London Bridge Incident | 29th November 2019

Is it true that those that stopped him were also ex-cons at the same conference he was at? And one was also a murderer on day release but his victims family didn't know?

If so, that's hilarious how DM commenters are saying we need to be harsher on punishments but give these people honours
There’s no doubt we need to be harsher on people convicted of plotting to bomb UK pubs, the London Exhange and setting up jihadist training camps. No doubt.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Just seen the video of those guys taking him down. Balls of steel.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Radicalisation seems to be a big problem everywhere. The government should do more to integrate minorities.
This isn't a UK only problem. There's similar problems across Europe and at some point governments have to do damage limitation assuming that while many minorities take the opportunities afforded to them, some others don't wish to integrate.

I still can't figure out how this guy convicted of terrorism offences convinced a parole board that he should be released to general life while also planning to build terror camps in Pakistan. What the hell is all that surveillance machinery for if they can't even identify the threats right underneath their noses?

hp88

This isn't a UK only problem. There's similar problems across Europe and at some point governments have to do damage limitation assuming that while many minorities take the opportunities afforded to them, some others don't wish to integrate.

I still can't figure out how this guy convicted of terrorism offences convinced a parole board that he should be released to general life while also planning to build terror camps in Pakistan. What the hell is all that surveillance machinery for if they can't even identify the threats right underneath their noses?
Something went horribly wrong if he was allowed to be released by law without review.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Something went horribly wrong if he was allowed to be released by law without review.

Yeah because if you go back to the original case they were given indeterminate sentences
This was overruled as it was decided by the judge that a parole board would be best placed to decide if they should be released
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22168422

The al-Qaeda inspired group had considered attacks in the UK, including bombing pubs, and setting up a jihadist training camp in Pakistan.

The Court of Appeal said indeterminate sentences given to the men should be replaced with fixed terms.

Judges said the Parole Board was best placed to decide when the men were safe to be be released from jail.

The plotters were part of a group from Stoke-on-Trent, London and Cardiff who had been watched for months by police and MI5.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Just seen the video of those guys taking him down. Balls of steel.
:lol: it's like something out of a comedy movie. You genuinely couldn't imagine a more random scenario than that.

The US has the right idea for once. Anyone convicted of terrorism offences should be placed in solitary confinement for life. Rehabilitation is pointless in those cases.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Yeah. I wonder what happened at that moment.

@TheReligion - Any views on why an armed police officer would do that? Whats the training protocol to initiate such decisions?
Why not? I understand the prejudice against cops using live bullets, but in cases like this where the perps are attacking people in broad daylight and doesnt surrender i think it's understandable he will got shot.

Bear in mind at that time the cops didnt have any idea on what sort of threat they're facing. We knew from the safety of our chair that it's a knife and no bombs. They didnt.

Obviously I'll hold my judgment until further info, but wont be bothered any bit if they use lethal forces in cases like this, especially in current climate.

Red Star One

Very proud the guy with a huge narwhal tusk is my fellow compatriot :D now imagine seeing this in a movie - terrorist in a suicide vest (no one knew it was hoax back then) being knocked down by three men, one of them with a fire extinguisher, other with a bloody 1,5 meter whale tusk. It would seem a bit far-fetched and unrealistic, no?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Very proud the guy with a huge narwhal tusk is my fellow compatriot :D now imagine seeing this in a movie - terrorist in a suicide vest (no one knew it was hoax back then) being knocked down by three men, one of them with a fire extinguisher, other with a bloody 1,5 meter whale tusk. It would seem a bit far-fetched and unrealistic, no?
Get narwhale man and the rest on the honours list asap
Apparently narwhale man has been reported as polish...dunno if that's true but I guess you do?
Bloody immigrants coming over here and risking their life by using improvised weapons to take down terrorists

diarm

Where the feck did your man get a fecking whale tusk?

My sense of London geography is close to nil but I really want to believe he was in the Natural History Museum and has just pinched it off the wall as it all kicked off!

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

My sense of London geography is close to nil but I really want to believe he was in the Natural History Museum and has just pinched it off the wall as it all kicked off!
Took it off the wall at the restaurant he works at apparently. The story get's more bizarre every time we get a bit more information on it.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

From the market, I think it was decorative piece on the wall. I quite like the idea that this man, in the heat of the moment, responded by grabbing a tusk.

diarm

Took it off the wall at the restaurant he works at apparently. The story get's more bizarre every time we get a bit more information on it.
He's definitely played this scenario out in his head before! Most of us have.

Most of us don't have a 5 foot fish sword hanging on the wall at work though.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Interesting choice to opt for the Nardwhal tusk rather than any of the larger knives a restaurant is presumably stocked with. Still, can't argue with results.

AlwaysRed66

What is even more frightening is in less than two weeks millions of UK citizens are happily going to vote for a Communist terrorist appeaser who is masquerading as head of the Labour party. I am amazed he hasn't yet condemned the police for shooting the poor thing, though sure if there wasn't an election he would have done so.

I really feel bad for the innocent people who were killed & their families, & hopefully there will be an enquiry of how terror suspects like this are released when clearly a danger to the public.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
You call that a stabby object? Nah, T. H. I. S is a stabby object!

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
This is a party political broadcast brought to you by the Conservative Party

What is even more frightening is in less than two weeks millions of UK citizens are happily going to vote for a Communist terrorist appeaser who is masquerading as head of the Labour party. I am amazed he hasn't yet condemned the police for shooting the poor thing, though sure if there wasn't an election he would have done so.

I really feel bad for the innocent people who were killed & their families, & hopefully there will be an enquiry of how terror suspects like this are released when clearly a danger to the public.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history

:boring:

Blatzo

Just so I've got this right: Jeremy Corbyn is more frightening that a man running round London stabbing people with a bomb strapped to his torso?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Ok boomer

Last edited:

sebsheep

Interesting choice to opt for the Nardwhal tusk rather than any of the larger knives a restaurant is presumably stocked with. Still, can't argue with results.
Might've actually been the market as posted above, stories constantly change around these things.

sebsheep

No white text?

Red Star One

Get narwhale man and the rest on the honours list asap
Apparently narwhale man has been reported as polish...dunno if that's true but I guess you do?
Bloody immigrants coming over here and risking their life by using improvised weapons to take down terrorists
Yeah he’s a chef and he’s from Poland - apparently the tusk he grabbed from his restaurant, must have looked and felt completely surreal.
How good this fecker didn’t have a real vest. Perhaps also few questions will be asked about how was even let out on the streets.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Fair's feck to them to the civilians who stepped up, a real inspiration.

Sara125

They’re saying now that the man who took the knife off him is a murderer convicted of slitting a woman’s throat and was out of prison on day release. The plot thickens...

Last edited:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Narwhale man seems to be getting much more love than the other two... But I guess fire extinguisher boy and unarmed bloke would be great sidekicks... Cmon marvel sign them up

On a serious note though I suspect the fact that a judge overturned the previous indeterminate sentence and the fact that the parole board were not involved in their release will probably warrant some serious reviews

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
They’re saying now that the man who took the knife off him was is a murderer convicted of slitting a woman’s throat and was out of prison on day release. The plot thickens...
I think fishmongers hall was being used for a conference on rehabilitation etc... Probably why the terrorist had an excuse to be in London ... Potentially lots of stories still to come out

C3Pique

Yeah we should vote for the ones in charge who let him out of prison. You know, the ones who shipped the arena bomber to and from Libya.

Sara125

I think fishmongers hall was being used for a conference on rehabilitation etc... Probably why the terrorist had an excuse to be in London ... Potentially lots of stories still to come out
Oh okay. That makes sense. The updates I was seeing made it seem like it was some kind of ironic twist :lol:

TheReligion

Abusive
Reading lots about the people who detained the attacker. Apparently one was an off duty transport police officer, one a polish chef and another a convicted murderer on day release.

Such a great example of a rag tag group of random people coming together for that one moment to deal with the situation.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why terrorism will never win and divide us.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Reading lots about the people who detained the attacker. Apparently one was an off duty transport police officer, one a polish chef and another a convicted murderer on day release.
Yeah I just heard that. Interesting moral quandary for the bring back the death penalty/ kick all the furriners out brigade.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I know it's not true, but 'Murderer Murders Murderers at Murderer Conference' would've been quite the headline.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Why not? I understand the prejudice against cops using live bullets, but in cases like this where the perps are attacking people in broad daylight and doesnt surrender i think it's understandable he will got shot.

Bear in mind at that time the cops didnt have any idea on what sort of threat they're facing. We knew from the safety of our chair that it's a knife and no bombs. They didnt.

Obviously I'll hold my judgment until further info, but wont be bothered any bit if they use lethal forces in cases like this, especially in current climate.
I wrote that post moments after the incident took place and before any details had emerged. If you look at surrounding posts, you'll see we were all trying to work out what had happened.

I don't have any issue with the police officer taking the decision to shoot this man, and I'm sure he was within his protocols to do so. I also don't have any prejudice against the police in UK and generally think they do a fantastic job.