Lukaku: Aguero successor

TsuWave

I'd be happy if they got him. Yeah, yeah, great goal scoring record, but I don't really fear Lukaku.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
I don't think it's that far-fetched.

This City team simply doesn't rely on a prolific striker. They haven't had one all year and they're doing fine. Their top scorer is a midfielder on 12 goals, and they've had 16 different scorers already.

So Lukaku would just be another piece in the puzzle that can be useful in games against the likes of Burnley, Crystal Palace, Newcastle, ... He's always done great against these types of teams (see also his Italian and Belgian NT career).

His insistence on playing every single game will be a problem though.

hungrywing

Your reply was directed at me, and I interpreted the reply to have a rude intention. I know it can be read as a question if you put in all the goodwill in the world possible, but you asking the question in that way assumes from the outlook that I have no experience. Or you would have at least tried to counter why I said that people who run big companies don't care about what oppo fans think.

You also didn't bother to reply to my earlier answer to you which further makes me think that your intention was not asking me a question, but you were trying to insult me cause you didn't like that I opposed your view.
I mean, my initial reply was done in a sarcastic manner since I found your theory silly, so I could to an extent understand you wanting to be rude back to me. But it's good to learn that you never meant it to be. Thus to answer you again, yes I do have experience managing organizations at various levels, but nothing as big as a top football club.
Good to see you own up to the fact that your initial reply was made in a negative spirit. Your response after that was a non-sequitur and thus not replied to.

If you found the 'theory' silly, that's fine. If you go back and read your initial reply you'll see that what you typed can easily be taken as if you knew for sure such things didn't happen. Which is also part of the reason why the non-sequitur post wasn't replied to: because they happen all the time.

If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin' applies all the way up the corporate food chain. The above-mentioned sort of media manipulation absolutely does happen (we do it, too.), the only main constraint being the size of the 'leak' and the manipulability/willingness of the journo in question.

Again, as very clearly mentioned in the first post, it's the type of thing that would only be done if the deal were sewn-up and one wanted to mess with the opposition and have the real players (other agencies, executives, etc) see that and recognize you were toying with your competition (in this case, us). Your Mendeses, your top sports agencies A, B through Z all knowing that the deal is actually done, and then seeing articles about City interested in Romelu Lukaku. All the real players know this is you reaming Woodward, who himself might be clueless.

It isn't a petty act. It's not to make fun of Woodward or demean him.

That kind of act can further twist the knife into your competition's back and increase other power players' contempt for them and weaken them, create fear in any potential ally for your competition, make other players not want to join them even more, etc etc. Of course, it can also make you look mean-spirited, so it's a double-edged sword in that sense; as mentioned earlier, it's risk/reward.

Yeah, sorry; it really is difficult to take anything you post in the FF seriously after all those people pointing out the numerous aforementioned cases of you viciously insulting other people's critiques only for them to quickly realize that you didn't even watch the match and then pointing said fact out and then you immediately falling silent. Other than that, you don't seem to be too bad in the covid thread.

Again, the causes behind that kind of behaviour are well-documented and even a middling/low-level psych person will be able to tell you why you do that and perhaps help you with it.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
That’s fair enough, although if we’re going by the literal definition, it would be the number of sprints as we’re talking about running and not walking. But since I meant it in a way that this phrase is usually used (and that’s my bad), as in describing the ability and willingness to participate in pressing, he’s pretty shit at it and Pep benched a peak Agüero for not pressing enough.
Yeah, I get that point, he does rate very low in the 'pressure' stats, so you definitely are correct in that.
However, the fact he rates pretty high in distance covered suggests that he is maybe making more forward runs than alot of other players, which obviously has its own benefits.

432JuanMata

This City team simply doesn't rely on a prolific striker. They haven't had one all year and they're doing fine. Their top scorer is a midfielder on 12 goals, and they've had 16 different scorers already.

So Lukaku would just be another piece in the puzzle that can be useful in games against the likes of Burnley, Crystal Palace, Newcastle, ... He's always done great against these types of teams (see also his Italian and Belgian NT career).

The problem is that they are playing a false nine and he is heavily involved in the build up play so either they change the way they play slightly or expect Lukaku to be involved in the build up. I feel if they go with the 2nd option he will score plenty but overall will make them worse

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Yeah, I get that point, he does rate very low in the 'pressure' stats, so you definitely are correct in that.
However, the fact he rates pretty high in distance covered suggests that he is maybe making more forward runs than alot of other players, which obviously has its own benefits.
Distance covered is a tricky stat because certain positions can get way more mileage simply because of the way they have to play. If you'll look at Lukaku at Inter you'll see how often he does those vertical runs — Conte shaped Inter game to exploit that feature of his game, and not many other players get chances to make those kind of long-distance runs that often.

Don't get me wrong, Lukaku does those fantastically well, but it doesn't in any way make him more suited to Guardiola's game. In fact, his hold-up play that he showed at Inter also doesn't really suit Pep's style, he simply requires different qualities from his strikers — while Conte needs his striker to be a point of reference (that's literal translation of his term), kind of a more dynamic/modern target man. And he targeted Lukaku for a long time — including that time when he desperately tried to sign him for Chelsea.

meamth

This season is an anomaly, Aguero has declined physically and Pep has to work around it. It worked, for now. But for sure over the years of their successes, Aguero has been the primary source of goals for them.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Distance covered is a tricky stat because certain positions can get way more mileage simply because of the way they have to play. If you'll look at Lukaku at Inter you'll see how often he does those vertical runs — Conte shaped Inter game to exploit that feature of his game, and not many other players get chances to make those kind of long-distance runs that often.

Don't get me wrong, Lukaku does those fantastically well, but it doesn't in any way make him more suited to Guardiola's game. In fact, his hold-up play that he showed at Inter also doesn't really suit Pep's style, he simply requires different qualities from his strikers — while Conte needs his striker to be a point of reference (that's literal translation of his term), kind of a more dynamic/modern target man. And he targeted Lukaku for a long time — including that time when he desperately tried to sign him for Chelsea.
I understand that,
Distance covered isn't the greatest of metrics to use as often a player who takes set pieces for example covers more distance than someone who doesn't, as they are constantly jogging to the set piece etc.
However, when it comes to Lukaku, who is a more traditional forward at Inter now, he does run, a lot, which using the distance covered is a good way of showing this as he is above some midfielders in terms of distance covered, along with other too strikers.

It was levelled at Lukaku that he doesn't run, when it's clear he does.
How that would translate into a Pep side, who knows. I get the impression that Pep is slowly trying to change the way City play, from a possession based team to a more direct team, this season City have played a lot more high and long passes than last season, so maybe that's in his thoughts?!
Personally I can't stand the thought of Lukaku scoring against us wearing a City kit...

I'd be happy if they got him. Yeah, yeah, great goal scoring record, but I don't really fear Lukaku.
yes please. Very happy if he goes there. Kane, Mbappe, Haaland or Kane :lol:

Playing him would make them worse. I don’t rate him, but he can work in some teams. He wouldn’t work for City.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Will score a lot for sure, but will also frequently be joke of the week with some of his clumsy touch.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I’d laugh my arse off if he went there.

“it’s 2-2, city need another for the title. Here’s Balotelli...oh...LUKAKUUUUuuuuu oh he’s fallen over. And there goes the full time whistle.”

Tallis

I just don’t see it - Pep’s teams rely on team movement and fast interplay. He will be a weak link in that chain.

I rate Lukaku as a player. He obviously left on bad terms but he is a consistent goal scorer and gives an added dimension to his team. I actually don’t think it was his quality that caused Ole to get rid - it was more his attitude which seems to have irked him. We don’t know the exact details but the events paint a clear picture.

Eugenius

Has he actually improved since he left us or is he just now taking penalties and playing a weaker league?

He scored 27 for us in open play in his first season so could easily have been doing his Inter numbers for us if was on pens. But beneath the stats he rarely scored important goals (quite a few late in the game on the counter in Mourinho's 2nd season), was useless in big games and obviously was pretty shit at actually holding the ball up.

Lee565

I know the general census on here is to mock lukaku as someone that is clumsy on the ball but he has pulled off some brilliant assists for united, Belgium and inter that any creative player would be proud of.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I know the general census on here is to mock lukaku as someone that is clumsy on the ball but he has pulled off some brilliant assists for united, Belgium and inter that any creative player would be proud of.
He was a streaky player for us. When he had good games every element of his football was excellent. He could do everything. When he had bad games it all fell apart. It was the bad games that gave him the reputation for being a pub footballer, whose second touch was always a tackle.

He seems to be producing a lot more good than bad games at Inter under Conte. Chances are the same would happen with Pep as manager.

George the Cat

No replacement for Aguero according to Pep, they cannot afford it. Pull the other one.

Halftrack

He has a cult like of people who hate him that much that can't see the truth. He is scoring bloody goals. How our no9s doing this season? All with superior technique than him.
And flopped massively? That is overreaction.
Bit rich, coming from you.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
He has a cult like of people who hate him that much that can't see the truth. He is scoring bloody goals. How our no9s doing this season? All with superior technique than him.
And flopped massively? That is overreaction.
You're comparing Serie a to Premier league which is a tier above when it comes to player quality - Statistically it's not even a top 3 league anymore :houllier:
Inter are gonna win the Serie A this season yet they went out of the UCL group stages for the 2nd time in a row - failing to score vs fecking Shaktar in both legs and please don't give me that crap about Conte being shit in Europe. The only team still in an European competition are Roma who are known for being perenial bottlers. The Italian league's been really poor for years now but Serie A fans can't seem to fathom that.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Pep has already said there's no striker coming. It'll be Jesus or KDB up top.

KDB when we need to dominate the ball with Bernardo in cm, Pep likes this as it reduces counter opportunities when Kdb gives away the ball. In games where he feels we need a 9 it'll be Jesus. Pep loves him and his record is very good despite him not being WC.

Benching Jesus for Lukaku would be a crime.

Pep has already said there's no striker coming. It'll be Jesus or KDB up top.

KDB when we need to dominate the ball with Bernardo in cm, Pep likes this as it reduces counter opportunities when Kdb gives away the ball. In games where he feels we need a 9 it'll be Jesus. Pep loves him and his record is very good despite him not being WC.

Benching Jesus for Lukaku would be a crime.
You know managers lie all the time...

padr81

Supports
Man City
You know managers lie all the time...
Yup but I don't think there's any around that represent value or would get in our team. Haaland and Kane are out of our range, Ings and Lukaku no better than Jesus, plus bring one in bar maybe Kane demands s tactical re-jig. It makes no sense, a Fernandinho replacement and maybe a Lb if Mendy goes will be our summer.

Yup but I don't think there's any around that represent value or would get in our team. Haaland and Kane are out of our range, Ings and Lukaku no better than Jesus, plus bring one in bar maybe Kane demands s tactical re-jig. It makes no sense, a Fernandinho replacement and maybe a Lb if Mendy goes will be our summer.
i think it’s two fold, firstly he doesn’t think want to be talking about a shiny new striker, when Aguero has been a big part player the past year, and thus upsetting his current strike force when they are going for 4 trophies. Not a good time to put long term doubt into any player.

secondly, they don’t want to get wrapped up in the speculation and bidding up of certain players.

Chekov

Supports
Internazionale
You're comparing Serie a to Premier league which is a tier above when it comes to player quality - Statistically it's not even a top 3 league anymore :houllier:
Inter are gonna win the Serie A this season yet they went out of the UCL group stages for the 2nd time in a row - failing to score vs fecking Shaktar in both legs and please don't give me that crap about Conte being shit in Europe. The only team still in an European competition are Roma who are known for being perenial bottlers. The Italian league's been really poor for years now but Serie A fans can't seem to fathom that.
I really think that is not true. Juventus and Inter are not far away from Man City and Liverpool. PL is a bit overrated this term.

Milan and Manchester United are similiar in quality, City, Liverpool, Chelsea all are similiar in quality with Inter, Juventus, Atalanta.

The mid-table teams in PL is probably a little bit higher quality than Serie A mid table though. But not that big difference.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I really think that is not true. Juventus and Inter are not far away from Man City and Liverpool. PL is a bit overrated this term.

Milan and Manchester United are similiar in quality, City, Liverpool, Chelsea all are similiar in quality with Inter, Juventus, Atalanta.

The mid-table teams in PL is probably a little bit higher quality than Serie A mid table though. But not that big difference.
You’re having a laugh. You can’t use one off ties in Europe to assess the relative strength of leagues. Motivation, prioritisation, rest etc., all play huge factors in continental competition.

Milan would be mid table at best in the PL. the rigours of the season and depth of squad required to be top four are brutal. Inter wouldn’t be top four. Serie A has no depth. It’s a clear step down from the PL.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

Utd were shocking against Milan, probably played to 50% of our abilities and still won the tie. That says it all to be honest.

ReallyUSA

Didn't he do pretty fecking good on the wing for us in his last year?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Utd were shocking against Milan, probably played to 50% of our abilities and still won the tie. That says it all to be honest.
I mean, that was a 30% milan as well and united were shocking in part because of milan...

But yeah, serie A is a pretty clear step below the PL. Inter are nowhere near the likes of City or Liverpool at their best, they're more United's level, and it goes down from there...

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I mean, that was a 30% milan as well and united were shocking in part because of milan...

But yeah, serie A is a pretty clear step below the PL. Inter are nowhere near the likes of City or Liverpool at their best, they're more United's level, and it goes down from there...
I still wish Utd could have got through against Sevilla last season (we really should have!) and played Inter in the final. I think we would have won that and it would have been great bragging rights.

Chekov

Supports
Internazionale
You’re having a laugh. You can’t use one off ties in Europe to assess the relative strength of leagues. Motivation, prioritisation, rest etc., all play huge factors in continental competition.

I disagree, PL fans have saif

Milan would be mid table at best in the PL. the rigours of the season and depth of squad required to be top four are brutal. Inter wouldn’t be top four. Serie A has no depth. It’s a clear step down from the PL.
Its been the same for years, pl-fans think premier league is stronger than it is. This time i actually think PL is strong and probably the strongest league out there, but its not a big difference with la liga and serie a. But keep in believing, reminds me of the hype of England in WC/EC. Overrated.

padr81

Supports
Man City

Would you say they are even on Uniteds level? I mean their entire squad are PL cast offs and could no longer cut it at United for various reasons but I wouldn't say United fans were sad to see the back of many of them.

Zlatattack

City have a tremendous squad with no obvious weakness other than up front. They also have a lot of oil money.

Why would they not spend their entire budget on Haaland or Kane and instead get Lukaku? Seems daft to me.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
Would you say they are even on Uniteds level? I mean their entire squad are PL cast offs and could no longer cut it at United for various reasons but I wouldn't say United fans were sad to see the back of many of them.
Which entire squad? I mean, Inter’s starting 11 are: Handanovic - Skriniar De Vrij Bastoni - Hakimi Barrella Brozovic Eriksen/Vidal Perisic - Lukaku Lautaro.

That’s 1/11 players from United - but if that’s considered the entire squad...

After all, United’s best player is a guy who couldn’t cut it in a mid table Serie A side :) Someone who has scored more goals in this EPL season than he managed in around 120 Serie A matches. But you could argue it’s because Serie A was better tactically hence he struggled while EPL’s lack of tactics and kick and rush football suits him better.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Which entire squad? I mean, Inter’s starting 11 are: Handanovic - Skriniar De Vrij Bastoni - Hakimi Barrella Brozovic Eriksen/Vidal Perisic - Lukaku Lautaro.

That’s 1/11 players from United - but if that’s considered the entire squad...

After all, United’s best player is a guy who couldn’t cut it in a mid table Serie A side :) Someone who has scored more goals in this EPL season than he managed in around 120 Serie A matches. But you could argue it’s because Serie A was better tactically hence he struggled while EPL’s lack of tactics and kick and rush football suits him better.
Wow Inter fans are tetchy.

TheReligion

Abusive
Its been the same for years, pl-fans think premier league is stronger than it is. This time i actually think PL is strong and probably the strongest league out there, but its not a big difference with la liga and serie a. But keep in believing, reminds me of the hype of England in WC/EC. Overrated.
So you complain that PL fans think the PL is the strongest league then accept that it is the strongest league.

Seems legit.