Luka Jovic - Real Madrid player

0le

Naturally yes, we all aren't as patient as you are. All of us who go into a meltdown reason that other clubs get their business done whereas we have done feck all so far. Look at Real, they are in a similar situation as us at the moment and they are doing an incredible job rebuilding.

It's not jealousy we are feeling, it's envy.
We all have to be patient like him and share those opinions. Anyone who doesn't, is said to be having a "meltdown" :D...I guess he has never looked in a matchday thready for the past six years.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
How the feck did they get him for so low?
How is 62 million pounds low?

Am I missing something here? He's not exactly Mbappe. He got 17 goals in the Bundesliga, which is good but not exceptional .. and then he had a good Europa League campaign.

60 million or so seems about right to me, were people expecting a 100 million transfer?

redshaw

60 million euro is way too cheap. They best have some big performance related add ons in the deal.

passing-wind

It's a good signing, no idea how we can be in a much worse state of affairs and already with non world class signings we are dragging our feet.

If our current business follows the current trajectory until the end of this month, pretty certain that Solskjaer's wishes of having new players for pre season will be a myth.

Kapardin

Real Madrid are the current richest club in the world, have won the past 3 Champions Leagues in a row before this season and are actually going to play in the CL next season, which are ridiculous draws.

"Same situation as us at the moment"?
That's true, but it begs the question as to why our scouts can't identify good strikers in the market.

Since 2013, we have been looking for a striker in a market where big names are scarce. During that time, Liverpool signed Firmino from Hoffenheim, Arsenal signed Auba from Dortmund and now Real have signed Jovic. All 3 would have been much better than Falcao, Ibra, Lukaku and atleast 2 of them would have joined us if we had persuaded them or made known our interest.

In contrast, I could scout Ibra, Falcao or Lukaku (though I suppose Ibra was a Jose recommendation)...I mean, our scouting team appears to be stealing a living.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
That is a very good price, pretty sure he will be a successful signing for them. Possibly a top 5 young forward in Europe.

I don’t think we ever had a chance of signing him so I don’t really know why people complain so much over this.

bondsname

Real Madrid are the current richest club in the world, have won the past 3 Champions Leagues in a row before this season and are actually going to play in the CL next season, which are ridiculous draws.

"Same situation as us at the moment"?
Similar. They had a catastrophe of a season (by their standards) and need to rebuild their team. We are also one of the richest teams in the world.

I didn't say Real and United are in the exact identical situation did I? I said similar. In fact, we should be even more reckless and ruthless in the transfer market than Real has been so far because we need it more than them. By similar I mean that we are both two teams in desperate need of a rebuild and return to the top. Similar doesn't mean identical.

I don't care about Jovic, I just wish we got some transfers done and dusted (players that would improve our team) as well.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Naturally yes, we all aren't as patient as you are. All of us who go into a meltdown reason that other clubs get their business done whereas we have done feck all so far. Look at Real, they are in a similar situation as us at the moment and they are doing an incredible job rebuilding.

It's not jealousy we are feeling, it's envy.
What other clubs? Barely any signings have happened yet.

red4ever 79

Good action by Real. Need a striker, identify probably the best available and actually go out and buy him. Meanwhile back at Utd HQ, Ed is currently waiting for the pre release of Fifa 20 so he can determine our transfer strategy.

bondsname

What other clubs? Barely any signings have happened yet.
Dortmund need to improve and they have, so has Real Madrid and Mendy is just around the corner. That's what I want us to do because that is what we have to do, I don't care if a bunch of other clubs haven't bought any players. If we are serious then we get shit done.

City aren't buying everyone at the moment because they just have few positions where they need to improve, the same goes for all top clubs (Liverpool, Barcelona, PSG, Juventus) but we are not in their position, we have a whole team to rebuild. That's why I say we get our business done as soon as possible, there is no time for fecking around right now.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
The rebuild in full swing. Jovic in and potentially Hazard so two strong signings early in the window. I except Bale and Benzema among a few others to leave as well so will be interesting to see who Madrid go and break the bank for. 60M for Jovic is a steal.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I except Bale and Benzema among a few others to leave as well
Zidane likes Benzema so he'll stay, he scored 30 goals last year too.

Bale is gone though as long as someone (probably us because we're idiots) pay his wages/fee.

0le

You can shop cheaply in the Bundesliga if the club isnt Bayern or Dortmund. The other clubs usually sell for good fees compared to some other leagues, because they arent swimming in money like a midtable Premier League club. In this instance, they also could have had a gentlemans agreement to let him go for a reasonable price if club x knocks on the door, since they bought him cheap from Benfica and they obviously knew he was too good for them, so that they took the money and are happy financially and for the player. For a club like Frankfurt, that fee is a lot of money.
I see, thanks. Still though, its incredible that a striker showing a lot of promise cost the same as Walker or Fred :D. Excellent business for them.

stubie

The rebuild in full swing. Jovic in and potentially Hazard so two strong signings early in the window. I except Bale and Benzema among a few others to leave as well so will be interesting to see who Madrid go and break the bank for. 60M for Jovic is a steal.
Also Eder from Porto

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Am I missing something here? He's not exactly Mbappe. He got 17 goals in the Bundesliga, which is good but not exceptional .. and then he had a good Europa League campaign.

60 million or so seems about right to me, were people expecting a 100 million transfer?
I'm also baffled by it. His stats before this season aren't anything special and he had a really low clause in his Benfica contract which seems a bit weird to me as they usually make them stupidly high (I wonder if they were made to keep it that low or if they just didn't rate him that highly). Take nothing away from him, his record this season speaks for itself but 60m seems fair. He's in the top 30 biggest transfers of all time right now and for similar fees to that of Hernandez, De Jong and Pulisic this summer.

As the Germans were saying in the thread i made about German transfers, it seems like when the clubs outside the top 2 have a big club take interest they're happy to swiftly move things and sell for a reasonable big price without silliness.

RoyH1

Good piece of business for them. Young, promising strikers are expensive and players from the former Yugoslavia generally do well in Spain (so good at picking up the language and culture compared to other nationalities).

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
He's going to be a monster for them. Very talented, already a good player and has a high upside. 60 ME is going to be a very good bit of business in the future.

Dozer

I'm also baffled by it. His stats before this season aren't anything special and he had a really low clause in his Benfica contract which seems a bit weird to me as they usually make them stupidly high (I wonder if they were made to keep it that low or if they just didn't rate him that highly).
You'll always get the occasional late-blooming superstar though. Who realistically saw Harry Kane becoming the player he is when he was on loan at Norwich or Leicester? If there'd been a permanent option in those loans it probably would have been £3m-£5m at the time.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea

It is exceptional if you are his age and play for a team as Frankfurt.

shiranaiotoko

And that's how you make transfers, meanwhile Manchester United, despite claiming that this year all deals will be done fast does the same thing as every year - nothing.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
It is exceptional if you are his age and play for a team as Frankfurt.
Frankfurt aren't exactly an awful team and he's their out and out striker. 17 league goals is very good for a 21 year old striker, but it's not something we haven't seen before from young strikers.

He could go on and become one of the best strikers out there, or he could go down a Belotti route. 62m is a very good price for that kind of player.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Frankfurt aren't exactly an awful team and he's their out and out striker. 17 league goals is very good for a 21 year old striker, but it's not something we haven't seen before from young strikers.

He could go on and become one of the best strikers out there, or he could go down a Belotti route. 62m is a very good price for that kind of player.
Wasn't Haller their out and out striker?

Bwuk

Great signing. I'd of liked him here. He'll rattle goals in for them.

Bojan11

Typical. Madrid are moving fast after a shit season whilst we doing feck all it seems.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
1 goal per 2 games for a player of an upper mid-table team is very good return.