Luka Modric

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I know it's an old thread but I think the other one is focused on who are the best CMs rather than anything.

I just wanted to post this:

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Another international title goes begging for him. Unlucky.

He must be one of the fittest players ever, playing in yet another extra time.

Real Name

He'll renew with Madrid for another year. Question for all of us Croatia fans is will he stick with NT until the Euros.

Canagel

Been seeing some intresting takes about him on the timeline. A lot of stinker performances being covered up by the media.

So how consistent is he really? Or do people just wait for CL nights to crown him as the best?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Been seeing some intresting takes about him on the timeline. A lot of stinker performances being covered up by the media.

So how consistent is he really? Or do people just wait for CL nights to crown him as the best?
He's 38 years old, the big games and moments are what matter far more and always have anyway. At his age he shouldn't be expected to have consistency, it's incredible he even plays so much at this point really. The fact that he still has world class big games when everyone is actually watching him at this stage of his career is why he gets so much praise. It's a great achievement.

Look at Lukaku. Has done feck all in big games and big moments but had a lot of consistency in the rest of the games, scored tons of goals that would otherwise have him down as an iconic striker of this generation. Yet nobody cares because he's useless in big games and he's at Roma now. Yes teams need consistency throughout, but what will get you praise and iconic remembrance is the big games.

Idxomer

He hasn't been great or consistent in the last 12 months. The media loves their narratives but you can't expect him to be always good at his age.

Enigma_87

You know who
Central midfielder dropping an occasional stinker at the age of 38.. Shocking.

GlasgowCeltic

Can’t be long until we see the inevitable tweets about how Odegaard already is better than Modric ever was

Canagel

He's 38 years old, the big games and moments are what matter far more and always have anyway. At his age he shouldn't be expected to have consistency, it's incredible he even plays so much at this point really. The fact that he still has world class big games when everyone is actually watching him at this stage of his career is why he gets so much praise. It's a great achievement.

Look at Lukaku. Has done feck all in big games and big moments but had a lot of consistency in the rest of the games, scored tons of goals that would otherwise have him down as an iconic striker of this generation. Yet nobody cares because he's useless in big games and he's at Roma now. Yes teams need consistency throughout, but what will get you praise and iconic remembrance is the big games.
Being 38 years old doesnt matter if we are being honest. If Real have deemed him worthy to be in the squad that means he should be delivering. And he hasnt stepped down to a lower class team so clearly believes he has things to offer them at the highest level.

Also the 38 years old point becomes irrevelant when you see how often Real have failed to win the league during the last 10 years. there is a question mark for me over his consistency.

Why should his stinkers be covered up just because casuals cant be bothered to watch him week in week out and just follow the media narratives? Other players get killed for their lack of consistency, the bar should be the same for everyone no?

Canagel

Central midfielder dropping an occasional stinker at the age of 38.. Shocking.
See my post above. And they are supposedly not occasional but a frequent occurence that goes under the radar.

Last edited:

Taribo's Gap

He's not even a guaranteed starter anymore. His role this season is to play the occasional game, help ease the transition into the new midfield as the younger players find their feet, provide leadership and mentorship to the new crop of stars and provide the occasional moment of inspired brilliance, of which he is still capable.

Given his role and stage in his career, are people expecting a media onslaught because he is off it in a few games? That would be weird for a player who is a legend of Real Madrid, and really of the game as a whole and has been pretty unproblematic his whole career. What would that even accomplish? Buy more midfielders! Oh...wait.

Is anyone suggesting he is still the best right now? I've seen people talking about him like that in the historical sense, but pretty much everyone well knows that these are the dying embers of a brilliant career.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Being 38 years old doesnt matter if we are being honest. If Real have deemed him worthy to be in the squad that means he should be delivering. And he hasnt stepped down to a lower class team so clearly believes he has things to offer them at the highest level.

Also the 38 years old point becomes irrevelant when you see how often Real have failed to win the league during the last 10 years. there is a question mark for me over his consistency.

Why should his stinkers be covered up just because casuals cant be bothered to watch him week in week out and just follow the media narratives? Other players get killed for their lack of consistency, the bar should be the same for everyone no?
Because he steps it up when it matters. The CL is what matters most for Real Madrid. They build their team and their season on winning that competition and doing well in that competition. They aren't that bothered of the others. So Modrić doing great in international competitions and the CL means he will go down as an all time great and people won't care about his alleged inconsistency in the league, much the same as Zidane in the past. I can't speak to that inconsistency, as I frankly don't care to watch those other games. What matters for me in terms of legacy is a player doing it on the biggest stages, which he has done time and time again.

And the "he's 38" point matters in terms of - his legacy is already locked in. He's there now to still bring the big games, be a mentor, the odd world class performances and then the rest is whatever. Phase out slowly.

Enigma_87

You know who

No, it shouldn't without context.
It's not Modric fault Real don't have anyone else to step in for him when he can't play week in and week out. That doesn't mean he is not useful for them in big games where class is most of the time permanent. It's squad management and it's on Real to do it properly. If they overplay him it's natural at this age for him to slow down.

It's same with young players you can't expect consistency of them compared to players at the peak of their powers.

Besides CL and league are entirely different competitions. In the league you can lose several games and catch up. In CL one tie and you are out.

Canagel

No strong feelings on your general point, but where are those ratings from and why are we supposed to care about them?
Dont be obtuse, you know what the ratings show.
Either you are deliberately choosing to ignore the valid points I have made or you are just another one of the supporters that just follow headlines blindly.
Because he steps it up when it matters. The CL is what matters most for Real Madrid. They build their team and their season on winning that competition and doing well in that competition. They aren't that bothered of the others. So Modrić doing great in international competitions and the CL means he will go down as an all time great and people won't care about his alleged inconsistency in the league, much the same as Zidane in the past. I can't speak to that inconsistency, as I frankly don't care to watch those other games. What matters for me in terms of legacy is a player doing it on the biggest stages, which he has done time and time again.

And the "he's 38" point matters in terms of - his legacy is already locked in. He's there now to still bring the big games, be a mentor, the odd world class performances and then the rest is whatever. Phase out slowly.
You dont know that. I feel like that is just a coping mechanism you have made up to cover up the underlying inconsistency.

And I feel like if he was turning up in the small games but ghosting in the big games you would claim the opposite. There is no unimportant game for a big player. All games matter the same if you are a top player. The CL is a cup competition with a luck factor attached to it so using it alone to justify his greatness is unwise.

Infact someone turning up vs PSG or City in the CL should be more than expected to perform against smaller teams in the league or big games against local rivals like Atletico in the league.

Or are you really claiming that Real deliberately choose not to turn up aginst Osasuna or Celta Vigo ie the easy matchups but magically turn up for a handful of knockout games purely out of not being bothered ?
How do you even manage to fail against the easy team but show out against a big opponent? Even logically that makes no sense.

Its like saying I can do Algebra but I cant multiply numbers. Do you realize how stupid that sounds?

Why not put two and two together and acknoledge that the lack of consistency and quality being shown by him in a week by week format is being covered up while the few big encounters have been blown up and coupled with the media hype has affected people's opinion like yourself who would happily admit to not watching him play outside of those said big encounters under the lights?

If you guys (in general) want to put him on the table next to the Xavi's and Iniesta's of the world you should hold him to the same standard, thats all I'm saying.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Expected better from you tbh.
Que?

To be clear, Modric is a legend. One of the greatest midfielders of his generation. His story is for the most part complete.

It is also true that his reputation in the past few years has been based on performances in a few games per season. And for casuals that is what matters the most.

Real Name

Que?

To be clear, Modric is a legend. One of the greatest midfielders of his generation. His story is for the most part complete.

It is also true that his reputation in the past few years has been based on performances in a few games per season. And for casuals that is what matters the most.
Ah I see. Agree then. Also it helps he's still going strong on international level and will, if nothing serious happens, play in Euros too.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Ah I see. Agree then. Also it helps he's still going strong on international level and will, if nothing serious happens, play in Euros too.
Definitely, he's aged like a fine wine.

My biannual reminder that @Scholesy was right about Modric and like a prophet was shunned in his own forum

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
If you guys (in general) want to put him on the table next to the Xavi's and Iniesta's of the world you should hold him to the same standard, thats all I'm saying.
Well yeah, by age 38, Xavi and Iniesta had already been in Qatar for 3 years and Japan for 4 years, respectively.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Dont be obtuse, you know what the ratings show.
Either you are deliberately choosing to ignore the valid points I have made or you are just another one of the supporters that just follow headlines blindly.
No, I don’t know what the ratings show, nor do I know where they’re from. Which is why I asked you “where are the ratings from and why are we supposed to care”

And I have him below Xavi and below Iniesta. So answer my question

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
He should play a bit at the end when the games are under control, but he is no longer fit to start an away derby, and even less so when paired with Kroos.
As they say in Madrid, a political line-up, of a veteran who refuses to give up and is not happy on the bench.
In the end it does him a disservice as he ends up much more negatively noted , like Marcelo back in the day.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Has this post being made because you have nothing productive to add to the conversation? It looks like it. Pity.
Hold on chief, you just ignored my question and accused me of blindly supporting Modric, you can’t have it both ways

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Modric is very obviously now on a [steep] decline now at the age of 38, but the past 12 months don't mean his "consistency was overrated" or that "casuals" have been overhyping him.

Canagel

No, I don’t know what the ratings show, nor do I know where they’re from. Which is why I asked you “where are the ratings from and why are we supposed to care”

And I have him below Xavi and below Iniesta. So answer my question
Sofascore if Im not mistaken. Are you saying you dont know why you should care to discuss ratings that show up inconsistent performances? What are you even talking about?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Sofascore if Im not mistaken. Are you saying you dont know why you should care to discuss ratings that show up inconsistent performances? What are you even talking about?
I’m saying that you shouldn’t use random website ratings as a barometer for how a player is doing. Watch the games and judge for yourself. This is Real Madrid we’re talking about, it’s incredibly easy to watch their games.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I love it when posters bring up rating systems like this and the whoscored one and quote it as objective truth, like it's fecking FM. :lol:

It's complete bollocks. Let's take one game from last week:

• Reguilon was United's brightest player and MOTM by miles in the caf poll: 6.1. Second lowest rated player on the whole team.
  • Onana concedes 4 goals including one of the worst howlers you'll see: 7.0. One of the highest ratings in the match.
  • In the actual game, Musiala is the best player on the pitch and it isn't even close... but Kane passes it sideways to Sane once for an assist and knocks in a penalty as is rated much higher.
  • Casemiro is a turnstile all game long, has rings run around him by Musiala, but scores two goals (including one he knew nothing about), so he gets 8.5 and is joint MOTM with Kane who also did very little.
  • Davies bosses Pellistri all game long, who isn't able to get anything from him at all. Pellistri is rated higher.
It's clearly an absolute joke. Why would you even think of using it as an actual argument.

Enigma_87

You know who
His question is pretty relevant. We don't know which are those matches you quoted. How the ranking system works. Who judges those rankings as different journos rate different players differently and so forth.

EDIT: what VO also just pointed out above me...

Taribo's Gap

It's a weird hot take tweet that is devoid of context. What season are these ratings from? What competition? I'm assuming they are talking about his performances this year.

If so, how does it make sense to make retroactive judgments about a player's career or a particular facet of their game based on their performances at age 38? It would be one thing if these ratings were from throughout his career, but if it's this year...who cares? Consistency is, by definition, about year-over-year, not a snapshot at the end of someone's career. It would be like showing clips from Ronaldo's last United season and on that basis going "Bro, Ronaldo agility insane....meanwhile Ronaldo agility." Like...duh.

So all this talk of failing to win league titles at Real Madrid and his historical placement as a midfielder is a bit weird if the impetus for them is a tweet that shows his performance ratings in his grandpa season.

In short: if you want to make the case that Modric's consistency and longevity have been overrated over his career and, as a result of that, his career and standing in the game are overrated, find better hot take tweets. Or better yet, just make the case yourself.

Canagel

I’m saying that you shouldn’t use random website ratings as a barometer for how a player is doing. Watch the games and judge for yourself. This is Real Madrid we’re talking about, it’s incredibly easy to watch their games.
The ratings are accurate and judge your general play. That is what they are for in the first place.

He was very poor yesterday on many peoples accounts and my first post with his rating from the Madrid derby made by the live app confirms what the people saw.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
The ratings are accurate and judge your general play. That is what they are for in the first place.

He was very poor yesterday on many peoples accounts and my first post with his rating from the Madrid derby made by the live app confirms what the people saw.
The posters above me have explained the reasoning for my stance far better than I could have. But if you feel differently then fair enough that’s your call.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I really don’t understand what the message is here. That a 38 years old player is declining? We all know that.

Canagel

His question is pretty relevant. We don't know which are those matches you quoted. How the ranking system works. Who judges those rankings as different journos rate different players differently and so forth.

EDIT: what VO also just pointed out above me...
See my post above.

The second post shows a series of questionable performances which back up the first post that was his rating from yesterdays derby in which Madrid were comfortably beaten by Atletico. I dont know which exact games they are but I think they were recent. They take into account lots of different aspects of general play so I dont use them solely to judge players but they can help confirm a players level if you didnt see the game live.

The ratings are just a confirmation of what is going on in the pitch. A lot of Madrid supporters are blaming Ancelotti for blind loyalty to Modric and Kroos and want them dropped.