"Lower quality foreign players" transfers will be blocked

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
You're projecting your bias onto me with "you don't understand British politics". I understand British politics very well. Lived here all my life. Listened to politicians and their lies. Read countless books and articles on politics. I have a very hard time imagining there's something you know which I don't. The notion that the FA, or our politicians, want more child trafficking is just crazy.

You think you know what I think. How? You never met me; have no idea what I think. But because I dared disagree with you - you give yourself to right to mind-read and speak for me by telling me what I think. This level of miscommunication and idiocy borders on pathological. Please go to school to learn how to think. Come back at me when you can control your fantasies and speak without telling other people what we think.
:lol:

Classical Mechanic

Is this post brexit?

Spain will never be the best or biggest league, the individual TV deals sees an end to that, smaller clubs can't compete with Real and Barca because of the low amount of income.

It wouldn't for the next 3-4 years but after that there'll be a big drop off in quality, as it'll be British only players coming through. I'd comfortably say that 90% of the best PL players have been foreign, with barely any of them coming with a big reputation. So for the FA to turn them away if they got their way is ridiculous, the foreign players of the past have all brought different styles, skillsets, fanbases and character with them, those along with foreign coaches have helped mould the PL into the competition it is today.
If you look through the top 6 first team squads (players that get minutes) I can only see Eric Garcia that would definitely not have been signed under the new rules. Arsenal have a few like Martinelli, Saliba and Mari that may have not been able to sign. Spurs may have not been able to sign Vinicius, Fernandes and Gazzinga.

I don't think the changes are any where near as profound as you think they are. Very few under 18s signed from Europe on the cheap have actually become important players for the top sides.

edit: Chelsea wouldn't have signed Christensen either.

Last edited:

pascell

Yes, post Brexit the UK won’t benefit from the EU free movement and will have to follow FIFA rules like the rest of the world which makes signing players u18s from abroad illegal. It’ll be British players only in academies, and I think Irish players should technically be good to sign too.

Saying 90% of the best PL players would be turned away is just sensationalism though. The PL’s proposition states it would have virtually zero impact on first team signings, while also opening up the chance to sign 500% more South Americans and Africans. Really the biggest change will be not being able to sign youth players, but that is a consequence of leaving the EU and zero to do with the FA. League One and League two clubs will also be unlikely to get to sign Europeans from abroad, but that isn’t going to decrease the quality of the PL. The details in the OP would have minimal effect on the quality of the PL.
Let's hope we remain an attractive place to learn the game for youngsters.

Sorry I worded that wrong, what I meant was 90% of the best players to play in the PL have been foreign, not that we'd turn away 90%.

The bolded might be correct and prove me wrong in the short term, but not having the chance to sign foreign youth players could damage the PL in the long term. Theoretically they'll likely head to other leagues to make a name for themselves and increase said leagues stature and closing the gap of quality between themselves and the PL.

I fully understand Brexit is out of the FA hands, but they could give more favourable conditions to teams in the football league pyramid in signing 'lower quality foreign players' as those have been the catalyst of success which is the PL.

It also means that the talent that does come from South America and Africa will now come at a premium, as every PL club will likely want to sign them.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I find this extraordinarily stupid even for you brits. All of your national teams are doing well especially England who have the strongest pool of talent since the early to mid 2000's and NOW you want to reduce the number of foreign players in the league? The time was 10 or 15 years ago to do it now just smacks of brexiteer nonsense.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Let's hope we remain an attractive place to learn the game for youngsters.

Sorry I worded that wrong, what I meant was 90% of the best players to play in the PL have been foreign, not that we'd turn away 90%.

The bolded might be correct and prove me wrong in the short term, but not having the chance to sign foreign youth players could damage the PL in the long term. Theoretically they'll likely head to other leagues to make a name for themselves and increase said leagues stature and closing the gap of quality between themselves and the PL.

I fully understand Brexit is out of the FA hands, but they could give more favourable conditions to teams in the football league pyramid in signing 'lower quality foreign players' as those have been the catalyst of success which is the PL.

It also means that the talent that does come from South America and Africa will now come at a premium, as every PL club will likely want to sign them.
Not having the chance to sign foreign youth players is completely irrelevant to the topic though. That was done and dusted when all the idiots voted for Brexit. The FA and work permits which is what the article is about have no effect on signing players under 18, as it’ll now be illegal.

They are offering favourable terms. A 500% increase. League One and Two sides have very few foreign players anyway. PL clubs will still be signing foreign players so this catalyst isn’t changing.

The FA also doesn’t govern work permits. The FA isn’t the government. They specifically even say they’ve suggested looser restrictions which the home office isn’t accepting.

How will they come at a premium? Every PL club now has the option to sign from every country in the world, the pool is now larger. How does that create a premium?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Not having the chance to sign foreign youth players is completely irrelevant to the topic though. That was done and dusted when all the idiots voted for Brexit. The FA and work permits which is what the article is about have no effect on signing players under 18, as it’ll now be illegal.
On the topic of this, would we be able to sign players when they're 16 and loan them out for 2 years or is that completely illegal? If so do you think we'll now be looking to arrange a lot more future transfers for players from foreign academies for when they turn 18 or is that not feasible either? Honestly it's going to be a kick in the teeth either way.

limerickcitykid

On the topic of this, would we be able to sign players when they're 16 and loan them out for 2 years or is that completely illegal? If so do you think we'll now be looking to arrange a lot more future transfers for players from foreign academies for when they turn 18 or is that not feasible either? Honestly it's going to be a kick in the teeth either way.
No the transfer of them is illegal so we can’t register any players under 18 as signings to the club. The best you could do is make pre-agreements like Real Madrid did with Vinícius. It makes little sense for European players to agree to that though.

Yes, it’ll suck and will make u18s football a lot weaker. But realistically at the end of the day it isn’t that big of a kick in the teeth. What non-British or Irish academy player has ever been successful here? Basically none, so we’re not losing much for the first team. The only one really is Pogba who we lost and bought back for £90m anyway, so we could have just bought him for £90m either way.

Could be time to bring back those rumours of buying a French or Dutch club just in case though.

Classical Mechanic

When have United won on one of these signings? There's probably Pogba, Pique and Rossi that were good enough to really impact our team. We ended up payiing £89m for Pogba and selling Pique and Rossi for £10m combined. The likes of Pereira and TFM likely cost us more in wages and treatment costs (TFM) than any value they added to the first team.

limerickcitykid

If you look through the top 6 first team squads (players that get minutes) I can only see Eric Garcia that would definitely not have been signed under the new rules. Arsenal have a few like Martinelli, Saliba and Mari that may have not been able to sign. Spurs may have not been able to sign Vinicius, Fernandes and Gazzinga.

I don't think the changes are any where near as profound as you think they are. Very few under 18s signed from Europe on the cheap have actually become important players for the top sides.

edit: Chelsea wouldn't have signed Christensen either.
Even those likely would be allowed except for the under 18 signings. There is top European level experience between some of them.

I mean we somehow got a work permit for fecking Matt Olosunde in the past. With a 500% increase we should be able to get a work permit for just about anyone we want. When he gets one, I’m not actually sure how anyone was getting declined before

Classical Mechanic

Even those likely would be allowed except for the under 18 signings. There is top European level experience between some of them.

I mean we somehow got a work permit for fecking Matt Olosunde in the past. With a 500% increase we should be able to get a work permit for just about anyone we want. When he gets one, I’m not actually sure how anyone was getting declined before
Olusunde had loads of caps for the USA underage teams so we might have got him on a special talent consideration or something. An obvious way to game the system with Europeans would be to arrange jobs for the parents. I know we've done that to entice young foreign players before anyway.

Tyrion

Would it really be great though? There are lots of players that aren’t internationally established, that have come from Europe and made great contributions to the premier league.
Fair. A total block would be silly but I do think English football as a whole would be better off if signings from abroad were more about improving the firet team rather than just adding squad depth and clubs used their academy for that instead.

Le Red

Is this Brexit-influenced?

Christ almighty, it is. You racist Brexiteer cnuts, well fecking done.
Please keep steering more people to the right with these hysterical divisive comments pleaaseee

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
So like will the home office hire their own scouting team? Or just use FMs database?

limerickcitykid

So hidden gems like Sadio Mane & Ngolo Kante coming to the league will be a thing of the past?
Sadio Mane, the African who was required to apply for a work permit under the current rules and was granted one. New rules which propose the signing of 500% more Africans and you think that means he now doesn’t get a permit? Please tell me how you’ve reached such a conclusion?

It’s like nobody even bothers to fecking read anything before they come wading in with their shit opinions.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Please keep steering more people to the right with these hysterical divisive comments pleaaseee
I don’t think any statement of mine will drove any to the right, those people were already idiotic & racist to begin with.

UDontMessWith24

This shouldn’t be a problem for United. We spend $80 million on Maguire and watch Leicester replace him with a foreign player that’s better for a third of the price Maguire cost.

RoyH1

No the transfer of them is illegal so we can’t register any players under 18 as signings to the club. The best you could do is make pre-agreements like Real Madrid did with Vinícius. It makes little sense for European players to agree to that though.

Yes, it’ll suck and will make u18s football a lot weaker. But realistically at the end of the day it isn’t that big of a kick in the teeth. What non-British or Irish academy player has ever been successful here? Basically none, so we’re not losing much for the first team. The only one really is Pogba who we lost and bought back for £90m anyway, so we could have just bought him for £90m either way.

Could be time to bring back those rumours of buying a French or Dutch club just in case though.
I see that happening. You know the biggest clubs will just find a way to bypass any regulation that incoveniences them anyway.

limerickcitykid

I see that happening. You know the biggest clubs will just find a way to bypass any regulation that incoveniences them anyway.
No doubt they’ll come up with new ways, legal or illegal. even with being able to sign EU kids at 16 they were still pushing the boundaries of legality so no doubt they’ll continue to.

It’s obviously led to the likes of Chelsea, both Madrid’s and Barcelona being transfer banned already so maybe that will deter them. Although City did it and paid their way out of it.

Also with City number of European clubs they’ll just be able to run signings through them if need be.

RashyForPM

Who is low quality and who is high quality? And more importantly, who are the FA of all people to deem how good a player is?

Cloud7

Who is low quality and who is high quality? And more importantly, who are the FA of all people to deem how good a player is?
Fifa ratings. If your average is >80 you're good. Anything less and you don't make the cut.