Television Louis Theroux - Shooting Joe Exotic

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Louis Theroux is great but feck me if I never hear about anything Tiger King related again it'll be too soon. You're mugs for even watching it if I'm honest.

cyberman

This and Saville are two documentaries that he had to do over because he missed the story thst was right in front of him. Thats not a good look

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Actually think his stuff is a bit shit now.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He’s phoning in his lockdown projects, unfortunately. Just not the same thing without travel and this one feels like he’s trying to piggy back on everyone’s favourite Netflix show of the first lockdown.

As someone said on Twitter, what’s next? Louis interviews banana bread?

Zen

This and Saville are two documentaries that he had to do over because he missed the story thst was right in front of him. Thats not a good look
Well, from what I can tell, given I didn't grow up with him or well, didn't pay a great deal of attention to him. Unless you're John Lydon....everyone kinda missed it with Saville, despite him being creepy right in front of them, bit mad really, but it's probably been covered enough.

I've kinda lost touch with Theroux though, he's become too mature probably now I think, I don't know. But I also no interest in Tiger King either. I liked his Vegas Gambling and Wrestling ones the most....

Trequarista10

Anyone watch this last night? Very disappointed there wasn't much new info in it to be honest
I watched it. Never saw the Netflix series so it was all new info for me, and I'm satisfied that I now never need to watch the Netflix series.
What did he miss originally with this one? He can't have known the guy would later try to get that woman killed.

cyberman

I watched it. Never saw the Netflix series so it was all new info for me, and I'm satisfied that I now never need to watch the Netflix series.

What did he miss originally with this one? He can't have known the guy would later try to get that woman killed.
If i remember, the original documentary had 15 odd minutes of Joe and we saw how much was on the cutting room floor with yesterday's retelling. He just missed how weird and interesting the story was.

Oggmonster

Well, from what I can tell, given I didn't grow up with him or well, didn't pay a great deal of attention to him. Unless you're John Lydon....everyone kinda missed it with Saville, despite him being creepy right in front of them, bit mad really, but it's probably been covered enough.

I've kinda lost touch with Theroux though, he's become too mature probably now I think, I don't know. But I also no interest in Tiger King either. I liked his Vegas Gambling and Wrestling ones the most....

His earlier stuff was definitely far better than what he does now, Weird Weekends and When Louis Met... (although when Louis Met probably ages badly as it had 2 episodes with sex offenders involved which isn't great for an investigative journalist.) Some of his one off specials are really good to, I think it did go down hill a few years ago though. His Scientology movie for example was pretty poor and made to look worse by a far better one coming out at the same time. With this Joe Exotic thing it's just not as good as the Netflix documentary. I think the pandemic obviously hasn't helped and obviously with the Joe Exotic stuff most the cast have exclusive agreements with Netflix but it seems he just isn't as quick to the story as he used to be.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
His earlier stuff was definitely far better than what he does now, Weird Weekends and When Louis Met... (although when Louis Met probably ages badly as it had 2 episodes with sex offenders involved which isn't great for an investigative journalist.) Some of his one off specials are really good to, I think it did go down hill a few years ago though. His Scientology movie for example was pretty poor and made to look worse by a far better one coming out at the same time. With this Joe Exotic thing it's just not as good as the Netflix documentary. I think the pandemic obviously hasn't helped and obviously with the Joe Exotic stuff most the cast have exclusive agreements with Netflix but it seems he just isn't as quick to the story as he used to be.
I found his Scientology film to be rather underwhelming unfortunately as it received quite abit of hype before it was released and, as you say, there's far more revealing content out there that delves much deeper into that particular cult.
Louis is still capable of producing good docs such as the work in the US with LA Stories, Dark States and Altered States.
I think he's a better documentarian now outside of the more eccentric characters he used to focus on in his early days.

Last edited:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yeah agreed. The Scientology one felt like he was using that whole weird acting angle because he didn’t have any actual content.

Some of his others recently have just been far too serious subjects, which means the best thing about Theroux is missing - him subtly taking the piss and being a bit weird. Seems a bit self indulgent to ignore why people fell in love with you in the first place.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
It was as interesting of a take I guess they could get when they apparently weren't allowed to speak to anyone involved on camera, which makes you wonder why they even made it other than cashing in on the craze. That said I'd somehow missed than so many people actually bought into him being a victim even though Tiger King was clearly shot to try and make you feel a bit sorry for him. Most interesting bit was hearing his brother talk about him, but that is all one person's word against another.

Classical Mechanic

In what way? The gay meth using redneck is in prison for hiring two hitmen to kill someone. It sensationalises itself :lol:
The documentary significantly played up the evidence of Carol being guilty of killing her husband and significantly tried to play down Joe’s guilt. It allowed the constant misrepresentation of Carol and her sanctuary and tried to portray Joe as an antihero when he was just a pretty awful person.

I got swept up in the narrative but after I looked into it it became obvious that it was the kind of disingenuous sensationalist shite that Hollywood like to call a documentary.

Last edited:

Kag

Yeah agreed. The Scientology one felt like he was using that whole weird acting angle because he didn’t have any actual content.

Some of his others recently have just been far too serious subjects, which means the best thing about Theroux is missing - him subtly taking the piss and being a bit weird. Seems a bit self indulgent to ignore why people fell in love with you in the first place.
I think the issue Theroux has now is that he is too renowned to really bring in the sort of weirdo that once greeted him open-armed. He’s also a lot older, and therefore probably more interested in exploring more serious subjects as a result. His recent (ish) work surrounding anorexia, post-natal depression and alcoholism was fantastic.

He’s phoning it in a bit with this documentary, mind you.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
It's a shame he'd struggle to convince anyone to do When Louis met episodes now. If he was a bit lesser known and could meet Jordan Peterson or something and dig up some dirt, that would be great.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The documentary significantly played up the evidence of Carol being guilty of killing her husband and significantly tried to play down Joe’s guilt. It allowed the constant misrepresentation of Carol and her sanctuary and tried to portray Joe as an antihero when he was just a pretty awful person.

I got swept up in the narrative but after I looked into it it became obvious that it was the kind of disingenuous sensationalist shite that Hollywood like to call a documentary.
There was plenty of fun, barmy, real stuff on show as well though. I think all documentaries phone it in a bit. Jeez, Attenborough’s stuff is terrible for it.

They may have portrayed Carol as worse than she is, yeah. She certainly seemed more normal in Louis’s interview. I think most people figured Joe was a terrible person though.