Luka Modric / Signs for Real Madrid

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
Would rather Hamsik or Pastore first,
Pastore wouldn't fit in as easily at United imo - i don't think he would be comfortable in a 442, as Modric has shown himself to be. Hamsik can play 442, but his natural game is restricted when he does so. As he matures he could become a beast of a 442 midfielder.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Are you suggesting Tevez is irreplaceable?
No, I'm saying that if he goes he'll create a big hole in City's squad/first XI that they'll need to fill adequately (in the summer transfer window) even just to stand still, far less improve.

Spurs face no such looming loss of a key player this summer. And so the likely loss of Tevez is one more reason (amongst the several I gave) as to why City would not be likely to do better than Spurs - in the hypothetical scenario outlined - in the summer window.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
No, I'm saying that if he goes he'll create a big hole in City's squad/first XI that they'll need to fill adequately (in the summer transfer window) even just to stand still, far less improve.

Spurs face no such looming loss of a key player this summer. And so the likely loss of Tevez is one more reason (amongst the several I gave) as to why City would not be likely to do better than Spurs - in the hypothetical scenario outlined - in the summer window.
City will gain far more by getting rid of Tevez than keeping him. Currently he acts like he is too big for the club and holds them to ransom. A thing totally not conducive to any side that wants to enter the big boys league.

Or and Chelsea will always be able to attract better players than
Spurs can hope to do. In or outside the champions league. That's what trophy wining does for you.

I'm always right

City will gain far more by getting rid of Tevez than keeping him. Currently he acts like he is too big for the club and hold them to ransom. A thing totally not conducive to any side that wants to enter the big boys league.
What? Even with all the money they've spent they'd be nowhere near the CL without Tevez. I can't see how they will "gain more by getting rid".

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
City will gain far more by getting rid of Tevez than keeping him. Currently he acts like he is too big for the club and hold them to ransom. A thing totally not conducive to any side that wants to enter the big boys league.

Spurs can hope to do. In or outside the champions league. That's what trophy wining does for you.
He's been one of their best players. They'll miss him.

He's been one of their best players. They'll miss him.
At first yes. In the long term, I don't think so. His holding them to ransom is far from a good thing at this stage of their development. I'm certain if they don't sell him next summer, they will try their hardest to wean themselves from their Tevez addiction.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Actually according to that article on NOTW, Modric has a release clause at 35M Pounds, assuming for one second that this report is true(which I doubt), do you think he is worth that amount?

wr8_utd

:'(
How will City gain more by selling a striker who has got them 50 goals in the last 73 games?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
City will gain far more by getting rid of Tevez than keeping him. Currently he acts like he is too big for the club and holds them to ransom. A thing totally not conducive to any side that wants to enter the big boys league.

The idea that City will be better off without Tevez cannot be taken seriously - he has been their standout player.

Re. Chelsea: the trophy-winning factor is just one of many. You've ignored the other factors I cited:

* No CL football to offer (assuming, as I did for argument's sake, that Chelsea don't finish in the top 4 this season).

* The looming impact of the financial fair play rules. These will hit Chelsea, but won't affect Spurs.

* The cash wad available to Spurs this summer (especially assuming, as I did for argument's sake, that Spurs again finish in the top 4 this season).

* The improved profile of Spurs following this season in the CL.

MarkC

Would take him in a heartbeat. Only decision I would find hard is deciding between him and Sneijder. Sneijder has done it on the big stage Modric not so much but makes up for it by being proven in the premiership. I think £40 million would get him my only concerns would be that it might stop Anderson getting some of the chances he needs.

Right now things are going well at Spurs so it's hard to see him leaving. Thing is though it's all well saying Spurs don't need/want to sell and yep they are doing well but for a footballer your dream is always to play for one of the giants of world football and sometimes when you get the chance you would worry if you pass it up it might not come again. So all down to what the player wants as is the way with football these days.

The idea that City will be better off without Tevez cannot be taken seriously - he has been their standout player..
That is what people said when Juventus sold Zidane to Real Madrid.

Re. Chelsea: the trophy-winning factor is just one of many. You've ignored the other factors I cited:
Because they all don't come close to trophy wining. You are truly joking if you even for a second believe one season out of the champions league would stop a Chelsea attracting players.

Financially you lot aren't even close.

Also incase you have noticed Chelsea have some outstanding youth who will be taking up the mantle next season. Chelsea can add a few experienced new faces for the short term to beef that up. There is really no realistic scenario in which Spurs would be in a superior position to Chelsea when it comes to getting in top players.

Donut

If we press hard for him and he's ambitious he'll come, just like Berbatov.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
If we press hard for him and he's ambitious he'll come, just like Berbatov.
If they make the CL and at his relatively young age, he won't be desperate enough to make a big deal out of it like Berba did. Hell, even if they don't make the CL I expect he'd prefer to give them at least one more year. If they don't make it the year after that, that's when I expect both Modric and Bale to start making noises. I'd be quite surprised if they leave before then.

Alex

Things happen fast City will probably lodge a huge bid for on them and then the offers will fly in and they will be gone

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
City have Adebayor/Ballotelli/Dzeko/Tevez.... and they still play shite football...

Anyhow, back to Modric, sign him for 35m ! He has the potential to be one of the best CM's in this world if he went to the right place.

Spurs still lack a decent CF and their defense is no where near as good as ours. Modric will turn one of the best CM's if he moves to us imo.

VoetbalWizard

Juventus gains were primarily due to match fixing Post Zidane
funny i read this today. is this the same juve that blew out madrid 3-1 in the return leg at the delle alpi in 2002-2003 cl semi? Just was thinking of the game yesterday. Nedved was magic that game (along with del piero).

finneh

Did United gain far more when we sold Ronaldo? Also why didn't we sell Rooney if this was the case?

Did United gain far more when we sold Ronaldo?
We are still in the process of finding out.

Also why didn't we sell Rooney if this was the case?
Because unlike City, we are a big club. Us being held to ransom at one point in time won't change the outside perspective of us. City IMO lack that luxury.

ben_foster

On Loan to Watford
hamsik and pastore!!!!! who the feck are they!!!?? if somebody on here can tell me that they have watched they play 90 minues on more than one occasion i would be amazed. therefore how the hell can people come out with statment that they are better than modric, more suited to us etc etc

ben_foster

On Loan to Watford
funny i read this today. is this the same juve that blew out madrid 3-1 in the return leg at the delle alpi in 2002-2003 cl semi? Just was thinking of the game yesterday. Nedved was magic that game (along with del piero).
and that big uruguayan bloke up front. zalayete or something he was called!!! looked like a right handfull him and potentially a good premiership player. then dissappeared

towcester_red

Football Manager influences too many people

Modric would be by far the best we could attract this summer in my opinion. Probably out of our price range though, despite our much talked about 'war chest'

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
.... Because they all don't come close to trophy wining. You are truly joking if you even for a second believe one season out of the champions league would stop a Chelsea attracting players.

Financially you lot aren't even close.

Also incase you have noticed Chelsea have some outstanding youth who will be taking up the mantle next season. Chelsea can add a few experienced new faces for the short term to beef that up. There is really no realistic scenario in which Spurs would be in a superior position to Chelsea when it comes to getting in top players.
I haven't said that Chelsea will be unable to attract top players. I've said that they won't be able to outcompete Spurs in the transfer market this summer IF Spurs again qualify for the CL and Chelsea don't.

Financially we will be close this summer (especially if we again finish 4th) because: (a) Spurs will have built-up a very large war-chest; and (b) the new financial regs will curb Chelsea's ability to spend big on transfers using money that the club itself has not generated (the 70m they've just spent in January may well be their last big hurrah).

Chelsea may well have "some outstanding youth who will be taking up the mantle next season", but (a) these youth players may have do their further developing in the Europa League (rather than in the CL) for the time being; and (b) Spurs already have some excellent youth/young players themselves (some of whom are already in our first XI/1st team squad), as well having a squad whose age profile overall is lower than that of Chelsea's.

Zen86

Like it or not Spurs are raising a few eyebrows at the moment, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were a more attractive proposition than Chelsea already.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
hamsik and pastore!!!!! who the feck are they!!!?? if somebody on here can tell me that they have watched they play 90 minues on more than one occasion i would be amazed. therefore how the hell can people come out with statment that they are better than modric, more suited to us etc etc
I have watched almost every Hamsik Napoli game of the previous 2 seasons and about 10 this season (he's been a bit poor this season though by his standards even though he's on course to score more goals this season then any other). I have followed Pastore since I first heard we were linked with him and was singing his praises before everyone else caught on. At the moment neither are as good as Modric is right now but both will surpass Modric when they reach the same age, and Pastore will be a Balon Do'r. Pastore alone is more skillful than Modric is right now and just needs the consistency of experience to make him surpass Modric which he will achiev very soon. Therefore I can easily make a statement with regards to their ability or suitability.

finneh

"

We are still in the process of finding out.

Because unlike City, we are a big club. Us being held to ransom at one point in time won't change the outside perspective of us. City IMO lack that luxury.
We are still in the process of finding out whether United has gained by selling Ronaldo? Are you high? Anyone with half a brain could tell you that losing the best player in the world is going to be hugely counter-productive in any team.

Even if Tevez was effectively calling his teammates poor, questioning the manager or throwing a fit when substituted on a regular basis (which Rooney/Ronaldo did but Tevez hasn't seemed too), they'd still be better off with him than without him unless they bought a better player to replace him. Of which there is probably only 4-5 centre forwards in the world (3 of which have just signed long term deals) that fall into that category.

I'd like a City fans' opinion on whether they'd be better with or without Tevez next season.

Also in reference to us being held to ransom at one point not changing outside opinion I agree. However City are in the incredible position that almost no other team is in, in that they could let Tevez rot in the reserves for 3-4 years without even close to feeling a financial impact. Letting a world class player rot in the reserves would almost instantly change "outside perspective" for the better - "if you feck with us you destroy your own career".

I haven't said that Chelsea will be unable to attract top players. I've said that they won't be able to outcompete Spurs in the transfer market this summer IF Spurs again qualify for the CL and Chelsea don't.

Financially we will be close this summer (especially if we again finish 4th) because: (a) Spurs will have built-up a very large war-chest; and (b) the new financial regs will curb Chelsea's ability to spend big on transfers using money that the club itself has not generated (the 70m they've just spent in January may well be their last big hurrah).

Chelsea may well have "some outstanding youth who will be taking up the mantle next season", but (a) these youth players may have do their further developing in the Europa League (rather than in the CL) for the time being; and (b) Spurs already have some excellent youth/young players themselves (some of whom are already in our first XI/1st team squad), as well having a squad whose age profile overall is lower than that of Chelsea's.
Too many caveats to Spurs being a stronger pull than Chelsea (given the chance of Spurs qualifying in lieu of Chelsea). Although I agree that if they did you might have a point. If you don't qualify however I'm sure the "war chest" you talk of would amount to £15-20m.

Also in ref. to Chelsea's apparant "outstanding youth" I tend to agree that I havn't seen anything from them in a competitive game to say they will be any better than Spurs' young players.

I don't see the difference. They have Abramovich, you don't. I mean a man who can easily spend 70m in January can spend much more in the summer.

Furthermore, they win trophies, you don't. You can't compete period! Accept it.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

City have reached an interesting stage now. They have a big squad filled with lots of players just under the 'top 5 in the world in that position' bracket. Tevez is perhaps the only player who possibly qualifies.

They've tried to sign real marquee players and failed. I'm not convinced qualifying for the CL will make that much of a difference now. The players they need to go up another level will still be extremely difficult to sign. Keeping Tevez is vital.

We are still in the process of finding out whether United has gained by selling Ronaldo? Are you high?
No. Are you?

Anyone with half a brain could tell you that losing the best player in the world is going to be hugely counter-productive in any team.
The same when anyone with even one working brain cell can see we are still in the process of seeing what selling Ronaldo has benfited us. For incase you hadn't noticed, his sale coincided with us starting to re-builid the entire team. A re-building job that is only half way done. The final chapter comes next summer. If the re-building flunks you can then say we gained nada from letting Ron go.

Even if Tevez was effectively calling his teammates poor, questioning the manager or throwing a fit when substituted on a regular basis (which Rooney/Ronaldo did but Tevez hasn't seemed too), they'd still be better off with him than without him unless they bought a better player to replace him. Of which there is probably only 4-5 centre forwards in the world (3 of which have just signed long term deals) that fall into that category.
All of which City have the money to easily buy. On top other plays to strengthen their side further t make it more of top unit than a one man band

Also in reference to us being held to ransom at one point not changing outside opinion I agree. However City are in the incredible position that almost no other team is in, in that they could let Tevez rot in the reserves for 3-4 years without even close to feeling a financial impact. Letting a world class player rot in the reserves would almost instantly change "outside perspective" for the better - "if you feck with us you destroy your own career".
True. But their owners wouldn't see the point. I honestly believe they will sale Tevez in the summer. They just tolerated his antics because they knew selling him in Jan would feck up any chance of them making a champions league place. Despite popular belief they are sharper than most think.