Luckhurst: United prepared to move for a holding midfielder in January

VanDeBank

Ma’am
So Wijnaldum and Henderson are streets ahead of Pogba and Bruno?
Not really a fair comparison because Wijnaldum rarely played as a 10 for Liverpool. He did well there for Newcastle and Holland though. Henderson, I don't rate.

Wijnaldum would be first guy on the sheet in the pivot, maybe with the exception of Fred. Reliable, versatile player. Not every midfielder in a team needs flair, like Pogba has. They're different, but overall yes, for the EPL, Gini is better than Pogba (sadly).
Ole doesn't trust Pogba in CM against big teams where he plays with McFred, meanwhile he's experimenting with Donny in the pivot who doesn't even start for Holland.

choccy77

I don't see it at all. If Pogba was leaving, we might have seen a move for Goretzka or Saul but he's not, so we're fine at CM.

McT, Pogba, Fred, Matic, VdB and to an extent Garner will be enough cover.

Just start working on the Haaland deal and get it in place for next summer.
But we would still need 2 or 3 midfielders next season..

Matic is ancient, Pogba leaves and we are still missing a DM we need now.

So focusing on Haaland doesn't solve anything unless he is going to play literally right down the middle all game.

choccy77

Guys, we can't even give Jones away for nothing.

How do you expect us to get crazy money for our reject Players?

This summer has proven that outside a special few, like Arsenal.

No one has money to through around on average players.

Pickle85

He's worth 30 all day long, he's an England international who almost shot WHU in to CL.

Buendia went for near 40.
Buendia is a few years younger and didn't look like a busted flush for two or three seasons before. One swallow doesn't make a summer and all that.

SirAnderson

Who’s this mirrorAnderson :confused:
Let me just say, there is always a black sheep in family. Last year I borrowed him my laptop and suffice to say, golden shower and pee pee movies were on the top of the search history multiple times when it came back.
Doesn't help that @Andersons Dietician kept feeding him MacDonald's all the time.
@Mr Anderson tried his best to help but ever since he saw Blippi do a dump on a friend, he has been of no use.

TLDR: Do.Not.Trust.

Hey, but glad to know we ended our interest Trippier anymore, that's great news...

GledTheRed

Buendia is a few years younger and didn't look like a busted flush for two or three seasons before. One swallow doesn't make a summer and all that.
Buendia has played one season in the PL and scored 1 goal, Lingard was one of the better players in the league a few months back.

Pickle85

No they wouldn't as he's crap and plays in Eredivisie.

Yes it does, good international players cost 30 million.
Agreed. He is not a good international player though. He's an average player that has played international football and, significantly, didn't go to the most recent international tournament. Also, he's posted three more assists in the PL than Buendia did in his one season

Pickle85

Buendia has played one season in the PL and scored 1 goal, Lingard was one of the better players in the league a few months back.
See my last. Buendia has posted three less assists in one season than lingard did in his whole united pl career.

flappyjay

Yes it does.
Looking at the market over recent years his performances would easily have netted us 30m. But now you have to consider that he has 1 year left on the contract, that reduces his value exponentially. Think about how Varane probably would cost 70m or more if he had a long contract but because of the 1 year left we got him for 34m.

Pickle85

In the championship?

I think plenty of teams would pay 30 million for Lingard and rightly so as he's a very decent PL player.
In his one season in the prem.

Well we shall see. Given his history, high wage and lack of productivity over his career I'd be surprised but delighted. I'm really surprised you think he's very decent. I think he's fine but unremarkable for the prem...it's like the six months or whatever at West ham has made some forget all the hiding, gutless dross he served up for seasons before.

GledTheRed

Looking at the market over recent years his performances would easily have netted us 30m. But now you have to consider that he has 1 year left on the contract, that reduces his value exponentially. Think about how Varane probably would cost 70m or more if he had a long contract but because of the 1 year left we got him for 34m.
41m.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
No they wouldn't as he's crap and plays in Eredivisie.

Yes it does, good international players cost 30 million.
Lingard is a good international footballer, but Holland's euro topscorer isn't :lol:

You missed the point: Clubs don't buy based on purple patches (Dumfries @ euros or Lingard @ west ham). They also see Lingard stinking up the place for a full season without scoring a goal, and Dumfries' inability to cross.

Anyway 25m would be good enough for Lingard, 20 is acceptable. Less is a clearout price.

GledTheRed

In his one season in the prem.

Well we shall see. Given his history, high wage and lack of productivity over his career I'd be surprised but delighted. I'm really surprised you think he's very decent. I think he's fine but unremarkable for the prem...it's like the six months or whatever at West ham has made some forget all the hiding, gutless dross he served up for seasons before.
Buendia got 7 assists and 1 goal in his only PL season.

Lingard is a decent player who lost his way due to problems off the pitch which is understandable.

Pickle85

Lingard is a good international footballer, but Holland's euro topscorer isn't :lol:

You missed the point: Clubs don't buy based on purple patches (Dumfries @ euros or Lingard @ west ham). They also see Lingard stinking up the place for a full season without scoring a goal, and Dumfries' inability to cross.

Anyway 25m would be good enough for Lingard, 20 is acceptable. Less is a clearout price.
Agreed. I don't dislike Jesse in general, I just think he's a bit of a chancer that landed a contract or two he never should have and rode it out.

Pickle85

Buendia got 7 assists and 1 goal in his only PL season.

Lingard is a decent player who lost his way due to problems off the pitch which is understandable.
According to PL's own stats lingard has ten premier league assists for United in his whole time at the club. That's a pathetic stat for someone playing in the position he's often found himself.

Teja

Do you honestly think that pool of Midfielders would give you a serious and sustained title challenge..?
No, not remotely fine.

McT and Fred we've already established aren't good enough for a title challenge. Pogba won't be here after this season, and is poor in the double pivot anyway. Matic doesn't even count to the numbers, his goose is cooked. VdB has barely played a handful of games as a deeper lying central midfielder in his career, and he didn't look good there. Garner isn't good enough.
Yup I think McFred in a double pivot against the bigger teams and Pogba + McT / Fred against the lesser teams is what we'll get and I think that's good enough for a title challenge.

Matic / VdB will be fine as 4th / 5th CMs IMO. They'll play against easier European opposition, earlier stages of the league / FA cup etc. We don't need Goretzka or Kroos to win against Bournemouth in the league cup.

But we would still need 2 or 3 midfielders next season..

Matic is ancient, Pogba leaves and we are still missing a DM we need now.

So focusing on Haaland doesn't solve anything unless he is going to play literally right down the middle all game.
Agree that CM becomes a priority next season. Matic, Pogba will leave so we'll just have McFred. They should def line up a CM target, so Haaland + starting CM will be a good window.

mu4c_20le

Didn't he have some mental issues off the field? Before that he was a regular scorer. One could say that his west ham form is more normal, and the dry patch abnormal, if clubs could see past two years.

GledTheRed

I seriously can't be arsed to argue with you.

Pickle85

Didn't he have some mental issues off the field? Before that he was a regular scorer. One could say that his west ham form is more normal, and the dry patch abnormal, if clubs could see past two years.
He wasn't a regular scorer. Outside of his half season for west ham he's only been better than a 1 in 6 scorer for one season. His best return outside of hammers is eight. Aside from that he's scores 4, 4, 1, 1, 0

GledTheRed

This doesn't make any sense. I'm saying that tally is pathetic for someone that plays in an advanced midfield/wf position. are you really trying to argue he's productive?!
It's not pathetic for a guy who doesn't start games is it?

Are his most recent stats from a few months back not productive?

Red_toad

According to PL's own stats lingard has ten premier league assists for United in his whole time at the club. That's a pathetic stat for someone playing in the position he's often found himself.
And 5 for a team in a handful of game where he was played to his strengths. He doesn't really suit United's play and has been shifted out wide for United, where he's far less effective. He's a good player and would do very well at a lot of other teams.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Yup I think McFred in a double pivot against the bigger teams and Pogba + McT / Fred against the lesser teams is what we'll get and I think that's good enough for a title challenge.
Whooo, your cup of optimism runneth over.
Same MF as last season, same problems as last season..:rolleyes:

Gandalf

For those saying we can sell Lingard for 30M I am certain that this was the price we quoted to West Ham earlier in the summer to which they said no thanks. It was fairly widely reported so if clubs were willing to give us 30M then surely they would have done so at that point but instead there were no other realistic links and it has gone very quiet. In addition to the fact that it is clear nobody is offering us 30M people also seem to be forgetting that the player has to actually agree to the transfer for it to happen, Jesse seems pretty set on staying and as Barca and others are finding out there is no way to force a player to accept a move if he does not want to go.

Pickle85

And 5 for a team in a handful of game where he was played to his strengths. He doesn't really suit United's play and has been shifted out wide for United, where he's far less effective. He's a good player and would do very well at a lot of other teams.
The only way in which he doesn't suit United's play is that he's not good enough. Which is why he was shunted out wide

Last edited:

Teja

Whooo, your cup of optimism runneth over.
Same MF as last season, same problems as last season..:rolleyes:
/shrugs

We were fine against the bigger teams last season. You win the league by consistently beating the teams you're supposed to beat, not by gaining 3pts against Pool and dropping 2 against West Brom.

hobbers

Matic / VdB will be fine as 4th / 5th CMs IMO. They'll play against easier European opposition, earlier stages of the league / FA cup etc. We don't need Goretzka or Kroos to win against Bournemouth in the league cup.
McFred have already more than proven they're not good enough. Look at how abysmal our record was against big teams last season. It was disgusting. 2 wins from 12. Barely a shot on target registered in half the games. Ugly, ugly football.

We don't need worldies to beat Bournemouth but if we want to stop this run of losing to lesser sides in semi finals and finals of cup competitions we obviously will need more than Matic and VdB.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I seriously can't be arsed to argue with you.
Because I pointed out how silly it is to price Lingard at 30m because he's "a good international footballer"?

Agree that CM becomes a priority next season. Matic, Pogba will leave so we'll just have McFred. They should def line up a CM target, so Haaland + starting CM will be a good window.
Haaland is 75m + tens of millions for Raiola. I don't see us spending big again for a MF without sales next year either (with a window like this preceding it).

Might as well sell Lingard/James/Martial now that their value is high.

Alemar

McFred have already more than proven they're not good enough.
Fred now plays in the starting XI for Brazil on a regular basis. Chances are, the cornerstone of our “McFred” problem is not Fred…