Lukaku: Aguero successor

meamth

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ofile-for-man-citys-sergio-aguero-replacement

"Then the other players City have looked at, Romelu Lukaku, Lautaro Martinez… they are all of the same type of mould, even Danny Ings, he's a player that is a central striker and they clearly want someone who can be in and around the box and score goals. That's the kind of player they're profiling.
This podcast got me laughing in the inside, Lukaku? What are they smoking? Romelu Lukaku + Pep?
I know for sure he will struggle with the ball playing aspect of it.

Let's do the hypothetical, if Lukaku moved to City..can he do it?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He will score bucket loads unfortunately if he went there.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
While he will score his fair share he'd make City a significantly worse off team so I'm all for it personally.

Walters_19_MuFc

City create chances and Lukaku is a proven goalscorer. I do; however, feel that City are better with a false 9 than an out and out forward.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Score a lot against the lower to mid table sides but I doubt he’d propel them to victories in big moments, against the best sides. Nowhere near a prime aguero (then again, how many have been?).

Good CF, but he’d weaken them significantly.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He will score 25-30 goals

EngimaMK

There is absolutely no way in hell that Pep would tolerate the ball ricocheting off his shins like a pinball and his inability to trap a simple 5 yard pass.

Simply a non-starter

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He would score lots but I would imagine that Pep will still bench him eventually if he’s ever going to go there. He’s not good enough technically, he doesn’t run even nearly enough — and he won’t score 60 goals per season to justify changing Pep’s entire system to fit him in.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Pep went for a more typical number 9 than he usually does, but that surely would be someone like Haaland and not Lukaku.

cyberman

This has been a credible rumour for a while now. More so than Haaland imo.

Doracle

There’s absolutely no way that Pep would sign a player with such a poor first touch. Not a chance City sign Lukaku.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He would score lots but I would imagine that Pep will still bench him eventually if he’s ever going to go there. He’s not good enough technically, he doesn’t run even nearly enough — and he won’t score 60 goals per season to justify changing Pep’s entire system to fit him in.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Pep went for a more typical number 9 than he usually does, but that surely would be someone like Haaland and not Lukaku.
Has ran on average further distance than Ronaldo, Lautaro Martinez, Lozano, Leao, Ramsey etc...this season.
The whole 'doesnt run or work hard enough' argument is a fallacy based on a poor season at United.
No doubt Haaland is first choice, but Lukaku is a more than capable second choice.

gajender

Guardiola didn't fancy Zlatan. A target man is simply not how he rolls.
Lukaku isn't a Target man never was but your point about Guardiola not being fan of Target man may have some substance but he didn't have any problem with Lewandowski at Bayern .

harms

Staff
Has ran on average further distance than Ronaldo, Lautaro Martinez, Lozano, Leao, Ramsey etc...this season.
The whole 'doesnt run or work hard enough' argument is a fallacy based on a poor season at United.
No doubt Haaland is first choice, but Lukaku is a more than capable second choice.
Ronaldo doesn’t run much & distance covered is not really a good metric anyway. Pressing activity is (and there are specific metric that judge that), and the lack of it led to Pep benching Agüero for Jesus when he just came in, until Agüero adapted and became way more involved.

hungrywing

+1 to all the 'obvious bs is obvious' posts.

If I'm running City and feel like and/or know Haaland's in the bag, this is exactly the kind of story I leak just to mess with the City-won't-be-in-for-Haaland-he-doesn't-fit-how-they-play United fans.

harms

Staff
Guardiola didn't fancy Zlatan. A target man is simply not how he rolls.
He wanted Zlatan, signed Zlatan for huge money and got him performing very well until Messi was moved centrally and there was no place for Zlatan at Barca anymore. At Bayern Pep used Lewandowski (who is way closer to Zlatan than Lukaku is in terms of style by the way) with great success.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
To be fair this is why I think Haaland at City wont scare me much as it sounds on paper.

The way Pep plays is so strict as a team and needing of passing and positioning abilities that having a pure clinical goalscorer that is making runs in to the box will effect the teams balance and ability to win CL trophies.

Maybe be wrong but let's see.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It would be a bad move for both parties. Lukaku would be a better fit at Chelsea than City.

Think Pep wants Messi and he is waiting for him to make a decision

Matriac

If I'm running City and feel like and/or know Haaland's in the bag, this is exactly the kind of story I leak just to mess with the City-won't-be-in-for-Haaland-he-doesn't-fit-how-they-play United fans.
That's totally what people who are in charge of big clubs think about doing. Oppo fans are the last thing on their mind.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Lukaku isn't, has never been and never will be a target man, so that line of analysis is redundant. We might have tried using him as one at times but that says more about our then ineptitude than it does about him as a player.

The problem isn't the type of striker he is (particularly given the other strikers they're being linked with) but rather his technical limitations in that role. It's hard to see Pep looking past that.

GlasgowCeltic

He'd be comfortably the second best striker in the Prem. Don't think his sensitive personality fits Peps micro management though

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Lukaku isn't a Target man never was but your point about Guardiola not being fan of Target man may have some substance but he didn't have any problem with Lewandowski at Bayern .
If Lukaku isn't a target man, he certainly isn't someone who participates in the build up. Lewandowski is an entirely different level though, probably the best striker of the last decade.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
This would be great. It would also mean they won't go for better striker in some time because they would try to fit him after spending good money on him.

hungrywing

That's totally what people who are in charge of big clubs think about doing. Oppo fans are the last thing on their mind.
Have a lot of experience running an ultra-competitive organization in any field? Actually, I'll lower the bar; do you have any experience running anything at all?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He wanted Zlatan, signed Zlatan for huge money and got him performing very well until Messi was moved centrally and there was no place for Zlatan at Barca anymore. At Bayern Pep used Lewandowski (who is way closer to Zlatan than Lukaku is in terms of style by the way) with great success.
He moved on from Zlatan once he realized he did not need a striker to score goals in his system and he could do with another creative midfielder. Even otherwise, both of them contribute much more to a build up than Lukaku does and Lewa is probably the best striker of this decade.

Zlatattack

Not a chance, especially to replace a gem like Aguero. If city want premier league proven - Harry Kane is worth breaking the bank for.

Boavista

For what it's worth Lukaku's build up and hold up play has really impressed me the few times I've watched Inter this season. The way he shields the ball and brings his teammates into play seems to have significantly improved compared to his time at United, so maybe that could actually work out at City. Although I think there may be better options. His first touch in tight spaces lets him down sometimes, and counterintuitively he isn't the big target man his frame suggests.

To the people saying Pep couldn't use Ibrahimovic, in that one season in Barcelona he started almost every Championsleague match, as well as most matches he was available in the league. Even his output wasn't really that bad. Ultimately it didn't work out, as they improved massively with Messi moving to the centre but it goes to show that Guardiola isn't averse to playing a proper striker.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I could imagine him scoring 25 goals before Christmas then spending the rest of the season on the bench out of sheer frustration from Pep.

Matriac

Have a lot of experience running an ultra-competitive organization in any field? Actually, I'll lower the bar; do you have any experience running anything at all?
As large as these football clubs, no, far from it.
But I have a fair share of experience.

Just think about it, why would they care about what fans of other clubs think. If the idea was to make United fans laugh cause they might get Lukaku instead of Haaland, what will their own fans think if the running story is they might get Lukaku instead of Haaland?

A reason to leak that a club is considering several players is to make the selling club and player nervous so they might lower the demands to get the deal in place. This isn't gonna work for Haaland since he will have so many other takers anyway. But it might get them a little better price on Lukaku, if they sign him before Haaland is sold and Lukaku moves up to be one of the few available candidates in the window.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’d throw in £20 to get Lukaku to City. That would be the worst move they could make and would offer their rivals a genuine opportunity to bridge the gap. I can’t actually believe there’s Utd fans who think he would do well after seeing him here, delusional.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
https://www.skysports.com/football/...ofile-for-man-citys-sergio-aguero-replacement

This podcast got me laughing in the inside, Lukaku? What are they smoking? Romelu Lukaku + Pep?
I know for sure he will struggle with the ball playing aspect of it.

Let's do the hypothetical, if Lukaku moved to City..can he do it?
It is amazing how people can be stuck around one flaw and build a agenda around that. Lukaku is striker who is scoring shit load of goals and he would be scoring even more in City.