving like it's something remotely comparable... It is behaviour that directly takes lives. It's this sort of distasteful justification and lack of stigma that causes people to jump in their cars when they're over the limit and kill someone.

Should there be punishment in football for tax evasion? Absolutely, should drink driving serve a harsher punishment? Most definitely.

Last edited:

Boycott

So what?
His is a stupid argument.

But Rio Ferdinand got done for drink driving, and speeding four times. How many people are aware of that and does that affect his likeability on here?

Lloris is a bellend but football fans have to swerve from tribalism. Off the field certain footballers are scum yet we hold them up as kings.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Well done guy you sure won there. And you only had to flippantly dismiss the seriousness of drink driving to do so. Well done on your big fecking medal that says I won the internet today.
Come off your high horse. I haven't flippantly dismissed drink-driving. I've pointed out the hypocrisy when it comes to the lack of calls for Mourinho to be similarly disciplined for committing tax fraud.

Well done on your big fecking medal that says I won feck all today.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
The "so what" is that it's hypocritical to call for Lloris to be stripped of the captaincy, whilst I don't hear calls from United fans for the club to discipline Mourinho for committing £2.9m of tax fraud.

This is not about defending drink-driving, which obviously I don't. It's about hypocrisy.
Of course it is

By virtue of you trying to equate it to another crime you are defending it.

My original post was suggesting that drink diving should be cracked down on by clubs... I never suggested other crimes shouldn't be, and I even stated that United would probably do the same Spurs... Yet you jumping in to point out some non existent hypocrisy is defending drink driving, whether you want to believe it is or not.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Don't be a weapon.

First of all, Mourinho settled with the Spanish government and paid a fine of 2m Euros... Hence the allegedly, because if he was bang to figure he'd have had to pay the full thing.

But ashtra, drink driving is literally taking the lives of other people into your hands. Thousands of people die because of it every year. Can you get me results on how many lives tax evasion claims? No, because there are none, and it's frankly ridiculous and impossible to suggest how unpaid tax would be used to effect public services anyway... I could easily say that money would go into buying weapons and thus causing my deaths and it would be just as fanciful (well not just as, but you get the point)

Seriously do not even try to justify drink diving like it's something remotely comparable... It is behaviour that directly takes lives. It's this sort of distasteful justification and lack of stigma that causes people to jump in their cars when they're over the limit and kill someone.

Should there be punishment in football for tax evasion? Absolutely, should drink driving serve a harsher punishment? Most definitely.
Allegedly? For feck's sake he was given a 1 year prison sentence - suspended. You don't get that one the basis of mere allegations. He was convicted.

If you don't believe that countless billions lost globally in taxes causes lives to be lost then I can't be bothered to discuss the matter further with you.

And if you think that the courts should have punished Lloris more harshly than Mourinho - who was given a tougher sentence - then take it up with the legal system and not me.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Allegedly? For feck's sake he was given a 1 year prison sentence - suspended. You don't get that one the basis of mere allegations. He was convicted.

If you don't believe that countless billions lost globally in taxes causes lives to be lost then I can't be bothered to discuss the matter further with you.

And if you think that the courts should have punished Lloris more harshly than Mourinho - who was given a tougher sentence - then take it up with the legal system and not me.
Nope, prison sentence was reported buy El Mundo, but denied by Mourinho's party, but thanks for playing.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-45408351

I'm not saying it doesn't cost lives...again you're doing this idiotic thing of just assuming things that I'm not even saying. I said, unlike drink diving, it does not directly cost a life. Drink drivers actually kill people... Do you not realise this? Or are you that obtuse?

Actually nevermind, we all know the answer. You should sort yourself out.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship

They're completely different things you fecking tool, I bet you still get breastfed.

djembatheking

I think we could all cope with a fine that was half a weeks wages but the 2 year ban will have less impact on him than most people . If I had a 2 year ban I would lose my job too as I have a 15 mile drive and unlike him I can`t afford a chauffeur .

Moriarty

There's a story about Alex Stepney who, back in the day, was pulled over completely rat-arsed. The copper was a United fan so he poured Stepney into his Panda and drove him home.

TheReligion

Abusive

Why would United discipline Mourinho for an offence which took places years ago in another country and whilst representing another club?

You're talking absolute nonsense and it's telling you're yet to actually comment on Lloris.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!

You are defending Lloris by dragging Mourinho into the discussion.

Your constant need to defend everything Spurs make you seem needy and it's not normal.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Come off your high horse. I haven't flippantly dismissed drink-driving. I've pointed out the hypocrisy when it comes to the lack of calls for Mourinho to be similarly disciplined for committing tax fraud.

Well done on your big fecking medal that says I won feck all today.
No, you've taken criticism of Lloris drink driving as an attack on your precious little club/ego and decided to try to deflect that criticism with a tu quoque response.

feck Mourinho. Please fine, tar, feather and throw him in the sewer Manchester United - there, happy? But this is an irrelevance, a distraction, a stupid argument from a stupid little man too stupid to realise it.

Red_toad

Jesus Christ
When you've a public health service, defrauding the government means there's less cash to go into the public services. Plenty of people die every year from under funding of the NHS. If everyone paid their taxes, then services would improve, so it's all relevant.