Lorenzo Pellegrini

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Pogba, Matic, Fred, Herrera, Pellegrini is a very good set of midfielders.

Luckhurst reported ManUtd feel SMS valuation is too high so alternatives are considered (sort of)

Thunderhead

Supports
City
think we were in for him and he knocked us back last season

haram

Luckhurst reported ManUtd feel SMS valuation is too high so alternatives are considered (sort of)
Herrera might be gone with McTominay around.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Makes sense, as we don't have a young talented midfielder who needs a chance in the first team at the minute. Oh wait a minute.....

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.

Just missing a back up for Matic for me. Unless Scot or Herrera are seen as that.

Fosu-Mens

SMS is not what we need anyways. Pellegrini is a decent player, but he is not on the same level as SMS and Lucas Torreira. Would still swap him with Herrera.

Pogba, Matic, Lucas Torreira, Seri and Herrera(if he wants another season on the bench) is a more balanced and (arguably better) set of midfielders, for the same price.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
SMS is not what we need anyways. Pellegrini is a decent player, but he is not on the same level as SMS and Lucas Torreira. Would still swap him with Herrera.

Pogba, Matic, Lucas Torreira, Seri and Herrera(if he wants another season on the bench) is a more balanced and (arguably better) set of midfielders, for the same price.
Yeah not sure why we are not in for Torreira. He will be very good player.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Pellegrini would be good as a young player/rotation. He's still got a lot to learn, was very green in the Liverpool tie. If it is a 25m release clause, i'd be up for that - won't get better value elsewhere.

Fosu-Mens

Yeah not sure why we are not in for Torreira. He will be very good player.
He is not high (168), he is not a bulldozer and he is not a "big name" or plays for a "big club". Which is the types of players that Mourinho likes in central positions. Also he is agile and fast, which is not what is needed in Mourinhos "pragmatic" low pressure, compressed off the ball tactic.
Matic (194cm), Pogba(191), Lukaku(191), Mctominay(193), Zlatan (195)
And the players that we are linked with: Talisca(194), Mandzukic(190), Arnaturovic(191), Pellegrini (186)

Fred is only 169cm, so these rumors must either be fabricated or we are only signing him to spite Guardiola;)

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I like the look of him, hes the type of midfielder we have been missing IMO, still young though but certainly talented.

Smores

He is not high (168), he is not a bulldozer and he is not a "big name" or plays for a "big club". Which is the types of players that Mourinho likes in central positions. Also he is agile and fast, which is not what is needed in Mourinhos "pragmatic" low pressure, compressed off the ball tactic.
Matic (194cm), Pogba(191), Lukaku(191), Mctominay(193), Zlatan (195)
And the players that we are linked with: Talisca(194), Mandzukic(190), Arnaturovic(191), Pellegrini (186)

Fred is only 169cm, so these rumors must either be fabricated or we are only signing him to spite Guardiola;)
Yeah just so you know this height thing is getting boring.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
If true surely this has come from Javier Ribalta?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Pellegrini is exactly what you would be expecting from Fellaini if he only knew how to play football. A former CF, Pellegrini moved in midfield later in his career, something which became popular after Pirlo and Scholes did it a few years back. He's tall, technically gifted, he's hardworking and fast. He's still work in progress but I can see him do well with us.

Fosu-Mens

Also boring, also untrue.
Hahaha. Most succesfull teams in todays football usually have a mixture of physical abilities in their central line, but of course we should do it our own way. And we should not follow the direction of how succesful teams play. Nothing to learn from them. Benchmarking is a stupid tool, only useful to compare corporations and markets, and cannot be used in sports.

Womp

idiot
Hahaha. Most succesfull teams in todays football usually have a mixture of physical abilities in their central line, but of course we should do it our own way. And we should not follow the direction of how succesful teams play. Nothing to learn from them. Benchmarking is a stupid tool, only useful to compare corporations and markets, and cannot be used in sports.
What the feck are you talking about

Nick7

You make no sense.

Nick7

Pellegrini is exactly what you would be expecting from Fellaini if he only knew how to play football. A former CF, Pellegrini moved in midfield later in his career, something which became popular after Pirlo and Scholes did it a few years back. He's tall, technically gifted, he's hardworking and fast. He's still work in progress but I can see him do well with us.
What's he like on the ball? You mention Scholes and Pirlo, but is he that type of player?

devilish

What's he like on the ball? You mention Scholes and Pirlo, but is he that type of player?
He's still work in progress of course but he's more of a Giggs in CM then Scholes/Pirlo. He's tall, fast, hes got good technique/dribbling skills and he's got a decent but not Scholesky eye for goal. In fact his preferred role is that of a mezzala ie a CM which shifts on the flanks.

It still early days but the more time passes the more Im convinced that we're doing away with wingers altogether. I think we're going for a 3-5-1-1 system with 3 CBs, 2 attacking wingbacks, a DM, Pogba and Fred/Pellegrini covering CM and the flanks and Sanchez/Martial/Lingard behind Lukaku/Rashford. That might explain why Mou would rather keep/sign attacking wingbacks then go for the more traditional fbs (Darmian, Shaw etc)

Cassidy

He's still work in progress of course but he's more of a Giggs in CM then Scholes/Pirlo. He's tall, fast, hes got good technique/dribbling skills and he's got a decent but not Scholesky eye for goal. In fact his preferred role is that of a mezzala ie a CM which shifts on the flanks.

It still early days but the more time passes the more Im convinced that we're doing away with wingers altogether. I think we're going for a 3-5-1-1 system with 3 CBs, 2 attacking wingbacks, a DM, Pogba and Fred/Pellegrini covering CM and the flanks and Sanchez/Martial/Lingard behind Lukaku/Rashford. That might explain why Mou would rather keep/sign attacking wingbacks then go for the more traditional fbs (Darmian, Shaw etc)
Where would Willian fit in here?

devilish

Where would Willian fit in here?
First of all we have no idea if Willian is going to sign or not. Secondly according to whoscored Willian played more as a no 10 then as a winger last season. So I as wondering if Mou is thinking getting rid of Martial and replace him with Willian. Sanchez, Willian, Lukaku, Lingard and Rashford will be competing for 2 roles.

Cassidy

First of all we have no idea if Willian is going to sign or not. Secondly according to whoscored Willian played more as a no 10 then as a winger last season. So I as wondering if Mou is thinking getting rid of Martial and replace him with Willian.
I like the idea of doing without wingers and having attacking wingbacks.
Seems like Willian for Martial, but I hope not. I'd prefer Willian for Lingard

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Said that last summer when we were linked with Lindelof and Perisic but most didn’t agree. I think we would have deployed the Croatian at LWB

devilish

Said that last summer when we were linked with Lindelof and Perisic but most didn’t agree. I think we would have deployed the Croatian at LWB
Perisic is not a LWB though. He's a classic winger a bit like a poor man's Giggs in his early days. I think what Mourinho wanted last year was to reach a compromise. He would retain a inside forward on the right flank and then bring Perisic on the left flank. Its a bit like what SAF did when he had Ronaldo. He deployed Ronaldo on the right and Fortune/Ji Sung Park on the left. The former would forget about defence altogether while Park/Fortune would help the midfield while delivering crosses the old fashioned way.

Unfortunately Inter went full greedy mode with Perisic and worse still these type of wingers are a dying breed. Its all about inside forwards now. That's something Mou doesn't seem particularly interested in hence why he cant buy into the idea of flank men who refuse to dropping deep and win the ball, something that is very common for classical wingers but is a blasphemy in terms of inside forwards. I think, he's doing away with the flanks altogether to give more licence to his fullbacks who play and act the way Mou expects his wingers to do.

As said its still early days and for all I know Mou might have 3 new wingers ready to be signed which would make me look silly. However I don't think Im that far off on this. Lindelof is most effective in a 3 men CB system, Sandro and Sidibe are quite renowned for their attacking prowess then their defensive duties, Martial seem to be a goner, Pellegri/Fred seem to have the perfect skills to slot in the mezzala role, Sanchez just love to play behind the striker and Pogba is absolutely mint in as the most advanced option in a 3 men CM.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Dont think we need him personally, he doesnt seem anything special. The same age as Andreas Pereira, who looks better at everything just few inches shorter. If Pellegrini was somewhat beast in the air like Fellaini maybe Id consider him but then we can as well try to get Talisca as his replacement. I think this would make as little sense as getting Lindelof at the expense of Tuanzebe

Devil may care

Pointless, he's not much more developed than McTominay at this juncture and just another tall CM, if we want a young CM addition we should be looking at Neves, he has it all and would add someone who can actually control the tempo of a game, something all the CM's we have/are linked to, lack.

MUFC OK

Pointless, he's not much more developed than McTominay at this juncture and just another tall CM, if we want a young CM addition we should be looking at Neves, he has it all and would add someone who can actually control the tempo of a game, something all the CM's we have/are linked to, lack.
I'd love this, and his type are a rare breed these days. I'd snap him up this summer, pay whatever it takes and even consider loaning him back to Wolves.

Sanche7

Really don't know why we are not pursuing Rabiot.
He fits the bill perfectly and has just one year left on his contract. He probably wont renew and we can slowly integrate him into the squad.
He is young but vastly experienced and would cost almost the same as this guy.
That the guy we should be after.