Lucas Torreira

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
You mean an Arsenal fan posted highlights of him where he doesnt show all his fouls and diving?

No way. Thats unexpected
Oh, yeah. Sorry, didn't watch the match. Just found his stats. He does receive protection from refs, maybe its something to do with favouring the little guy. Doesn't matter to me, happy to be on the favorable end of some decisions after years of seeing them go against us.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I don't know what you lot are on about, I see a total of one foul committed by him in this entire clip:
Ref called advantage at 4:30 for a foul on Herrera. Then you have his late stamp on Matic's ankle. He was also called back for a late foul on Herrera during a counter attack that's not in the video. Torreira made one successful tackle the whole game, he was late to pretty much everything.

Next time try not to use an Arsenal based video that will show his best bits. Or better yet watch the game.

Ekeke

Oh, yeah. Sorry, didn't watch the match. Just found his stats. He does receive protection from refs, maybe its something to do with favouring the little guy. Doesn't matter to me, happy to be on the favorable end of some decisions after years of seeing them go against us.
That would explain it. And yeah every team will have matches like that now and again. We've had our share of matches where Fellaini wasnt sent off for an elbow, or Rojo wasnt sent off for diving in etc even in the past few years.

But still if we're talking about this one specific match, Torreira and Guendouzi between them made a lot of fouls that werent given and when they were, they werent booked for accumulation like most players are. They got away with a lot of the dark arts.

I dunno if this will be a regular thing for them. But it was especially annoying for us this week, especially as our best player was someone who was constantly making tackles and interceptions fairly and was stopped several times when he didn't foul his opponent for weak freekicks.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That would explain it. And yeah every team will have matches like that now and again. We've had our share of matches where Fellaini wasnt sent off for an elbow, or Rojo wasnt sent off for diving in etc even in the past few years.

But still if we're talking about this one specific match, Torreira and Guendouzi between them made a lot of fouls that werent given and when they were, they werent booked for accumulation like most players are. They got away with a lot of the dark arts.

I dunno if this will be a regular thing for them. But it was especially annoying for us this week, especially as our best player was someone who was constantly making tackles and interceptions fairly and was stopped several times when he didn't foul his opponent for weak freekicks.
Torreira was eventually booked for an accumulation of fouls, no? Dirty little prick should have been booked a lot sooner, mind you. He also conceded a blatant penalty when he chopped Martial down without touching the ball.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Torreira was eventually booked for an accumulation of fouls, no? Dirty little prick should have been booked a lot sooner, mind you. He also conceded a blatant penalty when he chopped Martial down without touching the ball.
Most annoying thing about him not being booked sooner meant he was given way more time to keep fouling away, he's like Arsenal's version of Casemiro or Fernandinho. Mind you, I won't pretend I don't like having players like that on my team as long as they get away with it.

the_irish123

Remember how refs never yellowed Ramires? I think lighter players can foul more.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I think the yellow was for a late tackle in front of the box but the ref gave advantage and came back to book him. It wasn't shown on camera, the commentators said it after a replay.

Canagel

Maybe if we played smaller guys in midfield we would also get the benefit of the doubt in refereeing decisions

Bestietom

He's small but dynamite. We need a few like him in our side instead of big lumps that walk around the pitch. But Mourinho likes the big lumps.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
True. But I would say the penalty only looked blatant on the replay. At the time it was not very clear.

Craig Ward

Each time I've seen him, I've been impressed.

He was mentioned in forums here as a potential midfield recruit,

He looks a class above any of our midfielders this season that's for sure. Good little player

Bola

Except all those handball goals tgat habe been allowed to stand over the last few seasons

red4ever 79

Good player. Every team needs one of these little irritating pr*cks in the side to wind up the opposition. Covers lots of ground, presses the ball non stop, has good technique and not afraid to put his foot in. Compare him to our two traffic cones

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Well you know his gamemanship worked quite well if the opposition fans hate him for it. Yes he got his studs into your players a few times. He wasn't the only one though, I tuned in late first half and a few of your players looked like they were trying to kick our players off the pitch. I was quite proud of Bellerin and Torriera giving it back and mainly getting away with it. It was a rough game like United-Arsenal games of old. Mourinho likes his tactical fouls too. Yes by the rules he gets a yellow or 2 but United could have got more yellows. How Fellaini didn't get a yellow for yanking Guenduzzi to the floor by his hair I don't know. I missed Rashford's challenge on Holding but it looks like it's put him out for the season. But I actually enjoyed the back and forth aggression, reminds me of Vieira and Petit vs Keane and co.

Honestly the same fans moaning about poor little Torreira probably celebrated Keane's cruncher against Haaland and every United player kicking Reyes off the pitch back then below (sadly I can't embed a vid of this...). But that's what football fans do I suppose, support your side.

As for why he didn't get a yellow earlier. I suppose it's because he's subtle about it, he's not too blatant and refs don't want to kill the game giving a yellow for every infraction.

All fouls aside his passing and movement, decesion making, defensive cover and russell terrier nipping of opposition players makes me very happy with this signing. Didn't Mourinho say he needed a terrier in midfield the other week?

Ref called advantage at 4:30 for a foul on Herrera. Then you have his late stamp on Matic's ankle. He was also called back for a late foul on Herrera during a counter attack that's not in the video. Torreira made one successful tackle the whole game, he was late to pretty much everything.

Next time try not to use an Arsenal based video that will show his best bits. Or better yet watch the game.
That's what the stats show but looking at that vid he definitely made more tackles/interceptions than that

Last edited:

the_irish123

Seems like this guy was overrated just because he was the first Arsenal player to tackle in the past 5 years. Completely normal player.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Seems like this guy was overrated just because he was the first Arsenal player to tackle in the past 5 years. Completely normal player.
:lol:

I'm willing to give him a bit more time. He's still a 22(?) year old that's playing in England for the first time, setting into life here & whatnot. Next two seasons will tell if he's good or not.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I feel like he just burnt himself out within the first half of the season. Either needs to be able to run round like a madman all season or adapt his game.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
:lol:

I'm willing to give him a bit more time. He's still a 22(?) year old that's playing in England for the first time, setting into life here & whatnot. Next two seasons will tell if he's good or not.
I feel the same way but I agree that fans went overboard with him cos he seemed to show a modicum of grit. In reality he seems pretty average (might progress but I'm not really blown away by what I've seen).

Nick7

I think he's a good player. One of the better recent Arsenal purchases.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I think he's a good player. One of the better recent Arsenal purchases.
I feel like that other guy with the long hair is going to have a bigger career. He is even younger, like 19 or something and even though he has made some mistakes when he has been good he has looked like a world beater. Torreira seems like Idrissa Guye level, which is fine.

Nick7

I feel like that other guy with the long hair is going to have a bigger career. He is even younger, like 19 or something and even though he has made some mistakes when he has been good he has looked like a world beater. Torreira seems like Idrissa Guye level, which is fine.
I don't see it with Guendouzi. He looks decent but I think that's mostly because of his age.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Classic Arsenal hypejob. Another one is Gendouzi, many Arsenal fans are convinced he's destined to be world class, and they've discounted several shocking performances because there's an easy out of his age. United fans have this type of behaviour for Martial, where there's a cult-like belief that he'll be world class, except Arsenal fans do this for any decent player they have. Bear in mind, I think he's a good purchase for Arsenal, a decent young player with potential to be good. But, nowhere near the best midfielders in the league which he was being touted as.

Fosu-Mens

Classic Arsenal hypejob. Another one is Gendouzi, many Arsenal fans are convinced he's destined to be world class, and they've discounted several shocking performances because there's an easy out of his age. United fans have this type of behaviour for Martial, where there's a cult-like belief that he'll be world class, except Arsenal fans do this for any decent player they have. Bear in mind, I think he's a good purchase for Arsenal, a decent young player with potential to be good. But, nowhere near the best midfielders in the league which he was being touted as.
For Torreiras price he seems a steal.
Gendouzi is an unfinished product. Very unfinished.

Walters_19_MuFc

I like him. Think he's much more suited to be a back up to Herrera than Fred is. Defensively sound, passes between the lines and is dynamic.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Who said that he was one of the best midfielders in the league?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Cracking little player, just go watch Uruguay-Portugal at the WC and how he pestered CR all game.

Haven't watched him lately, guess he may be burnt out if people are seeing his performances dip, but he will be a top midfielder for Arsenal, no doubt in my mind.

MadMike

He's a good player. He's not exceptional or world class or anything, but he's good. He started the season very well but his form dipped a bit in the middle of the season, while still being well within acceptable levels. He's got time to grow as well, he's just turned 23. As others have mentioned, for his age and price he's been good business for Arsenal.

Comparing his first season in the EPL with that of other midfield arrivals like Fred, Naby Keita, Kovacic, Jorginho.... I'd say he's done better than all of them and looks more likely to make it long term. Despite being the youngest and cheapest of the lot.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He's a good player. He's not exceptional or world class or anything, but he's good. He started the season very well but his form dipped a bit in the middle of the season, while still being well within acceptable levels. He's got time to grow as well, he's just turned 23. As others have mentioned, for his age and price he's been good business for Arsenal.

Comparing his first season in the EPL with that of other midfield arrivals like Fred, Naby Keita, Kovacic, Jorginho.... I'd say he's done better than all of them and looks more likely to make it long term. Despite being the youngest and cheapest of the lot.
Well Kovacic is on loan so he wasn't cheaper than him :p

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
So seemingly wants to go back to Italy after 1 year at Arsenal :lol:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Can't say that I blame him. Arsenal seem to be committed to a strategy of ambitiously treading water on a shoestring with what can only be described as a no-man's land squad.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Seems he hasn't settled in London and his old boss at Samp is now AC Milan manager.

Way Arsenal is run atm I can see them selling him and using money from sale to give Xhaka bumper pay rise and new five year contract. :lol: