Television Lovecraft country

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Heck yes, now that was an episode.

That giant baby basketball player ghost was the scariest thing I’ve seen in ages.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
The third episode was better than the second. It seems like they like their episodes to be almost self-contained.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The next one was out early because of the holiday weekend, FYI. Guess it’s a bit late to notify you, but just in case you want to watch now.

Drifter

American
Enjoying this so far. They went Tomb Raider in this episode.

lsd

The Oracle
Just watched the first one so far and it seems to be a very promising show so far . The acting is great and the storyline was excellent throughout the first 50 mins or so and then when the horror came it arrived with a bang.

Was shocking how quickly it turned and good proper old fashioned horror too not this rubbish found footage doors opening and closing garbage you get so much off now

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Thought the newest episode was shite. This has totally failed to live up to the excellent pilot, for me. Absolutely all over the place. I'd say season three (the house one) was the only really good episode, pilot aside. Such a shame as it feels like there's something good there, the actors are great, as is the production values, and I do like the racial themes, I think they're just badly explored. They seem to be trying to cram way too much into every episode.

The stiletto scene was brutal, though. Yikes.

Tarrou

I don't understand what's going on but I really like the characters

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Thought the newest episode was shite. This has totally failed to live up to the excellent pilot, for me. Absolutely all over the place. I'd say season three (the house one) was the only really good episode, pilot aside. Such a shame as it feels like there's something good there, the actors are great, as is the production values, and I do like the racial themes, I think they're just badly explored. They seem to be trying to cram way too much into every episode.

The stiletto scene was brutal, though. Yikes.
It’s dropped off steeply since ep.3, like The Outsider after the second episode.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Oof, I was hoping to start this but based on the feedback on here it doesn't seem worth it...

Bobski

It is a remarkably ambitious show, patchy perhaps but yes for shows that blend genres and take risks rather than churning out formulaic toss.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I just lost appetite for it, even though some scenes were brilliant. It’s too heavy to enjoy lightly and doesn’t have the lore to sink your teeth into, like Raised By Wolves, unless you’re into Lovecraft.

Drifter

American
maybe i wasn't in the right frame of mind to watch episode 7 after a hectic week for me. I enjoyed episode 6, but didn't follow 7 really. Maybe i need a rewatch?
I understand. For some it's not as linear as some shows, but I think that is how Lovecraft books were.

Maagge

I understand. For some it's not as linear as some shows, but I think that is how Lovecraft books were.
Good point as I’m also not too familiar with his books.
Is that a good explanation though? It's not based on Lovecraft books. Although I'm not familiar with the source material either.

Anyway, this newest episode was great, the one before that wasn't though. It's a very inconsistent show in my opinion.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Is that a good explanation though? It's not based on Lovecraft books. Although I'm not familiar with the source material either.

Anyway, this newest episode was great, the one before that wasn't though. It's a very inconsistent show in my opinion.
Agreed with your take, Maagge - but yeah, i don't know much, if anything about Lovecrafts books. I just find the show inconsistent and at times, confusing/all over the place.

El B

Good point as I’m also not too familiar with his books.
Based solely on what I've seen it's got next to nothing to do with Lovecraft's stories. Outside of some place names and the shoggoths in the first episode everything else is based on the novel 'Lovecraft Country'. I haven't read that and honestly, going by the episodes I've seen I've no interest.

It's complete crap. I got 5 episodes in before dropping it. The plot is a mess. The tone is a mess. The pacing is a mess. It's part Scrooby Doo, part exploration of 50's Jim Crow USA.

Saw a review call it 'black Supernatural'. Sounds about right.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Based solely on what I've seen it's got next to nothing to do with Lovecraft's stories. Outside of some place names and the shoggoths in the first episode everything else is based on the novel 'Lovecraft Country'. I haven't read that and honestly, going by the episodes I've seen I've no interest.

It's complete crap. I got 5 episodes in before dropping it. The plot is a mess. The tone is a mess. The pacing is a mess. It's part Scrooby Doo, part exploration of 50's Jim Crow USA.

Saw a review call it 'black Supernatural'. Sounds about right.
Being harsh on Supernatural there :lol:

At least they didn't pretend to be anything other than a comedy/horror fun-filler!

Maagge

Being harsh on Supernatural there :lol:

At least they didn't pretend to be anything other than a comedy/horror fun-filler!
That's the thing though with this show it can't decide on what it want to be. If it had just been a bit of Harry Potter mixed with National Treasure then it would have been fine as, say, a Stranger Things level of entertainment. But it keeps moving between this very serious Jim Crow-era stuff, issues surrounding sexuality etc, but then the next minute it's clumsily ended up as a Rick & Morty idea that stayed on the storyboard.
I don't know if any of the above makes sense but I guess that's fitting in a way as well.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
That's the thing though with this show it can't decide on what it want to be. If it had just been a bit of Harry Potter mixed with National Treasure then it would have been fine as, say, a Stranger Things level of entertainment. But it keeps moving between this very serious Jim Crow-era stuff, issues surrounding sexuality etc, but then the next minute it's clumsily ended up as a Rick & Morty idea that stayed on the storyboard.
I don't know if any of the above makes sense but I guess that's fitting in a way as well.
:lol: yeah it sort of makes sense, in a very LC kind of way!

But agreed - the show is all over the place. I've continued watching just in the hope that it would pick up some consistency. But it's only 10 episodes anyway. So hopefully the ending makes sense :lol:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
No, you’re articulating my criticism of the show in a more sensible way than I could.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Cancelled. Shame, as it had potential, but it never quite reached HBO's usual heights.