Luis Nani back to Sporting

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
One of my favorite players of all time. Having a great season in the states.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm sure the constant booing from United fans helped him make up his mind to leave.

We're trying the same tactic with Pogba, let's see how it goes.
He was the one player I felt our fans were harsh one. But I suppose he was a tad fragile mentally as well.

Pogba doesnt get rough treatment from the fans. It more the media that has created a narrative about him.

SportingCP96

Supports
He was the one player I felt our fans were harsh one. But I suppose he was a tad fragile mentally as well.

Pogba doesnt get rough treatment from the fans. It more the media that has created a narrative about him.
Nani has always been a player that's needs to feel loved and wanted by the fans and manager. When that happens he is unplayable on his day. On the flip side if he feels unwanted or "hated" he does not have the mental capacity to play through it.

chb23

I'm sure the constant booing from United fans helped him make up his mind to leave.

We're trying the same tactic with Pogba, let's see how it goes.
haha so true

he could be frustrating but he could bring a little magic too. Just like Pogba.

AaronRedDevil

Should have left earlier
Valencia should have left after the first season. He's been useless for so many years. No idea how he outlasted him. Least Nani was a threat. Hated van gal for getting rid of him and chicha.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

He's has some pretty rough treatment, as far as I can see, stoked up by t he media.

Nani does seem to be a bit of a fragile soul, but I feel he lost a lot of confidence following Carragher's assault on him.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Valencia should have left after the first season. He's been useless for so many years. No idea how he outlasted him. Least Nani was a threat. Hated van gal for getting rid of him and chicha.
Okay valencia was bad but doesnt change how bad nani was for years during his end. Lvg did well moving on.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's has some pretty rough treatment, as far as I can see, stoked up by t he media.

Nani does seem to be a bit of a fragile soul, but I feel he lost a lot of confidence following Carragher's assault on him.
Has he? I just remember that time when he got into a spat with a prickly fan.

United58

2009 - 2012 Valencia was fantastic for us, predictable but so, so reliable, pre and post (horrific) injury. 2013 on he did tail off considerably, with the brief Indian summer as a RB under Jose

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Why should Val have left after his first season?

SportingCP96

Supports

Under appreciated. On his day unplayable :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

MAME DIOUF 32

He stepped up when we started going to shit, unlike most of today's squad. With each passing week the decision to include him in the Rojo deal gets more hilarious.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
You guys remember the good times, but towards the end of his stint with us, he wasn't good enough.

marktan

I'll always think fondly of Nani, one of the most naturally gifted dribblers we've had in the last 20 years. There's night and day between him and say Martial currently who's meant to be our best drobbler.

That run and outside of the boot pass to Rooney and the dribble and chip against Arsenal stick out.

I was actually wondering recently if we ever played him as part of a front 3? Or was he more the winger in a 442? He could finish well so I'm wondering if we missed a trick by not making him into a Sterling type wide player. I know we played 4-3-3 when Tevez was starting but I think we only really played 4-3-3 with Nani in the big games? It's funny because despite having a pretty successful career his talent meant he should've been in a similar tier to the likes of Ribery and Robben.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I loved Nani. At least I loved him on the right. He could take his man wide and put in a good cross or he could cut in and hit it laces with his left. My only wish was that Valencia would have been turned into a RB earlier in his career so those two could own the right side of our attack. But Valencia was such a one dimensional player and couldn't play from the left, so it forced Nani to the oppisite wing. He is one of a few players who I wish we had never sold. His return to Lisbon should have been from United...

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Under appreciated. On his day unplayable :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:
Without doubt he was under appreciated. No matter how bad he was on the day, he always tried to create chances. Victim of expectations just because he was from Sporting and Portuguese winger.

ants7

You guys remember the good times, but towards the end of his stint with us, he wasn't good enough.
Agreed. But it's a typical human behaviour - to remember good times and forget about the bad stuff.

In Rainbows

You can't argue against Nani with Valencia and Young still being there. They were consistently crap after 2012 so the only reason why Nani left before them is that there is always this chip on the shoulder by a lot of fans and media to go after the more talented player. A symptom of just the wrong things United value these days.

The talented players always get labeled with inconsistent and the lesser talented players don't get chased out for being consistently crap.

consistently brilliant > Inconsistent > consistently crap

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Extending his contract for 5 years near the end, but then chucking him into the deal that brought Rojo here, has to be up there with our weirdest behaviour this last 6 years.

And there's a long list.

SirAF

Ageist
Nani had a good career at United but it’s a shame he couldn’t maximise his potential.

He had just about everything: excellent close control, skills, pace, a strong physique, good crosses and a wicked shot.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He was/is extremely two footed too. He’s also Portugal’s 4th highest capped player, which is quite impressive.

JPB

The poeple at the club who are responsible for selling Nani should be shot.

SteveW

The poeple at the club who are responsible for selling Nani should be shot.
That would be Louis Van Gaal. The guy that got rid of Rafael also.

I second your sentiments.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Moyes handed him a five year contract and subsequently barely played him then. Nani was always a confidence player, whenever he was actually given a proper run in the team he was quality. Moyes never gave him that, instead he'd play him in a game or two here and there and once he didn't play well, he'd be out of it in favour of Valencia who was even worse.

Not playing him and then including him in that Rojo deal was one of the dumbest things we've done post SAF, and that's saying a lot.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Yup.

Great player at his best, but it had gone stale for him at the club by the time he left, and parting ways ways clearly the right move for both parts.