Luis Gomes | Reports: United agree first refusal for 'the next Figo'

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We're going for global domination.......in 5 years time it seems.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I can admit I have not seen enough of Luis Gomes to give you lot a full run down of what I feel his potential is or My thoughts and feelings on his ability and play. I have not been able to catch many games of the U15 and U16 games so some of the players on those teams I know more so by name as opposed to what I have actually seen.

From what I know he had 8 goals in 18 games last season and trainers at the club think highly of him.

To my Knowledge one of the players everyone is very excited about is actually Joelson Fernandes younger brother who is supposed to be better then his older brother.

I will try to catch some more games or gather up more information so that I can relay that to all of you guys here.

STYLOISRED

I would hope the clube have good enough relations for some deal like this to be in place.

Sporting and United are 2 peas in a pod at this point.
CR7, Nani and Bruno. Honestly i would take any player from sporting at this stage. Who plays CB for you guys? Are they any good?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Smart move, negotiations for Bruno took too long. Saves the club a lot of time and moneys.

Developing him into actual Figo is another thing...

cyberman

We're going for global domination.......in 5 years time it seems.
In 5 years it will be harder to sign kids from Europe. It seems very forward thinking.
Maybe this deal in place means we can get around red tape when you lot fully leave the EU? Hence the smalll fee?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
In 5 years it will be harder to sign kids from Europe. It seems very forward thinking.
Maybe this deal in place means we can get around red tape when you lot fully leave the EU? Hence the small fee?
I have no issue with this transfer approach. Do find it strange though given our managers don't seem to last 3 seasons anymore and given we don't have a DOF who is making these calls?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I like sporting, it’s the only team we seem to have a very good relationship with, long may it continue.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I have no issue with this transfer approach. Do find it strange though given our managers don't seem to last 3 seasons anymore and given we don't have a DOF who is making these calls?
Which actually means Ed is just signing off the money (as he has clarified multiple times).

Chief123

Should we not have a clip of him dribbling, passing, and shooting. Looks like a good striker from that clip. The player who made crossed the ball looks good.
I was thinking the same thing. Him heading the ball in brilliantly from a cross was probably the least “Luis Figo” resemblance he could have done. :lol:

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
CR7, Nani and Bruno. Honestly i would take any player from sporting at this stage. Who plays CB for you guys? Are they any good?
Gonçalo Inácio and Eduardo Quaresma (both 18) are promising CB who play in the first team.

Nuno Mendes is our diamond at left Back (18) he is Special.

^
This is a left back scoring a goal like that.

We then have the likes of Daniel Bragança (20) and Joelson Fernandes (17) Who are other future stars.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Great club Sporting. United should continue to keep a good relationship with them.

sp_107

That’s not what first refusal means I’m afraid.

First refusal means we have the privilege of having him first at that price before he’s offered to others if we decide not to take up the offer
That means we have this privilege without paying any money to Lisbon for now even some parking money like 1 or 2 miillions ? and they should inform us if they receive any other bid ?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
That means we have this privilege without paying any money to Lisbon for now even some parking money like 1 or 2 miillions ? and they should inform us if they receive any other bid ?
The bid needs to start at 14m if the reports are to be believed. If Utd want him then the agreement is that they pay 14m. If another club comes in with a higher bid then if there is an agreement Utd need to be informed first.

I doubt Utd have paid an instalment. Not even sure that’s legal. Have to research that one

TsuWave

"Next Figo" and the highlight clip is a diving header instead of dribbling, passing etc? Come on internet.

Mark Pawelek

Maybe Marcel Bout who has been chief scout since October 2016? "Head of Global Scouting"

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
"Next Figo" and the highlight clip is a diving header instead of dribbling, passing etc? Come on internet.
I’m sure he’s been called the next Figo because of other factors other than one clip.
Hes a kid at the end of the day. There’s not going to be loads of film

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Maybe Marcel Bout who has been chief scout since October 2016? "Head of Global Scouting"
People forget we have Lawlor and Bout amongst others who make the calls on prospective youth players which has very little to do with the manager at first team level.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We have a recruitment team making these calls. The absence of a person with the job title ‘Director of Football’ doesn’t mean the duties are going ignored.
Which actually means Ed is just signing off the money (as he has clarified multiple times).
Means nothing of the sort, which he and others have clarified multiple times.

SATA

So is this true or not? Sounds like a load of nonsense like the Serbian kid we were said to be allegedly buying him in the recently concluded transfer window?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
A year ago there was an article saying that we had started to use data when making decisions on who we buy.

Whilst it's not going to be perfect and not every player is going to come out golden - I do like what I see.

When I look at players like Van de Beek, Bruno Fernandes or maybe even Wan Bissaka's one vs one defensive ability then i can see how the data has helped us influence some of our transfers.

I think it would be the same with the younger ones too (oir new young RW's for example).

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Not even half way through the first page and someone has to mention Ole. This is getting pretty old
If we want ole to succeed then we have to keep spending big. 200m during the pandemic period seem fair. Else we are setting him to fail

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I love this approach to transfer. Similar to our Other youth signing we made this window. It makes the continuous splashing of millions of pounds for world class talent pointless. As long as we keep these players and properly develop them, then in two years time, they can be ready for first team football.

lysglimt

Scout
As much wrong as we seem to be doing with transfers at first team level - as much right we are doing at U18-level.

This is so correct - get the biggest talents if possible

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
We have a recruitment team making these calls. The absence of a person with the job title ‘Director of Football’ doesn’t mean the duties are going ignored.

Means nothing of the sort, which he and others have clarified multiple times.
Well, frustrated fans can atleast stop blaming him for recruiting then. The general complaint was , he doesn't know who we need.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ole needs the likes of Grealish, Upamecano, Sancho + possibly Mbappe and Neymar to succeed. Not these sort of signings. We are setting him to fail.
Don't worry, Ole will be long gone by the time this kid gets anywhere near even the bench :lol:

jesperjaap

Gonçalo Inácio and Eduardo Quaresma (both 18) are promising CB who play in the first team.

Nuno Mendes is our diamond at left Back (18) he is Special.

^
This is a left back scoring a goal like that.

We then have the likes of Daniel Bragança (20) and Joelson Fernandes (17) Who are other future stars.
Have to say when there were the Telles and Regulion links and mentions of a third option, I was convinced it was Mendes after a few links and convinced he was the main target. Have to say, only seen him play once and that was enough to convince me he really could become some player. Was why I was actually disappointed we signed Telles, sure we got linked WIth Eduardo Quaresma in the summer too

Castia

Only Figo? Should have gone for the next Messi instead.

choccy77

United's new visionary tactic......buy loads of young players across Europe so they can sell them at 25 to recoup all the money they wasted since Ed took over and ensure a great dividend each year.

RedDevil@84

I don't understand the 14M clause. If a club comes and says they will pay 20M for him, would Sporting still be forced to ask United if they want him for 14M?
Why would they sign such a deal?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Well, frustrated fans can atleast stop blaming him for recruiting then. The general complaint was , he doesn't know who we need.
They probably should. And he probably doesn’t know who we need tbh. The hope would be, however, that the manager and the recruitment team do, as it is their job to know, not so much the CEOs. Woodward is primarily a business man.