Luka Jovic - Real Madrid player

R'hllor

Just stumbled on Sky Sports article about this kid, will be honest, i dont watch Bundesliga, so not sure is this article true reflection of his current form. There are two young players i had high hopes when they left Serbian league, Andrija Zivkovic and Luka Jovic. There are maybe one of two others (at the moment in Serie A) but they left way to early imo.

Luka Jovic: The Liverpool, Bayern Munich and Barcelona target outscoring Robert Lewandowski
"He has shown his potential from the beginning. Eintracht Frankfurt knew they had a rough diamond."

German publication Bild has reported that Jurgen Klopp is keeping tags on Jovic - along with Bayern Munich and Barcelona - and his recent form for Eintracht Frankfurt, where he is on loan from Benfica, has certainly boosted his profile.

Tottenham and Chelsea have also been linked with the striker who is topping the Bundesliga scoring charts, but what is his story so far?

The beginnings
Born in December 1997 in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Jovic spent nine years with the Red Star Belgrade youth sides before making his first-team debut in May 2014 at the age of 16. By the start of the 2015/16 season, he was starting regularly for Red Star, and scored three goals in his first five games that term.

He then sealed a move to Portuguese side Benfica in February 2016 although, after a spell with the B team, he made just two first-team appearances before moving on loan to Eintracht Frankfurt in June 2017, on a two-year deal.

It was a solid first season for the Serbia international, making 22 league appearances - nine as a starter - with eight Bundesliga goals. He also helped the team win the DFB Pokal after Eintracht Frankfurt were runners-up in 2017, with his only goal in five appearances being the winner against Schalke in the semi-finals.

But Jovic has surged into form this season with nine goals in nine Bundesliga games, making him the league's highest goalscorer ahead of well-known names like Marco Reus (8), Lewandowski (7) and Timo Werner (6). It has catapulted Eintracht Frankfurt into fourth spot - ahead of Bayern Munich on goal difference - and since Jovic scored his first league goal of the season against Hannover at the end of September, Eintracht Frankfurt are yet to lose.

He is currently averaging a goal every 62 minutes in the Bundesliga and recently came fourth in a list of Europe's in-form stars based on Sky Sports'Power Rankings formula, only coming behind Lionel Messi, Neymar and Kylian Mbappe.

Jovic has earned three caps for Serbia and featured at the 2018 World Cup
Speaking about Jovic's time in Germany so far, Sky Germany's Alexander Bonengel says: "He has shown his potential from the beginning. Eintracht Frankfurt knew they had a rough diamond that may need some time to develop and more than just on a technical level.

"He has shown a significant improvement in work ethic and attitude and has learnt to work for the whole team if he wants them to work for him. He also had strong moments in his first season that increased his self confidence. He now has more playing time in connection with his stronger attitude to work and training that has helped him to score more consistently."

Five-star against Fortuna
Jovic hugs Eintracht Frankfurt manager Adi Hutter after scoring five goals against Fortuna Dusseldorf
If any performance embodies Jovic's superb start to the season, it is his five-goal haul during Eintracht Frankfurt's 7-1 win against Fortuna Dusseldorf just over a month ago. After Sebastien Haller's opener, Jovic netted his first goal in the 26th minute and the pair barely stopped finding Dusseldorf's net, with Haller nabbing himself a double that day too.

Jovic was the first Eintracht Frankfurt player in history to net five times in a Bundesliga game, although he was modest about his achievement, telling the club's official website: "Of course, I'm delighted. It's been an emotional day. But it's not about my five goals - the team put in a sensational performance."

Jovic making history
Jovic joined a list of 15 other players to have scored five times in on Bundesliga game, with legendary players like Gerd Muller, Jupp Heynckes and Jurgen Klinsmann included.

But Jovic is the youngest to have ever achieved the feat at 20 years and 300 days old.

He also became the first Serb to score a hat-trick - and much more - in the Bundesliga.

He was also the first player since Lewandowski to score five goals in a Bundesliga game after the Pole recorded the same tally in an incredible nine-minute surge against Wolfsburg in September 2015.

Manager Adi Hutter said at the time: "It's remarkable that Luka Jovic managed to score five goals, and he's not even 21. He's obviously the man of the match, and he's penned his name into the history books, alongside players like Robert Lewandowski. It's sensational. Luka is a complete player."

Stick or twist?
With the January transfer window fast approaching and Jovic catching the eye, attention has now turned to his next move, with Liverpool, Bayern Munich and Barcelona being touted as potential suitors by Bild.

Jovic's loan spell from Benfica ends in the summer, with Eintracht Frankfurt having the option of buying the player permanently, although Sky Germany's Bonengel thinks it could be hard for the Bundesliga club to keep him.

The Serb has netted nine times in nine Bundesliga games this season
"Frankfurt has a one-sided buying option which they will most likely take. However, there seem to be some contractual things that are not clear yet. Benfica supposedly wants to participate in future when Jovic may get sold to another club," he said.

"But when he continues to perform like this, it will be hard for Eintracht Frankfurt to keep him. It's a fact that almost every top club has sent out scouts to watch him.

"However, Eintracht Frankfurt managed to keep Ante Rebic, another high-profile player for whom they could have gained a lot of money, probably between €30m and €40m, maybe even €50m. They said 'no' and maybe they could do the same with Jovic."

Jovic is currently on loan from Benfica
Of the three teams in the Bild report, Liverpool seems like the more likely option. Although not struggling up front, the Reds do lack an out-and-out striker who can be depended upon, with Divock Origi and Dominic Solanke rarely in the matchday 18 and Daniel Sturridge a perennial substitute.

Between them, they have made one Premier League start - Sturridge against Huddersfield in October - while Solanke has featured in just one Liverpool squad this season, for the EFL Cup defeat to his former side, Chelsea, when he did not make it off the bench.

There would be plenty of competition for a starting spot, though, with the current attacking prowess of Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane - as well as a good start to life at Anfield from Xherdan Shaqiri - meaning Jovic would have to prove himself all over again.

This is arguably an easier task than trying to oust Lionel Messi, Philippe Coutinho or Luis Suarez at Barcelona, though, or going up against Lewandowski in the same Bayern team. He may be beating his stats this season at Eintracht Frankfurt, but going head-to-head with the Pole week-in, week-out for a spot in the same XI is another matter entirely.

But Bonengel believes the best place for him is to stay at the Waldstadion, concluding: "His development is not finished yet. He is only 20. It could make sense for him to get even more mature over the next few years at Eintracht Frankfurt.

"Hutter is very good at guiding and developing players. Maybe he needs one or two more years to develop the strength and character to be ready for a move to a world-class club."
https://www.skysports.com/football/...arcelona-target-outscoring-robert-lewandowski

So Bundesliga watchers, what you think? If he avoids injuries, is there a good striker in the future?

HarlanEiffler

He's part of an incredibly successful Frankfurt offense at the moment, with Rebic and Haller being the other two main attackers. But yeah, Jovic looks like a very good striker. It will be interesting to see what happens when (if) Frankfurt dips in form. He's still just 20 years old. Frankfurt already confirmed they will activate their buy-clause.

Hazard Warning

Supports
Chelsea
Football manager legend.

In all seriousness, he’s got a great skill set which is suited to a quick counter attacking setup. His passing is wayward and unreliable still when he has time to actually pick out a teammate but is surprisingly good when he has to play one touch or a one-two with no time to think.

Big room for improvement, crazy to think he’s still just 20 when he’s been around for a good few years already.

Hazard Warning

Supports
Chelsea
What are his qualities? Who is he comparable to?
Kind of went over it in the post above but can elaborate. He’s a complete striker who excels on the counterattack, using his pace, finishing and off the ball movement to exploit gaps in the defensive line.

He’s very much an instinctive player and you can see he doesn’t look as good when he has time to think. Showed flashes of brilliance last season but at times looked frustrated when he wasn’t gettting the ball immediately.

He’s definitely worked on the mental side of his game over the summer as his general mood when on the pitch seems a lot more positive. He’s also making better runs this season, and the team is benefiting from that. It will be interesting to see what happens if/when Frankfurt suffer a dip in form and the service into him dries up. Will he revert to his previous character or has he already grown up?

In terms of comparing him to someone, I’d be tempted to say he’s a slower version of Auba.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Kind of went over it in the post above but can elaborate. He’s a complete striker who excels on the counterattack, using his pace, finishing and off the ball movement to exploit gaps in the defensive line.

He’s very much an instinctive player and you can see he doesn’t look as good when he has time to think. Showed flashes of brilliance last season but at times looked frustrated when he wasn’t gettting the ball immediately.

He’s definitely worked on the mental side of his game over the summer as his general mood when on the pitch seems a lot more positive. He’s also making better runs this season, and the team is benefiting from that. It will be interesting to see what happens if/when Frankfurt suffer a dip in form and the service into him dries up. Will he revert to his previous character or has he already grown up?

In terms of comparing him to someone, I’d be tempted to say he’s a slower version of Auba.
Thanks .

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

First of all I do not follow Frankfurt games too closely so most of my impressions come from game summaries and of course those show the goals he is scoring. Judging from that I would not really compare him to Auba really. I am not even sure what a slower version of him would look like :D Aubameyang mostly profits off his pace and ability to get in behind the defence. Additionally he is a quite clinical finisher and also good in the air. Especially the latter is not necessarily something you would say about Jovic, if you look at his time at Frankfurt only 3 out of 21 goals scored were headers. Without checking I would assume most of those to be tap ins since I do not expect him to beat a proper defender in an arial duel too often.

But that is not to take away from the capabilities of the player, he just has different strengths and in my opinion that is mainly his shot (also to some extent distinguishing him from Aubameyang). From what I recall a lot of his goals recently were scored either from medium range of roughly 15-20 meters or directly converting low crosses. So this can either be a fluke in form and him getting a bit lucky with his touches or he is just really good at it. Considering he has been doing it for roughly a year now suggests he might be making his own luck to a certain degree (though I expect his form or at least his goal scoring for Frankfurt to dip a bit soon).

Overall I think Jovic may become a really great striker but I am not sure how much of a worldbeater he will be. I think he has to prove himself a bit more and it is a bit too early to sind his praises just yet. For a team of Frankfurt's stature however he and his buddies Rebic and expecially Haller are phenomenal and I will enjoy following their development.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
Jovic is a world class centre forward. Period.

Whilse he is on loan from Benfica at Eintracht Frankfurt, Frankfurt have a clause to buy him outright for €6m which they intend to activate.

luke511

Whilse he is on loan from Benfica at Eintracht Frankfurt, Frankfurt have a clause to buy him outright for €6m which they intend to activate.
Benfica has a strange habit of letting good players go for nothing, Bernardo Silva is another.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Indeed. Just read Bayern, Liverpool and Barca want him.
Did you just reply to yourself ten hours later? :lol:

While Jovic is a great player not doubt I feel like you should hold your horses there a bit. A couple of games without a goal or even just a proper injury and public opinion will change rapidly. Right now he is in the limelight as part of Frankfurts fantastic attacking trio and you could probably call his performances world class as of the last couple of weeks. Even though I hate this kind of hedging as well (especially when talking about Dortmund players :D) I think he really has to prove this run of form over a longer period of time. And yes I am aware of his performances and numbers last season, they are one of the reasons I rate him as highly as I do, not because he scored 5 against Düsseldorf. Maybe we just have different definitions of the term "world class". :)

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
While Jovic is a great player not doubt I feel like you should hold your horses there a bit. A couple of games without a goal or even just a proper injury and public opinion will change rapidly. Right now he is in the limelight as part of Frankfurts fantastic attacking trio and you could probably call his performances world class as of the last couple of weeks. Even though I hate this kind of hedging as well (especially when talking about Dortmund players :D) I think he really has to prove this run of form over a longer period of time. And yes I am aware of his performances and numbers last season, they are one of the reasons I rate him as highly as I do, not because he scored 5 against Düsseldorf. Maybe we just have different definitions of the term "world class". :)
I can understand posters like yourself calling for caution and indeed it is entirely reasonable. There comes a point in time though where the very good player separates themselves from the rest with extraordinary ability and skill, and I believe Jovic has reached that level. Few players do this in their debuts (Alan Shearer & Wayne Rooney come to mind), others take a bit more time, but by the age of 20-21 the world class player has usually announced himself to the world.

Jovic is an out and out old fashioned striker with an extraordinary eye for goal who, I believe, would have already made himself known far earlier if he were playing for free scoring teams like Barcelona, RM or Bayern rather than Eintracht Frankfurt (whom I support).

I remember his debut goal for Eintracht. An impressive header. Over the past couple of years though he has been in an out of the team as he competed with, initially, Alex Meier but later Ante Rebic in the starting lineup. Some of Jovic's initial performances would suggest that he can be distant in games. When he did play he was certainly noticeable for one thing.... He scored goals and also had an extraordinary ability to score goals from nothing. Last season Eintracht won the German Cup (DFB Pokal), defeating Bayern 3-1 in the final. Jovic was an unused substitute with Ante Rebic taking all the plaudits. However few refer to the semi final where Jovic scored a fantastic back-heeled goal from a corner in a tight match which Eintracht won 1-0 at Schalke.

This season has been different for Jovic and he can thank his mew manager at Eintracht, Adi Hutter.
Hutter is not of the Kovac style as he is an attacking manager who believes that the best form of defence is attack. Consequently Jovic has appeared in a strike force of three with Ante Rebic & Sebastian Haller (who is also excelling btw). Jovic's partnership with Haller in particular seems to have magnificent chemistry.

It was the record setting 5 goals in one game against Dusseldorf which got the rest of Europe noticing but, prior to that, Jovic already had the highest goals per minute ratio of all time for players who have played in more than 25 Bundesliga matches. A certain G. Muller is in second place. In addition to Jovic's scoring he appears to have something that is quite extraordinary among all footballers. . . He has an extremely accurate & powerful shot with either foot. His heading ability is not bad either.

So I agree with the "hang on there" reactions but, for me, his two goals against Schalke in Eintracht's last Bundesliga match tipped him over to the other side as a great player. Two superbly taken left foot shots.

Last edited:

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I can understand posters like yourself calling for caution and indeed it is entirely understandable. There comes a point in time though where the very good player separates themselves from the rest with extraordinary ability and skill, and I believe Jovic has reached that level. Few players do this in their debuts (Alan Shearer & Wayne Rooney come to mind), others take a bit more time, but by the age of 20-21 the world class player has usually announced himself to the world.

Jovic is an out and out old fashioned striker with an extraordinary eye for goal who, I believe, would have already made himself known far earlier if he were playing for free scoring teams like Barcelona, RM or Bayern rather than Eintracht Frankfurt (whom I support).

I remember his debut goal for Eintracht. An impressive header. Over the past couple of years though he has been in an out of the team as he competed with, initially, Alex Meier but later Ante Rebic in the starting lineup. Some of Jovic's initial performances would suggest that he can be distant in games so he was generally in and out of the team. When he did play he was certainly noticeable for one thing.... He scored goals and also had an extraordinary ability to score goals from nothing. Last season Eintracht won the German Cup (DFB Pokal), defeating Bayern 3-1 in the final. Jovic was an unused substitute with Ante Rebic taking all the plaudits. However few refer to the semi final where Jovic scored a fantastic back-heeled goal from a corner in a tight match which Eintracht won 1-0 at Schalke.

This season has been different for Jovic and he can thank his mew manager at Eintracht, Adi Hutter.
Hutter is not of the Kovac style as he is an attacking manager who believes that the best form of defence is attack. Consequently Jovic has appeared in a strike force of three with Ante Rebic & Sebastian Haller (who is also excelling btw). Jovic's partnership with Haller in particular seems to have magnificent chemistry.

It was the 5 goals in one game against Dusseldorf which got the rest of Europe noticing but, prior to that, Jovic already had the highest goals per minute ratio of all time for players who have played in more than 25 Bundesliga matches. A certain G. Muller is in second place. In addition to Jovic's scoring he appears to have something that is quite extraordinary among all footballers. . . He has an extremely powerful shot with either foot. His heading ability is not bad either.

So I agree with the "hang on there" reactions but, for me, his two goals against Schalke in Eintracht's last Bundesliga match tipped him over to the other side as a great player. Two superbly taken left foot shots.
Alright, I think we are not so far apart in our perceptions after all. It is of course important to note that you will have seen far more of Jovic and Frankfurt than me so I would never assume my impressions are as detailed as yours. I think I might actually be more impressed with the goal scoring ability Jovic has shown last season (in a far less attack minded setup as you mentioned) than with his current run of form which is also superb but seems to be condensed a little more into tha last couple of games. I think he also profits a bit off of Haller whom I would personally even rate a bit higher at the moment but Jovic is also about four years younger than him.

Long story short, I think Jovic has proven himself to be a fantastic attacking prospect and has shown a strong level for about a year now. He has all the capabilities to become a striker of international, maybe even world class. I just don't quite see him there yet but that is quite a high bar to reach (at least in the way I judge world class).

cheeky_backheel

What are his qualities? Who is he comparable to?
From the little I have seen, I would think he is more similar to Pipita - doesnt really look the part but seems to have a good knack for goals. Also reminds me a bit of Rebrov

TsuWave

I was getting Jovic mixed up with Jovetic and was thinking “did he reinvigorate his career or something?” but then I read “20 years old” and knew that couldn’t be right

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

R'hllor

I see he scored 2 tonight, thats, if i am not wrong 12 goals in 14 games this season?

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
I see he scored 2 tonight, thats, if i am not wrong 12 goals in 14 games this season?
Yes.

Plus 5 goals in 6 matches in the europa league against such opponents like Lazio and Marseille.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Yep, 12 goals in the Bundesliga and 5 goals in the Europa League. Mind, the “in X number of games” figure is kind of misleading with Jović because he has played roughly 1200 minutes in those two tournaments combined, and didn't start in all those matches for Eintracht Frankfurt.

Very impressive goals vs. minutes played statistics (though a bit distorted because he's only a newbie at this stage with a limited sample size):

R'hllor

Yes.

Plus 5 goals in 6 matches in the europa league against such opponents like Lazio and Marseille.
Yep, 12 goals in the Bundesliga and 5 goals in the Europa League. Mind, the “in X number of games” figure is kind of misleading with Jović because he has played roughly 1200 minutes in those two tournaments combined, and didn't start in all those matches for Eintracht Frankfurt.

Very impressive goals vs. minutes played statistics (though a bit distorted because he's only a newbie at this stage with a limited sample size):
I see, guess Eintracht will have to make a decision at the end of season, dunno whats the set price by Benfica if they wanna buy him. Thanks guys.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
This is his second full season in the Bundesliga.

He's no newbie.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
I see, guess Eintracht will have to make a decision at the end of season, dunno whats the set price by Benfica if they wanna buy him. Thanks guys.
Price is already set at €6m in the loan agreement.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

R'hllor

Price is already set at €6m in the loan agreement.
Woot, thats weird, i mean, not following transfer exists of Benfica, Porto etc. but always thoo their players going for high amounts regardless of player in question.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
This is his second full season in the Bundesliga.

He's no newbie.
Yes, but the terminology and arbitrary sample size used in Opta tweets can be used to bend statistics ever so slightly or present them in a certain light — the newbie bit was an allusion to his number of games vs. more established strikers who've gone through prolonged peaks and troughs. Didn't intend to discredit Jović, mind — he's been mint, just providing a slight caveat.

Lyricist

You have to say he's a bit good. Scoring 5 against Lazio and Marseille in 4 games, scoring 5 against Düsseldorf in the Bundesliga in 1 game of which one is an acrobatic volley Ibrahimovic would've been proud of.

Check at 48 seconds.

Last edited:

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
You have to say he's a bit good. Scoring 5 against Lazio and Marseille in 4 games, scoring 5 against Düsseldorf in the Bundesliga in 1 game of which one is an acrobatic volley Ibrahimovic would've been proud of.
Cup semi final in April

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Its fecking unbelievable how on Earth Boto discovered all these players for Benfica, while their shit coach Vitória can't make any of these players work. One of the main reasons Boto left Benfica for Shaktar, at least Fonseca knows what talent means.

P3nnywise

Supports
Werder Bremen
Niko Kovac said:
- Jovic is very likely to become a world class striker and
- bayern is a world class team

R'hllor

A goal and 2 assists yesterday vs Hannover 96, thats 15 goals and 5 assists in 21 games in BL. Really poor defending for his goal thoo. If i am not wrong BL golden boot winners ended up between 25-30 goals in last few years, seems this season it will be lower amount then previous ones, Lewa is on 13 at the moment.
Guess makes sense due Bayerns form and how this season in BL went till now.

.mica

Supports
Dortmund
He is good. Hope that he is off to Barcelona, or to Dortmund, but i think we will more target Haller. In the end, main hope for me is, that Jovic won't go to Bayern.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Frankfurt must be so good to watch with Rebic and Seb Haller also in their forward line. Will have to catch a few games for them in the run in, do they play Bayern and Dortmund again before season is out?

Also exciting for Serbia NT they have a potential world class striker in the making given they have good defence and midfield options.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Frankfurt must be so good to watch with Rebic and Seb Haller also in their forward line. Will have to catch a few games for them in the run in, do they play Bayern and Dortmund again before season is out?

Also exciting for Serbia NT they have a potential world class striker in the making given they have good defence and midfield options.
Frankfurt are an absolute joy to watch on their day and that is pretty much any day at the moment. Their offense of Jovic/Rebic/Haller but also the likes of Kostic and da Costa is just incredible. I am really looking forward to their games against Inter Milan in the Europa League. The have already had their match against Dortmund (a 1:1 draw) and are actually facing Bayern in their last match of the season.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Just scored at the San Siro. So how good is he?

Only 21 years old, 15 goals in the Bundesliga. Seems destined for a big money transfer this summer.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool

For those who didn't see it.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Bayern should be all over him. Forget about Werner, or whoever else.