Louis Van Gaal appointed Dutch manager for the third time.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Still good value in his press conferences at least.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Was infuriating watching his Dutch side playing some really good stuff tonight, I liked Louis and he will always be top value in his pressers, he also happens to be 100% correct as well.

Dr. StrangeHate

Always liked LVG. I can't find it but there is a video of him celebrating 10 year olds winning. He is passionate about the game. This isn't just a job for him.

Dr. StrangeHate

He’s probably the clearest thinker we have had post Fergie. Didn’t work but was clear in his vision.
Bland as his style was, you could identify LVG's Manchester United straight away. I honestly couldn't tell you the difference between Moyes, Ole, and Jose's Manchester United if you blur out the players.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Was infuriating watching his Dutch side playing some really good stuff tonight, I liked Louis and he will always be top value in his pressers, he also happens to be 100% correct as well.
The biggest problem with Van Gaal wasn't so much the style or his coaching, it was his inability to work at club level with top level players and needing to work with probably a lower tier of players with specific attitudes, meaning his style couldn't reach the required level.

ReallyUSA

If he only had like 20 percent more attacking and more competent board. What could've been.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
To be fair you have to be a special kind of stupid for believing the reason why Qatar was chosen is to develop their football. It just doesn't make sense at all.

Devil’s Trident

Always liked him. But never felt so bored, hopeless , watching united under him. Not saying united shouldn’t have sacked him but in hindsight would you keep him on if you know how the next 6 years would turn out ? I never thought he is finished or outdated, just felt we needed some more overhaul in the team for his system to work. Because we could see in some matches it was awesome when it did work. Beating Liverpool was glorious the way we did, completely dominated them from start to finish, never saw united like that at Anfield.

Also, how different Ten hag’s football is from Van gaal’s ? What if we see the same with ten hag what we saw with Van Gaal for few years ? Would people swallow it or want him out asap ? When I see people wanting ETH so badly , it makes me question how can they want Dutch/Ajax way of playing football now when they hated LVG ? Not saying it would be exactly similar but you get the point.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
No tweet from his best comment where he said it was completely unprecedented for the NT manager to talk so much to his players, after having scheduled 7 player conversations on one day, and 6 on the next. :lol:

The biggest problem with Van Gaal wasn't so much the style or his coaching, it was his inability to work at club level with top level players and needing to work with probably a lower tier of players with specific attitudes, meaning his style couldn't reach the required level.
This is just nonsense, he's worked with far better players at Ajax, Barca and Holland than he had at United.
Did we even have one player that would get into the Ajax 95 side?

He failed, because he kept some shite, signed shite and the academy was shite. He needed structure at the club like he has had for most of coaching career. Even then, I'm doubtful he would've been able to compete with Pep or Klopp, but I don't think he'd have struggled for top 4 the way he did.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
LVG is one of the brightest minds in football. He is also one of the most arrogant ones. His arrogance was the main reason he failed at United. His methods and philosophy are not outdated at all but reguire a lot of adaptabiliity. Adaptability to the structure of the club, to the quality of your players, to the level of the opposition etc. He has shown none of this during his time at United.

Lee565

Put him in Chelsea's set up and he would likely have success because they have/had a structure in place. If we had a real intelligent sporting director with a clear vision at our club before van gaal joined he probably would have had more success at our club, the problem was the glazers expected van gaal to solve all their problems on their own whilst being handicapped by a completely inept moron in woodward when it came to football matters, hell it was van gaal that was having to try and organise new training ground facilities and youth level set up in terms of style/philosophy instead of the club actually taking responsibility of evolving the football development of the club

UncleBob

Put him in Chelsea's set up and he would likely have success because they have/had a structure in place. If we had a real intelligent sporting director with a clear vision at our club before van gaal joined he probably would have had more success at our club, the problem was the glazers expected van gaal to solve all their problems on their own whilst being handicapped by a completely inept moron in woodward when it came to football matters, hell it was van gaal that was having to try and organise new training ground facilities and youth level set up in terms of style/philosophy instead of the club actually taking responsibility of evolving the football development of the club
How was he handicapped by Woodward?

The main problem, for a long long time, has been that the club has given too much power to managers.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I think the notion that Van Gaal wants to play bland possession football is not entirely accurate. He wants to play dunamic possession football, but you need very specific players for that, which he didnt at United. He's then too stubborn to adapt which resulted in the crap we saw his United play.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He’s funny as feck and I like him as a person but I’ve never been so bored watching united as when he was manager. I actually fell asleep at a home game - that’s never happened before or since.

Absolute legend of the game. Brilliant that he’s going to be at the World Cup.

What a guy for speaking out against Qatar and FIFA too :)

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
He is obviously insane but i will be forever thankful that he laid the groundwork for Bayern’s success and thereby enabled Pep coming here.

InfiniteBoredom

I will forever insist. The dumbest thing we did was sack him two years into a 3 year plan. Just as it started bearing fruit with trophies. We were installing an actual style of play
There were signs that we were improving by the time he left but there was still the elephant in the room that his signings were by and large shite and he was given a lot of autonomy with them.

Had we have a proper DoF/recruitment chief to complement him, instead of a weird combination of marquee PR signings + his eclectic choices, it could’ve worked. Oh, and never forget Giggs preening in the background waiting to take over as well.

The truth is we shot ourselves in the foot with the lack of proper structure and conflicting interests inside the club, and that no single manager not named Alex Ferguson could’ve operated effectively in that environment.

SATA

Most of his signings here have been dross, apart from Daley Blind probably. Colossal waste of money all around from his management time here

Dolf

Brilliant manager. We can’t even win the FA cup anymore yet we fired him right after winning one.

redshaw

It's a lesson which we might need to look back on if ETH comes in. Without a structure ETH might fail as well.

While LVG was poor in some aspects, he rightly pointed out how the club was lacking in everything, he couldn't believe how much Fergie did. It was noted by LVG he had to quickly come up with targets and sadly did a bad job trying to do it all quickly. There is also the rat race top 4 or bust. I do worry for ETH, he's my choice but we need big changes to carry out a new football philosophy and stick with it even if we come 6th or 8th. We need to correct our course and not force managers into risk averse football securing top 4 by hook or crook and more importantly be able to look for and assess player types so the coach can work with them. We could've helped LVG with better recruitment. Look at the fullbacks at Chelsea, Pool or City, we don't help ourselves. Our recruitment is an utter shambles, the other clubs have a better setup and generally select better players to bounce back whatever the manager.

ETH could even say thanks but no thanks after talking. He could slot straight in elsewhere.

Last edited:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Brilliant manager. We can’t even win the FA cup anymore yet we fired him right after winning one.
The December of his final season was downright depressing, I’m surprised he even made it past that. It was a nice consolation for him to go out with a trophy though. Jose came in and won the UEFA cup and league cup the next season, which wasn’t a bad return for making that change.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
While he's great value, I think people are forgetting the football served up was criminal. Our FA Cup win was a struggle against a poor Palace side, our win coming courtesy of a world class finish out of nowhere from a young player.

I think the idea of him and his football is better than the actual reality.

That being said his Dutch side looked good yesterday

Cloud7

Vangle is still brilliant to listen to :lol: It didn’t work out here and there were no signs that we would have gotten it right had we stuck with him, but he’s still been the most likable United manager we’ve had in the post United era (Him as a person not his football)

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Always liked him. But never felt so bored, hopeless , watching united under him. Not saying united shouldn’t have sacked him but in hindsight would you keep him on if you know how the next 6 years would turn out ? I never thought he is finished or outdated, just felt we needed some more overhaul in the team for his system to work. Because we could see in some matches it was awesome when it did work. Beating Liverpool was glorious the way we did, completely dominated them from start to finish, never saw united like that at Anfield.

Also, how different Ten hag’s football is from Van gaal’s ? What if we see the same with ten hag what we saw with Van Gaal for few years ? Would people swallow it or want him out asap ? When I see people wanting ETH so badly , it makes me question how can they want Dutch/Ajax way of playing football now when they hated LVG ? Not saying it would be exactly similar but you get the point.
That’s a good point, LVG was trying to implement a possession based style, it was always going to take time because we’ve never played a possession game before, it may be the same with ten Hag, hopefully not as boring though. I think LVG needed the right players to make it work, we looked very slow under him whereas his Holland team play quick attacking football whilst also having all the possession.

led_scholes

Van Gaal has consistently said he didn’t get the signings he wanted

https://thefootballfaithful.com/van-gaal-i-didnt-get-the-players-i-wanted-at-man-utd/

Blame the club for getting him his 8th choice signings. The issue is clearly with the club as they don’t make any good signings even before or after Van Gaal.
Wasn't Di Maria his 1st choice? Or schweinsteiger? Or Depay? Or even Rojo? Didn't Kroos said LVG canceled his transfer? Yeah we failed with getting Ramos, Muller (two non-sellable players) and Neymar, but this doesn't excuse that he wouldnt see that Rooney was a championship player. And do we honestly believe that LVG and neymar would get along?

He is/was a good manager. But he lost the league to Leicester, while we were first in November, was outclassed by Klopp in Europa League (who was just few months in his job), and he couldn't finish top 4.

SER19

van Gaal lifting the world cup in qatar would be beautiful.