Loan Watch 2017-2018

shayanr

How was he - though he is under the duvet a bit; I see great potential in the lad if he plays as a wingback and not a full back.
Read on Leeds forum that he was one of their better players before he got injured 40 minutes plus into the game unfortunately.

kundalini

CBJ - after a disappointing 537 mins on loan in the Championship last season, this season he has managed just 82 mins, making the bench for 4 other Championship games. However, he has started 4 League Cup games for Leeds. Having looked so composed in possession in the PL, his rejection at Championship level is striking but perhaps an indication of the different skills required at that level. His United deal runs until summer 2020, probably with a one year option. Difficult to see how he recovers from here. Needs to find a level at which he can start regularly then build from there.

Andreas Pereira - 781 mins so far, from 9 starts and 6 sub appearances in La Liga. Contributed one goal and 4 assists. Likely to get offers from Spain in the summer, though may need to have more impact if he is to force Mourinho into giving him a serious chance at United. I believe his contract was extended so it is now 2019 + 1 year option.

Regan Poole - Plenty of starts as a defensive midfielder for Northampton in League One. I would imagine Championship teams will be interested next season. I'd be surprised if he is tall enough to be a central defender at a high level. His United contract runs to 2019 with a one year option.

Matty Willock - 19 mins in the Eredivisie. Unused sub for most games. Was 21 in August. Bit surprised United kept him last summer, I suppose you only get a transfer fee if you make a contract offer. Bold move to try playing abroad. Hopefully finds a club willing to give him starts next season.

Devonte Redmond - returned to United after 1 min for Scunthorpe on loan in League One. Was 21 in September. Already made 36 starts for United's U23 team. Decision to retain him looks questionable. Educated guess that United don't offer him another deal. Hope he can find a club at some level that will give him starts.

Dean Henderson - to date a very successful loan at Shrewsbury in League One. Should get plenty of offers in the summer. Not sure of his current United contract - there's a couple of articles from October that suggest it is up in the summer.

Sam Johnstone - regular starter for Villa in the Championship. I think we have a + 1 year option on his contract. Expect him to be sold in the summer. If Villa don't have the cash then someone else will take him.

--

Surely some of the current U23 team are going out on loan in Jan ? Demi Mitchell, Joe Riley, James Wilson could all do with regular football at a higher level. Ro-Shaun Williams another who has 30+ appearances for U23s.

Last edited:

Sid234

CBJ - after a disappointing 537 mins on loan in the Championship last season, this season he has managed just 82 mins, making the bench for 4 other Championship games. However, he has started 4 League Cup games for Leeds. Having looked so composed in possession in the PL, his rejection at Championship level is striking but perhaps an indication of the different skills required at that level. His United deal runs until summer 2020, probably with a one year option. Difficult to see how he recovers from here. Needs to find a level at which he can start regularly then build from there.

Andreas Pereira - 781 mins so far, from 9 starts and 6 sub appearances in La Liga. Contributed one goal and 4 assists. Likely to get offers from Spain in the summer, though may need to have more impact if he is to force Mourinho into giving him a serious chance at United. I believe his contract was extended so it is now 2019 + 1 year option.

Regan Poole - Plenty of starts as a defensive midfielder for Northampton in League One. I would imagine Championship teams will be interested next season. I'd be surprised if he is tall enough to be a central defender at a high level. His United contract runs to 2019 with a one year option.

Matty Willock - 19 mins in the Eredivisie. Unused sub for most games. Was 21 in August. Bit surprised United kept him last summer, I suppose you only get a transfer fee if you make a contract offer. Bold move to try playing abroad. Hopefully finds a club willing to give him starts next season.

Devonte Redmond - returned to United after 1 min for Scunthorpe on loan in League One. Was 21 in September. Already made 36 starts for United's U23 team. Decision to retain him looks questionable. Educated guess that United don't offer him another deal. Hope he can find a club at some level that will give him starts.

Dean Henderson - to date a very successful loan at Shrewsbury in League One. Should get plenty of offers in the summer. Not sure of his current United contract - there's a couple of articles from October that suggest it is up in the summer.

Sam Johnstone - regular starter for Villa in the Championship. I think we have a + 1 year option on his contract. Expect him to be sold in the summer. If Villa don't have the cash then someone else will take him.

--

Surely some of the current U23 team are going out on loan in Jan ? Demi Mitchell, Joe Riley, James Wilson could all do with regular football at a higher level.
I thought we're about to sell Johnstone for 4 mill this month?

kundalini

I thought we're about to sell Johnstone for 4 mill this month?
Steve Bruce said he spoke to Mourinho a few days ago. Jose didn't mention Johnstone's loan being cut short, though United do have that option within the loan deal. Villa owner also tweeted recently that it was just a story filling space. They expect to buy Johnstone in the summer. Currently restricted by FFP situation.

I could see Sam being interested in a move to West Brom if guaranteed to be a starter. Less convinced he would want to join them to be back-up to Ben Foster, even if promised he would get a chance eventually. The local midlands paper suggests West Brom are after a replacement for Boaz Myhill who is out of contract in the summer. Goal keeper is not currently a priority for them; perfectly happy with Ben Foster.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...ter-United-Transfer-Tony-Xia-EFL-Championship

https://www.expressandstar.com/spor...stone-but-priorities-currently-lie-elsewhere/

Last edited:

Acole9

Outstanding
Johnstone really needs to leave United permanently, he's becoming this decades Chris Eagles.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"

--

Surely some of the current U23 team are going out on loan in Jan ? Demi Mitchell, Joe Riley, James Wilson could all do with regular football at a higher level. Ro-Shaun Williams another who has 30+ appearances for U23s.

Very good summary - thank you!

Sid234

Johnstone really needs to leave United permanently, he's becoming this decades Chris Eagles.
He'll be fine, GK's tend to mature late and play longer. I think he'll be playing the PL long term

fitzmertz

Sam must be the oldest player to come through our youth team and never play for the first team. He will be 25 in March. Correct me if I am wrong.

rocks13

Sam must be the oldest player to come through our youth team and never play for the first team. He will be 25 in March. Correct me if I am wrong.
Robbie Savage came through our youth team and never played for our first team - he's 43 now.

Sid234

I think Tom Heaton hung around for a while as well, till he was 24 maybe?

Acole9

Outstanding
He'll be fine, GK's tend to mature late and play longer. I think he'll be playing the PL long term
I don't doubt he'll play in the Premier League at some point but I think he's been with us too long and needs to leave.

sincher

Glad Demi's got a loan. Why is it make or break?

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Glad Demi's got a loan. Why is it make or break?
I still think he's got an outside chance of making it at Old Trafford, though not as a left-back, but he's at the age(21 tomorrow)where he needs to be playing week in, week out in Men's football to really push on, if he does well at Hearts he'll probably move up to our first-team squad next season, if he doesn't impress(and if he plays at left-back I don't think he will)he'll be back at Old Trafford playing once a month for the 23s next season until he get's another loan move which more than likely will be to a lower level club.

sincher

I still think he's got an outside chance of making it at Old Trafford, though not as a left-back, but he's at the age(21 tomorrow)where he needs to be playing week in, week out in Men's football to really push on, if he does well at Hearts he'll probably move up to our first-team squad next season, if he doesn't impress(and if he plays at left-back I don't think he will)he'll be back at Old Trafford playing once a month for the 23s next season until he get's another loan move which more than likely will be to a lower level club.
Surely left back or left wing back is by far his best chance of making it at United? Can't see him making it as a winger.

A loan to Hearts is not actually a great sign of a player likely to make a step up but he is quite promising so let's hope he gets good games. The level is ok.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He'll probably be the best left back in Scotland, why do you think he won't impress? I'm not suggesting he's amazing or anything but any full back with his dribbling ability and pace in Scotland and no competition for his place should be able to stand out.

Class of 63

Sourness
Why do you think he has a better chance at LW when we already have Martial and Rashford and we don't even play him at LW anymore?
Never mentioned left-wing, if he were to play on the wing think he'd be more successful playing on the right coming in on his left foot. No I can see him developing into an attacking midfielder left of a three, he's definitely got the skill set, just not sure he'll be up to it physically though.

Think Martial and, or Rashford will be played centrally before long, or they should be.

Class of 63

Sourness
He'll probably be the best left back in Scotland, why do you think he won't impress? I'm not suggesting he's amazing or anything but any full back with his dribbling ability and pace in Scotland and no competition for his place should be able to stand out.
I hope you're right, I don't see much Scottish football these days but if he's better than Kieran Tierney, Tony Gallagher and AN Other whose name escapes me at the minute, and all three are younger than him we'll have a player on our hands for sure.

Going forward he'll be fine, but defensively nah, harsh as he's not played there long, but he gets beat easily and regularly by young lads in the 23s, in mens football where every point counts it could be embarrassing.

But as I say hope you're right and he proves me wrong.

Ritish

We may keep Johnstone as our backup to De Gea, if Romero decides to move on. Considering he's performing well for Villa, that would be a decent move.

Joel on the other hand could be sent on loan next season where he can develop further.

spenzo

Mitchell made his first competitive appearance for Hearts today in the Edinburgh Derby in the Scottish Cup as they beat Hibs, apparently it was the first time they managed to beat them in 10 games.

Looked really good going forward, looking the same goal threat that he was for the Reserves. He was better defensively in the second half after being caught out of position a couple of times in the first, sharing free kick responsibility already too. Could've scored a well struck volley but for a great save from the Hibs keeper, good start for him. He won MOTM as well

Last edited:

sincher

Yeah I watched Mitchell. He had a good game.

Toad

Mitchell made his first competitive appearance for Hearts today in the Edinburgh Derby in the Scottish Cup as they beat Hibs, apparently it was the first time they managed to beat them in 10 games.

Looked really good going forward, looking the same goal threat that he was for the Reserves. He was better defensively in the second half after being caught out of position a couple of times in the first, sharing free kick responsibility already too. Could've scored a well struck volley but for a great save from the Hibs keeper, good start for him. He won MOTM as well
Couple of good interceptions aswell. Naismith looked shocking though :lol:

Silas

Loads of positive comments from a Hearts forum:

Might need to watch his defending, but seems a real player
A brilliant debut
Great debut. Loves to get forward and seems to have some technique on him.
He'll pish this league.
cracking player, thought he was immense today, hopefully jose will let us have him for another season after this loan expires
Great first touch and good composure for such a young guy. Plenty of confidence too and took responsibility when he had the ball.
Watched him a lot in the 2nd half as I was in T today and you can tell from his decision making and options he sets up that he has been well coached.

Class of 63

Sourness
I hope you're right, I don't see much Scottish football these days but if he's better than Kieran Tierney, Tony Gallagher and AN Other whose name escapes me at the minute, and all three are younger than him we'll have a player on our hands for sure.

Going forward he'll be fine, but defensively nah, harsh as he's not played there long, but he gets beat easily and regularly by young lads in the 23s, in mens football where every point counts it could be embarrassing.

But as I say hope you're right and he proves me wrong.
Signed for Liverpool, and for only £200,000, be interesting to see how he develops

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/foot...pool-see-manchester-united-barcelona-11912165

Last edited: