Film Lord of the Rings

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Return of the King on C4 now.

Still gives me goosebumps when Barad-dur falls.

LOTR has only ever been on C4 of the terrestrial channels - never on ITV or BBC. Strange that.

Livvie

Scout
I love it - cheesy as feck, but I love it.

Another "interesting" observation. I don't think Frodo and Legolas spoke to each other once in the whole trilogy. Even in the "bed" scene, Frodo calls each of them by their name - except Legolas.

decorativeed

Return of the King is the only one really worth watching imo
The whole thing is interminable in my opinion.

I just can't understand the appeal. I knew nothing of the story or the books before watching the films but could guess the ending about half an hour into the first one. From then it's like waiting 8 hours for a bus to turn up. Just throw the fecking ring already you hairy little turds! Worse still is how every one I know keeps telling me how great the films all are.

Livvie

Scout

I just can't understand the appeal. I knew nothing of the story or the books before watching the films but could guess the ending about half an hour into the first one. From then it's like waiting 8 hours for a bus to turn up. Just throw the fecking ring already you hairy little turds! Worst is how every one I know keeps telling me how great the films all are.
The films are great. If you like them. I doubt there's ever been a movie made that's been liked by everyone.

The Flying Potato

I just can't understand the appeal. I knew nothing of the story or the books before watching the films but could guess the ending about half an hour into the first one. From then it's like waiting 8 hours for a bus to turn up. Just throw the fecking ring already you hairy little turds! Worse still is how every one I know keeps telling me how great the films all are.
Definately agree, thats why I think only ROTK is worth watching, its also easily the best of the 3.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Love 'em. Probably my favourite trilogy ever. Two Towers was on last week, I'm guessing Fellowship of the Ring was on the week before but I missed it. Two Towers is probably my favourite, but I think they're fantastically well done. The only bit I never liked was the use of the ghosts. Very deus ex machina, unfortunately.

Livvie

Scout
Definately agree, thats why I think only ROTK is worth watching, its also easily the best of the 3.
They're a set though. :) The third one doesn't make much sense without the others.

I'd be torn between the first and the third, but I still liked the second.

Wonderful ensemble cast too.

Can't wait for it to be remastered in 3D.

decorativeed

The films are great. If you like them. I doubt there's ever been a movie made that's been liked by everyone.
I know. Maybe it's because it is a package of almost all the elements of films that I can't stand: Elves, wizards, CGI, long battle sequences, overly earnest characters, talking trees, all running at a bladder-busting 3 hours each!

sammymc

you could tell half an hour in that Frodo would join Bilbo and the elves on the ships to the Grey Havens?

feck...youre good.

Livvie

Scout
Anybody seen the extended versions?
Just about everyone who's a fan probably.

And the one thing I hated about ROTK EE was when Aragorn went to the caves and raised the army of the dead - it completely spoiled the moment when they turned up to fight. Even knowing what was going to happen, it still ruined it.

The Flying Potato

Anybody seen the extended versions?
Ironicly I own all three of the extended sets - mainly because they were all released when I was like 13 and I only really bought them because LOTR was cool at the time and I wanted to be the only one in my class who had the extended ones....safe to say I have never actualy watched them, ive only seen them in cinema and thats it :lol:

narnar

Needs Help
One of the best trilogies produced IMO. (Though I still prefer Indiana Jones)

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Just about everyone who's a fan probably.

And the one thing I hated about ROTK EE was when Aragorn went to the caves and raised the army of the dead - it completely spoiled the moment when they turned up to fight. Even knowing what was going to happen, it still ruined it.
two towers is the best.
Agreed. Though that could be because I just said these things :)

Another quite decent film on channel 4 now. A good night to be a sad gimp staying in on a Saturday night and watching TV.

032Devil

two towers is the best.
Fellowship of the Ring for me.

Least depressive of the three thanks to the Shires scenes and the death of innocence. The contrast of how good and pure things can be before the world is darkened with greed, lust and power.

DouLou

Been caught pooping
Absolutely love all 3, especially the extended versions.

I read the books before I watched the movies... apart from a few minor irks I think they were pretty much as faithful as they could of been.

narnar

Needs Help
The siege of Helm's Deep was brilliant I thought. The best battle scene throughout all three films.

sammymc

Absolutely love all 3, especially the extended versions.

I read the books before I watched the movies....
same here....about 20 times...id been waiting a while for the films.

DouLou

Been caught pooping
One thing that I don't like about RotK... is when the Witch King and Gandalf face-off...

Gandalf shouldn't of been put on his ass like.. breaking his staff?! Argh.. Gandalf is way to pimp for that to happen!

Just one of the very few blemishes in otherwise flawless adaptations.

Livvie

Scout
Agreed. Though that could be because I just said these things :)
I thought you meant in general.

I loved the ghosts in the theatrical edition. They made it way too long and informative in the EE.

narnar

Needs Help
I thought it was great too. But the Helm's deep scenes I could watch over and over!

VP

First one was ok, the rest were just shite. I made the mistake of downloading this mess again to give it a second chance, ended up watching it in fast forward. Got to miss the cheesy dialogue, terrible music and watched the fight scenes in normal speed.

I still don't understand how this is so popular. 2 gay midgets carrying a ring around loses its appeal for me very quickly.

Ixion

These films seem to be on Channel 4 every week.

The first one is the best I think, more rewatchable than the others. Two Towers is a bit shit actually, Return of the King is too long.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I found them all brilliant when I first watched them...I even went to see the 3rd one the day it came out with a group of tiddlypeeps.....Then I watched them again a few years later and thought "my god this is twaddle"...and now when I watch them I just think it's all pants apart from the big battles, which are all basically interchangeable anyway - "people have big battle with snarly evil goblins, goblins seem to be beating them, then someone else turns up with more people/magic and they prevail in the end to dramatic music."

In fact even the music grates me now...I think it's actually quite shit, and it irks me it's rated alongside genuine classics like Rota and Morricone stuff in all those pointless polls people love having.

Odd really. How times change.

Logan!

I found them all brilliant when I first watched them...I even went to see the 3rd one the day it came out with a group of tiddlypeeps.....Then I watched them again a few years later and thought "my god this is twaddle"...and now when I watch them I just think it's all pants apart from the big battles, which are all basically interchangeable anyway - "people have big battle with snarly evil goblins, goblins seem to be beating them, then someone else turns up with more people/magic and they prevail in the end to dramatic music."

In fact even the music grates me now...I think it's actually quite shit, and it irks me it's rated alongside genuine classics like Rota and Morricone stuff in all those pointless polls people love having.

Odd really. How times change.
:confused:

Apart from the strangeness of being 'irked' by 'pointless polls', I'm the opposite to you Mockers.

When I first watched them I was bored to death and only watched the latter two because I'd watched the first one and wanted to complete the set.

However, I borrowed the box set off my sister a few months ago and watched them all and loved them. I even went as far as watching all of the extras on each dvd to learn how they were made and the passion Peter Jackson had in making them. They're an amazing trilogy of films.