Luka Modric / Signs for Real Madrid

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
.... Lennon is one of teh most limited players in the PL .... awful first touch, poor control, average passing and crossing and never plays with his head up. ....
The goal he created against AC Milan pretty much disproves everything you've said here.

But then he's disproved it many times before without it affecting the fixed opinions of some on here ... mostly those who rarely see him play (except on TV highlights) I suspect.

Lennon remains one of Spurs most potent attacking threats.

As for Modric for 30m ..... dream on. It isn't going to happen.

Alex

The goal he created against AC Milan pretty much disproves everything you've said here.

But then he's disproved it many times before without it affecting the fixed opinions of some on here ... mostly those who rarely see him play (except on TV highlights) I suspect.

There are always exceptions to the rule

Jaap

Carrick, Berbatov before - now Modric et Bale are the next two players that are constantly and repeatedly being linked with us. Should you qualify for the Champions' League this season, I doubt they'll leave, but as for next year (City's big spending will continue, Chelsea will no doubt strengthen), it will definitely become a lot more difficult for Tottenham to secure top European football.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I can't see Spurs selling any of their players at this moment. Unless of course the players themselves put in a transfer request. However, it will be interesting to see how the next decade pan out for Spurs with the need of a new ground.

Lance Uppercut

Best hope you qualify for the CL.

buckooo1978

Spurs would be mad to sell

even if Spurs don't make the Champions League spaces they have a load of squad players they can sell to free up transfer funds

they are 1 good striker away from a really top side

Personally I'd rather take Bale as top left sided attacking players are very scarce

Dave89

£30m seems kinda sensible now, after that transfer window

Jaap

Well Harry as dismissed this rumour as bollocks.He as no intention of selling Modric.
How many times has a coach actually dismissed a rumour, but the transfer still went ahead?! Whether Harry has no intentions of selling him, even if Modric comes out and declares his love for Tottenham, the rumours of him signing for United will still not go away.

We've seen it time and time again and with Modric it won't be any different. He's United bound, I'm sure of that.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Modric is a Utd type player but the fee probably demanded will prove restrictive.

Would prefer Rodwell personally

Jaap

Would prefer Rodwell personally
Who would still not solve the problem in central midfielder - IMO, we badly need some creative spark in the middle of the pitch.

We had Ronaldo, Tevez in earlier years - who provided the creative, the ''genius'' moments, whereas Carrick, Fletcher, for example, balanced our play because of their steel and bite on the field. We lack that, we are still cruising, however, but I have a feeling we will pay the price one day for ignoring this disfigurement.

Point Prunier

I can't see a midfield three with Anderson and Modric working. Maybe I'm wrong.
I think it would work well.

Modric and Anderson wouldn't be too far removed from Modric and Palacios.

I'd play with a third midfielder too, which would free both of them up to get forward where possible. (Rodwell would work well, as would Carrick who I'd be keen for us to retain)

Personally I'd prefer Pastore over Modric. But either way I'd be happy.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
On various occasions they've both struggled when asked to move forward as the most attacking midfielder so you have to wonder if their lack of direct threat could be a permanent hindrance.

I still think Anderson's very able in that role though, and having two such talented ball-carriers in midfield could be hugely useful.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He definitely has a price but it's no lower than £35m and we probably cannot affors that at the moment.

Donkey's Ears

I think it would work well.

Modric and Anderson wouldn't be too far removed from Modric and Palacios.

I'd play with a third midfielder too, which would free both of them up to get forward where possible. (Rodwell would work well, as would Carrick who I'd be keen for us to retain)

Personally I'd prefer Pastore over Modric. But either way I'd be happy.
It could do I guess. But I think you're being kind to Anderson's work rate to compare him to Palacios.

As good as Pastore clearly is, he would take longer to settle and get used to the pace of our game.

Sultan

Who would still not solve the problem in central midfielder - IMO, we badly need some creative spark in the middle of the pitch.

We had Ronaldo, Tevez in earlier years - who provided the creative, the ''genius'' moments, whereas Carrick, Fletcher, for example, balanced our play because of their steel and bite on the field.
Absolutely.

Modric has this great knack of producing space and be creative with his passes.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Carrick, Berbatov before - now Modric et Bale are the next two players that are constantly and repeatedly being linked with us. Should you qualify for the Champions' League this season, I doubt they'll leave, but as for next year (City's big spending will continue, Chelsea will no doubt strengthen), it will definitely become a lot more difficult for Tottenham to secure top European football.
Spurs spent virtually zero (0.5m net) this January, despite having a huge increase in income this season from the CL and improved sponsorship deals. IF the same level of income becomes guaranteed for next season as well (by virtue of another top 4 finish) - and if this is further boosted by money we can raise from selling on-loan players like Bentley, Keane, O'Hara and Dos Santos - then Spurs will have a huge pot of cash available, no problems in keeping the players they have and no problems in attracting additional top players.

Is a CL-less City or Chelsea (IF Spurs cause one of these two to miss out on top 4 this season) going to be able to do better than Spurs in the transfer window this summer? I doubt it.

Donkey's Ears

It's your wage bill you need to worry about. You've done everything so far by being incredibly savvy with wages. Reinforcing the squad and keeping players will be expensive.

It will be interesting to see what route Levy takes. Up to now, he's always been willing to sell players at a premium.

johnmufc

I liked Modric before he was popular. I created a thread advocating this signing in the summer of 2009.

He would be perfect. A Modric/Carrick midfield would be incredible. One of Fletcher or Anderson could be added for certain games.

However, now that Spurs are a competitive team, we will never get him.

Sultan

Is a CL-less City or Chelsea (IF Spurs cause one of these two to miss out on top 4 this season) going to be able to do better than Spurs in the transfer window this summer? I doubt it.
Quite easily

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Is anybody subscribing to the online version of the NOTW? This is the full article:
Sir Alex Ferguson wants Luka Modric at Manchester United| News Of The World
People pay to read this !!!

Here's the free bit.

LUKA MODRIC is wanted by Sir Alex Ferguson as a £35million summer replacement for Paul Scholes.

The Manchester United boss has targeted Tottenham star Modric as he tries to reshape his midfield with three key signings for next season.

Also on his list are Everton's Jack Rodwell and Sunderland's Jordan Henderson as Fergie prepares his side for a new era of dominance.
Must admit I can't for the life of me work out why Fergie keeps giving his lists of preferred players to the journos. :confused:

Other than that I just can't see us paying £35m for Modric. Can't see us paying £35m for any midfielder.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Quite easily
Really?

With no CL to offer (in contrast to Spurs in the scenario I outlined)?

With the new financial rules coming into force (which affect sugar-daddy clubs like City and Chelsea far more than a club like Spurs)?

With Tevez likely to leave City this summer regardless?

With Spurs improved profile across Europe due to this season's CL campaign successes?

With Spurs having oodles of self-generated cash to spend this summer if they so wish?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Modric is out of reach now. If Newcastle can get 35m for Carroll then Spurs would want at least 45 for their midfielder. We should have gone for him much earlier but we preferred to spend the cash on value signings like Tosic, Obertan and Bebe.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Modric is out of reach now. If Newcastle can get 35m for Carroll then Spurs would want at least 45 for their midfielder. We should have gone for him much earlier but we preferred to spend the cash on value signings like Tosic, Obertan and Bebe.
This summers transfer season will be a strange one. I think the whole Carrol/Torres thing was the last throw of the dice before the fairplay regs start to come into real force. Can see a lot of players pricing dropping down over the next few seasons.

Redrage

Please god let this happen, i'll give-up something dear if this really happens.

I'm not sure if either Modric/Bale will happen, but it sure seems like Redknapp is preparing himself for a battle and pressuring the board to make sure they aren't allowed to leave

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I'm not sure if either Modric/Bale will happen, but it sure seems like Redknapp is preparing himself for a battle and pressuring the board to make sure they aren't allowed to leave
Considering Modric only signed a six year deal recently I doubt it as well.