Other Logan Paul v KSI Fight Discussion

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
What the feck is this?

Two YouTubers organising a boxing fight and having a proper press conference, is this thing even licensed?

And people thought Mayweather v McGregor was a low point for boxing

and yes I may have inadvertently promoted this, but it deserves ridicule.

izec

of course it has, it is getting ridiculous. But i guess thats the new age and we have to get used to it.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
I had to Google who PewDiePie even was. I thought it was a Disney character not a YouTuber.

izec

I have no clue who they are, i clicked on the channel of that Joe Weller bloke, jesus christ some of his videos are embarrassing. I guess for some people they are true stars and idols and the fame justified, just like for a lot of people actors, sports stars and models, but it is not for me. To each their own.

Of course.

I wonder if anyone has ever truly quantified the return on investment of these people. How many of their viewers really do go out and buy the stuff they are paid to promote because of what they see on their youtube/twitter/instagram channel?

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I don't understand it, but like most of you I'm probably too old to ever get it.

It used to be footballers, singers, actors etc who were idolized, but now when I look at my nephew and his friends, all they do is watch some on youtuber doing or saying something. The world keeps changing.

I guess my grandmother would've thought Jackass was ridiculous as well

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Of course.

I wonder if anyone has ever truly quantified the return on investment of these people. How many of their viewers really do go out and buy the stuff they are paid to promote because of what they see on their youtube/twitter/instagram channel?
Depends on the type of youtuber.
I've got a friend who's a MUA on Youtube, and any time she does a new look, or reviews new products or anything she'll put a specific buy link in the description box that is attached to her username or some kind of unique identifier - that way the sponsor can track just how much monetary value they bring in.
She comfortably makes 4/5 figures a month, and only does maybe 2 videos a week max - and the sponsors give her leeway because of course while her buy link may have led someone to the website, they may have not necessarily purchased the exact product, but they still took an interest in the site and either bought something else, or may have just added to their list of things to buy for next time.

For things like gamers, I guess it's less easy to track - but it's still a numbers game. If you're getting 250k views consistently on all your videos, then at that point as a sponsor, you're only needing probably less than 10% of people to buy the game in order to get a decent ROI

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
I'm in the middle of writing an article on YouTube fame that will probably get rejected by all publications, so I'll probably post it here when I finish it sometime in the next ten years.

Zebs

Anyway, the 'fight' apparently will be licenced. But it's just two lads going for a cash grab in the wake of Mayweather v McGregor.

KSI, while a bit of an idiot, is an extremely astute businessman and knows how to re-invent himself or change the game when things are going stale. Has done it a number of times. Weller is just an idiot who has made a career of badly imitating better YouTubers

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I used to like TheTrueGeordie until he completely sold his channel to this kind of nonsense.

Depends on the type of youtuber.
I've got a friend who's a MUA on Youtube, and any time she does a new look, or reviews new products or anything she'll put a specific buy link in the description box that is attached to her username or some kind of unique identifier - that way the sponsor can track just how much monetary value they bring in.
She comfortably makes 4/5 figures a month, and only does maybe 2 videos a week max - and the sponsors give her leeway because of course while her buy link may have led someone to the website, they may have not necessarily purchased the exact product, but they still took an interest in the site and either bought something else, or may have just added to their list of things to buy for next time.

For things like gamers, I guess it's less easy to track - but it's still a numbers game. If you're getting 250k views consistently on all your videos, then at that point as a sponsor, you're only needing probably less than 10% of people to buy the game in order to get a decent ROI
But how many of those people click to buy just because of her? How many would still buy it if they just put some random advert out instead? And how many were going to buy it anyway?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I reckon a big YouTuber is going to run for President in 2020. :nervous:
Would rather see Philip DeFranco, Dave Rubin and other YouTubers represent the US than Trump to be fair.
But then again, it would probably be Jake Paul. :lol:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Hasn't the bubble bust with Youtube recently? People are receiving less ad revenue than ever or so I've read.
Ad revenue is down, but patreon & merchandise keep the big YouTubers very financially well off still.

Cypriot

Hasn't the bubble bust with Youtube recently? People are receiving less ad revenue than ever or so I've read.
Ad revenue is down, but patreon & merchandise keep the big YouTubers very financially well off still.
Yeah, so since it's now harder for them - surely this beef that they're all having (possibly fake), is generating them all astronomical view counts.

Zebs

KSI, is that the guy who just screams whilst playing FIFA?
He was, but hardly plays FIFA anymore, in fact, he continually comes out against it these days. Is an occasional Youtuber/"rapper" now.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
But how many of those people click to buy just because of her? How many would still buy it if they just put some random advert out instead? And how many were going to buy it anyway?
That's why they have specific links.
So instead of the link saying: www.houseoffraser.com/makeup/mac or whatever.
It will say: www.houseoffraser.com/makeup/mac/youtubemua1 - and they'll usually shorten it further so it just says www.bit.ly/3etteg < or something.

And as part of the merchant process you can track and trace which products are purchased buy external links, plus you can track how much traffic these referral links bring in. So from that you can see how many clicks the sponsors give you, plus how many of those clicks actually convert into sales, then by tracking things like IP addresses you can see if someone who was brought from a sponsor link, actually bought a completely different product for example too - there's a lot of things you can trace.
It's a pretty abstract thought but if you've seen any digital marketing analytics then you can see how simple it is to keep track of this kind of stuff.

Neelu

Likes to eat cement and rubber but not boogers
KSI, is that the guy who just screams whilst playing FIFA?
I think he stopped playing FIFA quite a while ago. He was entertaining then with his commentary, but now he is into all kinds of other stuff. Unsubscribed long ago.

Flying high

Youtube celebrities should be treated just like most other celebrities.

If you enjoy their content then watch it. If it's vacuous crap, then try to ignore it.

Most importantly though, don't take an interest in their life. They are no more important than anyone else and are typically at the high maintenance/attention seeking end of the human scale.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Find Patreon mental. Jim Sterling, for instance, is a pretty small-fry Youtube "star" and he's getting 12k a month on it.
Oh I agree that Patreon is mental. People should be "allowed" to support the content they want. Sterling just seem to have a fanbase that have the cash to back him, and the willingness to do it.

I think sponsorships/patron is good for the platform, as it frees people up from the restrictive rulebook for googles advertisers.
If your content has a good following and the individuals/companies want to/don't mind being associated with you, you get money for your work.

I wouldn't want for example Nostalgia critic to change his ways if he fell under the the knife because of advertisers backing down from his channel via youtube, or other people like AngryJoe. If Patron/company sponsorships is what makes them stay true to their content and evolve naturally instead of forced-changes through policies of the platform, it's doing a good thing.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I made it 14 seconds in but it was too cringeworthy to watch :/

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Well traditional TV has its fair share of famous people without any specific discernible talent, many of them ignorant and even offensive and some have been going for decades. As long as there's an audience that relates to them they will keep on going. Youtube isn't any different, nor there's any reason why it should be.

JoaquinJoaquin

Both of these two are pr1cks of the highest order, but judging by the amount of kids that sit on YouTube all day this kind of rubbish does not surprise me either.

That's why they have specific links.
So instead of the link saying: www.houseoffraser.com/makeup/mac or whatever.
It will say: www.houseoffraser.com/makeup/mac/youtubemua1 - and they'll usually shorten it further so it just says www.bit.ly/3etteg < or something.

And as part of the merchant process you can track and trace which products are purchased buy external links, plus you can track how much traffic these referral links bring in. So from that you can see how many clicks the sponsors give you, plus how many of those clicks actually convert into sales, then by tracking things like IP addresses you can see if someone who was brought from a sponsor link, actually bought a completely different product for example too - there's a lot of things you can trace.
It's a pretty abstract thought but if you've seen any digital marketing analytics then you can see how simple it is to keep track of this kind of stuff.
I know that bit, but what I mean is how do you know that customer is buying purely off her recommendation.

Say I'm in the market for a new TV and I click your friend's link to samsung.com. What's to say I wouldn't have clicked the same link from some banner ad that cost half the price? And how do you know I wasn't just about to get in the car and drive to Currys anyway, or go to Amazon and order it there? She wasn't influencing my purchasing decision in any way, she was just there at the right time.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I know that bit, but what I mean is how do you know that customer is buying purely off her recommendation.

Say I'm in the market for a new TV and I click your friend's link to samsung.com. What's to say I wouldn't have clicked the same link from some banner ad that cost half the price? And how do you know I wasn't just about to get in the car and drive to Currys anyway, or go to Amazon and order it there? She wasn't influencing my purchasing decision in any way, she was just there at the right time.
Well it's pretty simple. Because the link is unique - you wouldn't have been able to find it unless you either watched her youtube video/instagram post/tweet or whatever.
Here's an example of a link that someone I watch on youtube left on one of her most recent videos;
https://www.youtube.com/redirect?re...A1MjI1Nzg5&q=http://bit.ly/2vMHAHX&event=desc
however on youtube it's shortened to: http://bit.ly/2vMHAHX

These aren't things that the average joe will just type in, they're designed specifically to notify the sponsor that this particular youtuber has referred x amount of people to the site.

The banner ad will have it's own unique identifying link, that isn't tied to the youtuber at all - so it's easy to trace that also.

As for whether marketing influences your decision, only you will know whether you are not influenced by any branding, advertising or marketing at all - but there's a reason why its a multi-billion dollar industry globally, and you've got hundreds of people getting paid for simply advertising things on youtube.
Word of mouth and recommendations carry weight, potentially more so than commercial marketing, and youtubers are helping brands establish themselves simply by pushing certain products.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Don't particularly like it, but it probably fits right in with old skool television slowly but steadily fading away.

And I guess the reshuffling of the media landscape offers so much opportunity, it's never been easier to start your own tv channel or media outlet and get loads of attention with it.

Minkaro

Markiplier, who does those gaming vids, is actually going on tour. Like actually on an actual stage.

I like him, I enjoy his videos, and I'm honestly a bit stumped as to what is happening.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Well traditional TV has its fair share of famous people without any specific discernible talent, many of them ignorant and even offensive and some have been going for decades. As long as there's an audience that relates to them they will keep on going. Youtube isn't any different, nor there's any reason why it should be.
Well at least Game of Thrones actors aren't fighting Walking Dead actors