Film Lord of the Rings vs Star Wars (Originals)

AaronRedDevil

Two absolute Iconic trilogies. Both epic, great story telling, both have brilliant endings. Legendary characters. Both are pretty near perfect.

I’m on the side of LOTR. Watch it every year. Never gets old.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
LOTR are better made movies. I enjoy Star Wars more, especially the original trilogy.

OleBoiii

LOTR of course.

The Star Wars movies are riddled with plot holes, bad dialogue, clichés and even bad acting at times. I still enjoy them of course, but only because of nostalgia. Kind of like Rocky IV.

Last edited:

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I can't actually separate these. My childhood was enriched in 1977 when they started.

The LOTR franchise was close to graphical cinema perfection with a story I knew and loved.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
LOTR's extended edition is hard to defeat, but Star Wars elevated trilogy thing within big movie franchise a long time ago.

Let's be real, Darth Vader would crush Gandalf and Sauron's Tower is easily defeatable from orbit.

Amarsdd

LOTR (extended editions) by a country mile for me. I don't have any nostalgia attached to the original Star Wars trilogy, and the first time I watched it I couldn't figure out what the fuss was all about. Whereas I watch LOTR once every one or couple of years which then leads to me again reading the books.

Moiraine

LOTR and first five seasons of GOT better than anything fantasy world has produced.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
LOTR were better films.

Of the three Star Wars films, only the second was particularly good. The first has a certain shonky charm but is still a messy, ramshackle film. The third is half good, a quarter nonsense and a quarter shite.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I love Star Wars, like, i'm a super Star Wars nerd. I watched the originals on VHS and can remember the order of the adverts and pretty much most of the dialogue. But it's pretty clear that Lord of the Rings are the better films in every department. That's no shame because Star Wars is a classic for its era, just like LOTR is a classic of its era. I get goosebumps on my skin watching LOTR at the key moments.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I like Star Wars and can watch it anytime because of nostalgia but let’s be honest here. The originals were pretty terrible. Lord of the Rings is superior in every fashion.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I prefer the Star Wars universe and it excites me more, but LOTR was an incredible cinematic experience. There are so many moments that make you say “wow” every time you watch it because of how epic it is.

With Star Wars the “wow” moments like the Vader/Luke reveal are lost after you’ve seen it for the first time.

Massive Star Wars fan here but LOTR TFOTR was the most incredible movie I ever saw at the cinema. I was absolutely blown away, couldn’t pick my jaw up for days after the movie. Came out genuinely feeling like I’d just spent 3 hours in Middle Earth.
Pure fantasy perfection.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Lord of the rings easily. Apart from a few forced in cheesy Peter Jackson decisions it was fantasy perfection. Even though I watched them endlessly when they were new, I can still go back and watch them and be amazed how about much they managed to get right. The cast, cinematics etc is just perfect. The hobbit trilogy on the other hand just felt like a cash grab

Chipper

Adulterer.
LOTR by default. I love it but my vote doesn't mean much because I've kind of missed the original Star Wars trilogy as I was 4 when the 3rd one came out. I know it was still big after that and kids I knew had the toys for a few years after but I still don't think I've sat though any of them in full. Seen clips and maybe partially watched some of them for 20 or 30 minutes but never a whole film.,

Obviously aware of basic Star Wars storylines and many of the characters as you can't really avoid it, played computer games too. The Star Wars arcade game is something I remember fondly as well, that was just brilliant.

The only Star Wars film I have definitely seen all of was when they brought it back in about 2001 and everyone thought it was shit, including me.

Maybe I can use coronavirus lockdown time to watch the original Star Wars series.

OleBoiii

Maybe I can use coronavirus lockdown time to watch the original Star Wars series.
My only advice, that you of course didn't ask for, is to keep your expectations low.

Star Wars, even the original trilogy, is only good if you watched it when it came out(I assume, as I wasn't even born) or if you watch it as a kid. Everyone I know who watched Star Wars for the first time in their late teens or in adulthood have found the movies massively underwhelming.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
They're about the same, other than LOTR having the better direction, casting, script, dialogue, sets, characters, plot, cinematography and music.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Love both franchises but LOTR wins this by a country mile for me.

OleBoiii

They're about the same, other than LOTR having the better direction, casting, script, dialogue, sets, characters, plot, cinematography and music.
Alright but apart from better direction, casting, script, dialogue, sets, characters, plot, cinematography and music; WHAT has LOTR ever done for us?!

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Alright but apart from better direction, casting, script, dialogue, sets, characters, plot, cinematography and music; WHAT have LOTR ever done for us?!
Exactly. Nuffin', that's what.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
LoTR 2 & 3 is going off Netflix (at least here) in the next day or so, in case you are bored and need a refresher to brush up.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I loved and watched the og Star Wars a million times more. Though I suppose lotr is by most standards better.

Recent Star Wars is influencing this for the worse.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
LOTR is probably the best trilogy of all time and amazing movies visually and stories and soundtrack, pretty much everything.
Star Wars I always felt was pretty neat and cool but they arent actually that good as movies. More the nostalgia factor with them.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
Robocop wipes the floor with both easily.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Recent Star Wars is influencing this for the worse.
I used to believe that Jar Jar Binks was the shittiest character ever created.

Then Finn came along, a failed stormtrooper who's only purpose was to shout "Rey" for an entire movie.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Love both trilogies. Grew up watching them on repeat. Love The Lord of the Rings just a little bit more.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I need some crazy fecker to plonk down two billion dollars in production budget, hire Alex Garland to rewrite the entire nine Star Wars films, and get Dennis Villeneuve to direct.

This would be the greatest thing to happen to human civilisation.

Sweet Square

Alright but apart from better direction, casting, script, dialogue, sets, characters, plot, cinematography and music; WHAT has LOTR ever done for us?!
Pushed our bladders to point of almost exploding by giving us 1000 different fake endings in final movie .

OleBoiii

Pushed our bladders to point of almost exploding by giving us 1000 different fake endings in final movie .
In the first year of high school I was asked to write an essay about my favorite movie experience. I wrote about the time I went to see Return Of The King and how I had to pee already one hour into the movie. I went into excessive detail about how I thought my bladder was gonna explode, but still endured because I didn't want to miss a single second.

The teacher was not impressed.