Luka Modric / Signs for Real Madrid

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I can't see for the life of me fail to see how the sale of Ronaldo has benefited United on the pitch.

Who am I to argue with the Chief.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
That won't get them attract better quality of player than Chelsea. Which Glaston is claiming will happen.
Agree with you, but its a lot closer than it was. Spurs' stock has risen a lot over the last couple of years, and will do so further if they qualify for the CL again. There seems to be buzz around them at the moment. They play good football and White Hart Lane is a real good stadium to play in when the crowd are on song.

finneh

I can't see for the life of me fail to see how the sale of Ronaldo has benefited United on the pitch.

The only possible way I could see his argument being semi-viable is saying "Rooney played better last season and Berbatov has played better this season to try to compensate". But that's like saying it's beneficial to stab yourself in the eyes because then your other senses heighten.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

Agreed. The potential of using that £80m and buying three very good players might improve the overall product, but it hasn't happened yet and theres no guarantee that it will. Far from it in fact.

Sam

I still don't see the fuss tbh. Good player? Yes without doubt. £30/35 million + player? Not for me.

*Ducks for cover*

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Besides, that video is also a useful reminder of just how effective a player Valencia can be. All the more reason to find a way to play them both in the same team.
Good point. Can't wait to have The Machine back.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Agree with you, but its a lot closer than it was. Spurs' stock has risen a lot over the last couple of years, and will do so further if they qualify for the CL again. There seems to be buzz around them at the moment. They play good football and White Hart Lane is a real good stadium to play in when the crowd are on song.
It is closer, I agree. But Cheslea's trophy wining ability still puts them ahead.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I still don't see the fuss tbh. Good player? Yes without doubt. £30/35 million + player? Not for me.

*Ducks for cover*
Thats the big downside with Modric. No way will Spurs let us have him cheap, and while I don't think it would go as high as £35m I can't see us getting much change from £30m.

Quality player though, but regarding the earlier question in this thread I'd take Bale over Modric at the moment. We need Modric more, but Bale could become a truly phenomenal player.

finneh

*Ducks for cover*
I agree to be honest. I've watched him a hell of a lot and he is consistantly good with the occasional really good game, but apart from these rareish occasions I really can't see a £30-35m player in him.

I guess the only thing is £30-35m doesn't seem to get you a lot these days.

Alex

*Ducks for cover*
Prices for players are inflated, so in today's market a 25 year old Modric is easily worth 30-35 million pounds.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Prices for players are inflated, so in today's market a 25 year old Modric is easily worth 30-35 million pounds.
No one is worth the fees paid today. Everyone is overpriced. And it's pricing many clubs right out of the market. United aren't going to pay 40m for a player. Especially Modric. And he ain't going for 30-35m when Carroll does.

Mainoldo

No one is worth the fees paid today. Everyone is overpriced. And it's pricing many clubs right out of the market. United aren't going to pay 40m for a player. Especially Modric. And he ain't going for 30-35m when Carroll does.
Well you either pay the price or somewhere near the figure or buy knowone. We can all moan about prices but at the end of the day we will be waiting a long time if we are waiting for them to go down. Sometimes you've got to just ride the wave of the market.

Chrisjn

If we want him and Tottenham plays next season not in the UEFA-Champions League then we get him.
I'm affraid it's not that black and white.

Tottenham will want an absolute fortune, a fortune we may be unwilling to pay. The only way the price could come down is if he puts in a transfer request, and no one knows what he wants at this moment in time. Then there is always City, Chelsea and Madrid sniffing around.

It's not just a case of, if we want him, we get him...

Name Changed

weso26
I honestly don't think Modric will be worth the money that we will have to pay for him. He is a quality player, but not worth what Spurs will charge us.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
We won't be signing him regardless of where spurs finish this season, I really don't see how people can think we will.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Can you see Modric staying if they finish 5th and realistically have zero chance of major trophies next season?
With the length of contract he's recently signed and the kind of transfer fee Spuds would demand, yes absolutely.

Drifter

American
SPURS have moved to fend off growing interest from Europe’s top clubs by slapping a whopping £50million price-tag on Croatian star Luka Modric.

And they say they won’t even listen to offers below that staggering sum.

The Daily Star Sunday revealed two months ago that Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man United and Chelsea are all chasing Modric, 25.

But Spurs boss Harry *Redknapp has told chairman Daniel Levy that the playmaker is irreplaceable and vital to the club’s dream of becoming a regular part of Europe’s elite.

A Spurs source confirmed: “Both manager and chairman are hell-bent on keeping Luka at White Hart Lane. It would take at least £50million to tempt them to sell this summer.”

Right now Spurs are in the driving seat as Modric is only 12 months into a £70,000-a-week six-year contract.

But much will depend on whether the north Londoners qualify for the Champions League again next season.

If they miss out, the task of keeping Modric happy could prove impossible.

But Spurs would still demand more than treble the club record they paid for him in 2008.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Looking at the qualiyy that came in from Europe in January, there seems to be some great possibilities around 25m.

If Modric was playing in Europe, I guess that would be his valuation, but any player who has played in the Premiership, & is any good, seems to demand an inflated price tag.

Shimo

I watched the Spurs match over the weekend and more and more understand the lovefest with this guy.

There was this one particular play where he got the ball in a really tight situation and was being sandwiched by two West Ham players and just worked his way out of it - his use of the ball is so good. The way he just dictated play for me made me want Spurs to win on the day.

Granted I haven't watched the Hamsik's as much but, Modric playing in our midfield would be brilliant and I'd say well worth 30 mil if that's what it takes, I think he'd take our CM to another level.

x42bn6

Looking at the qualiyy that came in from Europe in January, there seems to be some great possibilities around 25m.

If Modric was playing in Europe, I guess that would be his valuation, but any player who has played in the Premiership, & is any good, seems to demand an inflated price tag.
Nothing to do with the fact he's a brilliant player, then?

Zen

Godric > Fabregas

Difference is he plays for Spurs, you don't £50m hype until you play for a good team.

Point Prunier

Godric > Fabregas

Difference is he plays for Spurs, you don't £50m hype until you play for a good team.
Think i'm inclined to agree; on current performance.

Given the choice between him and Fabregas I’d probably still go for the latter.

Who qualifies as a good team? Are Liverpool in the list?

I'd say prices are usually dictated by the financial landscape of the club, and also the circumstances around the transfer.

Take the Beckham deal for £25m. Bit cheap I thought.

Kaos

I'd take Modric for £30million easily. Whether we have that kind of money to spend is another issue altogether.

Point Prunier

I'd say £75/80M at today's prices.
Reckon you'll get about £35m.

"today's prices" only work if City end up buying him.

Ronado went for £80m because that's what he was worth. That wasn't a grotesquely inflated price - tbh I think we probably should have got a little more.

What happened on the final day of the English transfer window shouldn't be used as a yard stick for all future transfers - particularly to clubs playing abroad.

Fabregas is an outstanding player for you. But no way is he worth £75/80m