Louis van Gaal | Manchester United manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
He has been unlucky with injuries but I am pleased to see he has been pragmatic and is focusing on getting results rather than just trying to implement the philosophy at all costs which I think he was doing initially. By the end of the season I think he will have adapted and learnt from the league and that will affect how he reshapes the squad along with his philosophy of course.

I am intrigued to see how long he will stick with RVP as it looks like Rooney should be moved up front with either Mata, Herrera or Januzaj coming in or that Wilson should be given a chance (Falcao will hopefully be in the equation soon as well). We still look a long way off being a good side but if he can keep us in the top 4 he will have done a good job and we will have a great foundation to build on.
In terms of his good relations with RVP, the striker can have no complaints when the day comes that he finds himself on the bench in favour of Wilson or Falcao. LVG has certainly given him every opportunity to play into form, and unfortunately it just hasn't happened.

RedorDead21

I dont even know what the philosophy is. I dont know why Falcao is still not playing games when it was "nothing serious". The lack of info is so annoying. People commenting how honest he is in his interviews is laughable. He's honestly telling you nothing at all. Brilliant.

MDFC Manager

Reading UWS this month, stories from the training ground are that everyone is loving it.
Apparently the players are loving the approach to training, the new ways of doing things and the atmosphere.

Might be a load of bollix and they're all secretly planning to break his legs but, gives hope after reading negative stories in fanzines from last year
Interesting. The morale certainly appears to be upbeat, even though our form itself has been patchy. This is certainly a big step forward to fixing us. If and once we hit good form, I can see us being unstoppable*.

*Players need to be put into cryosleep between games

saivet

Reading UWS this month, stories from the training ground are that everyone is loving it.
Apparently the players are loving the approach to training, the new ways of doing things and the atmosphere.

Might be a load of bollix and they're all secretly planning to break his legs but, gives hope after reading negative stories in fanzines from last year
Maybe it's just me but I think his good World Cup has really helped him. During the WC it was nothing but praise for him over here. Had the Dutch been battered in their group (which I was actually expecting) I think the players may have been more sceptical.

It didn't happen so it doesn't really matter but good to hear the players are at least happy with him.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I dont even know what the philosophy is. I dont know why Falcao is still not playing games when it was "nothing serious". The lack of info is so annoying. People commenting how honest he is in his interviews is laughable. He's honestly telling you nothing at all. Brilliant.
Erm he mentioned in his last press conference that Falcao has got a new injury and won't be fit for two weeks.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Sounds like the problem is you, not Van Gaal.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
I'll never forget that free kick, I was at home with my brother, Spiderman was also on tv, I remember Ronaldo doing his free kick walk and I was complaining, why would you try to score from there, my brother said if he scores, we'll watch Spiderman, agreed and eventually Ronaldo forced me to watch Spiderman.

RedorDead21

Why bother to ask things when you have already made assumptions?
His last press conference he said he was out for 2 weeks yet he was training with the first team days later....jesus think for yourself.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
His last press conference he said he was out for 2 weeks yet he was training with the first team days later....jesus think for yourself.
He also said that he likes to see the injured players train 2 weeks with the first team before including them in an official game.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Fair fecks to Van Gaal, I think this was the first game where we saw some evidence of the massive testicles he is fond of showing off. After the unmitigated disaster of the 352 in all of our opening games, it was a seriously ballsy move to give it another go in a game which could have been so pivotal in our season. It almost backfired too. I was getting ready to bump the 352 thread with a load of :mad: smilies, during the first 15-30 minutes. He came seriously close to being hoist by his own petard.

However, our defenders did seem to settle into the formation and - for an hour- it actually worked better than it's worked in any competitive game for us this season. So Van Gaal deserves a lot of credit for his influence on the result. That was a really interesting tactical re-shuffle with exactly the result he wanted. It will probably give the players a lot of faith in his approach too. Which is, in turn, going to make them more confident and better players in the games ahead. This feels like a real turning point. Onwards and upwards from here.

NessunDorma

That was the first performance we've had under LvG that signals a bit of daylight between this season and last. We rode our luck at times, but could've been 0-3 up at one point by playing well on the break. Last season, we'd have been happy just keeping it tight and coming away with a draw (which is what we did). Very promising, especially considering Arsenal hadn't lost at home since the first day of last season.

Blackwidow

Having talks with some players maybe ;);)
For sure. Some of them are "his" players - even Bayern's manager... But like Pep said - some players are simply too expansive for United (or exactly non-tradeable). And I guess it is exactly that players he would like to have... :cool:

SqueakyWeasel

Gotta love those ear pieces that they give (only) to Rooney in the bottom vid. The interview with LvG after that is a blinder tho. He doesn't suffer fools lightly does he? Is that Geoff Shrieves that starts the interview off "Congratulations, first away win, is that a monkey off your back?" They must have a list of sayings and expressions that they're ticking off in a hope to confuse him!

LR7

Gotta love those ear pieces that they give (only) to Rooney in the bottom vid. The interview with LvG after that is a blinder tho. He doesn't suffer fools lightly does he? Is that Geoff Shrieves that starts the interview off "Congratulations, first away win, is that a monkey off your back?" They must have a list of sayings and expressions that they're ticking off in a hope to confuse him!
Said that to my Dad when I saw that interview. Why do people use expressions like that with people who clearly don't have the best command of the English language.

Also, Rooney got those ear pieces as his interview was being conducted from the studio so he needed to hear the questions being asked.

SqueakyWeasel

Said that to my Dad when I saw that interview. Why do people use expressions like that with people who clearly don't have the best command of the English language.

Also, Rooney got those ear pieces as his interview was being conducted from the studio so he needed to hear the questions being asked.
I know, but they just make me chuckle for some reason!

Brightonian

He is right about the confidence on the ball, our players are good technically but they are afraid of the ball, or maybe they are afraid of losing the ball and being blamed for it.
I don't know how you instill confidence or a little bit of cockiness in players.
I don't think that's fair at all, he's simply not playing the ones who are good on the ball. No Herrera, no Mata, no Januzaj. Instead he plays extra, inexperienced CBs, a horribly out-of-form RVP and Fellaini. Obviously he chose that team for a reason, and at the end of the day it worked, but you can hardly expect that line-up to play attractive football.

Get even a team as good as Chelsea to play three at the back, Mikel in midfield instead of Fabregas and recall Torres to play up front, and see how good their football looks! (Harsh on RVP that, obviously, but you see my point.) And obviously the injuries contribute massively to that problem.

I'm pretty sure a side like this would look great on the ball:

DDG
Rafa Smalling Evans Shaw
Blind
Herrera Di Maria
Mata
Rooney Falcao​

Suedesi

So what the attacking was just as bad and has been since the season started.
It's all connected. Defensive fragility and the fact the the defenders could not play the ball forward, instead choosing to give it to DDG, certainly had an effect on our buildu play.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't think that's fair at all, he's simply not playing the ones who are good on the ball. No Herrera, no Mata, no Januzaj. Instead he plays extra, inexperienced CBs, a horribly out-of-form RVP and Fellaini. Obviously he chose that team for a reason, and at the end of the day it worked, but you can hardly expect that line-up to play attractive football.

Get even a team as good as Chelsea to play three at the back, Mikel in midfield instead of Fabregas and recall Torres to play up front, and see how good their football looks! (Harsh on RVP that, obviously, but you see my point.) And obviously the injuries contribute massively to that problem.

I'm pretty sure a side like this would look great on the ball:

DDG
Rafa Smalling Evans Shaw
Blind
Herrera Di Maria
Mata
Rooney Falcao​
Him and I are talking about the players who played saturday, they have no reason to be afraid, they are technically good enough to handle the ball.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
A bit concerning that he had no clue where we was in the table.

When he was told by the reporter he looked shocked, Surely he must have been aware of our league position and possible league positions?

Momochiru

When he was told by the reporter he looked shocked, Surely he must have been aware of our league position and possible league positions?
Why is it concerning? I think it's positive - he is a proper manager who is building a team to win games. When you are winning all your games the table position will sort itself out.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Erm he mentioned in his last press conference that Falcao has got a new injury and won't be fit for two weeks.
Whats the new injury...the same injury no doubt.
Why bother to ask things when you have already made assumptions?
He also said that he likes to see the injured players train 2 weeks with the first team before including them in an official game.
No, he said he'll be back in training on Sunday and he was.
You're having a mare here, mate.
So what the attacking was just as bad and has been since the season started.
I thought we attacked well in the start of the season though we were to open.

Empire

He did not mean confidence to play the attractive football you imply but to just move the ball about without hesitancy and panic, to be function and create chances, something the players played are very capable of doing.

He was especially critical of the first 20 - 25 minutes and let's face it, we don't need the players you mentioned to not play how we did in that part of the game, he said the poor performance in possession is what gifted Arsenal those chances and when we started keeping the ball for the last hour of the game then we created chances.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Doesn't really matter at this point in the season really, not even a 3rd of the way through the season, but of course he knew where we were in the table.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Putting Geoff Shreeves in his place......Top man! Give him an another year just for this

Shreeves: "This win puts you in the top 4..."
LVG: "What, now? Already?
Shreeves: "Yeah...."
LVG: "Ha, fantastic"

Give him two extra years :lol:

Minimalist

Not really. He knows it's tight (have you looked at the table properly?) and a run of performances with positive results is actually more important right now than necessarily being 4th or 1 point behind in 6th.

ricky-romeo

number 3 is achievable now by the look of it.

got to be realistic and chelsea look by far the strongest and consistent team out there. city will probably be there in 2nd place but with arsenal, spurs and liverpool all struggling, we should be taking advantage. soton is still going strong but doubt they can withstand this throughout the whole season. top 6 would be a fantastic season for them.

clear all these injury problems we should be getting 3rd place by the end of this season. we certainly got the players and a manager capable of doing that. would be a decent start of course and we should start thinking about the league tittle again by next season, hopefully.

Loon

:lol:
Whilst it fun to get a little payback on the Arse and the Dippers over their current predicaments, I can't help but think they'll still be tears to come. We have a long way to go to gloatsville.

The one surprise I have is how restrained Van Gaal has been. I expected him to have blown a gasket by now.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Whilst it fun to get a little payback on the Arse and the Dippers over their current predicaments, I can't help but think they'll still be tears to come. We have a long way to go to gloatsville.

The one surprise I have is how restrained Van Gaal has been. I expected him to have blown a gasket by now.
He is very close to blowing his lid over the injuries.

Week after week I can see it's getting on his tits, more and more.

Phil Jones is one injury away from being chased out of Carrington, with his own crutches.

Loon

He is very close to blowing his lid over the injuries.

Week after week I can see it's getting on his tits, more and more.

Phil Jones is one injury away from being chased out of Carrington, with his own crutches.

Status
Not open for further replies.