Luckhurst: United prepared to move for a holding midfielder in January

Idxomer

From Luckhurst's article:

However, United rejected Milan's approach as their preference would be to recruit a midfielder ahead of a full-back and Dalot has received positive feedback from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and his coaching staff.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Somewhat disappointed if we can’t sign Trippier as he’d be a tidy bit of business I think… but central midfield is the one everyone’s concerned about so I’d rather we focus on that.
Dalot has been impressive in his Euros cameos and preseason. I’d keep him around and sign a midfielder. Midfield is still the issue. It’ll be Camavinga or Neves. Get trip on a free and sell Dalot next summer if the issue remains.

ghagua

Get in Aurelien Tchouameni for that defensive midfield role. Excellent player that will move to a bigger club soon. Ndidi is gonna be expensive if we try to prise him away from Leicester. Take a punt on Benjamin Sesko with the money that will be saved.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Somewhat disappointed if we can’t sign Trippier as he’d be a tidy bit of business I think… but central midfield is the one everyone’s concerned about so I’d rather we focus on that.
I think Trippier would be a decent addition, but it's entirely sensible if we spend any funds in Midfield.
Dalot has performed pretty well during his time on loan, and he is still only 22, so we already have good competition for Wan Bissaka, without the need to spend £20m or more on Trippier.

What's more, both our major signings Varane & Sancho will play on the Right hand side, and this should help Wan Bissaka enormously.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Not too many linked to us (that are realistic). Since we have not sold anyone, I am not sure we can afford another midfielder

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
If it's one more good signing please let it be in midfield.

AWB has improved going forward and should continue to do so with better players around him. He is making mistakes at the far post as everyone knows but he's still pretty young and that should be easy enough to correct.

If Trippier comes in as well then fine but if it's just one more we need a midfielder.

Last edited:

Giggsy13

Glad to hear we're prioritizing a midfielder. RB cover would be ideal but Dalot could do the job when needed. Shift out Lingard and Pereira and sign one of Neves, Saul of Camavinga. it really isn't all that complicated.

Gandalf

I think we are still somewhat dependent on player sales to generate funds for a third deal so that is what we need to watch, the rumours were that we have an agreement with Neves and Wolves if we want to pull the trigger with the price of 35m mentioned. So far we have no confirmed sales but the Lukaku deal nets us 4-5m sell on fee apparently and I would assume that we asked for a loan fee for Axel which for arguments sake could be around 3m so the funds are trickling in.

The deal to watch might be Madison to Arsenal as there appears to be a strong suggestion that Brendan would look to sign Jesse as a replacement and that would almost certainly give us enough to sign another player. Andreas remains in the window and I am sure we would listen to serious offers for Dalot, Williams and a few others, maybe even Bailly if Jones is fit enough to be our 4th choice CB. I am crossing my fingers for the dominos to start falling so we can get at least 1 more in.

Last edited:

HailtotheKing

Not sure about that. We've improved our squad more than anyone else so far, we'll see how things stand at the end of the window.
Yup Chelsea are gonna sign Kounde and Lukaku minimum on top of their already better squad. Note I said squad not team. So as you said, let’s see where we are come market close.

Coops73

Glad to hear we're prioritizing a midfielder. RB cover would be ideal but Dalot could do the job when needed. Shift out Lingard and Pereira and sign one of Neves, Saul of Camavinga. it really isn't all that complicated.
Why we’ve got Murtough, Fletcher et al doing their thang rather than you I’ll never know, typical shortsightedness from United as per usual.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Get in Aurelien Tchouameni for that defensive midfield role. Excellent player that will move to a bigger club soon. Ndidi is gonna be expensive if we try to prise him away from Leicester. Take a punt on Benjamin Sesko with the money that will be saved.
I’m surprised he hasn’t really been linked to us as far as I know, especially at the prices listed. Perhaps we’re just biding our time with our CM options.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Take a punt on Benjamin Sesko with the money that will be saved.
That seems like a good shout. I hear he's good at finding deep space, can play as a 9, and could even be made captain after a few seasons.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Is Brozovic good? With Inter having their fire sale, an experienced midfielder on the cheap a bit would be okay.

Giggsy13

Why we’ve got Murtough, Fletcher et al doing their thang rather than you I’ll never know, typical shortsightedness from United as per usual.
I don't understand why they don't just add the midfielder we want first and worry about sales later in the window. Our rumoured asking price for Pereira is absolutely comical and likely unrealistic for Lingard as well. Even if we get 20 to 25 million for both, its great business. It's so perplexing and as you said, short-sighted.

Giggsy13

Is Brozovic good? With Inter having their fire sale, an experienced midfielder on the cheap a bit would be okay.
This one makes a lot of sense. Spurs are pushing for Martinez, so why not make a move for Brozovic, a player Inter may be more willing to sell in light of already sanctioning the Lukaku sale. The optics of selling both Martinez and Lukaku is terrible, no matter how financially strapped they are. Get Brozovic for Matic or Lingard and a fee.

Jacob

It makes sense that focus is midfield if Dalot is staying (Trippier not coming). Don't think anything will happen until the last week though when the chips are down.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I don't understand why they don't just add the midfielder we want first and worry about sales later in the window. Our rumoured asking price for Pereira is absolutely comical and likely unrealistic for Lingard as well. Even if we get 20 to 25 million for both, its great business. It's so perplexing and as you said, short-sighted.
We can't sell and the Glazers don't want their dividends to be affected

M Bison

Supports
York City
What if we can’t sell them though? We’d then be stuck with an inflated squad and wasting money on wages for players who never play.

Waiting for a sale is the responsible thing to do.

Judas

Open to offers
It's pretty tragic how much of our deadwood we still painfully can't shift. Surely some money is better than none, just to get them and their wages off the books?

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
What if we can’t sell them though? We’d then be stuck with an inflated squad and wasting money on wages for players who never play.
We could easily sell Lingard after his loan spell at West Ham, if we really wanted to.
They'd be half a dozen takers in the Premier League alone.
Dan James too, there would be takers, no doubt.

Giggsy13

Waiting for a sale is the responsible thing to do.
I think it’s a product of unreasonable demands for our players. Asking for £20 million for Periera is completely unreasonable. The club should be more concerned about getting deadweight like Pereira off the books.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I think it’s a product of unreasonable demands for our players. Asking for £20 million for Periera is completely unreasonable. The club should be more concerned about getting deadweight like Pereira off the books.
Have we actually said £20m though? Joe Willock has just gone for more than that, so on the face of it, even if we are asking for that, is it really unreasonable?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I can't see us signing a midfielder if Pogba is staying this summer.