Luis Gomes | Reports: United agree first refusal for 'the next Figo'

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

We’ve had decent success ratio with players from Sporting.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No idea who he is but I love how pro active and open minded we are when it comes to signing young players.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Would wait for a better source than Mirror for this. Also seems a very puzzling type of deal we've with them.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Having Bruno at the club will practically guarantee us first option on any Sporting players which is nice :drool:

BlahRules

We’ve had decent success ratio with players from Sporting.
Should we not have a clip of him dribbling, passing, and shooting. Looks like a good striker from that clip. The player who made crossed the ball looks good.

neilv93

Refreshing to see how on-the-ball we are with signing up the best youngsters in the world, an excellent recruitment model. I just wish that model could also be applied to first-team-ready players a la Sancho et al too!

SATA

Next Figo? So he is a right winger? We are stockpiling on right wingers after not having one since Nani!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ole needs the likes of Grealish, Upamecano, Sancho + possibly Mbappe and Neymar to succeed. Not these sort of signings. We are setting him to fail.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Ole needs the likes of Grealish, Upamecano, Sancho + possibly Mbappe and Neymar to succeed. Not these sort of signings. We are setting him to fail.
Ole probably won't be here by the time this Figo guy makes the first team. That's the reality of modern football.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We should set up a direct debit with sporting, eventually we'll spend it and will end up cheaper in the long run.

Gasolin

Hmm... but no, I am sure Ole is doing a great job with Greenwood and Williams so no?

BarstoolProphet

This deal tells you why we are where we are at the moment. We should be focusing on getting the new Messi, instead we are getting the new Figo. Shambles.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Brilliant diving header for that goal, the Club now seems to be more proactive than ever in signing the next big thing.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I have a hard time believing this “deal” for a couple of reasons.

Besides the fact the lad just signed his first professional contract he is no where near getting to the first team yet.

Also that report talks about s “14M” offer on him.

Sporting allegedly already got a “15M” offer from atlético which was rejected so why would they take less?

Furthermore why agree on a “14M” fee being decided before he has even kicked a ball for the first team. So your telling me if he truly is the “new figo” and is setting the league a light Sporting will settle for 14M when they can get much more?

I think the only truth to the report is United is probably scouting him as are other clubs but I don’t believe any “fee” is in place should United want to get him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I have a hard time believing this “deal” for a couple of reasons.

Besides the fact the lad just signed his first professional contract he is no where near getting to the first team yet.

Also that report talks about s “14M” offer on him.

Sporting allegedly already got a “15M” offer from atlético which was rejected so why would they take less?

Furthermore why agree on a “14M” fee being decided before he has even kicked a ball for the first team. So your telling me if he truly is the “new figo” and is setting the league a light Sporting will settle for 14M when they can get much more?

I think the only truth to the report is United is probably scouting him as are other clubs but I don’t believe any “fee” is in place should United want to get him.
I think it’s saying we’ve offered £14m for him right now, but also we’ve asked for a first refusal, should Sporting ever sell.

SportingCP96

Supports
I think it’s saying we’ve offered £14m for him right now, but also we’ve asked for a first refusal, should Sporting ever sell.
Oh I probably read that wrong then. I understood it as they have the option of first refusal with offer being 14M.

From reports in Portugal Atlético offered 15M which was rejected.

cyberman

Last edited:

SportingCP96

Supports
It's saying we've agreed a first refusal deal for £14m

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/man-utd-target-wonderkid-figo-22864531

which is almost certainly horse-shit isn't it?
That how I interpreted it which is why I thought it’s absolute bullocks.

Why agree on an alleged fee Before you even know how good he will be.

We wound potentially miss out on a big payday and get 14M. Now I know Varandas is capable of such idiotic moves so I won’t leave it out the realm of possibility..

SportingCP96

Supports
Id imagine it would be negotiated upwards. Imagine we set it at 25m or something stupid for a kid, it leaves us wide open for some Dortmund shit.
There should be a lot o f good faith between the clubs by now
I would hope the clube have good enough relations for some deal like this to be in place.

Sporting and United are 2 peas in a pod at this point.

sp_107

Can someone explain this please

We have agreed first refusal for 14M, this means if some other club make an offer with 14M then we should match it ?

What if we dont want to match that 14M ? do we still need to pay 14M to his parent club?

what if other club make an offer of 25M in future and we dont want to sign him? still we need to pay 14M to his parent club?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Can someone explain this please

We have agreed first refusal for 14M, this means if some other club make an offer with 14M then we should match it ?

What if we dont want to match that 14M ? do we still need to pay 14M to his parent club?

what if other club make an offer of 25M in future and we dont want to sign him? still we need to pay 14M to his parent club?
That’s not what first refusal means I’m afraid.

First refusal means we have the privilege of having him first at that price before he’s offered to others if we decide not to take up the offer

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Great. Also, Figo, what a player he was.
On a side note. When Sir Bobby played in a Figo testimonial, Sir Bobby was running the show in midfield. Figo asked SAF how old he was. SAF replied 60. Figo then remarked that he must have been some player when he was young.
Sir Alex just replied that he was an unbelievable player

Cloud7

Brilliant diving header for that goal, the Club now seems to be more proactive than ever in signing the next big thing.
The club took that thread that one guy made about 'signing the next Messi' very seriously, and have been doing their best ever since

Red_toad

That’s not what first refusal means I’m afraid.

First refusal means we have the privilege of having him first at that price before he’s offered to others if we decide not to take up the offer
At United it means we're considering sending out a memo to possibly warm up the fax in preparation for a bid we may wish to make at some point once, it's been considered and agreed by all parties to be slightly below the selling clubs minimum sale value.

We've now gotten 3 very young right wingers, unless he's exceptional I don't think the club will be looking to buy.