Television Locke & Key | Netflix series

evil_geko

So I am just finishing these days the graphic novels and I am loving them! The novels are written by Joe Hill, son of Stephen King. Really excited how this will turn out although from what I've read and from the trailer, compared to the novels which are more horror with some really gruesome scenes, Netflix adaptation will be tamer and less horror, with which, as a big horror fan, I am kinda disappointed but we'll see how it goes.

Judging just by the trailer, this looks like generic fantasy show, which is far from what the novels are. Still, can't wait!

Coming out on February 7th.

Last edited:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
"horror" is a weird term these days. It's way broader than people think imo. I'm not artsy fartsy type, a movie is a movie, but horrors aren't even scary these days, thrillers are more horror imo. Horrors are like bad movies and cheesy.

I'll watch it still, looks like a TV film more than anything else though

evil_geko

Well horror has many subgenres, but "real" horror is psychological, dark and disturbing without gore and jump scares. And Locke & Key graphic novels have really dark and disturbing moments which I doubt can be translated well to the screen, we shall see.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
The trailer is already different from the graphic novels so I'm not even going to bother with the show.

drdoityourself

If the author kept his father's name he'd be Joe King (joking). Not a good name for a horror writer.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Is it horror? Trailer and music makes it look more like YA.

evil_geko

I am on fifth episode at the moment and yeah, I am kinda enjoying it, but it is a really watered down version compared to the graphics novels.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Just about finished the first episode. Not going to watch the second

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
It's passable. I'm three eps in. The graphic novel looked far more interesting.

Ekeke

I think the fantasy idea was pretty good, but some of the casting and writing let it down. I'd go 6.5/10

evil_geko

So this isn't at the level of a Haunting at Hill House then?
The story itself from graphic novels is level above HaHH for me, but potential was wasted in the show, so no, it isn't at that level.

I think the fantasy idea was pretty good, but some of the casting and writing let it down. I'd go 6.5/10
Yeah, some of the casting was off, but I love Dodge casting choice for example.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
It’s marginally less obnoxious than October Faction, despite having an almost identical looking aesthetic and cast... but having begrudging sat through half of that, I could only bring myself to sit through 3 of these before I lost interest.

It had admittedly started getting a bit more interesting, but had been so needlessly slow up to that point that I’d completely stopped caring.

Also, you can’t have a whole section based around an incredibly implausible high school Tom Savini appreciation society, and then cast the actual Tom Savini as a random hardware store owner!!...

Where’s the continuity!!?

evil_geko

Episode 9 ending annoyed me the most, I mean there were lots of stupid choices from the characters but what the feck was that? Why bring the Crown of Shadows key with you and not leave it with Locke's? Why even bring Rufus there? That was annoyingly stupid.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
So this isn't at the level of a Haunting at Hill House then?
Not even close, but it was alright enough. Far from the worst Netflix production, which admittedly does not say much, but we watched 7 episodes and when we got that far we might as well watch the whole season.

Its more in the goosebumbs category of "horror" although it does get surprisingly dark at times

Woodzy

Episode 9 ending annoyed me the most, I mean there were lots of stupid choices from the characters but what the feck was that? Why bring the Crown of Shadows key with you and not leave it with Locke's? Why even bring Rufus there? That was annoyingly stupid.
Me and the Mrs saw that episode last night and we were screaming at the tv at that part.

Anyway, lots of good and bad but enjoyable on the whole.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Do not read if you haven't watched the first 7 episodes

I'm 7 episodes in and honestly don't know why I'm still watching it. The family are so feckin cliche and every single one of them is incredbly annoying and stupid. The mum is one of those TV American mothers who apparently does nothing all day long, inlcuding any actual parenting other than the occasional glib emotional soundbite. The daughter seems to turn into a complete dick after like episode 3, whereas the older one is a dick all the way through, so at least consistent.

My biggest issue with it by far is that is spends too much time on melodrama when they've got a house full of magical feckin keys for christsakes!

I mean the young lad finds a ghost key that lets him fly around and talk to other dead people but nobody else seems to even have an inkling of basic human curiosisty to want to try it out for themselves. Other keys sound interesting but they're really not, like the head key which someone thought would be a great idea to use it to spend an entire episode in a characters head filling out backstory and adding more melodrama. Or the mirror key where you go into a room of mirrors and er yeah that's it.

The real icing on the cake was in the episode I just watched when the crazy lad breaks into their house and threatens them all with a gun. Aside from the the sheer unfolding stupidity of what occurs the best bit is when they use the ghost key to...erm do nothing useful at all when they actually have a key in their position that let's you control the actions of someone! I mean feck me. Might not have noticed that if they hadn't just spent the entire episode before using it to torture some girl at school by making her squirt mayo in her hair and get off with a statue.

I now feel obliged to grudge watch the last 3 episodes with the missus.

Last edited:

JoaquinJoaquin

Seen the trailer for this when I was browsing the other day and I couldn't figure out whether it looked really good or fecking awful

evil_geko

It is really too bad, because graphics novels are a masterpiece. There is unaired Fox pilot available online which is much closer to the books but much cheaper production wise, I also read that Hulu version was planned several years ago that was going to be Horror and very close to source material but it didn't pick up. And this is what we get in the end...

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Finished it. Not great but not awful. I wish it stayed closer to the graphic novel but I get that they'll get more views with this direction. My main problem was that characters just keep doing dumb shit to move the plot forward. I absolutely hate shit like that happening.

djdhrubs

Am about 8 episodes in and liking it. Thought the kids are all good actors. Sure it's not as good as the graphic novel, but it's pretty good.

Irrational.

Just finished this. Too many cliches.

Also saw the twist coming a mile off. The way they revealed it was also pretty annoying.

I'd give it a 5/10 - no where near on the level of Stranger Things.

Dr. StrangeHate

Finished it. Not great but not awful. I wish it stayed closer to the graphic novel but I get that they'll get more views with this direction. My main problem was that characters just keep doing dumb shit to move the plot forward. I absolutely hate shit like that happening.
They did so much dumb shit, I wanted to break my TV. You just knew what the result of their dumb moves would be. On the flip side maybe teenagers are that dumb.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
They did so much dumb shit, I wanted to break my TV. You just knew what the result of their dumb moves would be. On the flip side maybe teenagers are that dumb.
They really did. It was dumb by numbers but like I said my biggest gripe with it was there was not nearly enough fun and fantasy with the keys and far too much teen school drama.

Dr. StrangeHate

They really did. It was dumb by numbers but like I said my biggest gripe with it was there was not nearly enough fun and fantasy with the keys and far too much teen school drama.
This makes me think that most of Netflix viewers are teens or early 20's as I don't know any middle aged people caring about teenage drama.

RedFish

Couldn't find a thread on this fantasy horror series on Netflix.

Personally I think its what the Haunting of Hill House could have been.

Riveting stuff.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

So I am just finishing these days the graphic novels and I am loving them! The novels are written by Joe Hill, son of Stephen King. Really excited how this will turn out although from what I've read and from the trailer, compared to the novels which are more horror with some really gruesome scenes, Netflix adaptation will be tamer and less horror, with which, as a big horror fan, I am kinda disappointed but we'll see how it goes.

Judging just by the trailer, this looks like generic fantasy show, which is far from what the novels are. Still, can't wait!

Coming out on February 7th.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Not seen it but kinda intrigued by it from its trailer, but it also looks shit at the same time. Think the Mrs will probably like it anyway, how many EPs and how long an ep, so know either how much time to waste on it or how much free sleep/time I get because she is watching it

lsd

The Oracle

Personally I think its what the Haunting of Hill House could have been.

Riveting stuff.

If that were done for kids then yes

RedFish

Not seen it but kinda intrigued by it from its trailer, but it also looks shit at the same time. Think the Mrs will probably like it anyway, how many EPs and how long an ep, so know either how much time to waste on it or how much free sleep/time I get because she is watching it

10 episodes, each around 50 mins. :)

lsd

The Oracle
Stranger things? etc etc.

It's well-acted, nice soundtrack and nice production. Not for everyone though, clearly!!!!!!

I enjoyed the books . The tv show is Netflix at its worst though really just another bland teen show