"Lower quality foreign players" transfers will be blocked

Every time such kind of system will not be implemented in the end.
the difference was that previously, any system has to correspond to the EUs freedom of movement. That’s not going to the case now.

I fully expect this is posturing, and a fight back against project Big Picture or whatever they called it.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
No Evra, Vidic or Ronaldo in the future then
Why would that be the case? Evra had seemingly played at least 5 times for France before his move, Vidic in double figures. Ronaldo would have been the one of those 3 that hadn't made a senior international appearance yet but, as always, I'm sure there would be exceptions.

For instance, we bought Foyth 3 years ago after he had a grand total of 9 senior appearances in Argentina and 0 with the senior national team.

I personally don't see a need to change the current system but I think people need to move a little beyond the hyperbole and Brexit rhetoric and actually read the article in question, where he mentions the ability (in theory) to get more African and South American players for instance.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Great job on Brexit. See what you can accomplish when the angry low income mob gets to vote AND blame foreigners for their misery. A+ humanity ❤

Machine Elements

Junior Harry Maguires are rubbing their hands :lol:

What a fecking joke this is. All the money in the world for English clubs but "you can only spend your money on our boys!" :lol:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Why would that be the case? Evra had seemingly played at least 5 times for France before his move, Vidic in double figures. Ronaldo would have been the one of those 3 that hadn't made a senior international appearance yet but, as always, I'm sure there would be exceptions.

For instance, we bought Foyth 3 years ago after he had a grand total of 9 senior appearances in Argentina and 0 with the senior national team.

I personally don't see a need to change the current system but I think people need to move a little beyond the hyperbole and Brexit rhetoric and actually read the article in question, where he mentions the ability (in theory) to get more African and South American players for instance.
Foythe is of Polish stock and came on a Polish passport

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Foythe is of Polish stock and came on a Polish passport
Well that's me told! Clearly I need to be paying more attention to our own transfers, I had no idea he was of Polish origin.

The Brazilian FB twins a better example then?

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Staff
Well that's me told! Clearly I need to be paying more attention to our own transfers, I had no idea he was of Polish origin.
Like you said yourself he only played a handful of games in Argentina so under the rules he wouldn’t have qualified as a non-eu player

Withnail

My understanding is that the rules have to change because of Brexit. The current system cannot continue.

It's already difficult for PL to get a work permits etc for young talented SA players, for example. This will extend that difficult to all EU players.

I can only see this as a bad thing. If the PL clubs can only sign established international players it will hurt the league imo.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
My understanding is that the rules have to change because of Brexit. The current system cannot continue.

It's already difficult for PL to get a work permits etc for young talented SA players, for example. This will extend that difficult to all EU players.

I can only see this as a bad thing. If the PL clubs can only sign established international players it will hurt the league imo.
Exactly. The big clubs will be the only ones able to afford the best players it will dilute the quality lower down the PL even more. Also it might drive fees up even more as clubs abroad will know the market here is smaller so will try to get as much as they can.

Classical Mechanic

Players need three things to make it ie talent, attitude and the right coaches/infrastructure around him. Remove one of that and he'll probably won't make it. Kids playing in smaller European Leagues need to leave the country to develop. I know the people who coached Pieta when young Bojinov stepped in and that's the advice they gave him from day 1. Pieta simply lacked the infrastructure, the facilities and the quality coaches needed to develop a boy to the levels he deserved to be playing in. Later on he thanked the club for sending him to Lecce which kickstarted a fantastic career for him.

Regarding local talent kids need competition to improve. It pushes them to the limit and it drives them to give their all. Not to forget that clubs invest heavily in youth academies because they make sense from a financial perspective. Kids who do not make it are sold for a profit which in turn justify the academy's demands to invest in cutting edge technology, facilities and coaches. The moment these clubs can't produce kids which are good enough to at least be sold for a clean profit then they will scale back.

This new system puts nationality ahead of talent. Its not good for football, its not good for clubs and ultimately it will hurt local talent as well.
I’m very sceptical that what you say is true. Looking at Lyon’s, PSG and Rennes youth squads and they have very few non-French players, far less than the 30% of foreign players in English youth squads. I’d imagine this is repeated throughout the French league yet they produce the best talent in world football through their system currently. Real Madrid won the UEFA Youth League last year with zero non-Spanish players in their match day squad. Out of the 75 players they have in their 3 academy teams only 5 are non-Spanish.

I think that what you need is a large talent pool through population, the right infrastructure and the right coaching. Then opportunity is the key factor in developing players. I think this is a great advantage that the French have. The French league is the perfect level to blood talented young players.

The problem with bringing foreign youth players into academies is that the enticement is almost always financial. This means the investment by clubs is higher in foreign players so the pressure for coaches to play and develop them is greater. This could mean that homegrown talent that is just as good or better gets frozen out. It’s certainly something that homegrown players have complained about at City with their endless churn of youth players.

This is all sorts of bullshit.

Didier Drogba had a worse record than Andrei Shevchenko prior to both of them joining Chelsea.

Who's the Chelsea legend now?
There would be no barrier to a Drogba signing for an English side under the new rules.

The likes of Kante and martial would not be signed under the new rules. But it’s gonna hurt smaller clubs even more who go for cheaper punts
Pretty sure that Martial would qualify on transfer fee and wages.

golden_blunder

Staff
I’m very sceptical that what you say is true. Looking at Lyon’s, PSG and Rennes youth squads and they have very few non-French players, far less than the 30% of foreign players in English youth squads. I’d imagine this is repeated throughout the French league yet they produce the best talent in world football through their system currently. Real Madrid won the UEFA Youth League last year with zero non-Spanish players in their match day squad. Out of the 75 players they have in their 3 academy teams only 5 are non-Spanish.

I think that what you need is a large talent pool through population, the right infrastructure and the right coaching. Then opportunity is the key factor in developing players. I think this is a great advantage that the French have. The French league is the perfect level to blood talented young players.

The problem with bringing foreign youth players into academies is that the enticement is almost always financial. This means the investment by clubs is higher in foreign players so the pressure for coaches to play and develop them is greater. This could mean that homegrown talent that is just as good or better gets frozen out. It’s certainly something that homegrown players have complained about at City with their endless churn of youth players.

There would be no barrier to a Drogba signing for an English side under the new rules.

Fair point on martial though I’m not sure that the way to go either, surely that’s just going to inflate the costs?

re Lyon, Madrid etc. Pretty sure they are not hampered further by the can only sign local young ins within 30m of your club (or whatever it is, can’t remember for sure). Actually does that still exist? Not sure

Classical Mechanic

No Evra, Vidic or Ronaldo in the future then
I think you’re wrong on all counts here. Consider wage and transfer fee inflation and they all qualify wouldn’t they?

Vidic would qualify 100% I think because he was a full international when we signed him. Ronaldo would be at least a £40m transfer today.

golden_blunder

Staff
@Classical Mechanic just thinking about it, using the transfer fee & salary, isn’t that just going to cause European clubs now to super-inflate the transfer fees because they know the British clubs will no longer be able to compete for players normally? A player who might cost 5-10m now will suddenly be available for 30m

Hulme91

From reading the posts in here it seems most have just read the headline and jumped into a seething rage regarding Britain/brexit/whatever
Intriguing

Himannv

Obviously there would be exceptional players who would be allowed to get a permit. Seems the pc squad are out in force here, trying to make a race issue. There’s already numerous rules and regulations that clubs get around regardless. A special talent will still get into the premier league, it’s always been that way, but now they’re just making it an equal playing field for EU and none EU players, as it won’t be restricting their rights Under EU laws.
Why is it a race issue? It's a picking up underrated gems issue. If they play for their international teams they are eligible, so they can be any race. The issue is that those who don't play at that level for whatever reason cannot be invested in, and that to me is not a race issue, it's a football issue that restricts the PL clubs unnecessarily.

Classical Mechanic

@Classical Mechanic just thinking about it, using the transfer fee & salary, isn’t that just going to cause European clubs now to super-inflate the transfer fees because they know the British clubs will no longer be able to compete for players normally? A player who might cost 5-10m now will suddenly be available for 30m
We‘d have to pay more for unproven talent. That said, we’re already doing that really, look at the costs for Diallo and Hannibal already. It would mean that a bargain like Kante would cost more and it would be the end of teams nabbing a Fàbregas or a Pogba. The truth is that players that come through this route rarely make the top level anyway. Even in the case of Pogba he used the system to leave and we paid £89m for him in the end. Players that contribute as much as Febregas did to Arsenal are very rare.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

The Brazilian FB twins a better example then?
Junior Hoilett is a good example. About 30 appearances in the German second division was grounds for him to appeal and get a work permit.

Deandre Yedlin another example of a successful appeal.

Joao Pedro too. Basically the list goes on and on.

Last edited:

Ekeke

I guess we can sell any academy player who doesnt make it in our first team squad for £20 million then since clubs cant get cheap alternatives

golden_blunder

Staff
We‘d have to pay more for unproven talent. That said, we’re already doing that really, look at the costs for Diallo and Hannibal already. It would mean that a bargain like Kante would cost more and it would be the end of teams nabbing a Fàbregas or a Pogba. The truth is that players that come through this route rarely make the top level anyway. Even in the case of Pogba he used the system to leave and we paid £89m for him in the end. Players that contribute as much as Febregas did to Arsenal are very rare.
It will have more impact on smaller clubs I think bad United etc can afford inflated fees (though this new stubborn United may walk away from those deals)

golden_blunder

Staff
At the end of the day it is what it is. We knew brexit would trigger a change in eu player rules and a general tightening up of immigration rules for players in line with other industries.
Do I agree with it? No
Can we do anything about it? No
Time will tell whether it has a positive or negative impact on our beloved football

Classical Mechanic

It will have more impact on smaller clubs I think bad United etc can afford inflated fees (though this new stubborn United may walk away from those deals)
I don’t know GB, they tend to feed on scraps anyway. Smaller PL academies aren’t exactly filled with top foreign talent.They can’t invest £9m in a Hannibal. The only clubs that really benefit from this system at youth level are City and Chelsea are far as I can see but they exploit it for profit motive.

In term of buying guys like Trossard, for example, I think what you’ll see is a lot more African players in the league as routes to international football are generally easier in African countries than they are for guys like Trossard in Europe.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
A fecking "points-based system". Couldn't make it through the article with that sort of silly racist dog whistle shit right at the top. No doubt when we can't sign young foreign players for the academy we'll be told it's actually an "Australia-style deal" we've got in place with them.

Mark Pawelek

A fecking "points-based system". Couldn't make it through the article with that sort of silly racist dog whistle shit right at the top. No doubt when we can't sign young foreign players for the academy we'll be told it's actually an "Australia-style deal" we've got in place with them.
we want to increase the access you have to non-European talent

How is signing more African talent and less European talent racist?

TwoSheds

we want to increase the access you have to non-European talent

How is signing more African talent and less European talent racist?
Because that's what all our racist Home Secretaries say as they gleefully punish foreigners for having the temerity to want to come and work in "Great" Britain. And then they start crying about lefty lawyers and people who tell them shooting asylum seekers is illegal.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

How many European trophies had lyon and Rennes won in recent years? The French league is 1 horse race were only PSG has the money to have a shot for anything. The EPL is different.

Mark Pawelek

Because that's what all our racist Home Secretaries say as they gleefully punish foreigners for having the temerity to want to come and work in "Great" Britain. And then they start crying about lefty lawyers and people who tell them shooting asylum seekers is illegal.
This is an FA initiative. FA don't shoot asylum seekers. Nor do the Home Office. I don't think it's possible to have a discussion about this with you when you overload your arguments with insults and emotion.

Okey

This is no biggie. Its just similar rules as now but being applied to EU players equally as the rest of the world.
Did it really make sense before?
A south American gets a Spanish passport and then exempted from the “ability” rules here?
All foreign nationals will be treated equally now and the debate is how low the bar should be - anyone who has played at international level for example
This. That's all it is really. Nothing revolutionary.

TwoSheds

This is an FA initiative. FA don't shoot asylum seekers. Nor do the Home Office. I don't think it's possible to have a discussion about this with you when you overload your arguments with insults and emotion.
It's probably not possible to have this discussion because you don't understand British politics tbf. Put it this way, if we really do get "increased access" to non-EU youngsters, I will be 100% shocked if it doesn't somehow end in a child trafficking scandal related to somebody FA and/or government affiliated.

Classical Mechanic

How many European trophies had lyon and Rennes won in recent years? The French league is 1 horse race were only PSG has the money to have a shot for anything. The EPL is different.
I was referring to the development of young players in academies. I can’t see any evidence that the current system with 30% of the players being foreign has any benefit to homegrown players. The example of France certainly suggests that your assertion is incorrect given that they produce so much talent with far fewer foreign players in the system.

The new rules will probably disenfranchise the smaller PL clubs and may make it more lopsided. Premier League sides will still be extremely rich and the top sides will remain competitive at the very top level In Europe because by-and-large the players they sign for their first team will not be affected by the rules.