Luis Campos : The man behind the Monaco story.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Meet the Monaco transfer guru who signed Mbappe, Bernardo, Bakayoko and more to build football's most exciting team
They are the neutral’s favourites for the Champions League, the most exciting team of young talents that European football has seen in years. AS Monaco’s progress to a European Cup semi-final, their dismantling of Manchester City, Tottenham Hotspur and Borussia Dortmund along the way, their ascent to the summit of a French League most assumed had been purchased for the foreseeable future by Paris Saint-Germain’s Qatari petrodollars, is the story of this season’s Champions League.

It is a story that contradicts one of modern football’s received wisdoms – that monetary power determines on-field success. A story of how Monaco constructed a team that could be crowned the best in Europe next month while selling its most coveted footballers. Of how financial circumstance and Fair Play regulations led Monaco to become the first club in history to secure over €200m in transfer fees in a single season, while simultaneously creating a squad both more successful and more valuable than the one they sold off.

The principal figure behind a recruitment strategy that furnished Monaco with footballers of the calibre of Kylian Mbappe, Bernardo Silva, Thomas Lemar, Fabinho, Tiemoue Bakayoko and Benjamin Mendy is a Portuguese sports professor who coached in his domestic league before being hired by Jose Mourinho as his senior scout at Real Madrid. Four years ago, Luis Campos became Monaco’s technical director following Dmitry Rybolovlev’s purchase of a majority stake in the club.

After a final summer window advising Monaco, Campos joined Lille as an advisor to their new owner last October. The 52-year-old rarely talks about his work in public, but ahead of Monaco’s Champions League semi-final with Juventus, Campos granted an exclusive interview to Yahoo Sport to explain how the principality club travelled so far, so quickly, while flaunting football’s conventional wisdom.
Luis Campos: I left Jose Mourinho’s technical team at Real Madrid and arrived in Monaco at [vice-president] Vadim Vasilyev’s invitation in 2013, the year the club returned to Ligue 1. The initial project was of high financial investment, leading to the signing of players like [Radamel] Falcao, James Rodriguez and Joao Moutinho."I left Jose Mourinho’s technical team at Real Madrid and arrived in Monaco at [vice-president] Vadim Vasilyev’s invitation in 2013, the year the club returned to Ligue 1. The initial project was of high financial investment, leading to the signing of players like [Radamel] Falcao, James Rodriguez and Joao Moutinho.

My role required a rebuilding of a club that was not prepared for the highest level. The reorganisation of areas such as the medical department, training department, team management, the study of opponents and the implementation of a new player scouting methodology were the first steps in the architecture of this new Monaco. [Claudio] Ranieiri was the coach and I was able to count on the collaboration of an exceptional expert named Riccardo Pecini.
Following an extraordinary second-place League finish, Ranieri and Pecini left and another restructuring had to be made. The patronage investment was over. It was impossible for Mr Rybolovlev to continue to put many millions into the club. We would have to build success in another way, and in this respect I feel like the architect of a process that ended for me with the construction of this superteam of 16/17.

Yahoo Sport: The Monaco project changed radically to one in which you were asked to raise hundreds of millions in transfer fees and replace sold stars with young talents. How did you go about achieving that new goal?"

Luis Campos: From one moment to the other the ability to invest in confirmed talents disappeared and I saw many people despair. If we wanted to continue at the highest level, we had to radically change policy and find young talents, put them in a good showcase, and then sell to make strong financial contributions to sustain the project."

I stopped living day-to-day at the club, and began living in airplanes, hotels and stadiums all around the world – which harmed me later. Fortunately, Vadim relied on me and my choices. Only twice did he hesitate because he listened to others and lost the business of two current superstars, but that served as an example for the immense trust he then deposited in me.
We first built a team minus Falcao and James Rodriguez that reached the quarter-finals of the Champions League in 2015, then quickly sold seven starters, raising the largest income from transfer fees in the history of football. Vadim contributed a lot with his tremendous negotiating skills and diplomacy, but our ability to recruit well at low prices was decisive.

Yahoo Sport: You are regarded as one of football’s leading talent spotters. What are the secrets of your methods? How do you achieve such success in finding players when so many clubs struggle to sign well?"

Luis Campos: With a lot of work, but also with the support and help of the extraordinary team I was able to put together. Plus the implementation of a method I devised that does not require any more than six super scouts, a good organisation and, of course, a lot of competence and dedication."
Not everyone can be a good football player, nor a good doctor or engineer. So not everyone can have this ability to identify good players who are able to join and form a good team.

What they know about Monaco is a complex process that comes not just from the choice of good players, but also from our ability to predict who will interact well with who. It’s like forming a jigsaw puzzle. The right pieces, in the right places.

Yahoo Sport: Detailed performance statistics, computer-based analytical methods and algorithms have become increasingly popular in modern football with clubs like Liverpool granting them priority in their recruitment decisions. Do you employ any of these methods? And what do you think of them?"

Luis Campos: All the data and methods you mention are very important, but if you do not know how to read and interpret them, they are definitely useless. The sensitivity and ability to read this data is critical. But I believe much more in what our eyes and our brain are capable of transmitting to us than in any computer in the world. The computer and statistical data offer us an essential, but not decisive aid."

For me, live observation is fundamental. For example, a small detail such as observing how a player warms up before a game or coming on as a substitute reveals much of his character. And character is an essential marker in detecting a top talent. There are many who can see and analyse players, but there are very few who can project what they see into the future.

The Portuguese Nobel laureate Jose Saramago said, ‘If you can look, see. If you can see, notice’. You can look, you can see, but not everyone can notice!
Yahoo Sport: Monaco have already gone further in this Champions League than most expected them to. What chance do you give them of winning it at Cardiff?"
Luis Campos: If the management is done well, the chances are real and serious. After Real Madrid this is the team with the highest number of talented players."

Yahoo Sport: Monaco’s success has brought huge interest from richer clubs. How many of the squad do you expect to move on this summer and how much money do you think the club will raise in transfer fees?"
Luis Campos: I think a lot of players will leave the club, and I think a new record will be established. The great clubs are not sleeping and know the quality that exists there."
If Monaco doesn’t continue to follow the elaborate project of financial support created three years ago it will quickly collapse if it has a bad year of sporting results because its other revenues – ticketing, merchandising, TV rights etc – are insufficient. And that is a risk that the club can not afford

Yahoo Sport: Which younger players at Monaco should we look to take the places of those who are sold?"
Luis Campos: It all depends on how many players the club buys this summer, but there are still many pearls of my time that not only come from the formation like [Tristan] Muyumba or [Irvin] Cardona, or are loaned to other clubs like Adama Traore, [Gabriel] Boschilia, [Alan] Saint-Maximin and Rony Lopes."

Yahoo Sport: Jose Mourinho hired you as his tactical and talent scout at Madrid. How was he to work with?&

Luis Campos: Working with Jose was the best thing that could happen in my professional life. With him I realised the value of rigour and requirement. I definitely grew up in the area of scouting opponents and players. The time spent with him and the top talents of Real Madrid allowed me to perceive and begin to identify what the great players have different from the normal players

Yahoo Sport: You’ve had offers of work from Premier League clubs yet not taken any yet. Do you see yourself working for an English club in the future?"
Luis Campos: It may happen, but I think most English clubs do not know how to recruit for an issue that I almost think is cultural as almost everyone makes the same mistake. English clubs really, really like top attacking players, yet to a large extent make them play alongside medium-quality defences. And that, in my opinion, explains their relative lack of success in European competitions despite them spending exorbitant sums in recent years."

Successfully building a good team project always involves the ability of players to relate and ‘match’ to each other. In the Premier League there is a big difference between great talents, and the medium quality of support for the same offensive talent. Most teams lack great defenders, and defensive midfielders.
So I do not know if they would understand me culturally. The great forwards who are already in the Premier League would be even better if they had the support of great full backs, for example. And how many great full backs are there in England? Right now, maybe just Tottenham’s.

Yahoo Sport: Which of all the signings in your career are you most proud of?

Luis Campos: Honestly, I cannot tell you. Forgive my immodesty, but there are so many and it’s hard to say that one is the best. Some of the players who are most in demand from this Monaco side underwent extremely complicated processes, not only in their previous clubs but also within Monaco itself. So again, the insight and confidence that Vadim held in me were decisive."

From when we had to find new solutions after the sale of the first batch of signings in 2014/15 and that first sales record, the football department worked by itself. I had to return to the road, and I started to realise that although only the names I suggested such as Mendy, Sidibe, Glik and Jemerson were of interest that my role within the club would never be the same again. The constant travelling was hard on me and my family so I decided to ask Vadim to let me go. And I do not regret it.

My cycle was over, the club was prepared with a superb second batch of great players, the organisation was excellent even in the academy where we won the Coupe Gambardella [for French under-19 sides], so I am proud to see and observe the current results. I hope and wish that they will be able to rebuild a good future after they achieve a world sales record again this summer.

I don’t want to appear arrogant but I assure you I will create other ‘masterpieces’ like this in my career.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
June 2019:

Manchester United set to restructure and hire a Director of Football and Monaco mastermind Luis Campos is their number one target.

izec

good interview, liked this part

Yahoo Sport: You’ve had offers of work from Premier League clubs yet not taken any yet. Do you see yourself working for an English club in the future?"

Luis Campos: It may happen, but I think most English clubs do not know how to recruit for an issue that I almost think is cultural as almost everyone makes the same mistake. English clubs really, really like top attacking players, yet to a large extent make them play alongside medium-quality defences. And that, in my opinion, explains their relative lack of success in European competitions despite them spending exorbitant sums in recent years."

Successfully building a good team project always involves the ability of players to relate and ‘match’ to each other. In the Premier League there is a big difference between great talents, and the medium quality of support for the same offensive talent. Most teams lack great defenders, and defensive midfielders.
So I do not know if they would understand me culturally. The great forwards who are already in the Premier League would be even better if they had the support of great full backs, for example. And how many great full backs are there in England? Right now, maybe just Tottenham’s.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
good interview, liked this part
Very much spot in isn't it? Again you have to question why this is happening when PL is full of foreign managers than English managers.

Managers like Jose, Pep, Conte, Klopp all managed at highest level elsewhere, so they can't be making the same mistakes like others isn't it?

redsunited

Yahoo Sport: Monaco’s success has brought huge interest from richer clubs. How many of the squad do you expect to move on this summer and how much money do you think the club will raise in transfer fees?"
Luis Campos: I think a lot of players will leave the club, and I think a new record will be established.
Liked this part. It means more than one player is available for interested teams

pascell

Great interview, thanks for posting! Interesting that he mentions that PL teams like buying top attacking talent without backing it equally with quality defensive players, yet that's our defence has kept our unbeaten run going and kept us in the European League thus far (don't wann jynx us!)

Does anyone know what his role at Lille is, or is it exactly the same as at Monaco?

It also sounds like there's going to be quite a few players leaving Monaco this summer, he mentions they'll make more money than in the summer of 2015 which they made £75m according to Transfermarkt.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Interesting guy. Wonder if Utd could attract him in some capacity.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
It's funny seeing how Luís Campos was able to reinvent himself after failing pretty badly as a manager/coach. He was once mocked for being responsible for two relegations in the same year (he managed both Setúbal and Varzim in 2002/03 and both were relegated). Now he is a respected Director of football with good reputation. Good for him i guess, just stay away from the bench.

Fosu-Mens

Regarding a potential DoF(if we are so lucky to appoint one), this man should be among the top candidates. Hopefully his "project" with Lille is over and he wants a new challenge.

SparkedIntoLife

Sorry for the random bump but the relative lack of mention this guy gets in association with a potential DoF type role at United absolutely astounds me. He did a phenomenal job at Monaco and has turned Lille around dramatically (albeit they have started this season slowly, which is to be expected after Pepe's departure). Victor Osimhen already looks like the next top emerging star who will be multiples of what they bought him for.

Can someone clear up some mysteries around this guy? Specifically, why is he at Lille and not a far bigger job after Monaco? Why is he flying so far below the radar unlike Monchi who is hyped beyond belief?

The only argument I can maybe understand is that he is unproven with absolutely elite clubs and his style befits clubs who can make cheap gambles without being overcharged. I guess his small scouting team would require us to have too much overhaul in personnel. However, he's signed loads of quality players who were relatively unknown, he identifies bargains and sells high. I don't see how this cannot at least partially translate at a higher level, especially given our current need for a revamp in several positions.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Sorry for the random bump but the relative lack of mention this guy gets in association with a potential DoF type role at United absolutely astounds me. He did a phenomenal job at Monaco and has turned Lille around dramatically (albeit they have started this season slowly, which is to be expected after Pepe's departure). Victor Osimhen already looks like the next top emerging star who will be multiples of what they bought him for.

Can someone clear up some mysteries around this guy? Specifically, why is he at Lille and not a far bigger job after Monaco? Why is he flying so far below the radar unlike Monchi who is hyped beyond belief?

The only argument I can maybe understand is that he is unproven with absolutely elite clubs and his style befits clubs who can make cheap gambles without being overcharged. I guess his small scouting team would require us to have too much overhaul in personnel. However, he's signed loads of quality players who were relatively unknown, he identifies bargains and sells high. I don't see how this cannot at least partially translate at a higher level, especially given our current need for a revamp in several positions.
Well tbh he has a strong relationship with Jorge Mendes, so it’s not as if everyone Lille or previously Monaco has signed it was all done by his scouting network, but tbf those big football agents this days have bigger scouting networks than a lot of clubs. Don’t know how it would work at a club like United, but I guess that worse than it is atm wouldn’t be imo.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Sounds perfect for the Glazers actually, how have they not went in for him?

Acquire Me

Regarding a potential DoF(if we are so lucky to appoint one), this man should be among the top candidates. Hopefully his "project" with Lille is over and he wants a new challenge.
He just makes to much sense. Not going to happen.

Fosu-Mens

He just makes to much sense. Not going to happen.
Same as signing a midfielder during the summer. It makes sense, thus the likelyhood that the club is going to do it is low.

Still, given that he has given the interview and fairly openly states what must happen at the club, one can hope that he does this for a reason. One can only hope.

reddev3

Sounds perfect for the Glazers actually, how have they not went in for him?
There is an interview with him on sky sports right now where he says he would like to work with a big club after Lille. I actually thought the interview was the reason for the bump.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ampos-the-transfer-chief-with-the-midas-touch

He is still bringing in the hits while at Lille with Pepe and now Osimhen, Osimhen is about 20 or something and he can't stop scoring/assisting.

Acquire Me

Same as signing a midfielder during the summer. It makes sense, thus the likelyhood that the club is going to do it is low.

Still, given that he has given the interview and fairly openly states what must happen at the club, one can hope that he does this for a reason. One can only hope.
I hope it’s something going on. It would lift everyone. Not holding my breath though.

Jibbs

How I wish we had him along with Mourinho in 2013.

SparkedIntoLife

I felt his interview with Sky Sports was a bit of a come and get me plea. I'd take him ASAP before we even do anything with Ole. His record is sensational. I'm sure he could identify great, affordable players to rebuild our squad and would do a far better job of offloading the deadwood than the Woodward/Judge combo.

He spoke about wanting to work with Mourinho again (after he was a scout under him at Real) which would concern me slightly. I would hope he can find a more attacking, youth focused and less selfish head coach. Although I do think Mourinho with Campos' leadership is a far different prospect to Mourinho under Woodward's.

Sign him up, United. Do it now.

humdinger

With his background we should consider bringing him in and just letting him get on with it. He’s vastly experienced and has done great work with small budgets.

I don’t trust us to do something this sensible though.

Fosu-Mens

How I wish we had him along with Mourinho in 2013.
IIRC he prefered possessionbased football as i think he stated in one of the links in this thread.

With his background we should consider bringing him in and just letting him get on with it. He’s vastly experienced and has done great work with small budgets.

I don’t trust us to do something this sensible though.
Having been a coach, manager, analyst and scout he should have the experience to know every level of a club. And he worked at RM for some years so it is not like "Manchester United is to big a step up" argument that is tossed around.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's been linked with us and has said that United like every club need a DoF/technical director. Apparently he is obsessive in his scouting of players and has done a wonderful job at Monaco and has started well as Lille. We should be looking at people like this to upgrade our structure. Having someone that obsessively supporting the manager would be terrific. Combine this with a top coach and we would do well given the resources we have.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

How old is the interview? If it's recent he isn't very knowledgeable. City, Liverpool even Leicester have got much better fullbacks at their disposal.

RooneyLegend

He's been linked with us and has said that United like every club need a DoF/technical director. Apparently he is obsessive in his scouting of players and has done a wonderful job at Monaco and has started well as Lille. We should be looking at people like this to upgrade our structure. Having someone that obsessively supporting the manager would be terrific. Combine this with a top coach and we would do well given the resources we have.
Im far more interested in the coach he'd hire should he get the job.