Television Loki (Tv series)

el3mel

Didn't expect a season 2.

Anyway this was actually a much better finale than both that of WV and Falcon and Winter Soldier. No underwhelming fight or terrible, rushed pacing. It took its time and was mostly a set up for the upcoming.

As for the season as a whole, the first 3 episodes were mostly really boring for me, and dragged the story a l to be honest, but I enjoyed the last 3 episodes. The pacing becomes better, the story progressed in a smoother way than whatever was happening before that and some moments between the 2 Lokis and Loki and Mobius were fun.

Considering that this season ended up being a set up for the multiverse and a second season, I'll rate it 7/10. Overall decent, but not great. However, I'm looking forward to what's coming next.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I just wan to drop in to say how fecking awesome Jonathan Majors is. I loved his performance and can't wait to see what he does with the role in the show/movies.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I just wan to drop in to say how fecking awesome Jonathan Majors is. I loved his performance and can't wait to see what he does with the role in the show/movies.
Honestly, I hated that character as how he played it. What was he supposed to be, a evil villain? A comedian? It was him trying to be too many things and not finalizing any single one. Totally lacked gravitas for that role. Good actor, but didn't do that role justice.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Honestly, I hated that character as how he played it. What was he supposed to be, a evil villain? A comedian? It was him trying to be too many things and not finalizing any single one. Totally lacked gravitas for that role. Good actor, but didn't do that role justice.
that was the point! He was not playing Kang the Conqueror, he was playing Kant the sort of insane who just wants it to end some way.

el3mel

There's something worth noting : I really liked the soundtrack of this show. Probably some of the best OSTs done in MCU so far.

Eddy_JukeZ

I thought it was excellent.

I've been fairly down on Marvel's phase 4, but I thought the casting was superb for the show and the tone/soundtrack was great.

I am guessing this blows Wandavision and Falcon & The Winter soldier out of the park in terms of quality. Is it worth watching those 2 shows after Loki?

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
I thought it was excellent.

I've been fairly down on Marvel's phase 4, but I thought the casting was superb for the show and the tone/soundtrack was great.

I am guessing this blows Wandavision and Falcon & The Winter soldier out of the park in terms of quality. Is it worth watching those 2 shows after Loki?
WandaVision is really good in a cooky “wtf is happening sort of way”. I’d recommend that if you liked Loki you’ll really like that too.
Falcon and the winter soldier is more like a spy thriller and is more character based. It deals with the consequences of Endgame with half the people coming back 5 years later and being displaced, and the PTSD of Bucky. It’s not as fantastical as the other two but worth watching still.

bucky

I think what I appreciated the most about this show was the production design and overall look of the show. Similar to Legion, it has a different look and feel compared to other Marvel properties and actually stands out a bit. Especially having just seen Black Widow, which felt very forgettable in that regard.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Agree. It was an irritatingly mannered performance, right from the beginning with the apple chewing.

Ultimately this was the reveal the entire season had been building towards and in the end he functioned as a set-up for other films rather than as a character in his own right.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
It's not ending for him, right? He says he gets resurrected and back to same place! It just doesn't stand to reason that the all encompassing power behind our timeline was a bad comedian.
Not resurrected. He was a variant of Kang, a variant who had emerged victorious from a war between all his variants. He tells Loki and Sylvie:
Well, guess what? I keep you safe. And if you think I'm evil, well, just wait till you meet my variants.
You may hate the dictator, but something far worse is gonna fill that void if you depose of him. I've lived a million lifetimes. I've gone through every scenario. This is the only way.
At the end we see that the statues of the timekeepers has been replaced by a statue of Kang. I think THAT Kang is going to be the evil badass you were looking for.

As to why he was acting so erratic? He tells us why. He is tired and possibly feeling guilt for his actions:
Buddy... I'm tired. And I'm older. I'm older than I look. This game is for the young, the hungry.
We're all villains here. We've all done horrible, terrible, horrific things. But now, we, you... have a chance to do them for a good reason.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
He explicitly said he'd get resurrected. Use that word too.

All that drama just to search for a heir and then let them tear it all down!
I just checked and the word resurrect never appears in the transcript. He does say reincarnation, by which I think he is referring to his "rebirth" in his timeline.

I would argue that he is not really searching for an heir. While he may not know what will happen he knows exactly what and who Sylvie is, who he shaped her to be. Beyond that he gives them a false binary choice "Kill me or rule", something which Loki sees through. It's why he tells Sylvie to wait, and why he says he does not want the throne. He knows the real choice is to not choose and to seek help.

Anyways, we can agree to disagree, that's the beauty of it all.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Thought he was brilliant myself, hard to make that character believable, but he seemed driven to madness by living too long.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Tom Hiddleston acting throughout is too theatrical throughout, same when he was in the Avenger movies, only in the movies other Avengers were there to offset this to a certain extent.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Tom Hiddleston acting throughout is too theatrical throughout, same when he was in the Avenger movies, only in the movies other Avengers were there to offset this to a certain extent.
I thought it was absolutely on point. That's exactly how Loki should be. He's about drama and performance. He's a trickster god, after all.

choccy77

I thought it was absolutely on point. That's exactly how Loki should be. He's about drama and performance. He's a trickster god, after all.
Exactly, his performance was spot on throughout

Sylar

Agree with this, I think for the most part the casting within MCU has been awesome

el3mel

It's supposed to be theatrical. He's a Nordic god. He should talk different from others. Thor in comics also talk same way but they changed it in the movies. They even write the letters of Thor in different form than other heroes in comics just to give you the sense of him being different than them. Loki is the same.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Finally watched it. Was ok. Hiddlestone is excellent as Loki, one of those casting decisions that worked so well. Nice to see Owen Wilson and his nose. The music and set design was fantastic.

I didn't like the actress playing the female Loki. Just seemed so generic. Vanessa Kirby would have been better maybe? The fight scenes were beyond shit. Like they just filmed the rehearsals and put them into the show.

I read a bit here about Kang. But didn't he say he's "He who remains"...? Looking that up, it's actually a character in marvel. So is he that guy or Kang?

Either way, the ending made me feel robbed. I wanted a conclusive ending to this specific story but got Marvelled yet again. Shame on me!

Sylar

Either way, the ending made me feel robbed. I wanted a conclusive ending to this specific story but got Marvelled yet again. Shame on me!
Think with a season 2 you were never going to get a conclusive ending like we got with the internal story of wandavision (or F & WS)

LonelyFire

Finally watched it. Was ok. Hiddlestone is excellent as Loki, one of those casting decisions that worked so well. Nice to see Owen Wilson and his nose. The music and set design was fantastic.

I didn't like the actress playing the female Loki. Just seemed so generic. Vanessa Kirby would have been better maybe? The fight scenes were beyond shit. Like they just filmed the rehearsals and put them into the show.

I read a bit here about Kang. But didn't he say he's "He who remains"...? Looking that up, it's actually a character in marvel. So is he that guy or Kang?

In the MCU, He Who Remains is a variant of Kang

decorativeed

The ending of a series like that isn't an exclusively Marvel thing though, is it? I've been watching Better Call Saul for five or six years or whatever now, and none of those seasons wrap themselves up with a satisfying conclusion. You just want to see what happens next. It's all the same.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
The ending of a series like that isn't an exclusively Marvel thing though, is it? I've been watching Better Call Saul for five or six years or whatever now, and none of those seasons wrap themselves up with a satisfying conclusion. You just want to see what happens next. It's all the same.
I thought this was a stand-alone series that will be a story that would work alone AND tie into the bigger MCU (like F&W) but I didn't realise it has more seasons planned.

decorativeed

I thought this was a stand-alone series that will be a story that would work alone AND tie into the bigger MCU (like F&W) but I didn't realise it has more seasons planned.
To be fair, nobody did until they announced it in the credits of the final episode.

My main disappointment with it was at one point it was described as almost akin to a police procedural with a classic veteran/rookie dynamic. That sounded like fun. I also hated Jonathan Majors' schlocky take on his character at the end, it was incredibly irritating. I've not seen a performance like that in a super hero film since Cage's Ghost Rider.

Reiver

It's definitely Kang, or a variation of him. He's rumoured to be in the next Ant Man Film, although I'm not sure if that is confirmed.

Reiver

Is this brother more powerful than Thanos according to lore?
Traditionally - and by this I mean in the comics - on an individual level, I think Thanos is more powerful, with or without the infinity gauntlet. But Kang has an empire that spans 100s/1000s of planets across time and space. And, on the back of Loki, potentially across different universes. If that's the way the cinematic universe are going to represent him. There will probably be some changes.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Traditionally - and by this I mean in the comics - on an individual level, I think Thanos is more powerful, with or without the infinity gauntlet. But Kang has an empire that spans 100s/1000s of planets across time and space. And, on the back of Loki, potentially across different universes. If that's the way the cinematic universe are going to represent him. There will probably be some changes.
Bloody hell. I bet my boy Punisher will slap them both up

Oldyella

Is this brother more powerful than Thanos according to lore?
Thanos is more powerful, but Kang is a smart guy who can time travel and has a ton of futuristic gear and weaponry. As far as I'm aware Kang is pretty much your average human strength wise.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Thanos is more powerful, but Kang is a smart guy who can time travel and has a ton of futuristic gear and weaponry. As far as I'm aware Kang is pretty much your average human strength wise.
In your opinion, who is the strongest villain in Marvel lore? Would it be Thanos? Maybe Galactus?

Oldyella

In your opinion, who is the strongest villain in Marvel lore? Would it be Thanos? Maybe Galactus?
It's a cliche but, whoever the writer wants it to be, is normally the beat answer. Comics have been around so long that most villains have a log books worth of defeats.

SirAnderson

I just finished it and I think this sums it up perfectly for me. The last part even more so. It's always the case. Now we wait a year to be left on another cliffhanger for another year, or 2 depending on how things go.