Louis Van Gaal appointed Dutch manager for the third time.

Zen86

How can you blame him if the club didn't provide him the structure you expect? He isn't a transfer expert.

His tactics weren't garbage. How many times have we gone to Etihad or Anfield and dominated them?

We won FA cup , probably the most important trophy post SAF under him.

We got 70 and 66 points under him ( 87 and 81 got you PL that seasons).

Passing around the back and hoping something happens? That's not going to get you anything mate.
His tactics were garbage, the football was garbage. The fact he won the FA Cup and still got the boot says it all. As bad as the football was under Jose, at least it was by design. LVG ball was basically our players passing it aimlessly around the back line now knowing what to do, while LVG bangs on about philosophies in his conferences.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
He’s a BRILLIANT International manager where he can spend time preparing tactically for matches.

This is why he was so excellent in the big games at Utd because he would (in my opinion) spend ages thinking about them and ignore the smaller matches!

International footy suits him so much more. He’s class when he can have the time to obsess over a small group of fixtures.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He’s a BRILLIANT International manager where he can spend time preparing tactically for matches.

This is why he was so excellent in the big games at Utd because he would (in my opinion) spend ages thinking about them and ignore the smaller matches!

International footy suits him so much more. He’s class when he can have the time to obsess over a small group of fixtures.
I think it's because players get sick of his head master style of coaching and his condescending prick tone rather quickly.
It's why he he never lasted long at any club and his coaching is the most effective in the 17-19y old "I will clean your boots to get noticed" demographic. The only reason Rooney didn't shove a boot up his arse is because LVG was desperate to get him back to his best and he effectively gave him carte blanche.

Revaulx

To the contrary. It’s been documented that managers had too much say on transfers, something which started to change after Jose. And for what it’s worth, LVG quite comfortably wins the award for worst transfer record post-SAF. Quite comfortably.
I’d be interested to see how you quantify that.

Do you count Herrera and Shaw as Moyes signings?

Zen86

Schweinsteiger, Schneiderin, Falcao, Di Maria, etc etc. I’m sure you’ll tell me how great these signings actually were though.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

Shaw was by all accounts planned by Moyes. Herrera was in the works before Moyes even joined, and we would've finalized the transfer in Moyes' first window had it not been for the fiasco with the three fake lawyers on deadline day.

stevoc

Let's be honest Van Gaal's signings were 90% shite, took us years to get shifted and probably set the post SAF era back years.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Dark horse for the world cup? Their third place team a few years back was greater than the sum of its parts.
I doubt it. There is not enough quality in the team and there is only so much LVG can do.

Paul_Scholes18

Dark horse for the world cup? Their third place team a few years back was greater than the sum of its parts.
They could win it, but I do not rate the Dutch attack that highly.

They have lots of good central defenders and some decent central midfielders.

Yagami

Good post resistant
It'll be interesting to see who he goes with when all his centre backs are available.

Van Dijk is a given. Aké has been consistent. Then you've got de Vrij, De Ligt and Timber. Blind has made the left his own but he's an option, too.

Selfishly, I'd love to see Timber partner de Jong in midfield. He plays so much like him that I'd just find it interesting to see how he does there.

Needham

LVG was always sound. Lot of douchey types walking back their criticisms because they've discovered he's mortal. For shame...

BorisManUtd

Another person thriving post United
He was out of job for 5 years after getting sacked at United. Did well with Netherlands in 2014 as well so I expect them to have another solid World Cup, but it seems like International football suits him better these days.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
I doubt it. There is not enough quality in the team and there is only so much LVG can do.
They have quality in defense and midfield, attackers is what is lacking for Netherlands.

If they had Robben and Van Persie i would definitely put them ahead of France or Brazil.

Anyways, i think they will do fine , maybe not enough to win the whole thing , but semifinals seems doable.

R'hllor

or maybe he likes/cares for the player and thinks whats best for him.

Cloud7

If Vangle genuinely cares about one of the brightest talents to come out of their country, then you can’t say he is wrong in advising him against coming to United. We have shown over the past few years that we are not a good place for young players to develop right now. That’s not controversial.

We have to hope that ETH can change that perception but as a young player who a lot of clubs would be interested in, I would be surprised if they weren’t skeptical about joining United at this time.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
He said this in general, not only for Timber. The same could be said for Frenkie.

Truth is Timber is not sure of himself and wants the safe option.
This isn’t true. He literally said about timber when asked in a conference if he went to United it would show he isn’t smart before elaborating with “he has to play”.

izec

This isn’t true. He literally said about timber when asked in a conference if he went to United it would show he isn’t smart before elaborating with “he has to play”.
Yes, because he was asked about Timber. He would say the same for Frankie, but Frankie is too good to not play. If Timber would be this good, he would be starting for us all games. But ultimately, he is a young player that would probably rotate his first season here and play a good amount of games at CB and RB, but not have a guaranteed starting place.

If the player feels like this, then best he stays where he is. Van Gaal just said what is obvious, I am picking players that play regularly. If Timber thinks that could be an issue at United, then stay and develop further.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
From Van Gaal's POV Timber staying where he is until after the WC is absolutely better for the national team. And you could make a very strong argument it's better for the player too.

Lookimg out for his and his current team's own interests isn't spite against us. The football world doesn't revolve around us.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Yes, because he was asked about Timber. He would say the same for Frankie, but Frankie is too good to not play. If Timber would be this good, he would be starting for us all games. But ultimately, he is a young player that would probably rotate his first season here and play a good amount of games at CB and RB, but not have a guaranteed starting place.
Right. So he wouldn’t say the exact same thing about De Jong then would he? Because he’s an entirely different player at an entirely different stage of his career. The opinion he expressed was specifically about Timber.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He actually hates us

:lol: that bloke works for the Dutch equivalent of The Sun and has no history of being a reliable journo.

He knows absolutely nothing or you'd have heard this from Verweij who is like their Custis.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

If the player feels like this, then best he stays where he is. Van Gaal just said what is obvious, I am picking players that play regularly. If Timber thinks that could be an issue at United, then stay and develop further.
And also because FDJ is far more established in the national team than Timber who has serious competition for his role.

crossy1686

career ending
Let’s face it, Timber deciding to wait on the United deal says more about United’s current position than it does anything Van Gaal has said.

If he joins us and it all goes to shit in the first 3 months he won’t be going to the World Cup. He’s smart for waiting to see how it pans out.

Wouldn’t be surprised if a less of a basket case club sign him next summer, depending how we fare this season.

Skills

Snitch
Might not be a bad idea to sign Timber in January. Some extra depth and options after the WC could be vital

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Or he’s an international manager who told a player that they have to be playing to go to a World Cup.

Why the feck are people so determined to create a Van Gaal conspiracy
I was half joking but do you think he doesn't hold a grudge against United? He basically advised ten Hag against taking the job in a press conference.

Idxomer

:lol: that bloke works for the Dutch equivalent of The Sun and has no history of being a reliable journo.

He knows absolutely nothing or you'd have heard this from Verweij who is like their Custis.
Seen his name a lot these last couple of months and most of what he says sounds like speculative nonsense to me.