Lucy Staniforth | injury update

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
First signing of the season!

Manchester United is delighted to announce the signing of Lucy Staniforth on a two-year deal until the end of the 2021/22 season.
The 27-year-old midfielder joins the club following the conclusion of her contract at Birmingham City Women, where she has spent the last two seasons.

Staniforth has made 16 senior appearances for the England women’s national team and was part of the squad for the recent 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup and 2020 SheBelieves Cup.
Lucy Staniforth said: “I’m really happy to have signed with Manchester United; it’s the biggest club in the world and I’m so proud to be part of it. I’ve been impressed with the performances from last season and the club’s future ambitions. I wanted to come here to win trophies and make history with this club, and I’m just excited to get started.”

Casey Stoney said: “I’m thrilled to have Lucy join United; she is a fantastic player who will add great depth to the strong midfield department we have built at the club. Lucy has so much experience in the women’s game, having made her senior debut at 16 years old, and I know she can utilise that experience for us both on and off the pitch.
“We’re really looking forward to working with her ahead of the new season.”

Lightbringer

Nice! Is she better than our current midfielders? Do we expect her to start?

Any news on the spanish players that there were rumours about btw?

muller

In my opinion, she’s similar level to others, Jackie G still a little ahead of others.

But from the outset it seems like a good signing, from what little I know she’s a very intelligent player.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

Not surprising to see her signed - she's an established England international and she was ready to leave Birmingham. On the face of it, midfield is really one of our stronger areas in terms of first choice players and backups, I think Casey just decided that she was too good an opportunity to miss. Will she start? I'd view her as part of the "first 14" who'll rotate into the starting lineup. I suspect it'll depend on the formation we use for a particular opponent.

On the Spanish players, there's no definite news yet, but Ona Batlle is still being linked to us. Some speculation that she won't travel to us until the 14 day quarantine requirement for passengers from Spain is removed - that change happens tomorrow :smirk:

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Not surprising to see her signed - she's an established England international and she was ready to leave Birmingham. On the face of it, midfield is really one of our stronger areas in terms of first choice players and backups, I think Casey just decided that she was too good an opportunity to miss. Will she start? I'd view her as part of the "first 14" who'll rotate into the starting lineup. I suspect it'll depend on the formation we use for a particular opponent.

On the Spanish players, there's no definite news yet, but Ona Batlle is still being linked to us. Some speculation that she won't travel to us until the 14 day quarantine requirement for passengers from Spain is removed - that change happens tomorrow :smirk:
One article I read said she is more of an attacking midfielder. I can't imagine that she'll replace Groenen in the starting XI too often, but how would they line up together in midfield? Would Staniforth be playing behind Groenen or more next to her?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
One article I read said she is more of an attacking midfielder. I can't imagine that she'll replace Groenen in the starting XI too often, but how would they line up together in midfield? Would Staniforth be playing behind Groenen or more next to her?
How Groenen/Staniforth combine is going to be the big question for the season really. I can see us going into some games with Zelem or Ladd behind them to break down teams, other times maybe we'll play all four. I think midfield was an area where we were already quite strong, so hopefully she'll give us different ways to play.

Her video and photoshoot today was filmed at The Cliff training ground. Two years ago United said they were refurbishing the Cliff to become the women's team's training base but then that got put off with talk of extending Carrington instead. Meanwhile, the women have been training on an open pitch at Leigh - will this be the season when they get rehoused?