Louis Van Gaal | 2015-16 Performance Thread

Van Gaal: The verdict

• 1) Sack him now.

• 2) Sack him at the end of the season.

• 3) Let him see out his contract and part ways after that.

• 4) Extend his contract.

• Undecided (between 1 and 2).

• Undecided (between 2 and 3).

• Undecided (between 3 and 4, if things improve before his contract expires, extend).

Results are only viewable after voting.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Last 10 minutes under Fergie Schneiderlin would've been off for Herrera to add drive from midfield. Instead Valencia comes on and does less useful attacking than Darmian.
Because Darmian was on a Yellow and we need him every week. Would have be awful if we got hit on the counter and Darmian tripped someone up and got sent off.

kps88

70% possession, 20 shots, 8 on target (compared to their 0). We battered them and towards the end threw players forward at the risk of being caught on the break. Cowards football....

ArmchairCritic

Lvg plays coward football. He's our equivalent of Rafa
Stop being so dramatic, the first 20 mins was exactly how a United team should play. We created enough today but lack quality in the final third, unfortunately there's not many reasonable transfer targets who would bring what we need (except Pedro unfortunately). The defence looks a lot better and the only criticism I have right now is lack of Herrera.

United22

Stop being so dramatic, the first 20 mins was exactly how a United team should play. We created enough today but lack quality in the final third, unfortunately there's not many reasonable transfer targets who would bring what we need (except Pedro unfortunately). The defence looks a lot better and the only criticism I have right not is lack of Herrera.
20 minutes against a relegation fodder Newcastle is not good enough for Manchester fecking United. Our quality in the final third was absolutely appaling

Leg-End

We simply aren't ruthless enough under him, it's all about the %'s of risk.

LARulz

When he says we played well I get really pissed off. He then just blames it all on luck and that's not right, it's fecking ridiculous

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
If that was your idea of a fantastic performance LVG, please go and take your philosophy to another club.

wr8_utd

:'(
I intensely dislike LvG. The football he plays is every bit as tumescent as the one under Moyes, his subs are baffling and horrendous, his "philosophy" is trash, he constantly plays players out of postions and somehow thinks Herrera doesn't merit a start. I hope we don't give him the entirety of his three year contract. He's going to take this club backwards.

Woodenlung

Needs to give Rooney the shepherds crook if he puts in more performances like that. This will be a big test of his tenure here. Had no problem binning RVP and Falcao and he really should do the same for his captain. There isn't enough attacking drive from his midfield either. Good passers and shielders of the defence, but Herrera needs to be there to link up with the attack. He gives the ball away more, but provides greater attacking thrust.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Some hilariously over the top reactions here.

Only issue I see is Herrera not playing any part.

ArmchairCritic

How is possession play cowardly? Van Gaal doesn't pick the passes for the players either does he? Christ. One draw and everyone loses their shit.

Varun

Staff
He should have brought on Herrera in place of schneiderlin but some absolutely baffling comments on here.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
LvG is too cautious..saw this in all 3 games we have played so far.

Fine if you want to play posession football...but not with the formation he has. Keeping teh ball and doing nothing with it is pointless.
I wonder if you would have been saying this if Rooney's goal stood, along with Mata, Smalling and Chico's chances going in? Granted obviously they didn't go in and we end the game a 0-0, but we had plenty of chances to put this game to bed. If we were being too cautious btw, then we wouldn't have been left 3 vs 1 on the counter attack near the end of the game would we?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I agree with you. You'll play worse than today and win.
And we've done so plenty of times in the past. By a couple of goals, even.

Attack, yes, one can criticize. We clearly lack goals. But it's weird how everything becomes terrible because we draw.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
We weren't too cautious ffs. Bad finishing and good keeping let us down today.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Playing two defensive midfielders against relegation candidates is very dodgy

prath92

Some hilariously over the top reactions here.

Only issue I see is Herrera not playing any part.
Even that isn't necessarily a bad thing mata and Memphis to me were very lively and maybe januzaj could have been benched. But then he did have 2 decent games and deserved his chance.

Mister_Stubbs

Growing up watching us play with width, pace and urgency.. It's really hard for me to accept the way LVG wants us to play football.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
How is possession play cowardly? Van Gaal doesn't pick the passes for the players either does he? Christ. One draw and everyone loses their shit.
It's not just one game though is it? It was the entire last season, but most people thought ok let's see how he redefines the squad in the summer and see what happens. Now he's got a great squad but the football is still oh so cautious. Take the bloody clamps off the players and let them play before it's too late

ArmchairCritic

Growing up watching us play with width, pace and urgency.. It's really hard for me to accept the way LVG wants us to play football.
We haven't really played like to 2007 if we're being honest, this was a classic late Ferguson era game today where we used to nick a goal late on.