Film Lord of the Rings vs Star Wars (Originals)

Eriku

LOTR (extended editions) by a country mile for me. I don't have any nostalgia attached to the original Star Wars trilogy, and the first time I watched it I couldn't figure out what the fuss was all about. Whereas I watch LOTR once every one or couple of years which then leads to me again reading the books.
Same! Also, just to piss off some people in this thread, Star Trek shits on Star Wars.

Sweet Square

In the first year of high school I was asked to write an essay about my favorite movie experience. I wrote about the time I went to see Return Of The King and how I had to pee already one hour into the movie. I went into excessive detail about how I thought my bladder was gonna explode, but still endured because I didn't want to miss a single second.

The teacher was not impressed.
:lol:

Teachers are weird people.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Robocop wipes the floor with both easily.
Robocop vs Gandalf vs Boba Fett. Damn right Robo would ve accurately targeted their heads before they could even pull the trigger. On their magic and laser beams.

On another note - clearly Stat Wars is a phenomemon in and of itself but the LOTR movies were simply much better movies and they even released extended cuts to make us book readers a little happier. Every part of the trilogy is as epic as Gladiator. Remaking the original SW movies will be pretty easy to improve upon in many ways. Re doing the LOTR and trumping the original is going to be very very hard.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Still haven’t seen any Star Wars film but after watching LOTR again recently for the first time in about a decade I was surprised at how badly its ageing visually.

Rooney1987

I was gonna say the opposite outside of a few scenes in The Fellowship visually I think LOTRs has aged very well.

spaceboyRSA

In the first year of high school I was asked to write an essay about my favorite movie experience. I wrote about the time I went to see Return Of The King and how I had to pee already one hour into the movie. I went into excessive detail about how I thought my bladder was gonna explode, but still endured because I didn't want to miss a single second.

The teacher was not impressed.
Clearly he/ she was pissed off.

Oh and LOTR for the win. Star Wars can kiss my one ring.

Fingeredmouse

Still haven’t seen any Star Wars film but after watching LOTR again recently for the first time in about a decade I was surprised at how badly its ageing visually.
Really? I'm surprised at this. Odd dodgy bit of CGI in FOTR granted but outside of that, given how much of the film's effects were achieved practically, I am shocked.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Really? I'm surprised at this. Odd dodgy bit of CGI in FOTR granted but outside of that, given how much of the film's effects were achieved practically, I am shocked.
I rewatched FOTR recently, some of CGI is slightly dated for sure but it hasn't aged visually at all. Still looks a wonderful film.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Not really fair since the technology available to Jackson let him do so much more. I know, I know that Lucas had that available for the later films and went mental, but allowing for the fact that he was young and still not totally money driven I reckon the original three Star Wars would have still been great with suitable effects that match LOTR.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Not really fair since the technology available to Jackson let him do so much more. I know, I know that Lucas had that available for the later films and went mental, but allowing for the fact that he was young and still not totally money driven I reckon the original three Star Wars would have still been great with suitable effects that match LOTR.
Technology aside however - I think most of us are also saying they are better movies for more than just that.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I rewatched FOTR recently, some of CGI is slightly dated for sure but it hasn't aged visually at all. Still looks a wonderful film.
Yep. In fact I think the Hobbit prequels look more dated despite also being more recent. Over reliance on CGI is a killer.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I’ve been re-watching LOTR under quarantine, and they look fine.

It almost makes New Zealand seem like it is a real place.

Art Vandelay

For all the damage horrendous writing in the prequels and sequels has done to it, it's still easily Star Wars for me, Clive. LOTR is boring cack and the Ewoks would totally wreck the Hobbits. The shoeless cnuts would get beaten with stones then eaten while they are busy lustily staring into each others eyes. I'm pretty sure Ewoks eat people. Willow is the best film about short people walking places.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It's really impossible to compare.

LOTR has unique advantages:
They have an incredible universe that was created by an absolute creative genius, filled with information, stories and details that give you tons of space to manoeuvre.
They had so much money and modern technologies that helped them to create this masterpiece.

Star Wars, for all its brilliance, are a bit shallow, because the universe they exist in is not as deep and as interestingly and thoughtfully written (yeah, I know that there are lots of books). But they were absolutely groundbreaking and they're still visually stunning, which is simply incredible for a sci-fi movie from the late 70's.

On an emotional level, I'd probably choose Star Wars — simply because the LOTR movies didn't blew me away or made me fell in love with the universe, Tolkien did it way before them. And there's so much amazing stuff that was introduced in Star Wars movies that I still love/remember/cherish. Certain LOTR scenes deserve to be mentioned as absolute classics, like the Battle of Helm's Deep. Modern cinema at its best.

justboy68

I don't really find them comparable. To me LOTR is a masterpiece, although at times it drags a bit. Star Wars is good fun and created a really interesting lore, but it's not really competing at the same level.

Sweet Square

The thing they both share is there really only being one genuinely good film in their trilogies, - The Fellowship Of The Ring and The Empire Strikes Back. The other two movies are at best 7/10.

Also I don't know if this was a deliberate choice or not but jesus the LOTR films really show off high fantasy racism.

Last edited:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The thing both they both share its that there's really only one genuinely good film in the trilogy, - The Fellowship Of The Right and The Empire Strikes Back. The other two movies are at best 7/10.

Also I don't know if this was a deliberate choice or not but jesus the TOTR films really show off the high fantasy racism.
Wait...what?

DoomSlayer

LOTR as movies and franchise as a whole is hard to top. The world building with the books and the way it was transferred into live-action movies was phenomenal.

Sweet Square

Closet Torie/GOP operative detected.

Seriously though, the Two Towers is at least a 7.5.
It has to lose some points for this god awful scene

The main characters in The Two Towers and Return Of The King are basically marvel super hero's, There's rarely any moments in both films where you think the main character are in danger of dying yet it's pretty much 6 hours of battle scene(As the battles scene increase so does their abilities to do outrageously stupid shite, Legolas takes down a giant elephant and skateboards off it's trunk at one point in Return Of The King). The fellowship is the only film where you get the sense the characters are in danger, imo.

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It has to lose some points for this god awful scene

The main characters in The Two Towers and Return Of The King are basically marvel super hero's, There's rarely any moments in both films where you think the main character are in danger of dying yet it's pretty much 6 hours of battle scene(As the battles scene increase so does their abilities to do outrageously stupid shite, Legolas takes down a giant elephant and skateboards off it's trunk at one point in Return Of The King). The fellowship is the only film where you get the sense the characters are in danger, imo.
Elves are immortal, can come back from the dead, have boundless knowledge, are masters of numerous crafts and skilled in warfare, to the point where they can battle and kill literal gods, and you're frowning at Legolas surfing down some steps?

Sweet Square

Elves are immortal, can come back from the dead, have boundless knowledge, are masters of numerous crafts and skilled in warfare, to the point where they can battle and kill literal gods, and you're frowning at Legolas surfing down some steps?
It doesn't annoy me because it's unrealistic, it annoys me because it looks shite.

Also the playing into the whole legolas is superman killed any tension in the battle scenes. If he can't die and can take down giant enemies on his own, why not give him a shotgun and cut the film running time in half. Scenes like the one above might be great for fans but it makes for boring film making.

Fingeredmouse

It doesn't annoy me because it's unrealistic, it annoys me because it looks shite.

Also the playing into the whole legolas is superman killed any tension in the battle scenes. If he can't die and can take down giant enemies on his own, why not give him a shotgun and cut the film running time in half. Scenes like the one above might be great for fans but it makes for boring film making.
The presence of Legolas, who they absolutely went a bit mental with, did not kill any tension in the battle scenes for me. In all three major battles the good guys are taking a total kicking until whichever last minute tipping point event (or "eucatastrophe" as Tolkien called it) occurred (Gandalf, Eomer and the Huorns at the Battle of the Hornburg, The army of the dead at the Pelennor, The destruction of the Ring at the Morannon) which is central to one of Tolkien's key themes about not giving up no matter the seeming odds and doing the right thing even if you know defeat is certain. For me, the best battler in the whole trilogy is the scrap at Amon Hen at the end of FOTR which is visceral and gritty.

The clip you posted above with the cowabunga elf, which directly follows the breaching of the outer defence wall at Helm's Deep resulting in the deaths of a huge swathe of the defending troops including every elf but Legolas and immediately preceded the Uruk Hai taking the Hornburg, is ridiculous nonsense and patently shite but I struggle to see how it shattered suspense.

Regarding your earlier point regarding racism in the Rings, which is a whole other topic, I'd argue that rather comes from a concious (and occasionally subconcious) Eurocentric bias from an author attempting to create a mythology for his country. Tolkien certainly does not seem to have been a racist from his personal writings and the below quote from the 30s is one such example:
"I must say that the enclosed letter from Rutten & Loening is a bit stiff. Do I suffer this impertinence because of the possession of a German name, or do their lunatic laws require a certificate of arisch origin from all persons of all countries? ... Personally I should be inclined to refuse to give any Bestätigung (although it happens that I can), and let a German translation go hang. In any case I should object strongly to any such declaration appearing in print. I do not regard the (probable) absence of all Jewish blood as necessarily honourable; and I have many Jewish friends, and should regret giving any colour to the notion that I subscribed to the wholly pernicious and unscientific race-doctrine."
I do think the film's choice to portray the Harad as North African and the Easterlings as Asian unnecessary: neither are described as belong to any particular race in the books and that does seem something of an own goal.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Allow these nerd trilogies... Con Air, Face/Off and The Rock are the holy trinity of cinema.

Oh, and LOTR is better than Star Wars.