Luckhurst: United prepared to move for a holding midfielder in January

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Martial isn't good enough for United either
At least unlike Lingard he’s proven he’s got the talent for this club and has had spells more than good enough. Can’t really say the same for Lingard. Can’t wait to see the back of him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
At least unlike Lingard he’s proven he’s got the talent for this club and has had spells more than good enough. Can’t really say the same for Lingard. Can’t wait to see the back of him.
Thats very arguable

Has Martial ever had a spell like Lingard did in 17/18 or the one he did for West Ham for half a season last season?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I'm not sure tbh. I think if he wasn't being picked, he'd move somewhere on lesser wages if he was going to be the main man. Lyon would be a good move for him, go back to his old stomping ground.
Yeah, I'd love for us to move him on. Let's hope he'd pursue playing time over a high wage.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Thats very arguable

Has Martial ever had a spell like Lingard did in 17/18 or the one he did for West Ham for half a season last season?
Plenty of times, he's had 2 actual seasons of being good, in 15/16 and 19/20. I don't know if this is going to devolve into a Lingard vs Martial debate but it shouldn't need to, Martial is just objectively the better player, no matter which way you look at it.

TrustInJanuzaj

Thats very arguable

Martial was our best player two seasons ago. He’s had unplayable games agaisnt city, scored massive winning goals agaisnt Spurs and Chelsea. He’s in a different league to Lingard who has basically had one purple patch his entire career. Martial hasn’t been great the last 18months but the revisionism and lack of respect for what he did here before is madness.

Kag

Thats very arguable

Yes. He’s scored double the number of goals in significantly fewer appearances. Martial has has a very poor eighteen months, but he’s a significantly better player than Lingard.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Martial was our best player two seasons ago. He’s had unplayable games agaisnt city, scored massive winning goals agaisnt Spurs and Chelsea. He’s in a different league to Lingard who has basically had one purple patch his entire career. Martial hasn’t been great the last 18months but the revisionism and lack of respect for what he did here before is madness.
Martial's never been our best player, don't talk about revisionism and then refer to a little post lockdown period and claim it equals the best player over an entire season

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Martial is twice the player Lingard Is though. Lingard is not good enough for Utd.
He might be, but he plays in a different position, a position where we have better players. Lingard is very different to the alternatives in the position he plays.

Also Lingard is more likely to accept a rotation role more than Martial will be over longer time.

It's not just about having the best players in every position, but having good rotation players when you want to change the way you play.
You simply can not have world class backup in every position in real life.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
2 seasons ago. Martial is much less consistent, has much lower bottom level.
Lingard also scored match winning and final winning goals.

Not saying i don't want to replace Lingard at any point, but of the 2 i'd rather keep Lingard.

roseguy64

I think Rangnick will get Lingard/Pogba/Mata/Matic out in January to make room for one midfield signing and get another one in the summer.

Rangnick usually has an entire XI going both in and out, so I don't believe this notion that he won't show the board his transfer skills at all in Jan.
Selling players isn't easy in a pandemic. No matter how skilled you are.

TheRedHearted

I think Rangnick will get Lingard/Pogba/Mata/Matic out in January to make room for one midfield signing and get another one in the summer.

Rangnick usually has an entire XI going both in and out, so I don't believe this notion that he won't show the board his transfer skills at all in Jan.
Add martial to that list. No way we need him up front. I’ve been such a fan of his but with rashford and sancho on LW it’s a no brainer. Ronaldo and Cavani up the middle.

TrustInJanuzaj

2 seasons ago. Martial is much less consistent, has much lower bottom level.
Lingard also scored match winning and final winning goals.

Not saying i don't want to replace Lingard at any point, but of the 2 i'd rather keep Lingard.
Lingard has just come on in two games and absolutely stunk the place up. Lower bottom level is nonsense. There’s a reason Lingard was called a championship player for years.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
There’s a reason Lingard was called a championship player for years.
Lingard has earned many times more than championship players ever will. He should goto newcastle in jan for a payday before be retires, if they get relegated he'll be at his level.

The next contract he signs will probably be his last.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I don't know much about Ralf myself, but i still think we should keep Lingard. Of the midfielders that are considered to be more attacking, Lingard is the hardest working one, he offers something different than the others, and i think in a system with more focus on pressing, a Lingard type is pretty useful - and he seems to be kinda happy with being a rotation player, as long as he gets a decent amount of minutes.

If i was in charge, i'd rather try to get out Martial - together with the other ones you listed. We have plenty of wide players now with Amad and Pellistri behind the first team ones, Martial could bring more money in too, i think.
Doubt that much transfer activity is realistic in january, though.
Agree. Not sure why people are comparing Martial and Lingard's contributions/quality. It's irrelevant.

Martial costs a lot in wages, is a misfit for a pressing side, won't start, needs continuity and will sulk. A move is best for both parties.

Lingard can work as a squad player. Not sure what game people were watching on Thursday, he did exactly what we needed from him.

TrustInJanuzaj

Because idiots are allowed to have internet access.
Sure, I’m not saying it’s a valid opinion but it clearly shows that Lingard is a far less talented player than Martial and martial has displayed far better performances for Utd overall. Weird how the narrative has shifted based on 6 months at West Ham.

TrustInJanuzaj

Still SAF, LvG and Mourinho found use in him.
Strange.
As has Martial. In fact he was the best player under LVG, saved Mourinhos job countless times and displayed some of his best ever form for a spell under Ole. Lingard has done literally feck all for years aside from a 6 month spell for West Ham, following a purple patch years ago for Utd. Look I like him, but it’s not controversial to realise that Martial even now is twice the player Lingard will ever be.

Red00012

Yes. He’s scored double the number of goals in significantly fewer appearances. Martial has has a very poor eighteen months, but he’s a significantly better player than Lingard.
He’s probably better than Rashford currently too.

Martial was decent v Everton scored a goal picked up a knock and hasn’t started since .

Judas

Open to offers
Couldn’t imagine still championing Martial, I’d take Lingard over him all day long. Both are below the standard required.

I’ll never get the desperation to make out Martial was ever that great for us. A few short bursts of hope, quickly followed by mediocrity.

OL29

Agree. Not sure why people are comparing Martial and Lingard's contributions/quality. It's irrelevant.

Martial costs a lot in wages, is a misfit for a pressing side, won't start, needs continuity and will sulk. A move is best for both parties.

Lingard can work as a squad player. Not sure what game people were watching on Thursday, he did exactly what we needed from him.
Lingard has proven to be a much bigger sulker this season, I can only imagine the uproar if Martial posted a picture of himself on social media in another team’s kit, but being British seems to give you a pass for a poor attitude on this forum. And to play in attack for United you need to do much more than be able to press. If both players were able to return to their previous form, I think any manager would find Martial a lot more useful than Lingard.

OL29

Couldn’t imagine still championing Martial, I’d take Lingard over him all day long. Both are below the standard required.

I’ll never get the desperation to make out Martial was ever that great for us. A few short bursts of hope, quickly followed by mediocrity.
I don’t think a single person is even championing him though? No one’s saying he’s going to regain form and turn us into championship contenders, just stating he’s more useful than Lingard. Some of you lose all rationality when discussing players you don’t like.

Even if that was true, which it isn’t, he’s shown a lot more than Lingard ffs. Barring one purple patch under Mourinho, Lingard has never even come close to nailing down a starting spot. No matter what you think of Martial, he’s at least been a constant presence under all of our managers, which should tell you something about his quality.

Last edited:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Lingard has proven to be a much bigger sulker this season, I can only imagine the uproar if Martial posted a picture of himself on social media in another team’s kit, but being British seems to give you a pass for a poor attitude on this forum. And to play in attack for United you need to do much more than be able to press. If both players were able to return to their previous form, I think any manager would find Martial a lot more useful than Lingard.
It's not him being British (I'm not), it's just I know he is an overgrown child with very poor judgement. His attitude/commitment on the pitch has always been unquestionable though.

As said, it would always be as rotation and that would require Rangnick wanting him and him being ok with that role.

I see that as feasible while I don't see Martial having any future with us.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It's not him being British (I'm not), it's just I know he is an overgrown child with very poor judgement. His attitude/commitment on the pitch has always been unquestionable though.

As said, it would always be as rotation and that would require Rangnick wanting him and him being ok with that role.

I see that as feasible while I don't see Martial having any future with us.
You hit the nail on the head. Despite off pitch stupidities, Lingard could never be accused of giving less than 100% when he’s on the pitch.
the same could not be said of Martial

Bojan Djordjic

Our issue with Martial is that he's on £250k a week, very few will be willing to pay him that.
I feel like Newcastle's newfound upward mobility has come at a very opportune time and we should ride the likes of them hard and aggressively target them to sell our dead wood to. Money will be no object, they're still at the clueless transition phase at the moment and aren't in a position where they can target world class players. No doubt they might surpass us in a few years with the unlimited cash available to them but let's make hay while we can.

roseguy64

I feel like Newcastle's newfound upward mobility has come at a very opportune time and we should ride the likes of them hard and aggressively target them to sell our dead wood to. Money will be no object, they're still at the clueless transition phase at the moment and aren't in a position where they can target world class players. No doubt they might surpass us in a few years with the unlimited cash available to them but let's make hay while we can.
The problem you have there is they look likely for relegation so a lot of players will think twice about going. Would be easier decision for players if they were midtable.

Abraxas

I don’t think a single person is even championing him though? No one’s saying he’s going to regain form and turn us into championship contenders, just stating he’s more useful than Lingard. Some of you lose all rationality when discussing players you don’t like.

Even if that was true, which it isn’t, he’s shown a lot more than Lingard ffs. Barring one purple patch under Mourinho, Lingard has never even come close to nailing down a starting spot. No matter what you think of Martial, he’s at least been a constant presence under all of our managers, which should tell you something about his quality.
How can he presently be more useful than Lingard? The man barely runs.

Of course it is a fair argument in terms of ability, technique, goalscoring, however you want to slice and dice it. But given he's done nothing for a long time and barely puts a shift in it is all theoretical usefulness and nothing we can actually realise.

Anthony Martial is currently about as useless to us as a player could possibly be. Maybe we're due another false dawn at some point.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Lingard has just come on in two games and absolutely stunk the place up. Lower bottom level is nonsense. There’s a reason Lingard was called a championship player for years.
By clueless fans, yes.

There’s a big gap between not good enough for United and a championship player. Lingard as proven last season is a good mid level premier league player.