Luckhurst: Luke Shaw's form on and off the pitch has changed Utd's plans over a possible left-back

Kapardin

If we get a RB and a RW along with some attacking players in the middle of the park, I am willing to try out Martial-Shaw on the left for next season, assuming Martial continues on the wing. The more quality players you have, the more time and patience you can afford youth. It is useless to think of youth development when 2/3rds of our squad is average and we cannot afford to drop points.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
He has been decent. Not great.

He still can’t cross a ball. A team like United can’t afford to have weaknesses in vital positions like that.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen you post something positive you know. What you like in person?

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
Still too early to tell yet but I do like Shaw and he's looked decent lately. He still has improvements to make but he's still young, and hopefully he can stay clear of any niggling injuries that sidetrack him.

Blue always red

Shaw, with a consistent run, could be the best LB in the league, if not the world. His ability to drift infield and play with the attackers is already better than any other LB in the league. His awareness needs work though, but I'm attributing that to his lack of match sharpness.

Xcited

Would be nice to pick up an experienced full back who can play both rb and lb to provide cover.

Will also allow us to ship out blind and Darmian. Will leave us with Shaw and Valencia starting, New solid experienced full back covering both sides. Young. Also the young lads.

Sounds good to me

Can't think who the experienced full back we purchase should be though... But that's ed and mourinho's job not mine! :lol:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
So the dream of the Shaw-Pogba-Martial triumvirate matching or besting Cole-Pires-Henry lives on?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Shaw, with a consistent run, could be the best LB in the league, if not the world. His ability to drift infield and play with the attackers is already better than any other LB in the league. His awareness needs work though, but I'm attributing that to his lack of match sharpness.
He looked much leaner in the last 2 games. It will save us 50-60m if SHaw can stay fit and claim that LB position. He's a good LB already, with worldclass potential.

redpatron

Luckhurst is just making shit up as he goes looking for clicks. Probably lurks redcafe finds top threads, creates a story, tweets it, waits for clicks to come in. I expect a story about henrik speculation transfer in the next couple of hours.

Laurentiu amt

He pulled his head out of his arse and stopped being a kiddo.

I still think he's 2-3 Kg's overweight, or that;s just him being a stocky lad.

He still has a long road ahead, but boy the potential is real with him.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
He has been decent. Not great.
He still can’t cross a ball. A team like United can’t afford to have weaknesses in vital positions like that.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen you post something positive you know. What you like in person?
The first poster is exactly right, unfortunately.

Nick7

So what? It'd not exactly a damning indictment that he's been good, not great in his first month back playing regular football in over a year. Also when a negative poster like that comes up with "not great at crossing" as the only negative that's lot too bad. Crossing can be taught to players, full backs especially.

Lennon7

Because his crosses have been poor makes him a weakness at left back? He’s been strong in the air, fought hard and been a very welcome re-addition to an at times lazy team.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
So what? It'd not exactly a damning indictment that he's been good, not great in his first month back playing regular football in over a year. Also when a negative poster like that comes up with "not great at crossing" as the only negative that's lot too bad. Crossing can be taught to players, full backs especially.
Yes I hope he gets better, as for me it's the only stand out weakness. I can't remember if he was a bad crosser before his injury.

JK-27

I hope this is true. He just needs a run of games and to build his confidence. He does sometimes lack a bit of bite, and needs to improve his all around game in the final third, but he has a lot of potential.

People are acting as if fullbacks at other clubs place the ball perfectly on an attackers head every time they cross the ball. Not saying he can't improve his crossing but Shaw has put a few very dangerous balls in during his run of games

Lennon7

I think so. He's supposed to be an attacking full back.
He was never an attacking fullback in the way that Marcelo or Alves are. He is a great dribbler though and definitely has an eye for a pass, whether he’s able to execute them at the moment or not is a different issue. But as I said, and you went out of your way to not quote, he’s been an energetic, welcome addition to our side and does really well at winning the ball.

Andersons Dietician

Who knows what to believe as reports have always come out about how it was the board and people within the club that believed in Luke Shaw, saw how hard he worked during his recovery and so on. Supposedly they protected him from Jose.
The other day there was the story about Jose being furious because united wouldn’t let him sign Rose as he has Shaw. Now today it’s a totally different scenario, and i’m Guessing within a week it will have changed again.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Excellent!
Hope Shaw continiues to work hard, and we'll have one of the best LB's around for a decade.
And the best part, spend the money on RW and CM.

Klopp_De_Klown

There is nothing new in this news.

If you study/Listen closely to Jose. He always kinda hinted that Shaw was part of his plans and that no actual decision would be made on Shaw positive or negative until the lad has a chance. There always seemed to be a nod to his attitude which I could not quiet decypher. Whether it was to improve his attitude or to keep at it. I always took it as a positive for Shaw that he felt the need to mention it. If he was never in Jose's thoughts why would he say anything!

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
See how he progresses over the rest of the season. It’s been a major weakness for us in terms of balance and creativity and we can’t afford to go without a reliable asset at LB in future seasons.

ChaddyP

He wasn't an attacking full back at Southampton. He never has been an all out attacking full back.
I dont know why i remember the opposite. i even have a memory of when he signed he was asked if he thinks he would basicvallyt be tailor made to do great as an lvg wing back becuase of how attacking he is as a full back.

Oldyella

He was never an attacking fullback in the way that Marcelo or Alves are. He is a great dribbler though and definitely has an eye for a pass, whether he’s able to execute them at the moment or not is a different issue. But as I said, and you went out of your way to not quote, he’s been an energetic, welcome addition to our side and does really well at winning the ball.
His style of play is more like a younger A Cole, getting to the byline with pace and energy and then cutting balls back rather than, for example, Young who will make a yard and drift crosses in. Thats how I have always seen him anyway.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
His willingness to get forward at any given opportunity is a massive plus from an attacking perspective. The way he combined with Martial and Pogba against Everton in the second half was scary good - tore them to shreds they did.

His end product is still largely inconsistent but that part of his game will improve with time. His confidence is also coming on leaps and bounds.

Seeing Shaw reach his potential would be the equivilent of a new superstar signing. I feel under the correct guidance he can become great for us.

Eire Red United

Knew he had talent, great to see he appears to have the attitude as well to make it. Touch wood he can stay fit now and cement his place long term.

Frank Grimes

I said I wanted him replaced earlier in the thread but now that he is getting a consistent run in the team it's only fair we see how he performs for the rest of the season and hopefully he keeps improving.

Lennon7

His style of play is more like a younger A Cole, getting to the byline with pace and energy and then cutting balls back rather than, for example, Young who will make a yard and drift crosses in. Thats how I have always seen him anyway.
Yep, and he does it quite well. As I said he has a decent eye for a pass, and gets into good positions. Obviously his crossing could be improved but so could most of our players, and it isn’t the be all end all of a good left back. It’s not like every cross of his are akin to Mkhi’s v Southampton.

RedDevil@84

Didn't see anything big from him yet.
Still would want him replaced, unless he does something really nice for rest of the season.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
My issues with Shaw are not over his ability, as i think he’s a very good player. My major concern with him is his injury record.

Imagine not buying a left back next summer, Shaw getting a long term injury and then being forced to play Darmian there again.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Probably for the best, hopefully he can keep fit and put in a good 2nd half of the campaign. If he doesn't we can look to replace him in the summer.
He's still only 22, it's crazy to realise he's the same age as other youngsters like Joel Pereria.

Mcking

Shaw could save us from having to spend a tonne on a LB, allowing us to do so at RB. If Shaw can keep up this season, I think we should be looking to bring in a big-money RB, rather than a LB in the summer.