Louis Van Gaal appointed Dutch manager for the third time.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Great to hear , hopefully he accompanies them to the world cup as I would love to have him there.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Talk about undermining your manager. Wijnaldum has barely kicked a ball for PSG.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Talk about undermining your manager. Wijnaldum has barely kicked a ball for PSG.
I'd rather they just answered a journo's question honestly than say nothing and fear they might "undermine" the manager.

Wijnaldum is one of two Dutch CL winners. Has almost a 100 caps and a feckton of goals and assists as a midfielder. What are you going to say?

"I think Guus Til is an adequate replacement"? It's not exactly the same competition Seedorf had.

LoneStar

Is it really undermining the manager, or just being straightforward with the answer? Aren’t Dutch people notorious for being honest and direct?

Tbh I prefer these answers from players. Otherwise they‘ll be accused of just being a PR machine. Nothing wrong with saying what you have in mind, even if it rubs some people the wrong way.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
In this case it probably won't matter one bit, since van Gaal's ego protects him against any kind of self doubt or external pressure and he's probably going to retire after the tournament either way. But in most cases statements such as these just create unnecessary media pressure and I don't see how that's ever a good thing.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I would still have Wijnaldum by the squad personally, but I also wouldnt start him.. Apart from how he plays at PSG, he was the worst player on the field during every game he play post European Championship last summer..

Its being suggested as well in some media that Van Gaal was unhappy with the way Wijnaldum dealt with him being benched during the previous international break.. (dont know how much truth there is there though..)

Adisa

I've been saying the same mate, and it was obvious to anyone that had a basic understanding of the remit of a DoF, that this was the case with how the club was structured at first team level.
I'd rather they just answered a journo's question honestly than say nothing and fear they might "undermine" the manager.

Wijnaldum is one of two Dutch CL winners. Has almost a 100 caps and a feckton of goals and assists as a midfielder. What are you going to say?

"I think Guus Til is an adequate replacement"? It's not exactly the same competition Seedorf had.
They have basically called their manager's decision wrong.
They should have told the interviewer it is not their place to answer such questions.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

If they answered honestly they would have said that he was poor this season and doesn't deserve to be included, they could maybe add that they hope he regains form and joins them next season.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
If they answered honestly they would have said that he was poor this season and doesn't deserve to be included, they could maybe add that they hope he regains form and joins them next season.
Which only makes sense if you have the depth of the French squad.

I'd select Wijnaldum ahead of Guus Til (basically a championship player) any day of the week.

They have basically called their manager's decision wrong.
They should have told the interviewer it is not their place to answer such questions.
It's acceptable in Holland to disagree with your boss. It's viewed as honest rather than insubordinate.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Which only makes sense if you have the depth of the French squad.

I'd select Wijnaldum ahead of Guus Til (basically a championship player) any day of the week.
I'm not joking, Wijnaldum would be happy if he played as well as a championship player. This season there is no argument in his favor.

Skills

Snitch
The journalist should follow up by asking who shouldn't be in the squad in Wijnaldum's place

fps

Memphis Depay playing Billy Big Balls. Pipe down son. You're not that good.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I would still have Wijnaldum by the squad personally, but I also wouldnt start him.. Apart from how he plays at PSG, he was the worst player on the field during every game he play post European Championship last summer..

Its being suggested as well in some media that Van Gaal was unhappy with the way Wijnaldum dealt with him being benched during the previous international break.. (dont know how much truth there is there though..)
Yeah, I've also seen it suggested that this is supposed to be a wake-up call for Wijnaldum. 'Better get your act together if you want to join us in Qatar.'
Memphis Depay playing Billy Big Balls. Pipe down son. You're not that good.
He's answering a question. Christ.

(Also, he's hugely important for the Dutch national team right now.)

Adisa

Will forever maintain we should have kept him on for the final year.

Irwin99

Are the Dutch a dark horse for the world cup win? Do they play 4-3-3 nowadays or a 3-5-2?

mu4c_20le

He wasn't. He probably was our best manager who actually had a plan on how to take us forward. There were visible improvements in many areas.
This. Going from him to Jose was probably the second worst decision Woody has ever made.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Are the Dutch a dark horse for the world cup win? Do they play 4-3-3 nowadays or a 3-5-2?
3-5-2.
We're a well drilled/coach team, but we have only 1 great midfielder (FDJ) and none of the world class forwards we were always known for.

Definitely not. Belgium were really shit. We were expecting prime Jean Claude van Damme and we got a low budget French film he starred in to finance his addiction rather than Kickboxer or Bloodsport.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How do you keep a guy in charge who had a team fail to have a shot against Cambridge? The crowd sarcastically applauded when we tested the goalkeeper!

I like him but his football was appalling.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He was the only manager who genuinely tried to fix our midfield.

But for some miracle (in a bad way) all three of Herrera, Schneiderlin and even Bastian Fecking Tenisteiger all had their problems at United despite being very good players before. Herrera failed to impress, Scheiderlin looked out of place and Bastian became a **** for a tennis girl. Di Maria was another case, he also could play as a midfielder but he got robbed. Also no idea why he didnt keep Blind in midfield. We had very good midfielders back then on paper.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I’m not sure how anybody could see improvements when anyone watching was surely asleep
Well, I was really enjoying when my team was getting thumped by City, Liverpool or other average European teams under other managers.

Paul_Scholes18

He was the only manager who genuinely tried to fix our midfield.

But for some miracle (in a bad way) all three of Herrera, Schneiderlin and even Bastian Fecking Tenisteiger all had their problems at United despite being very good players before. Herrera failed to impress, Scheiderlin looked out of place and Bastian became a **** for a tennis girl. Di Maria was another case, he also could play as a midfielder but he got robbed. Also no idea why he didnt keep Blind in midfield. We had very good midfielders back then on paper.
Actually Herrera did well, but LVG did not like him so benched him far too often.

Carrick and Herrera our only mids that created something.

Bastian was a short term signing that failed. LVG should have known he was past it.

Morgan was the right idea, but no idea why he declined so much. He was poor in possession which I think LVG should have seen.

Blind much better in defensive areas and that was one of his good judgement to play Blind as a defender. Mourinho should have kept him though.

Last edited:

Irwin99

3-5-2.
We're a well drilled/coach team, but we have only 1 great midfielder (FDJ) and none of the world class forwards we were always known for.

Definitely not. Belgium were really shit. We were expecting prime Jean Claude van Damme and we got a low budget French film he starred in to finance his addiction rather than Kickboxer or Bloodsport.
Belgium always seem to flatter to deceive I think

You could go far though, at least that's what i get looking at both your player names and manager. VVD, FDJ, De Ligt, Timber ...very decent players. The team that got third in the World Cup 8 years back was pretty ordinary but very well disciplined under LVG. I also remember Ron Vlarr morphing into prime Jaap Stam for that tournament :lol:

BorisManUtd

Yeah but he didn't have vibes
He finished 5th in a season where Leicester City won the league with 81 points and basically all of our rivals were in some kind of a transition. Ole finished 3rd and 2nd in a different Premier League with Pep and Klopp in charge at City/Liverpool. I don't think Ole was right appointment but van Gaal's 2nd season was poor and disappointing after that 1st season which was promising at times.