London 2012 Opening Ceremony

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24

In a somewhat comical episode this morning during what you might call the the pre-opening ceremony, Jeremy Hunt's handbell fell apart. lol

Thankfully there's not been too many leaks but apparently they have chosen some music with a faster beat to encourage the athletes to march into the stadium quicker.

Scrumpet

There are no words
I keep hearing they've tried to work a lot of humour into it, so I'm cringing just thinking about it.

It's a tough gig, everyone's expecting it to be shit, and yet it'll be slated if is indeed so. They should just put this up on a big screen.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
The Chinese certainly demonstrated some awe inspiring coordination.

However i am hoping that we Brits shall instead offer up panache and eccentricity.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
On the news just now they played an interview with a woman who has been at one of the rehearsals, she said that it brought tears to her eyes three times so affecting was the ceremony. Made her feel proud to be British.

mightberight

Arctic Monkeys and Muse playing. That's enough to watch a different channel.
Fixed. Joking aside, I guess they're OK but are they really going to be a part of the opening ceremony? They're rock bands. Rock bands don't belong in the Olympics, so I'm thinking instantaneously of cheese.

I don't expect it to be shit, and I don't want it to be shit. I hate our self-deprecating attitude, I just hope it's a show that we can proud to be put on in tough times. I hate all the moaning at something that should be a celebration.

Ludens the Red

Fixed. Joking aside, I guess they're OK but are they really going to be a part of the opening ceremony? They're rock bands. Rock bands don't belong in the Olympics, so I'm thinking instantaneously of cheese.

I don't expect it to be shit, and I don't want it to be shit. I hate our self-deprecating attitude, I just hope it's a show that we can proud to be put on in tough times. I hate all the moaning at something that should be a celebration.
:houllier:

Don't belong? cheese? Would you prefer if we opted for Will.I.Am, J.L.S or Olly Murs?
Muse and Arctic Monkeys are two of the most successful BRITISH bands over the last decade. They produce their own music. They're versatile. Much better choice than the generic, plastic crap alternative, that events like this usually conger up.

What is it you'd prefer?

kps88

Don't belong? cheese? Would you prefer if we opted for Will.I.Am, J.L.S or Olly Murs?
Muse and Arctic Monkeys are two of the most successful BRITISH bands over the last decade. They produce their own music. They're versatile. Much better choice than the generic, plastic crap alternative, that events like this usually conger up.

What is it you'd prefer?
Are Arctic Monkeys and Muse really best Britain can offer? I can name 20 others more deserving.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
When does it start? Lots of people on Twitter moaning that NBC isn't showing it live in the US. Most of the moaning is from Brits as far as I can tell.

Scrumpet

There are no words
When does it start? Lots of people on Twitter moaning that NBC isn't showing it live in the US. Most of the moaning is from Brits as far as I can tell.
I think the show itself starts at 9pm BST, though I think there is some faffing about beforehand.

kps88

name them
Stones, Zeppelin, Floyd, Queen, Radiohead, Blur, Pulp, The Cure, PJ Harvey, Eric Clapton, Bowie, Morrissey, Elton John, Depeche Mode, Jeff Beck, Chemical Brothers, Pet Shop Boys, The Coral, Libertines.

Actually, while writing those names I imagined they must have asked lots of them but Muse and Artic Monkeys were the best they could get.

I don't want this turning into a subjective debate about music, but I just feel most of those bands I named have done much more for British music than Muse/AM.

mightberight

What is it you'd prefer?
None at all. Why do we need them? I love Radiohead, and they're one of the greatest bands that have ever lived, but feck do I think they belong at the Olympics.

But as I said - and which you've completely missed - it isn't because I hate them. They're decent (though in my opinion, Muse are now a parody of themselves). But I want a classy, thought-provoking, cultural experience, not a mini-rock concert with a British flag draped over it. Maybe they'll incorporate it well, but I'm struggling to see how.

NewDawnFades

Is anyone watching the BBC News coverage of this?

It has been absolutely mental all day. Eccentricity and incompetence combining to great comic effect, the ceremony will be fun.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
The musical aspect isn't necessarily there for itself alone, there will be a need for it to compliment for it to compliment the whole performance and go alongside other performing arts.

There'll be rock music , classical, folk, world, brass bands, steel bands, one big melting point of sound.

mightberight

The musical aspect isn't necessarily there for itself alone, there will be a need for it to compliment for it to compliment the whole performance and go alongside other performing arts.

There'll be rock music , classical, folk, world, brass bands, steel bands, one big melting point of sound.

Good, as long as they're not even close to being the centrepiece I'll live with it.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Only stands to reason and there was a decided musical theme to our handover if Beijing in 08.

So McCartney to sing Let It Be at some point.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Kind of funny that they have 'London Calling' as a song for the Olympics, isn't it a protest song?

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Why don't they just get rid of the ceremony all together. I'll light up the flame with a Marlboro Light and we can start the Olympic shooting events with some cnuts from South London.

kps88

It's going to close on Hey Jude being sung by everyone involved in the ceremony and all the athletes isn't it? The ending singalong to that song is a only enjoyable to those actually in attendance.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Stones, Zeppelin, Floyd, Queen, Radiohead, Blur, Pulp, The Cure, PJ Harvey, Eric Clapton, Bowie, Morrissey, Elton John, Depeche Mode, Jeff Beck, Chemical Brothers, Pet Shop Boys, The Coral, Libertines.

Actually, while writing those names I imagined they must have asked lots of them but Muse and Artic Monkeys were the best they could get.

I don't want this turning into a subjective debate about music, but I just feel most of those bands I named have done much more for British music than Muse/AM.
The Coral and The Libertines

Christ on a bike, get a hold of yourself man :houllier:

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
So, who is going to light the torch then?

My money is on the Queen or Prince William.
Any member of the royal family lighting the cauldron would be an absolute piss take.

I think it should be Sir Steve Redgrave.