Lloris arrested for drink driving

The Firestarter

When you've a public health service, defrauding the government means there's less cash to go into the public services. Plenty of people die every year from under funding of the NHS. If everyone paid their taxes, then services would improve, so it's all relevant.
Not even close. Drunk driving puts you as an immediate danger to the lives and health of others. Not all crimes are equal.

Red_toad

Not even close. Drunk driving puts you as an immediate danger to the lives and health of others. Not all crimes are equal.
Obviously not all crimes are equal, not sure I stated where they are.
The day you turn up at an NHS ER and there's no one there to assist you, you may beg to differ on what puts you in immediate danger.
See plenty of sober aholes driving round in my state, who are a complete liability to the public health of those they share the roads with, but as long as they watch their speeds and no action is taken against them. It's all about perception of what is and isn't safe.

The Firestarter

Obviously not all crimes are equal, not sure I stated where they are.
The day you turn up at an NHS ER and there's no one there to assist you, you may beg to differ on what puts you in immediate danger.
See plenty of sober aholes driving round in my state, who are a complete liability to the public health of those they share the roads with, but as long as they watch their speeds and no action is taken against them. It's all about perception of what is and isn't safe.
It's not a perception it's an actual fact that alcohol impacts your reaction time in general and the acquired reflexes specific to driving . Can't believe this obvious fact needs discussion. As for the sober assholes , sadly there is no breathalyser test to measure that.

Red_toad

It's not a perception it's an actual fact that alcohol impacts your reaction time in general and the acquired reflexes specific to driving . Can't believe this obvious fact needs discussion. As for the sober assholes , sadly there is no breathalyser test to measure that.
Fatigued drivers probably kill more people per year than drunk drivers. So it is about perception. Effects of fatigue are just the same, but no laws preventing anyone getting behind the wheel who are tired.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Are you genuinely, honestly, comparing something that literally kills thousands of people to defrauding a government through allegedly not paying tax earned through image rights?

Jesus Christ

Well generally a contract would have to have a morals clause or something similar in it for an employee to be sanctioned for something like drink-driving. Yes it is a worse offense, but that doesn't really matter. It's all about conduct that makes the organization look bad so tax-evasion could be construed as being as bad as a DUI under that umbrella.

The Firestarter

Fatigued drivers probably kill more people per year than drunk drivers. So it is about perception. Effects of fatigue are just the same, but no laws preventing anyone getting behind the wheel who are tired.
In fact it is prevented by law here, just impossible to detect and thus enforce. And of course fatigued drivers will kill more people than drunk ones ,since the latter being both illegal and detectable reduces its attractiveness, thus far less people drive drunk.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
The "so what" is that it's hypocritical to call for Lloris to be stripped of the captaincy, whilst I don't hear calls from United fans for the club to discipline Mourinho for committing £2.9m of tax fraud.

This is not about defending drink-driving, which obviously I don't. It's about hypocrisy.
Ergh ... stop.

Like other people have said, Mourinho didn't commit fraud while he was at the club. That would be like us punishing Aurier for being a total nob in the past.

Lloris acted like a selfish moron. He's a millionaire footballer who could have called a car but instead deciding to selfishly risk the lives of innocent people. Had we stripped him of the captaincy I would have had no problem with it, though I'm not too bothered we didn't simply because he has an exemplary record otherwise and I'm content that the club decided to treat it as a one off error of judgement. There's nothing any reasonable Spurs fan can do other than say he acted like an idiot and move on, your attempts to turn this in to a competition of whose crime was worse is embarrassing.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The premise is probably true. Doesn't make drunk driving bad, it just makes the relative hysteria over drunk driving compared to other impaired forms of driving (driving while distracted, tired or otherwise not placing absolutely 100% attention on the road) real weird.

As for the original premise of the debate, I'm not sure what stripping Lloris of the captaincy does. He is the captain of the football team, and the last time I checked, that doesn't come with some moral badge. It goes without saying that effective captaining has feck all to do with someone's behavior off the pitch. Surprised that this needs to be said on a United forum but hey ho.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
The premise is probably true. Doesn't make drunk driving bad, it just makes the relative hysteria over drunk driving compared to other impaired forms of driving (driving while distracted, tired or otherwise not placing absolutely 100% attention on the road) real weird.

As for the original premise of the debate, I'm not sure what stripping Lloris of the captaincy does. He is the captain of the football team, and the last time I checked, that doesn't come with some moral badge. It goes without saying that effective captaining has feck all to do with someone's behavior off the pitch. Surprised that this needs to be said on a United forum but hey ho.
I think (Particularly with social media etc) that a Captain is a representative of the club, they're mostly some of the most cool headed, reserved and mature players at the club these days, which Lloris has absolutely been aside from this one incident. You don't want a player who is central to your team being part of negative headlines etc, definitely sets a poor example to the younger players as well.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
When you've a public health service, defrauding the government means there's less cash to go into the public services. Plenty of people die every year from under funding of the NHS. If everyone paid their taxes, then services would improve, so it's all relevant.
I broadly agree but it's compete pie in the sky talk. You give the government X more millions as who's to say where it will go? It's unlikely they might keep NHS finding the same and increase something else... We just don't know and it isn't something you can monitor... Unlike drink driving, which kills around 1,000 a year and the number of growing.

Well generally a contract would have to have a morals clause or something similar in it for an employee to be sanctioned for something like drink-driving. Yes it is a worse offense, but that doesn't really matter. It's all about conduct that makes the organization look bad so tax-evasion could be construed as being as bad as a DUI under that umbrella.
Again, I'm really not saying that tax fraud shouldn't be punishable...but a drink diving is incredibly dangerous. I mean, if Lloris hits someone, then what?

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The key difference to my mind is that people don't choose to get fatigued, it happens naturally. They just fail to adjust their behaviour accordingly by not driving or resting before they drive.

Whereas drinking and driving is a 100% concious, deliberate decision that the driver controls entirely.

It makes sense that people would be criticised for the latter more than the former when they have more control over the latter.

Also, in terms of fatigued vs drink driving statistics, the latter is also easier to target, identify and punish which goes a long way towards reducing death rates.

Needham

Didn't he do it late at night? Fewer kids around. That's what I'd be arguing as his lawyer.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Didn't he do it late at night? Fewer kids around. That's what I'd be arguing as his lawyer.
You're kidding right? DUI is unacceptable under any sort of circumstances, period.

People calling for a heavier (unlawful) punishment are just being silly though imo. If you're that much against it and you think the sentences/fines should increase, become a politician and do something about it rather than giving it large on the internet. Same goes for the captaincy issue - yes it's not exactly leading by example but it's what he does on the pitch what will matter to Spurs and they won't do much about such a thing apart from giving him a slap on the wrist (doubt he'll do it again anytime soon). Vertonghen should be captain of Spurs regardless for me.

Irrational.

Glaston has a serious talent for winding people up on here - and people fall for it every time, giving him tens of replies at a time :lol:

His allegiance to Spurs means he's unable to partake in any rational, sensible debate and will defend them to the death. The "but what about Mourinho" on a thread about Lloris' drink driving charge is one of the most pathetic responses I've seen and completely deflects this thread.

It's simple - don't feed the troll. Spurs can be discussed with the other decent Spurs fans on here.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Glaston has a serious talent for winding people up on here - and people fall for it every time, giving him tens of replies at a time :lol:

His allegiance to Spurs means he's unable to partake in any rational, sensible debate and will defend them to the death. The "but what about Mourinho" on a thread about Lloris' drink driving charge is one of the most pathetic responses I've seen and completely deflects this thread.

It's simple - don't feed the troll. Spurs can be discussed with the other decent Spurs fans on here.
As far as I've seen, he has never condoned drink driving or said that Lloris didn't deserve his punishment. Apart from the fact he should've referred to Real instead of United, it's fair to point out that others have also been convicted of crimes/offences without repercussions on a professional level. Since lots of people were talking about stripping him from the captaincy, I think it's relevant to prove that such a thing didn't happen in other instances or such claims weren't even made in the first place with respect to Mourinho, for example.

Of course, it's a completely different kind of offence (putting others in danger is far worse than evading taxes) and it was a stupid, selfish thing to do, but I don't see why it should impact his professional career if his employer doesn't wish to do so. I am a big fan of the Premier League itself imposing way bigger fines and bans for these kind of things, just like the NFL does.

Red_toad

The key difference to my mind is that people don't choose to get fatigued, it happens naturally. They just fail to adjust their behaviour accordingly by not driving or resting before they drive.

Whereas drinking and driving is a 100% concious, deliberate decision that the driver controls entirely.

It makes sense that people would be criticised for the latter more than the former when they have more control over the latter.

Also, in terms of fatigued vs drink driving statistics, the latter is also easier to target, identify and punish which goes a long way towards reducing death rates.
Yet they choose to drive or to continue to drive whilst suffering from fatigue. There is indeed choice, pull over have a sleep, coffee whatever, or simply be well rested prior to driving. I'm not aware of many people who have no idea when they're tired or not, there is always a choice to make.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Yet they choose to drive or to continue to drive whilst suffering from fatigue. There is indeed choice, pull over have a sleep, coffee whatever, or simply be well rested prior to driving. I'm not aware of many people who have no idea when they're tired or not, there is always a choice to make.
Yeah that's a bullshit argument, you always have a choice.

"I didn't choose to get drunk, it happened naturally because I drank too much".

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
As far as I've seen, he has never condoned drink driving or said that Lloris didn't deserve his punishment. Apart from the fact he should've referred to Real instead of United, it's fair to point out that others have also been convicted of crimes/offences without repercussions on a professional level. Since lots of people were talking about stripping him from the captaincy, I think it's relevant to prove that such a thing didn't happen in other instances or such claims weren't even made in the first place with respect to Mourinho, for example.

Of course, it's a completely different kind of offence (putting others in danger is far worse than evading taxes) and it was a stupid, selfish thing to do, but I don't see why it should impact his professional career if his employer doesn't wish to do so. I am a big fan of the Premier League itself imposing way bigger fines and bans for these kind of things, just like the NFL does.

I'm sorry, Glaston tried to shift the issue to a perceived hypocrisy, in an attempt to deflect from the criticism of a spurs player. He even said that it was about hypocrisy in his post! He did this in a petty manner, in a thread about a serious crime.

Are we hypocrites? yes! Should Mourinho be punished by his clubs for defrauding the exchequer? perhaps. Does this have anything to do with Lloris' crime or questions about his captaincy of Spurs? no. Then feck off to the United Fans Are Hypocrites thread or the Mourinho Fraud thread to discuss those things.

This is what makes Glaston's comments so pathetic. Not that he was necessarily innacurate but because he is pathetic.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I'm sorry, Glaston tried to shift the issue to a perceived hypocrisy, in an attempt to deflect from the criticism of a spurs player. He even said that it was about hypocrisy in his post! He did this in a petty manner, in a thread about a serious crime.

Are we hypocrites? yes! Should Mourinho be punished by his clubs for defrauding the exchequer? perhaps. Does this have anything to do with Lloris' crime or questions about his captaincy of Spurs? no. Then feck off to the United Fans Are Hypocrites thread or the Mourinho Fraud thread to discuss those things.

This is what makes Glaston's comments so pathetic. Not that he was necessarily innacurate but because he is pathetic.
Putting perspective into things is important in these things, so the point he was making was relevant imo. The manner in which he did it could've been better, agreed, and of course shifting the focus doesn't change anything from the fact that Lloris was in the wrong.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
I wonder if he is in trouble with the French Team. Deschamps apparently makes everybody sign a code of conduct thing.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
They have a choice in how they react to being tired, just as drink drivers have a choice in how to react to having taken drink.

The latter also have control over whether they actually have a drink in the first place though, whereas getting tired is something that happens naturally.

In terms of selfish prickishness drink driving definitely outstrips fatigued driving, even though driving when tired is bad too.

The Bloody-Nine

To be fair, when Cantona kicked that asshole the club banned him until the end of the season. It's not unheard of.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
To be fair, when Cantona kicked that asshole the club banned him until the end of the season. It's not unheard of.
Yeah but I'm guessing they were left with little choice when he did that. Also important to distinguish the difference between on the field antics and those off the field, he was doing it during his profession whilst he was performing for the club.

Spurs would also suspend Lloris if he showed up wasted on a gameday, I'd think :lol:

The Bloody-Nine

Yeah but I'm guessing they were left with little choice when he did that. Also important to distinguish the difference between on the field antics and those off the field, he was doing it during his profession whilst he was performing for the club.

Spurs would also suspend Lloris if he showed up wasted on a gameday, I'd think :lol:
He'd probably still be better than their back up.