Luis Nani | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acquire Me

Nani will stay, selling him would be bad for us. Clearly one of the best wingers in the world atm.

Anderson8

SkyBet opening betting on his future...Arsenal 5/1 favourites to sign him....

Not happening.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Nani is brilliant, and unless he does not want out badly (which I doubt), there is no chance Fergie will sell him

ricky-romeo

they'll just keep linking nani with all the big european clubs, inter, juve, bayern, real etc...

today it is bayern, tomorrow it will be juve again..:lol:

ricky-romeo

from the ESPN soccernet staff..

Nani to stay at Manchester United - ESPN Soccernet

the still manage to include this though,
Nani has been linked in the media with a move away from United, with Real Madrid a mooted destination. The player fanned flames over a possible move when stating recently: "I am fine at Manchester United, but it is good to hear there are other clubs interested. Would I like to work under [Jose] Mourinho? Yes, but at this moment I am fine at Manchester United."

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_7006693,00.html

Nani insists he welcomes the increased competition at Manchester United following the signing of winger Ashley Young from Aston Villa.
United wrapped up a five-year deal for Young last week and the arrival of the England international has sparked speculation over Nani's future at Old Trafford.

The Portugal international was reportedly ready to seek assurances regarding his role at United next season after also being left out of the starting line-up for the UEFA Champions League
final defeat by Barcelona.

However, the former Sporting Lisbon youngster is not worried about fighting for a first-team spot and feels new additions will boost the Red Devils' quest for silverware next term.
Fantastic club

"Of course I have to welcome everyone they sign, I think Man Utd is a fantastic club."

"Of course I have to welcome everyone they sign, I think Man Utd is a fantastic club," said Nani.

"When they bring in new players, they know if it is good for the team or not, and this (Young signing) has to help them.

"It is good for the team, we want more (players) to help us to win trophies."

Nani has been at United since 2007 and the 24-year-old feels his previous battles of competing with compatriot Cristiano Ronaldo for a starting place will stand him in good stead.

He added: "I've been there (at United) when Cristiano was there, Cristiano was one of the best players in the world.

"At that moment (I had no) worries about him (taking my place)."

SecondFig

From FourFourTwo:

Nani has no plans to quit Man United

Reuters - 5 hours ago

SINGAPORE - Manchester United winger Nani has no plans to quit the English champions following the signing of Ashley Young last week, telling Reuters on Monday he welcomed the competition for a place in the starting line-up at Old Trafford.

Nani had been linked with a move away from Old Trafford by British media and admitted that watching games from the bench was "boring" but the Portuguese said he was looking forward to meeting his new team-mate.

"Of course I have to welcome everyone they sign, I think Man United is a fantastic club. When they bring in new players, they know if it is good for the team or not, and this [Young signing] has to help them," Nani said in the suite of his hotel in Singapore.

"It is good for the team, we want more [players] to help us to win trophies."

The 24-year-old explained that his experiences competing with the world's most expensive player, Cristiano Ronaldo, for a place in the Portugal line-up and previously in the United first team meant he was not concerned by the prospect of reduced appearances following Young's arrival.

"I've been there [at United] when Cristiano was there, Cristiano was one of the best players in the world. At that moment [I had no] worries about him [taking my place]," Nani said of his prolific countryman, who joined Real Madrid in 2009.

The Portuguese began last season in scintillating form before tailing off and losing his place in the side to Antonio Valencia for the 3-1 defeat by Barcelona in the Champions League final last month.

Former South Korean international Park Ji-sung also started the Wembley final on the flank ahead of Nani.

"It was boring because you want to play, everyone wants to play," Nani said. "The finals are for playing but the manager makes the decision and he knows who is better for the team and I have to respect that."

He did, however, come on for the last 20 minutes to replace Brazilian defender Fabio and witnessed first-hand the level that United need to reach if they are to lift the European title for a fourth time.

"[Barcelona] are the best team," he said. "They are not unbeatable, maybe a different game we can beat them, you never know. A game is a game and you never know what is going to happen."

BALD TRUTH

Nani, relaxing in flip flops and shorts after enjoying a few days rest in Singapore, acknowledged that tiredness may have been a factor in manager Sir Alex Ferguson's decision to drop him for the final.

"Last season I played more games [in a season] than ever [before] at Man United, that's why maybe in the last games I didn't look the same as in the first games.

"Now I'm on holiday for some rest, get my power back, at the start of the season I will be fine to start strong again, start to do what I know."

Nani was also in the southeast Asian city state to help promote the Peter Lim Scholarship scheme for the Singapore Olympic Foundation.

Lim, who failed in his bid to buy United's arch-rivals Liverpool last year and who owns a number of United supporter bars in Singapore, invited Nani to talk to school children about his difficult upbringing, where money was tight and luxuries unheard of, and the hard work needed to reach the top.

Nani's desire to return to Manchester for pre-season training appears in contrast to his former United team-mate Carlos Tevez.

Last month Manchester City's Argentine striker Tevez bemoaned life in Manchester and complained of homesickness and poor weather.

The Portuguese said he shared some of Tevez's thoughts on life in Manchester but that he was not there to enjoy the surroundings.

"I think for football it is the best place to live, if you want to be a very good professional and you want to be successful," said Nani.

"It's there where you have to live because there aren't many distractions, you can always focus on your job and good conditions to work, it's good."

Nani said he was also looking forward to Twitter-teasing team-mate and England striker Wayne Rooney, who has had a recent hair transplant to counteract baldness.

"I will see and then after I will write something," he laughed when asked if he would join United captain Rio Ferdinand in poking fun at Rooney.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I bet defences are shitting themselves at our current wing (attacking) options!

Good words from Nani. He was probably our best player last season, until he tailed off a bit towards the end.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Can't wait to see Nani back in action. There is something a bit fecked up about the amount of pace in our team at the moment, especially on the wings.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
"I think for football it is the best place to live, if you want to be a very good professional and you want to be successful," said Nani.

"It's there where you have to live because there aren't many distractions, you can always focus on your job and good conditions to work, it's good."
I like that comment a lot. He's got his priorities bang on.

Of course, that might be because he doesn't yet have a WAG whining in his ear about shops/weather in Manchester. I remember hearing that Fergie encourages players to get married as young as possible. Sometimes you wonder if the opposite approach might be more effective.

I'm always right

Nani welcomed the appointment of Andre Villas-Boas as Sir Alex's counterpart at Chelsea but laughed at the suggestion he could link up with his fellow countryman at Stamford Bridge in the future. "That's a joke?" he replied.
there.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The Portuguese winger has had to contend with speculation over his future following the arrival of Aston Villa's Ashley Young and he was grilled on that very topic by local media during a summer trip to Singapore.

"I don't want to talk about other players," Nani told The New Paper. "But I can tell you one thing - I just think about me and not others. This is most important. If I am good, I do not have to be scared of anybody, that's the thing.

"Am I staying at United? Definitely? Yes."

Nani's confidence in the status quo is underlined by his club - United have responded to journalists' questions about his future with strong denials that he could be sold in the wake of Young's arrival. The former Villa man is an addition to the ranks, not a replacement for Nani, and the latter very much looks forward to improving further at Old Trafford.

"[Last season] was my fourth year there," said Nani. "I [continue to] work with Sir Alex and, to tell you the truth, it's fantastic. I learn from the way he works because he has such a strong mentality and the discipline is very high. We have to do things perfectly - he likes [players to be] inch-perfect.

"When I arrived, I was playing well but I didn't have enough discipline in my game, that was maybe why I didn't play most of the matches. Now I can say I'm okay with discipline and very good at the things Sir Alex likes. It's maybe why I'm one of the players he believes in more."

Nani accepts Sir Alex's tough call to start him on the bench for the Champions League final against Barcelona at Wembley.

"I was a bit surprised," he said. "But this is football. It's not me making the decision. The manager makes the decision and you have to respect it.

"He has his office and it's not just for football but if you have some problems and need some help, he will always help. I've been there with him to speak and he's a very good person. He gives confidence to the players and it's very important in the big games."

Nani welcomed the appointment of Andre Villas-Boas as Sir Alex's counterpart at Chelsea but laughed at the suggestion he could link up with his fellow countryman at Stamford Bridge in the future. "That's a joke?" he replied.
Good interview from Nani again. Really excited at watching the prospect of him, young and Tony playing in tandem. Would be a nightmare for defenses.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I think he's certainly not a dick like certain players. He's always spoke well and we all know lots of players who would have used being dropped to get some sort of sway but he's always been pro United and that's why we should be happy because not only will he improve but there is no ambiguity in what he says.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Despite the infamous statue he has in his house, Nani doesn't possess the offensive ego of some 'big' players. Never mind the overblown fuss about his play-acting & his (sometimes) frustrating performances, he's a likeable and determined guy.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Despite the infamous statue he has in his house, Nani doesn't possess the offensive ego of some 'big' players. Never mind the overblown fuss about his play-acting & his (sometimes) frustrating performances, he's a likeable and determined guy.
Morning Steve.

Agree mate.

One day he can beat the world, the next match he is the invisible man.

Not sure if he had a free role in midfield may be the ideal fit.

I'm looking forward to the various experiements Fergie may have in the Pre-match games.

Cold_Boy

Next season he will become one of the top 5 in the world hopefully.

Fantastic attitude.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
One day he can beat the world, the next match he is the invisible man.
How often is that then?

Can't remember Nani being the 'invisible man' every other game.

He's one of our most consistent performers, and has been for a long while.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
How often is that then?

Can't remember Nani being the 'invisible man' every other game.

He's one of our most consistent performers, and has been for a long while.
fair question Hectic. what I meant was he could be amazing in a match and in another match...not necessarily every other match, not contribute at all.

How often have we seen Rooney get frustrated with him.

He did seem to take a dip in form after that injury...so much so he did not even start in the CL final, tactics aside.

A good Pre-Season may well see him start on a high note.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
In fairness, Rooney being frustated with him has nothing to do with anything. How often was Berbatov frustrated with other players, or Ryan Giggs with everyone? How often were players frustated with Wayne Rooney in the first half of the season? On-pitch frustations don't mean anything, especially in the case of using it to beat another player down.

I don't really see it, prior to his injury, I struggle to think of games where he was extremely effective, and then in the next game or one of the next few, completely ineffective. It didn't happen, at least not in the sense that it happened regularly, because for the clear majority, he was very consistent.

He took a dip in form after injury, because of the injury. Fair enough. He didn't start the Champions Leage, but why leave tactics aside? That's the very reason he didn't start....It's clear he's one of our strongest performers in the squad, he wasn't left out because he can't perform on the big occasion, or that Park is a better winger than him.

He's been unbelievably consistent, for me, our most consistent player going back a while, and that wouldn't match up with your statement at all.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
fair question Hectic. what I meant was he could be amazing in a match and in another match...not necessarily every other match, not contribute at all.

He did seem to take a dip in form after that injury...so much so he did not even start in the CL final, tactics aside.

I don't think that's really a fair summation of his season to be honest. He was supremely consistent up to the point of his injury, contributing a goal or an assist practically every game. He went off the boil after that injury, which is understandable as it would almost certainly affect his confidence as well, but to suggest he blows hot and cold is wide of the mark, in my opinion anyway.

I agree about a good pre season though, and hope to see him start next season in his pre Liverpool form.

Ekeke

I think the same can be said for every winger at the club and most around the world

Valencia is considered a reliable and consistant winger and even he has days where he's invisible and doesnt add anything to the attack. Its just how wingers are

Status
Not open for further replies.