Luis Nani | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

surf

Nani and Rooney are our best and most versatile attackers. And, like Raoul said, Nani is still improving. I don't see any advantage in giving him up to raise cash for a midfielder. And why this talk about Nani being sold rather than Valencia (not that he should leave, either)?

surf

Berbatov is the one who may struggle to fit in with the new architecture of 3.1 GHz, industrious, versatile forwards.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
So matter of fact Pogue, you know this how?

SAF has dropped both players for the other during spells of their United careers.
Well, exactly. He has no clear favourite - and Valencia is the most recent to get the nod - so I don't know how anyone can say he'd sell Valencia before he'd sell Nani.

Hopefully he never has to make that decision. We'd lose an awful lot if either of them left our squad.

Name Changed

weso26
Well, exactly. He has no clear favourite - and Valencia is the most recent to get the nod - so I don't know how anyone can say he'd sell Valencia before he'd sell Nani.

Hopefully he never has to make that decision. We'd lose an awful lot if either of them left our squad.
Exactly.

I'm always right

I don't think he said he would, it was just the poster's opinion, one that I also agree with.

If we "had" to sell one then given the choice it'd be Tony every time for me. Thankfully though we don't have to sell any.

If it got us Sneijder though, I'd consider selling either, and I LOVE Nani. I'm just so desperate for us to beef up our midfield.

MacMUFC

Hmmm. Think i'd have Nani over Valencia too, tbh. Recent team selections have no bearing on what Fergie would do, because there are too many variables, i.e what qualities a particular player brings against the opposition. Its like saying Ferguson would sell Nani before Park.

Nani's got more in his locker and will continue to improve.

AttackingFlair

Ideally you need both. Sneijder | another deeper M | Carrick/Fletch.

That 'missing' piece #2 in midfield should/could be anderson. Perhaps. This coming season is "make or break" from the lad. Otherwise, we'll have to go to the market for two midfielders.

Sneijder isn't as '2nd striker' ish as van der vaart is for example.

As for wazza and the #10, why can't be play false 9 a la messi? He's done it before as he's dropped deep. Forget europe, but in the league when we played ronnie, tevez, and wayne together, wayne would drop false 9. Does having iniesta stop messi from being at the 'tip' of the midfield tons of times?

If you want to shoehorn hernandez as the cetnral striker, then wayne will have to play wide left. I agree, he struggles with this and can't be as flexible as someone like eto'o though wayne is just as naturally gifted if not moreso.

Ideally I'd like to see this:

Nani------Wayne-----Sanchez or Wayne----Hernandez---Nani/Sanchez

with a midfield of:

Sneijder, Ando/new signing, Carrick

Mind you, this doesn't have to be done ALL at once this off season. However over the course of two summer windows, I'd like the team to be able to go to this lineup for europe if fergie wants to win it back within 3 years.
Getting that 'missing piece #2' is far more important and more needed than removing our best player from his best position.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
No good when you play Barca though.
He's no good against Barca because our CM is cack and we have to rely on 'quantity' players to chase the ball whenever we lose possession of it. We need Nani. He's the closest thing we have to Messi.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He's no good against Barca because our CM is cack and we have to rely on 'quantity' players to chase the ball whenever we lose possession of it. We need Nani. He's the closest thing we have to Messi.
Valencia was very poor in almost every department - had not much to do with our CM.

Nani is a brilliant player and he has been consistently good (if not excellent) this season. People seem to have short memories, but he saved our asses plenty of times and played a huge part to our success (along with Vidic and before January, Berbatov). To sell him would make us weaker - no matter who we get

devilish

Valencia was very poor in almost every department - had not much to do with our CM.

Nani is a brilliant player and he has been consistently good (if not excellent) this season. People seem to have short memories, but he saved our asses plenty of times and played a huge part to our success (along with Vidic and before January, Berbatov). To sell him would make us weaker - no matter who we get
We preferred Valencia and Park to Nani because they provide better work rate. We needed a high level of workrate because we couldn't dream of matching Barca's midfield in terms of ball possession or brilliance so we opted for the 'water carrier' option hoping that our superior work rate would compensate for our lack of creativity, ball control and possession in midfield. Bottom line of the story. We didn't play Nani in the CL final not because he's not suited against them but simply because we couldn't afford him there. A 4 men midfield with Nani, Giggs (good player but 37 yr old), Carrick (above average player period) and Valencia/Park would have been overrun by Barcelona easily both in terms of workrate and brilliance. In matter of fact I feel confident to believe that if Fletch was fully fit (and with adequate match practice) SAF would have opted for him rather then Giggs.

I agree with you completely regarding the second paragraph.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I hope Nani stays, but have a feeling he'll be on his way, if not this summer then next. He's coming into is own now though.

Cina

Nani is superb one week and just disappears in another.
Sorry but that's nonsense. He was consistently fantastic last season up until the Carragher challenge against Pool. The word "inconsistent" with Nani should've been abolished over a year ago.

Anyway, with Sanchez off to Barca, hopefully the speculation that he'll leave will end now. Losing either him or Valencia would be a hammer blow to us.

Cina

I hope Nani stays, but have a feeling he'll be on his way, if not this summer then next. He's coming into is own now though.
Just curious, but why?

The media speculation?

There's no way in hell Nani would move to the Italian league, which leaves Real or Barca, who don't really need him.

Unless he wanted to take a step down in his career and ship back to Portugal.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
true. but for the Prem, Valencia has been pretty reliable almost every week.

That really isn't accurate is it? Over the past two years, Nani has been one of our most consistent performers. To say he disappears is so far off the mark it's not even funny.

I'm always right

First the Hernandez thread and now this shite.

Nani played well consistently from Jan 2010 to the middle of March 2011 (after a nasty tackle sidetracked him). He won the PPOTY because of that... but yeah, he disappears often :rolleyes:

And btw, Valencia has had a good few shite games during his United career, but just forget about them will ya.

feck me we do have some odd fans we really do.

Cina

He also did more against Barca in 20 minutes than Valencia did in the entire game.

Best winger in England bar none, and yet people think he could be sold or even SHOULD be sold.

humdinger

Nani still gets slated on here by some, and called inconsistant, yet he carried us for the first half of the season. Yes, Berbatov was scoring goals, but Nani was the heartbeat of our attack, and he produced it week in, week out. Until he got injured he was the best player in the league, in my opinion.

He is our most creative attacker, with great flair and unpredictability - defenders don't know whether he is going to cut in, go wide, which foot he will use, will he dribble/shhot/pass....he offers us such an outlet. When everybody is in form he is second only to Rooney in terms of our most potent attacker.

We were all absolutely bricking it when he got injured, wondering how we would cope etc. Thankfully Rooney was coming back into form and Valencia played like he hadn't been out for several months, but

I just find it astounding that people still slate Nani for being inconsistant (his dip in form followed an injury, and while Valencia is a robot and picked up his form straight away I have no criiticism of Nani for not doing the same). Even more surprising is folk who want to ship him out so we can fit in Sneijder, Sanchez etc. There's a reason he was voted players' player of the year - they appreciate what he did for the team. To get rid of him after he was so important to us last season to fit in someone who may not fit into our team is unfathomable to me.

Cina

I really don't think we need a playmaker, more of a box-to-box, the perfect example being Schweinstiger. A realistic target being Defour or M'vila.

Rooney should be the creative hub of the team. Get a brilliant workhorse to play with Carrick behind him and we're sorted.

Think a far superior version of Fletcher (no offense)

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We preferred Valencia and Park to Nani because they provide better work rate. We needed a high level of workrate because we couldn't dream of matching Barca's midfield in terms of ball possession or brilliance so we opted for the 'water carrier' option hoping that our superior work rate would compensate for our lack of creativity, ball control and possession in midfield. Bottom line of the story. We didn't play Nani in the CL final not because he's not suited against them but simply because we couldn't afford him there. A 4 men midfield with Nani, Giggs (good player but 37 yr old), Carrick (above average player period) and Valencia/Park would have been overrun by Barcelona easily both in terms of workrate and brilliance. In matter of fact I feel confident to believe that if Fletch was fully fit (and with adequate match practice) SAF would have opted for him rather then Giggs.

I agree with you completely regarding the second paragraph.
You miss the point: Valencia had a poor game, and it was not down to our CM. Plus, we were overrun by Barca even with Park and Valencia, who have a better workrate. We dont need to discuss the Barca game here.
Nani is a brilliant player (probably one of our best) and it would be bad advise to sell him

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
That really isn't accurate is it? Over the past two years, Nani has been one of our most consistent performers. To say he disappears is so far off the mark it's not even funny.
If people have a certain picture of a player, they stick to their myths no matter what - funnily enough a lot with Nani. It is stupid and it shows ppl dont really watch games closely and keep on repeating what others said 2 years ago

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Just to make a point here: Nani has been one of our best AND MOST CONSISTANT player over the last 1.5 seasons. IMO, only Vidic and VDS have been more consistant.

No way Sir Alex will sell him

devilish

You miss the point: Valencia had a poor game, and it was not down to our CM. Plus, we were overrun by Barca even with Park and Valencia, who have a better workrate. We dont need to discuss the Barca game here.
Nani is a brilliant player (probably one of our best) and it would be bad advise to sell him
Im telling you what SAF had in mind and why Nani was not playing in the CL final. Anyway we're pretty much saying the same thing from different angles.

I'm always right

Im telling you what SAF had in mind and why Nani was not playing in the CL final. Anyway we're pretty much saying the same thing from different angles.
Yeah I think we all know what SAF had in mind and why he started Valencia. It was a failure though as Tony was our worst player on the night.

With hindsight it's easy to see that Nani would've offered more as he's much better at keeping possession in tight spaces due to his ability to beat a man without pace (Tony V's only method).

Nani also started the last time we beat Barca ;)

Cina

It's so hard not to compare the two of them but it's inevitable because they're the 2 best wingers in the PL.

But I still think Nani is superior and the only benefit Valencia offers ahead of him is in his defensive game, which is why he was used more in the run in last season, because let's face it, we had a 2 man midfield with a 37 year old in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.