Louis Van Gaal appointed Dutch manager for the third time.

CG1010

Be interesting what he does with depay. Van Gaal has his system and off the cuff mavericks / flair players (di maria, rivaldo etc) need not apply.

Interesting to see how far Holland go in next years world cup.
On the contrary his system depends on such players. He needs 2-3 players with complete freedom to take risk and "hope" that they can create something out of nothing to score. While all other players are to follow a system and dominate possession for defensive purposes.

wise_old_man

Perfect players for his preferred 433. Much better players than his earlier stint. Think he will do very well.
No Robben, Van Persie or Sneijder. How can this batch of players be better than their previous golden generation?

As for Van Gaal, I didn't like the brand of football he displayed here but I liked him as a manager. A Manchester United manager should have that bullish side to him, a nice contrary to Moyes right before him. I know I'll be cheering for him at the next World Cup instead of Southgate.

Real Name

There aren't too many good Dutch coaches under 70 around right now. Koeman, Ten Hag and Bosz have the highest profile, but Koeman just left for Barcelona, Ten Hag just renewed with Ajax and Bosz just joined Lyon. I am anyway not sure whether Ten Hag and Boss would be good national coaches with their style. There are plenty of coaches in the next tier (like Van Bronckhorst, Cocu, Van Bommel, and so on), but each one would be as much a risk as De Boer was, and that's probably not what the Dutch FA wants right now. So there.
We have a similar problem here in Croatia too. Not so much quality in coaches department at the moment and HNS, Croatian FA is hesitant in appointing a foreign manager, all of our coaches since the independence have been Croatian which isnt a problem until a coaches well goes dry so to say. There are few interesting young coaches in the league right now and saying all that some of those who took the national team were inexperienced at the highest level anyway (Bilić for example).

PeteManic

I genuinely don't remember Van Gaal at United. I saw old photos the other day and didn't recognise them. I must have just wiped that time from my memory.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
It's rather funny that boring possession football is being mentioned here whilst that wasnt his style at all for his last stint at Oranje. He has a better team now bar Robben and van Persie, interesting to see what he'll make of it.

Devil81

Good luck Louis!!

Guy is insanely funny and a decent manager, wasn't the brand of football for United but he won us a trophy in a period of struggle. I will always respect him for that.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Uh you need to meet the FAI.

Who would you like to have taken charge?
Bosz, van Bronckhorst, Fraser, hell I'd even like Van Bommel.

Truth is, there aren't a lot of good options of course, but I really don't like Van Gaal. He's football's Donald Trump. A narcissistic arseclown who admittedly achieved great things in his career, but just doesn't fit the current generation of players anymore.

Good to see him back in management. He knows what he's doing and even though he didn't work out here, he's the best we've had post Fergie (jury still out on Ole).

Be interesting what he does with depay. Van Gaal has his system and off the cuff mavericks / flair players (di maria, rivaldo etc) need not apply.
Well Depay doesn't need to worry then. You can usually see what he's planning to do next from the comfort of your own sofa.

Wilt

Good to hear, the game needs characters ...wish him well.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

Truth is, there aren't a lot of good options of course, but I really don't like Van Gaal. He's football's Donald Trump. A narcissistic arseclown who admittedly achieved great things in his career, but just doesn't fit the current generation of players anymore.
Donald Trump never achieved anything so poor comparisom

Cloud7

Beenhacker will be dusting the cobwebs off getting ready for his next crack at the job, Guus Hiddink waiting impatiently behind him.
Beenhacker was the manager who got my National team to our only ever World Cup, so yeah he is a miracle worker and I’ll always have a special place in my heart for him <3

Cloud7

Ahh the Gaal. While I didn’t like him at United, I really like him as a manager overall. Glad to see him back in football and I hope he does well.

PieCrust

He's such a great personality and provides endless entertainment when he's managing clubs not named Manchester United.

Wish him all the best. I still remember being so excited after RVP scored that flying Dutchmen header at the 2014 world cup, then running over to high-five LVG. Thought United were back on tap for special things.

el3mel

Netherlands feel like they go through the same cycle of managers over and over again. They really don't have any new names, do they ?

Acole9

Outstanding
Always thought the United job wouldn't be his last in football. Good luck to him.

el3mel

On the contrary his system depends on such players. He needs 2-3 players with complete freedom to take risk and "hope" that they can create something out of nothing to score. While all other players are to follow a system and dominate possession for defensive purposes.
Yes. His Netherlands team also played shit football in 2014 World Cup post the group stage and was overly reliant on individual brilliance up top. The game against Argentine in semi final this year was one of the worst games in this tournament back then. Simply unwatchable. It was weird because they played decent football in the group and had some big wins, but once they got to KO it was super defensive.

Shit football works better on international stage though. Fans also have tendency to endure it because it's for few games.

Dr. StrangeHate

He is probably the best international manager now. Only Mancini is close but I think LVG edges it.

lex talionis

A strange appointment IMO, but Louis should be able to ensure that the Netherlands qualify and get through the group stage.

Ace

I genuinely don't remember Van Gaal at United. I saw old photos the other day and didn't recognise them. I must have just wiped that time from my memory.
You’re very fortunate. Just seeing his name brings me back to the darkest period for United in my lifetime. Horrible, horrible coach.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Remember he saying, he was forced to take 532 but fell in love with it. Took the same to United as well.

Read somewhere that he prefers 433.
Translated from a recent Dutch LVG interview. Read it in his voice for a laugh:
I even think 1-5-3-2 is the best system. The longer I've been managing, the more I've learned to love that system. With it, you can attack, defend, press the opponent everywhere and if you execute it properly you can take less risk on the break because you have 3 at the back. I also used to think that 1-4-3-3 was best for creating triangles all over the pitch, but back then I wasn't able to count the blessing of that other system. With 1-5-3-2 there's more balance in the team than with 1-4-3-3. The same is true for 1-3-4-3.
He's updated the philosophy.

@Cloud7 You from Trinidad?

ColvaleGoa

I wonder how a football history rich country like Netherlands can't find a decent Dutch coach that they have to go running back to Van Gaal!

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I wonder how a football history rich country like Netherlands can't find a decent Dutch coach that they have to go running back to Van Gaal!
Have a look around at other countries. A lot of them struggle to attract top coaches.

sp_107

Dont cae to be honest, He wasted 2 years with 180M net spent, We can exclude Luke from the list but he started playing better from last 12 months or so.Had to spend few more windows to clear all his dross.

Probllem is he still thinks he is the best. Egosit who passed his best long time back. Not getting any other role in last 5 years proves that

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
He and Koeman are our only decent managers and for some reason we don't want to appoint a foreigner. It's a sad state of affairs but at least we get some comedy moments with Louis.

How about the Seedorf/Kluivert pair? Not the best managers around for sure, but I think they could work well with the current generation of players, almost similar to Southgate at England.

Plus they have their (admittedly little) share of experience coaching my national side. It wasn't anything near a blistering success but they weren't terrible either. I thought they just weren't the right fit for African football but they might be much better suited to your NT.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Blind sr and Fraser are likely to be his assistants. Fraser will be groomed for the head coach position. Blind will be a yes man and place cones I imagine.

Dont cae to be honest, He wasted 2 years with 180M net spent, We can exclude Luke from the list but he started playing better from last 12 months or so.Had to spend few more windows to clear all his dross.

Probllem is he still thinks he is the best. Egosit who passed his best long time back. Not getting any other role in last 5 years proves that
While it was boring, the results under him were fine given the squad. The real damage done were those 10 odd flops that cost 200M.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
How about the Seedorf/Kluivert pair? Not the best managers around for sure, but I think they could work well with the current generation of players, almost similar to Southgate at England.

Plus they have their (admittedly little) share of experience coaching my national side. It wasn't anything near a blistering success but they weren't terrible either. I thought they just weren't the right fit for African football but they might be much better suited to your NT.
At least we wouldn’t have to suffer in the World Cup with that pair because we wouldn’t even qualify.

Teja

Ok then LVG is second best international coach then, which tells you a lot about international coaching.
Yeah I agree, I've been thinking the same thing during the Euros as well. I think national FAs need to look at some of the younger coaches instead of holding out for has-beens / big club rejects. Flick is a good choice, Potter for England or maybe even Rodgers, Zidane is the obvious one for France etc.

SAFMUTD

Even thinking about it bores the feck out of me, the worse manager I've seen for us. I would take Moyes before him and Im not even joking.

Foxbatt

Yeah I agree, I've been thinking the same thing during the Euros as well. I think national FAs need to look at some of the younger coaches instead of holding out for has-beens / big club rejects. Flick is a good choice, Potter for England or maybe even Rodgers, Zidane is the obvious one for France etc.
It is the money. Clubs pay more for top managers. LVG would be good for The Dutch now. I remember his Ajax days and they played brilliant football. I still feel he would have done a lot better than Moyes if he had taken over from SAF. He would not have sacked the backroom staff. He has won the CL and the Bundesliga and the La Liga. It is not like Moyes who had won nothing.

Karlos PFC

Excellent choices but no up and coming or big name manager would like to take over a national team, most of the NT coaches are has beens and washed up from club football, baring some exceptions of course.

Flick may be a good choice for Germany but first it depends on the current generation of players talent wise and second how he's man managing them and keeping the right balance in the dressing room. When Otto Rehagel came to Greece one of the first things he did was cutting off Georgatos who was maybe the best left back Greece ever saw (playing in Inter with Ronaldo, Zamorano, Vieri and so), or maybe the most talented Greek player of our golden generation, but he was a pain in the ass for the rest of the team.

Last edited:

Lynty

Give us some great memories. Shame non of them was for footballing merit, but still - great character. Should never have been sacked for Jose.