Lucas Moura - (Caf decides he’s naff again) Spurs bound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
:houllier: It took you about 20 seconds to reply. Can't possibly have watched the highlights to see that he was touted as a huge talent with same dribbles as Ronaldo or better.

Can't have a normal debate with such an auto-replier. You instantly just called me wrong without even having any other argument than he sucked when he entered PSG - That doesn't take away his huge talent when in Brazil - everyone thought he was going to be the next big thing. You simply just scrape away his years in Brazil and base his talent on his PSG career.
I don't need to re-watch the highlight, I know the player, I saw the highlight before he joined PSG, I saw him with PSG too.

PS: That's why you don't judge players with youtube.

LoCalXT

Are we seriously debating whether to sign him or not ?
Every team needs squad players ...and if we happen to upgrade in the summer - Lucas is still a SOLID back up. Only reason he is not playing is because PSG has Neymar , Mbappe , Draxler and Di Maria ...all of them I will gladly take at United over Lucas but that doesn't make him a bad player !

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
:houllier: It took you about 20 seconds to reply. Can't possibly have watched the highlights to see that he was touted as a huge talent with same dribbles as Ronaldo or better.

Can't have a normal debate with such an auto-replier. You instantly just called me wrong without even having any other argument than he sucked when he entered PSG - That doesn't take away his huge talent when in Brazil - everyone thought he was going to be the next big thing. You simply just scrape away his years in Brazil and base his talent on his PSG career.
I've seen a few games of his sao paulo in the brasileirao that season, casemiro looked like prime yaya touré at times, except he very clearly was never going to be anything more than a pure ball winner in europe. Lucas was massively overrated

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Moura good performance against Chelsea away.

Thanks for posting.

I like how direct he is in this game against a dominant PL side.

One thing I will say for Moura, is that I do have a feeling that the PL could suit him more than anywhere else in Europe. He just has that burst of pace and that opportunistic eye for the run that often pays off.

I think he's more similar to Mahrez than Walcott.

JPRouve

Scout
I've seen a few games of his sao paulo in the brasileirao that season, casemiro looked like prime yaya touré at times, except he very clearly was never going to be anything more than a pure ball winner in europe. Lucas was massively overrated
It's like Bernard, he was highly rated at Mineiro and then we saw him in Europe.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Btw, given his skillset, drop him into guardiola's city and he'd be as good as Sane, on the right flank

He's not the type of player who'd do particularly well in this united side though imho

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Rather go for Malcolm than Moura but if he get him for £20m then it's a good deal.

BigdaftGorby

Does anyone actually think this is going to come off?
I would be happy to take a £20mill chance on a player who’s numbers last season where really good. It’s only because of Mbappe and Neymar that he’s taken a back seat. 25 years old......still a lot of mileage there to improve.
My ultimate fear is he could be another Depay, all the promise but no substance at this consistent level.

Robbie Boy

Like sooooooooooooo many players that come from that league.

el3mel

Moura good performance against Chelsea away.

Looks like another winger who will always cuts inside. Now I'm not so sure. Against parked buses he'll find the middle very congested and won't add much if he always plays like this.

I was hoping for a direct wide player that provides width most of time it relief the congestion of the central midfield in such games and provides us with other solutions.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Btw, given his skillset, drop him into guardiola's city and he'd be as good as Sane, on the right flank

He's not the type of player who'd do particularly well in this united side though imho
Really? Seems a very similar type of player to Willian, a player who thrived under Mourinho.

Enigma_87

You know who
I don't need to re-watch the highlight, I know the player, I saw the highlight before he joined PSG, I saw him with PSG too.

PS: That's why you don't judge players with youtube.
Why don't you rate him out of interest? Was excellent every time I watched him the year before for PSG.

Losing your place to Mbappe and Neymar, who cost a combined of like 400m is hardly something you can hold against him...

freshibal

the ultimate combination is genius and insanity

JPRouve

Scout
Why don't you rate him out of interest? Was excellent every time I watched him the year before for PSG.

Losing your place to Mbappe and Neymar, who cost a combined of like 400m is hardly something you can hold against him...
That's not the subject of the post you quoted.

The conversation with Roflution was about his initial rating and in that case how he was grossly overrated and overhyped which blurred people subsequent evaluation of him, me included. People are too harsh with him because they thought that he was a world class prospect in the range of Neymar which was wrong, he was a decent young player with the potential to be good to very good, what happened at PSG is that he developed year after year but he is still not a top player just a good player with decision making issues.

ash_86

I see a lot of comments mentioning that he cuts inside a lot, so why is it bad? Sane/Sterling have been doing that every single time for City and have been quite productive. I prefer wingers coming in closer to the goal than going the other way. Lukaku needs service and a low driven cross counts as service too. Those are harder to defend than air balls.

ti vu

It's opinion so I respect yours but have to disagree. PSG style is also similar in that the wide players in final third drift inside. This is Moura problem. He doesn't exactly work well unlocking deep compact defense. He's good at breaking through pressing and attack the space. Without the space, he's running into dead end. And his decision making become erratic. Clearly he's more suited to a counter attacking side than a side who utilize slow build up most of the time to get all the players into position.

poleglass red

It's opinion so I respect yours but have to disagree. PSG style is also similar in that the wide players in final third drift inside. This is Moura problem. He doesn't exactly work well unlocking deep compact defense. He's good at breaking through pressing and attack the space. Without the space, he's running into dead end. And his decision making become erratic. Clearly he's more suited to a counter attacking side than a side who utilize slow build up most of the time to get all the players into position.
I've seen almost nothing of this player, so I appreciate insight from people like yourself who have seen more of him. One question though I have, you say he is better suited to a counter attacking side. If what I've read on him, he has done very well for PSG until this season, in fact I think I read last season was his best or certainly one of. Not watching any french football, I'd imagine most teams wouldn't go all out attack on PSG, wouldn't most just sit back and give possession to them. So wouldn't he be used to a team trying to break down stubborn teams that bunker. I appreicate the quality in a lot of those teams wouldn't be great but he'd surely have faced teams with 10 men behind the ball frequently, which is a problem we regularly have. Is that accurate or am I out to lunch on that.

SATA

He's a right footer but he cuts inside a lot? I always thought he's a right winger so it doesn't really make sense to do so unless his left foot is equally strong as well

BigdaftGorby

He's a right footer but he cuts inside a lot? I always thought he's a right winger so it doesn't really make sense to do so unless his left foot is equally strong as well
I think Jose likes that, both Lingard and Mata are almost central when the ball is out on the left, as for delivery he seems to be able to whip it in and got a good eye for the final ball

ROFLUTION

I've seen almost nothing of this player, so I appreciate insight from people like yourself who have seen more of him. One question though I have, you say he is better suited to a counter attacking side. If what I've read on him, he has done very well for PSG until this season, in fact I think I read last season was his best or certainly one of. Not watching any french football, I'd imagine most teams wouldn't go all out attack on PSG, wouldn't most just sit back and give possession to them. So wouldn't he be used to a team trying to break down stubborn teams that bunker. I appreicate the quality in a lot of those teams wouldn't be great but he'd surely have faced teams with 10 men behind the ball frequently, which is a problem we regularly have. Is that accurate or am I out to lunch on that.
If you watch his goals from last season, quite a lot of his goals (I'd say most of them) are on counter-attacks (tap-ins where he has good placement), where the defence is spread out. Can't remember one goal of them being where PSG is heavily in position.

JPRouve

Scout
It's not that he cuts inside, PSG plays with a relatively narrow front three since the fullbacks are the ones providing width. Lucas has no problem playing slightly wider but that's not what PSG did with Ibrahimovic or now with Emery.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Statistically we can’t say that he has regressed. Only time will tell. I think he’s worth a punt at 25m. Bet Zlatan has had some input as no doubt he would have had a supply of chances from him

Kevinb5555

Why would you sign Lucas Moura when Mahrez is available...
mainly because Mahrez has been very inconsistent on times
Why would you sign Lucas Moura when Mahrez is available...
Believe Mahrez is viewed also as very inconsistent and especially when the system is not designed around him. In fairness to Moura he has been excellent player for PSG and I believe he is someone we should consider.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I want him. I wanted him years ago. Paris was the wrong move for him. Time he joined us and elevated himself to a worldie.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
To quote the Xavi interview, he's a player who needs space and time, a dribbler, who needs to play with a 90/180 degrees field of vision to be effective. Like Sane for City.

Lucas wouldn't be bad for United but he wouldn't be particularly good either, because he'd be asked to do too much, and he's one of those players who are better when they don't have to think too much

Sing you a song

I don't know too much about him to be honest apart from remembering that united were in for him a few years ago and at the time everyone appeared gutted that we didn't get him .
Can't see a downside to getting a very fast right winger and have a feeling that due to PSG's need to balance the books he could be available at a good price .
He hasn't played too much this year which is understandable given they signed Neymar and mbappe and also have Cavani , Draxler and Di Maria .
But this is also to our advantage in that he would be available to play in the Champions league this season a major plus as this would not be the case for most players we would be able to get hold of in January .
If we are interested we should stop messing and just get him

redpatron

Would you guys prefer Moura or Bale ? Have in mind : price , age , PL Experience , Injury record .
Bale, even at the price difference and injury history. A healthy Bale can win you the league, he would run through Walker and Mendy. Moura he just an ok option off the bench.

crossy1686

career ending
Would you guys prefer Moura or Bale ? Have in mind : price , age , PL Experience , Injury record .
Bale isn't available and ruled himself out of any transfers any time soon so we might as well play the game "who do we want more? Ronaldo or Messi?".

Moura is apparently available, wants out and is willing to join us. He's a decent player who can definitely do a job for us in an area we're lacking depth. Don't worry about other targets, if we can get him for £25m then just do it.

ROFLUTION

At gunpoint I'd take Bale - I think we already got a similar player to Lucas in Lingard, who seems to be developing heavily right now. If Mata goes this summer, there's better room for Moura.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
One guy you'd most likely be looking to upgrade on in the summer, the other is a difference-maker with fitness issues

Status
Not open for further replies.