Other Logan Paul v KSI Fight Discussion

Eriku

Has YOUTUBE fame gone too far?

No, fecking fame in general has. Why on earth draw the line on youtube? We have people who are famous for being incindiary and obnoxious, we have people who are famous for leaking sex vids and going under the knife to look "pretty"... I could go on.

Well it's pretty simple. Because the link is unique - you wouldn't have been able to find it unless you either watched her youtube video/instagram post/tweet or whatever.
Here's an example of a link that someone I watch on youtube left on one of her most recent videos;
https://www.youtube.com/redirect?redir_token=7_RPNBMKE8kKira-NnMRpODBKVZ8MTUwNTMxMjE4OUAxNTA1MjI1Nzg5&q=http://bit.ly/2vMHAHX&event=desc
however on youtube it's shortened to: http://bit.ly/2vMHAHX

These aren't things that the average joe will just type in, they're designed specifically to notify the sponsor that this particular youtuber has referred x amount of people to the site.

The banner ad will have it's own unique identifying link, that isn't tied to the youtuber at all - so it's easy to trace that also.

As for whether marketing influences your decision, only you will know whether you are not influenced by any branding, advertising or marketing at all - but there's a reason why its a multi-billion dollar industry globally, and you've got hundreds of people getting paid for simply advertising things on youtube.
Word of mouth and recommendations carry weight, potentially more so than commercial marketing, and youtubers are helping brands establish themselves simply by pushing certain products.
Yes I know they have specific links, I have one for my Uber account even. That's not what I'm asking. The question is how do you know how much that person influences the decision to buy. If you can't quantify it it's very hard to show a return on investment.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Yes I know they have specific links, I have one for my Uber account even. That's not what I'm asking. The question is how do you know how much that person influences the decision to buy. If you can't quantify it it's very hard to show a return on investment.
Because like I said - you wouldn't be able to type those links normally, they aren't available unless you go to the youtuber's video, it's not that hard.

If I wanted the link for your uber account, I wouldn't just happen to come across it while browsing the web - I would have to ask you for it, or you would have to send it to me therefore you can influenced my decision to use it.
Otherwise I could just use uber normally and it have nothing to do with you.

Listar

Are they famous?

Try akinator

I thought of Robbie from Arsenal fan tv and it guessed it correct.

So yes, youtubers are famous.

Because like I said - you wouldn't be able to type those links normally, they aren't available unless you go to the youtuber's video, it's not that hard.

If I wanted the link for your uber account, I wouldn't just happen to come across it while browsing the web - I would have to ask you for it, or you would have to send it to me therefore you can influenced my decision to use it.
Otherwise I could just use uber normally and it have nothing to do with you.
Maybe I'm not explaining it properly. I know how unique links work.

The question is how do you know I bought purely because I saw it on your friends page? Yes i clicked the link on her page, but how do you know I wasn't going to buy it anyway? And how do you know your friend convinced me to buy it any more than any other random ad would have done.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Maybe I'm not explaining it properly. I know how unique links work.

The question is how do you know I bought purely because I saw it on your friends page? Yes i clicked the link on her page, but how do you know I wasn't going to buy it anyway? And how do you know your friend convinced me to buy it any more than any other random ad would have done.
Well that goes hand in hand with the whole premise of marketing. Why do the likes of Cocoa Cola, Mc Donalds & Apple market so heavily when they're the most recognisable brands in the world? Ultimately people will still buy their stuff even though they spend millions on advertising each year.
Ultimately - whether or not you bought it because of the youtuber, you still went through the gateway of using her link, and therefore she's done her job.

I don't understand how you'd end up in a position where you want to buy a product, you know what it is you want to buy, so you decide to go to the website by visiting a youtube video and clicking the links they provide.
Surely you'd just go to the website directly, or search for the product yourself?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I've seen what I assume is people like this on Facebook. Everything is so obviously fake and staged, but grown people lap it up. There should just be a moron purge.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
I used to like TheTrueGeordie until he completely sold his channel to this kind of nonsense.
Ditto. Really enjoyed his channel at one point and I understand he was in the middle of this nonsense as well, with DT from AFTV butting in too. It's like a damn soap opera.

Think I'll stick to Ashens and his brown couch.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
I've seen what I assume is people like this on Facebook. Everything is so obviously fake and staged, but grown people lap it up. There should just be a moron purge.
Most boxing matches are fake and staged too, but at least in most of them you're gonna see a good fight. Not some fat lad versus some nerk overdoing the protein bars and neglecting a decent brace. Could chew an apple through a tennis bat that Weller fella.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
What the feck is this?

Two YouTubers organising a boxing fight and having a proper press conference, is this thing even licensed?

And people thought Mayweather v McGregor was a low point for boxing

and yes I may have inadvertently promoted this, but it deserves ridicule.
Their fans are like 8 years old yet they are doing this publicly?

Jagga7

These people deserve some credit imo. They're young and have made a fortune of doing shit like this. It takes courage to put yourself out there like this.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
These people deserve some credit imo. They're young and have made a fortune of doing shit like this. It takes courage to put yourself out there like this.
and some YouTubers are genuinely talented at what they do, unfortunately the cream of the crop doesn't always rise to the top.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
You don't fall for all that "I hate you and I'm gonna rip you apart" bollocks do you? It's very rare fighters actively dislike each other, but putting on an act they do with all the pathetic stage shows and pre fight stand offs adds to the pay per view figures and general interest in the sport.

Take this debacle as an example. How many people had heard of these two twonks prior to it? Same with that Irish plonker who fought Mayweather.

Neither are "boxing" but they're only following what boxing has done for decades. They can't rely on decent fighters having a decent fight now, have to rely on bullshit propaganda and PR stunts to get anyone interested. Not many fighters around that can sell a fight on talent alone so they'll improvise a feud.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I think my issue is that everything is always only super positive or super negative. Usually the former, unless it's really funny like early Geordie or AFTV. There are a lot of genuinely decent YouTubers out there of course not raking up tons of cash but the actual popular stuff is usually one extreme or the other. In an interesting way, it follows a similar logic to online journalism these days.

I've worked in marketing so I find it fascinating but always consider it from a 'business' standpoint. I'm about to embark on a masters where I'll be focusing on digital technology and expect YouTube to come up often.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
You don't fall for all that "I hate you and I'm gonna rip you apart" bollocks do you? It's very rare fighters actively dislike each other, but putting on an act they do with all the pathetic stage shows and pre fight stand offs adds to the pay per view figures and general interest in the sport.

Take this debacle as an example. How many people had heard of these two twonks prior to it? Same with that Irish plonker who fought Mayweather.

Neither are "boxing" but they're only following what boxing has done for decades. They can't rely on decent fighters having a decent fight now, have to rely on bullshit propaganda and PR stunts to get anyone interested. Not many fighters around that can sell a fight on talent alone so they'll improvise a feud.
Quite a few I reckon

Hojoon

It hasn't gone far compared to some of the other ways people become famous.

The Bloody-Nine

You said most boxing matches are staged and fake. Which sounds to me like you're talking about the actual fighting. Which is nonsense.

Is the build up to the fights hype, bluster and bullshit in order to sell the fight? Obviously.

arthurka

Apart from visiting an occasional science site, Redcafe is the only social media I bother with. I feel like a relic from the Stone Age. There's a brave new world out there which is passing me by.:o
Get what you are saying.. Can't for the life of me understand what a Youtuber is.. So when applying for a job you write I am a Youtuber looking for something stable? Social media.... Piiffff.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
The money they earn from ad revenue is beyond a joke. YouTube is basically made from loads of kids watching these fools.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
Quite a few I reckon
A load of kids who watch FIFA gameplay vids and the WWE types that watch MMA. Yeah, probably millions but I'd be hard pushed to ask anyone at work or down my local before these stunts happened who any of the 3 are and get an answer. Same goes with that Pedeepie fella. These folks are up there with the Celeb big brother types on the WTAF is that scale.

A few stunts and they're all over the media. Clever!

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
This happened on Saturday by the way. Didn't look fake. But it wasn't very good either. Weller get the head pucked off him.

8,000 people attended the sold-out event, and they said there was enough demand to sell out the O2 in London. Well over a million watched live on YouTube.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'd be interested in how KSI would do against someone who is actually training full time as a boxer.

I'm not an expert but the fight looked to be all attack and KSI simply got more and better punches in. I hope they solved whatever it is they solved, and I suppose you have to give them credit for actually going through with it; good luck trying to get beefing rappers into a ring to settle their differences.

Zebs

I'd be interested in how KSI would do against someone who is actually training full time as a boxer.

I'm not an expert but the fight looked to be all attack and KSI simply got more and better punches in. I hope they solved whatever it is they solved, and I suppose you have to give them credit for actually going through with it; good luck trying to get beefing rappers into a ring to settle their differences.
The win was all down to his power as his defence looked extremely poor so I imagine he'd get picked apart by someone with years of training. That said, give him a year or two of training and KSI could have a chance, he looked a lot better than 4 months training.

Classical Mechanic

KSI has a good jab, looks like he might have had some experience before. The other lad couldn't cope with the jab but kept his basic shape quite well for a novice. KSI's low hands and long stance reminds me of Nas a little bit.

@Zebs

KSI does have poor defence when attacked as instead of getting his hands up he tries to hit the punches away which then leaves himself open, he would get erased by a real fighter but looks to have some natural talent to me.

Last edited:

Zebs

KSI has a good jab, looks like he might have had some experience before. The other lad couldn't cope with the jab but keep his basic shape quite well. McGregor looked technically worse than both of them.
None at all apparently.

Come on now, training full time as in a pro? That guys defence is non existent and his punches are pretty loose. He'd be lucky to last a round.

lsd

The Oracle
The only one i watch is bucket head nation because the dad speaks the truth every time.

The rest are just as fake as your average big brother contestant

Zebs

Lol he was like 10 and with his mum

Feel bad!
Hah phew. I watched it in my train this morning too, out of interest.